Bent socket pins

I have a motherboard here which works just fine with an i3-2100. I got a new Xeon E3-1220 v2 in the mail and while the mobo claims compatibility, when I put the CPU in, nothing happens. No lights, no beeps nothing. I can swap them back and forth indefinitely and the i3 will boot perfectly every time. Upon closer inspection, it looks like there are a few bent/funky pins on the motherboard itself. So, two questions
1) could this be responsible for the new cpu not working
2) why would it boot with the i3 if that is the case?

pic related, but not my socket

Attached: IMG_2272.jpg (663x799, 301K)

Other urls found in this thread:

supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c202_c204/x9scl-f.cfm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Alright, what's the exact model of your motherboard?

Supermicro X9SCL-F

supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c202_c204/x9scl-f.cfm

you can see that a few pins are slightly buggered

Attached: IMG_4860.jpg (2285x2443, 1.65M)

make sure your bios is updated to the latest version, sometimes CPUs won't work unless they get a bios compatibility fix.

The sockets match up, that shouldn't be your problem. It's almost definitely the bent pins.
You said your i3 still boots with those bent pins?
Also try this

I'll double check that, thanks

>You said your i3 still boots with those bent pins?
100%, works with no issues. Runs 24-7 as a server

is there any way to fix the pins? I mean they're clearly bent but they're so damn close to where they should be... I moved them around with a needle but it seems to have no effect

>is there any way to fix the pins?
carefully bend them back. i've had this happen before, enjoy wasting an hour of your life wondering if you'll fuck up

>I moved them around with a needle but it seems to have no effect
i used a very tiny flat head screwdriver

yeah, just checked, latest bios release notes are just for Spectre, no CPU support added

Not that user but I have two SuperMicro X9 dual socket boards. They definitely need a BIOS update to go from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge for the E5-2600s. It wouldnt hurt to try it anyways.

I suppose I will as a last resort, although I suspect that it's simply not that. The bios was released this year, in June. Ivy Bridge came out in like.. 2013? 2015?

yeah if its from this year then it is recent enough

Any idea if it could be related to "IPMI Firmware"? Mine is apparently old as fuck, 1.08, and I see someone talking about being on revision 3.0+ in a forum post

No

my old sandy bridge motherboard had bent pins causing 3 of the ram slots to not work. I got out my desktop stand magnifying glass and tried my pins back into position with a needle. managed to get one of the ram slots working again, but the other two are just dead.

as far as I can tell all four slots work, but the thing that confuses me the most is the fact that the i3 CPU works but the xeon doesn't

Do the higher end chips use more pins for some reason...?

you missed a bent pin it's on the very bottom left where the 2 sections meet

Attached: missed one.jpg (2285x2443, 1.79M)

Use some fine point tweezers to fix them, if the bends are more than 45°, don't try.

>you missed a bent pin it's on the very bottom left where the 2 sections meet
will it being only slightly off like that actually make a difference?

well fuckin' A, man, i guess even a tiny bend does make a difference
now i just have to make sure each ram slot works heh

Attached: IMG_4861.jpg (4032x3024, 3.91M)

glad you got it working user

Attached: FEELS GOOD MAN.png (195x179, 46K)

Nice, is that ram enough for you though?

im testing with just one stick, i figured i'd order more when i confirm that this frankencomputer works first.

glad i waited since i still dont know, currently 2/4 slots confirmed...

So, potentially retarded question: I've been pulling the heatsink off without repasting the chips over and over, and frankly I'm afraid to remove the CPU again for fear that I'll have to deal with this bad pin bullshit all over again... what are the odds this will actually matter in practice? Are my temps gonna be bad? Should I repaste it?

Apparently the i3 just doesn't utilize the formerly damaged pins. Why doesn't the Intel Jew simply not apply the contacts to the bottom of the cheaper chip if they're not even used?

The NC pins still provide mechanical strength, and evens out the stress distribution. They also can pull more heat from the chip into the ground plane.

I see why they'd be on the mobo itself but why leads on the CPU?

You don't need to remove the CPU from the socket to repaste it.

Maybe the Xeon uses these pins for power or something like that. Look at the socket specsheet

fair enough, just thought it would be easier to clean with ackahawl

>Look at the socket specsheet
lol no thanks gramps if it doesn't show up in 10 seconds in google i'm asking social media and, failing that, buying a new one

Attached: wwii good evil brain meme.png (696x748, 434K)

I find it easier to do in place. Put it on a rag first and you'll be fine. Moving the CPU again might snap those broken pins. Don't mess with it now that it's working.

evil and good are relative

>evil and good are relative
no they're not

the duality of man

Attached: brain meme sage bait.jpg (680x1388, 225K)

It allows for heat to be transferred out of the chip even if it's any a small percentage. They might be marked as NC, but check to see if they short to each other and the ground pins.

Bend them back. Durrr.

It's more expensive to manufacture multiple types of socket than it is to leave the additional pins on there. Tooling and management cost vs a few tenths of a cent of metal.

Because Xeons and i3s use the same fucking thing as base, and generalizing is often cheaper than specializing.

Also a good point

Yes, they are. What a society think it's "right" can be interpreted as wrong by another. Right and wrong are just ideas and can't be defined.

main reason

>Yes, they are. What a society think it's "right" can be interpreted as wrong by another. Right and wrong are just ideas and can't be defined.

Attached: pEXWuIY.jpg (900x675, 126K)

You are free to come back when you acquire enough brainpower to understand and discuss such concepts.

>You are free to come back when you acquire enough brainpower to understand and discuss such concepts.

Attached: 847169841228430465.jpg (367x500, 26K)

This. There is also no such thing as race.

If you are talking about humans, there isn't. It's more like breeds/ethnicities.

>breed
ok

ive bent pins back in place using tweezers before maybe try something like that

It's more accurate than race tho

ty for enlightening us

you are welcome