Do you consider discord a botnet? Why or why not? Everyone seems to be using it these days

Do you consider discord a botnet? Why or why not? Everyone seems to be using it these days.

Attached: discord-logo.jpg (1000x563, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discordapp.com/privacy
stallman.org/discord.html
spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

reminder that this is another ad thread

No, its written in JavaScript which is open source

It absolutely is a botnet by the Jow Forums definition. They literally record every keystroke and mouse movement you make.

>Everyone
Stupid kids don't count, so literally no one is using that shit.

> They literally record every keystroke and mouse movement you make

thats a keylogger not a botnet

People here call anything collecting data a botnet.

very botnet

>millions of computers sending data to central server in automated fashion
>not a net of bots

>Everyone seems to be using it these days.

i'd dispute that. the last three discords i visited had nobody on.

in order for it to be a botnet, there needs to be, you know, people using it.

do you have friends? All of my friends who are college-aged use Discord.

No one uses riot/matrix/whatever gay IRC Jow Forums shills for.

>the "zoomers use it so it's the best choice" argument

>Everyone seems to be using it these days.
Everyone who can't sign in to IRC.

Attached: 1492743811504.png (396x382, 173K)

that isn't my argument at all. I'm locked into using it because all my friends use it, and I have no other choice.

>discord
Who?

By that logic literally any centralized internet application is a botnet... like why even go online?

All thats left is bitcoin mining and downloading torrents

>literally any centralized internet application is a botnet
correct

>like why even go online?
t. zoomer
there are other sides besides facebook and youtube

you realize that pretty much all websites including this one are inherently centralized

imagine being an IM protocol hipster, you fucking aids victim.

just because everyone uses it doesnt mean its not a botnet, everyone uses snapchat and instagram, theyre huge botnets

IRC is a botnet too. Anyone in the room can leak logs to the NSA.

no they are not, go look up what decentralized actually means

This is definitely a botnet. It's a program for zoomers who don't care about their privacy.

You have poor friends. Meanwhile, I was recommended Matrix by a friend and now use it extensively.

>free
>massive user base
>no private investment
really makes u think

Attached: 1497734657760.png (386x386, 13K)

>free to use
>centralized
>closed source
>searches your harddrives, claims it's a feature
>searches your running processes, claims it's a feature
Yes

the only protection they use for your password is TLS.
You don't know how they store their passwords.
With a challenge-response login mechanism you could at least be certain that you never reveal the password to any middlemen.

>zoomers
>Facebook
Peak millenial neckbeard

>no one uses alternatives
Yes they do, your friend circle is just dumb.

its spyware /thread

ventrilo, mumble, irc, etc... you have no other choices?

I find it interesting how the term spyware has kinda disappeared after spying on users just became what applications do now.

Why is it that websites that use authenticators only request the authenticator when you get the password right?

What kind of stupid idea was that?!

Yeah those are all options but my friends won't just migrate to another platform unless everyone does. And you always have those people that refuse to or just plain up ignore it

Fuck those people. Don't let them raid with you, and don't let them join your team with a higher K:D than they could do themselves.

Find better friends and playmates.

Attached: weirdalfoil.jpg (350x347, 40K)

I consider it a botnet at it literally takes your data and sells it, it records your chats and conversations for malicious purposes

The success of discord shows that there is an appetite for something like IRC, but a lot of less technical people were put off or afraid of it.

We need a more modern IRC protocol that bundles in low latency VoIP and some of discords other features clearly.

>no proof

discordapp.com/privacy

INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you interact with us through the Services, we may collect information from you, as further described below:
Information You Provide: We collect information from you when you voluntarily provide such information, such as when you register for access to the Services or use certain Services. Information we collect may include but not be limited to username, email address, and any messages, images, transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only) or other content you send via the chat feature.

YES

I hooked up with a cute femboy through Discord and creampied his boypucci, and am currently working on another one, so it's alright by me.

IRC is still thriving. What I don't understand, however, is why the mods ban people who post IRC channels but not discord servers.

Why in the fuck would they do that?

Clearly they are in big Discord's pocket.

Have to admit I've never seen many posts about using IRC and channels, but I am aware that mods kill links to Jow Forums projects like r/a/dio and such.

>Have to admit I've never seen many posts about using IRC and channels
They remove it and ban the person who posted it almost instantly. It honestly pisses me off a little when I see discord links everywhere.

Give me the code of the backend then.

Yeah, just imagine. Everyone is using IRC, but suddenly IM hipsters come out with their botnet fad of the month and start shilling for it.

I THINK its part of a now outdated moderation policy - ages back IRC channels, shady ones at that, were constantly being posted by shitters.

Yes.

It records everything.

You give copyright for everything you send via it. Not only for transfer and display of the data, but for any use.(yes it is in tos)

i want Jow Forums conspiracy theorists to leave already

discord is just fucking disgusting cancer in general.

I'd rather have them spying on me than giving even more information to google

>Implying their exit isn't getting bought by google

fuck of nigger

You are most likely a gamer fag and have bad friends. This says more about your lifestyle choices than it does about the market.

Sure.
But the internet is inherently decentralized its just that some sites/services have become behemoths. The majority of consumer traffic is aggregated in a half dozen sites. And those big platforms generally make their money selling/using user data.
They turn their customers into their product.

Normies are the "bot" component to the botnet. This usage of the term on g predates the NPC meme.

I think you are confused, when I say that the majority of web applications are inherently centralized I am telling you that administrative power of these applications is in the hands of a small group of people. This is a fact, thats literally how a server works. I think you are confusing distributed networks with decentralized applications.

In the case of distributed networks (which can be referred to as decentralized networks), yes there isn't single central server, but the control of all of those servers is still centralized. The word 'decentralized' in this context is referring to lack of a central point of failure, and it is not relevant to your privacy

Again, pretty much all websites including this one are inherently centralized.

oh ok i guess im just not up to date on Jow Forums memes

Weren't they caught redhanded selling user data? Does any user have that article showing that?

Eternal reminder.

Attached: 1527423877387.png (2054x653, 247K)

B O T N E T

Epic le post CIA nigger

I am tired of all threads "____ is botnet !" "The NSA! " "Privacy !" when OPs really dont give a shit about that and only make threads because all those the latest memey topics. No wonder why everybody are migrating to closed communities with strict moderation (Discord,etc)

It's because you don't report them. I report discord and irc links alike and they all get removed within a few minutes.

You can test it yourself. Discord spikes in CPU usage up to 10% when you move your mouse over the window.

Then what are you waiting? Faggot

Posting discord links should give instant bans of ground of spamming.

agree/disagree?

Agree. Do your part and report spammers.

>Only gamerfags use it
Wrong. It was heavily advertised first as a Skype alternative. There are servers for literally everything and every topic. I personally use it for 95%of the time as a regular text messenger. The option to send files up to 8Mb in the free version is also neat.

>But muh botnet
Wear a condom like you should do anyway. Don't use it with your real name and register with a LOLmail address.

>Nobody uses it
A faggot you are. Its user friendly interface makes it attractive for everybody. I know, you probably like stuff that keeps not heavily tech educated people out by being as complicated as possible, but that only makes your platforms small, not Discord.

I mean, they started a few years ago and gathered a huge user base by looking good enough and being free. They introduced the Nitro feature as an optional upgrade that doesn't give you too much and keeps the free version just as usable. Now, by the introduction of their own gamester, they are potentially on the edge of making major money if they can get the big developers on their platform. This whole business strategy was the work of a genius, no shit.

Hate me now, let the salt flow. Its the truth that hurts you, not me.

Half the time I spend on Jow Forums nowadays is just reporting people anyway. If I can't have fun here anymore because of over-anxious janitors, then others should not be allowed either.

I rarely report posts but once in a while I come across something so repulsive I just have to smash that report button.

Reminder that only mods can ban. All jannies can do is delete posts.

That's the case for every single chat platform, don't be retarded.

>leaking logs
There's probably NSA agents in the channel.

They are actually detected as spam on several boards.

Fuck off, (((HypeSquad))) shill.

Attached: 1536194320699.png (1255x541, 101K)

Yes, not just that. It is bad by architecture. It is based on the so called Electron Framework, so what you think is a native Application is just a full blown chrome browser without any controlling UI. So you just see the website.
There is nothing more lazy then using Electron in a scenario like gaming. It uses lots of Ram, lots of CPU and chrome has some bad habits of changing how your windows kernel gives calculating time to application in favor of chrome what also applies to Electron Apps.

>All of my friends who are college-aged
Children.

That's why you just use the web app in your default web browser. Install the client is equivalent to opening the door for an armed robber.

>JavaScript
Are you a total faggot? Just because the language it is written in is a open standard. it does not mean the application is open souce stupid cunt.

>consider
there's nothing to consider, it's balatantly a botnet and they brag about it
i guess the proper answer is to just not care

All my college-aged friends use IRC and SMS.
t. 24yo boomer

>>no private investment
Like you totally forgot tencent.

> Let see what god as to say about that
stallman.org/discord.html

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (620x413, 107K)

When I say something on discord suddenly that specific thing comes up in my youtube recommended when I haven't made mention anywhere else of this thing but discord.

Literally owned by chinks. For those of you not in the know Tencent is the same company that owns QQ, WeChat and Riot Games. When you use Discord your literally giving the Communist Party of China your personal information.

Here is the fucking redpill my dude
spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

>When you use Discord your literally giving the Communist Party of China your personal information.

If i gave it to a Terror State called USA, or to a capitalistic totalistic state ironically ruled by a Communistic Party. I guess i would not even care. Its more the Electron base that pisses me of.

#woke

>Electron
It's a fucking web app. What are you going to make it with? PHP?

whats fuinny is this thread is on both RIGHT Now

It's a psyop to determine what the opinions are on Discord across different boards. /v/ eats that shit up and doesn't bat an eye while most of Jow Forums avoids it like the plague.

Literally permanently records everything you type for advertising purposes. What the fuck do you think?

>2018
>still allowing third-party cookies

Why must you reply?

Attached: bait.png (502x560, 366K)