Linux Steam market share keeps on growing

Numbers are out and the Linux Steam market share had another huge growth of 0.05% this month increasing the total number of GNU/Linux on the platform to a whopping 0.72%.
store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

More and more native Linux games are being released. Additionally, over 2,700 Windows games can be enjoyed using Steam Play's proton technology on Linux. Then there's all the great games like SuperTuxRacer included in the distributions repos.

It's just a question of time before it's over for Microsoft's desktop stronghold. IBM failed to take back the desktop with OS/2 but it's just a question of time now that they have assimilated RedHat.

Attached: steam-warez-survey-oct2018-fs8.png (1437x853, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7174-lifting_the_fog_on_red_star_os
insinuator.net/2015/07/redstar-os-watermarking/
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam
koreaboo.com/lists/kyletitle-6-things-that-surprise-foreigners-about-korean-internet-cafes/
github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton
tomshardware.com/news/steam-hardware-survey-cpu-gpu,37007.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Steam is a proprietary DRM service and should not be used. If you value freedom, you won't play proprietary video games. Furthermore the goal of modern video gaming is either to get you to spend more money on literal gambling (loot boxes) or to get you addicted to the point where you waste hundreds of dollars on virtual clothing.

OS/2 is technology

But this topic is more centered around video games than it is technology.
"Whoo we can game on GNU/Linux now!"
It'd be Jow Forums fit if you spoke about the support for Linux improving. So,

It's just a bunch of people testing Proton.

>huge growth of 0.05%

Attached: 1532296974351.jpg (549x549, 62K)

one of the greater shortcomings of the human mind is the inability to understand exponential functions. If a user-base grows by just 0.05% per month then the amount of new users added to the total increases each and every month even if the percentage that user-base grows by remains constant. The result is that the total increases faster and faster until GNU/Linux is EVERYWHERE encompassing every office, every home, every school and every church. North Korea has already shown us what a such a future with their Red Flag Linux could look like. Look it up, it has builtin kernel modules that can not be removed as root which work with user-space programs that are hidden from the user. These programs will add a watermark to each and every file opened using the system and it won't replace prior watermarks already in files, it will add to them creating a chain of everyone who has opened the file since it was created. This is the ultimate control system, this is the prison grid turning the entire world into a cashless control system. No food, no water, no nothing without it. They are actually announcing it, there's press releases about the IBM takeover of Redhat everywhere and it's easy to see what's coming: A conversion of Redhat and Fedora to a RedFlag type surveillance system. Now I've tried to warn you but you won't listen, will you?

Attached: 1540554465833.jpg (945x645, 121K)

>Loonix
gay

Based schizo poster

North Korea's Red Star Linux OS really does watermark every single file opened on your computer, btw. And it really is based on earlier versions of Fedora.
media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7174-lifting_the_fog_on_red_star_os
insinuator.net/2015/07/redstar-os-watermarking/

>exponential functions
linux users are not multiplying organisms.

so 20 months per every 1%, 83+ years to reach 50% market share.

Attached: 0504cf983081c6b067c614380695eac1f6b2c56f_hq.jpg (490x276, 19K)

Who the fuck cares and what's even the relationship with Fedora?
You said it yourself, NK's OS uses a compromised kernel.
Which is literally the most monitored thing in any distro. Good luck tricking people into using your spyware distro.

You can release games on Steam without DRM tho, it's totally up to the producer.

based gaben will release half life 3 as a linux exclusive, i'm calling it

No, STEAM is the DRM. You can't run the game without Steam.exe or equivalent

Jesus Christ, Nvidia has 75% marketshare on Steam and Intel has 80%, how the fuck can AMD compete?

They already tried to release Steam machines that were just PCs running their distros, now they released this proton thing. They are planning something, and judging by Gaben that is a guy that already worked for Microsoft and doesn't really like them, they want to take over.

That's not true for every Steam game though.
You can at least play a Steam copy Fallout 1&2 and Europa Universalis 4 without using Steam

Except you can release games on Steam without the Steam default DRM, many indie games do this.

Now think how many computers have Steam installed. .72% of that is actually a huge number. Close to 1 out of every hundred people that uses Steam is on Linux. Compared to where we were even 5 years ago that is massive.

pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam

Once you get a certain percentage that will start snowballing.

>a whopping 0.72%
Dunno if I should cry or laugh.
Probably both.

You are forgetting that the amount of Linux users is also limited, you can only grow to a limit.

By continuing to make stable graphics cards that don't require annual oven bakes.

Well, it was worse.

>If you value freedom, you won't play proprietary video games
True freedom is about making informed decisions on what will and won't limit you. Completely excluding all proprietary software is just silly.

Now read the whole thing again and try to figure out if it was sarcastic or not

>mac pro
>having a mac pro and playing games on it
Top kekkle

Making an informed decision to give up your freedom isn't a good thing, although it is better than being forced into giving up your freedom.

>Completely excluding all proprietary software is just silly.
It is not us who to seek to exclude, the proprietary developers are the ones who wish to do that. They are the ones who are making it an issue of black and white, excluding all people who wish to have freedom from using their software.

>mac pro gaming market share is slightly higher than linux
don't think either group bought their systems just to play games, though

This is true. The trickle will become a flood.

> 0.05%

wow dude solid extra 1 person with the 20 people that use linux to game

It's funny because I had to reinstall os/2 v4 today at work!

Underrated.

>Windows 7 so low even though we still have more than a year of support
W7 fags on suicide watch.

>IBM failed to take back the desktop with OS/2 but it's just a question of time now that they have assimilated RedHat.
the irony is palpable
based
warp 4 is the best

who the fuck has win7nstalled?
huawei vr? does that even exist in this country? is this chinkland?

>who the fuck has win7nstalled?
chinks and poos mostly.

Attached: StatCounter-windows_version-ww-monthly-201810-201810-map.png (1116x645, 358K)

this but unironically
it's only a matter of time before nu-IBM ruins it

>north korea
>win 8.1
??????????????
>legend for win2003
>not on map

>not on map
South Sudan.

me

best korea wins again

Is win10 still rebooting your pc whenever it wants?

What's the 0.17% of Other video cards.

Your own preferences of what makes something /b/, /v/, Jow Forums, or anything is irrelevant. This is tech talk. Go away smelly fucker.

No. That stopped when I moved on from Win7 about 5 years ago.

>half of Africa more up to date than China and Russia
kind of unexpected

Attached: windows-2000.jpg (1334x750, 51K)

I'm planning on putting Linux on all my machines this weekend, going to see if I can "survive" a month of using Linux exclusively.

>huge growth of 0.05%
>whopping 0.72%

Attached: ebin.png (956x836, 241K)

Being optimistic I can possibly see Linux hitting 7-10% usage on Steam by the end of next year.

That's what he is saying. You can release a game through Steam, but make it playable without Steam having to be present on your computer after installation.

lol amd has gone DOWN since bulldozer
wamp wamp wamp

The massive wave of chink cyber cafe PC's have really skewed numbers, most are running Intel and some variety of Nvidia 1050 or 1060, it makes it hard to know what home users have installed

>0.7-1.0%
fixed

It becomes a somewhat different story if you flip "what home users have" to "what people use to play games". If you look around for gaming cafes where I live you won't find any, they do not exist. People in this country tend to have bigger apartments or houses and room for and also the ability to buy computers. That's not the case in large parts of Asia. Gaming/Internet cafes are as common as traditional cafes in cities in Japan, Korea and China. Having more than a smartphone at home isn't. The numbers on Steam are probably correct when it comes to what kind of systems people are using to play games there.

Now that you've read all this, imagine switching browser tab and clicking beer or chicken or whatever and 1 minute later it's sitting there beside you ready to be consumed. I do see the appeal.

Attached: young-people-online-at-an-upscale-boutique-internet-cafe-gaming.jpg (607x402, 137K)

But Intel and Nvidia activity sponsor many of these cafes, which makes it even shadier than fanboys. Might be interesting if Steam do a regional breakdown of hardware usage.

Though, afaik the largest growing market for gaming laptops is Asia. Which is again, Intel and Nvidia dominated

>Linux hw survey
>Reliable
It's shit and absolutely not a benchmark. You get the survey randomly, and quite often at the worst possible times - i.e. when dual booting to windows (the Linux community has been complaining about this for ages). 0.05% might as well be margin of error.

>Korean Internet Cafes are outfitted with some of the latest computer components and peripherals. This includes top of the line graphics cards such as the GTX 970 or 1060
>top of the line graphics cards such as the GTX 970 or 1060
>top of the line
koreaboo.com/lists/kyletitle-6-things-that-surprise-foreigners-about-korean-internet-cafes/
$1 per hour for playing games sounds quite reasonable. I do see why people could prefer to pay $5 once a week to game the entire evening instead of buying a computer. That's $250 per year to game all evening once a week on decent hardware. I guess food and drinks aren't included.

What sort of sad cucklord would choose windows/intel/nvidia over freedom based on nothing but video games? There are more quality video games available for Linux than one could ever find time to play, which all perform more than well enough on AMD hardware.

I've been running steam linux since it launched and never once had a survey.

there are only like 5 computers there so its a bit easier to migrate to a new OS.

I literally have never understood these drooling retards that go on about how buying games on Steam means you don't own them. Yeah on principle it makes sense, but come the fuck on. I bought Spyro the Dragon 20 years ago on PS1, and that disc got scratched when I moved at some point and doesn't work now. I had a shit ton of 360 games, but my 360 red ringed and frankly it was easier to redownload a lot of them on PC than get another unit to play those discs.Today I have a huge library of games that I couldn't possibly hold physical copies of if they were put somewhere. Even then, some asshole could just walk off with a disc case full of my games while I have friends over and I'd never see them all again.

Yes in the theoretical situation that Valve suddenly goes bankrupt and literally nobody wants to buy Steam, for God knows what reason, then those games would be gone. But that's never going to happen, Steam is too valuable to fail. Even if it did go under, I've kept these games for longer than most physical games I've owned anyway. How fucking long do you need to own something to say you actually own it? I'd bet hard money in 50 years at least half of my Steam library would still be downloadable and playable. How many people are going to still have their PS4 and Switch discs/carts lying around in 50 years? Why bother bringing philosophical debates about property ownership into this when it doesn't practically matter?

Attached: 1497651541882.jpg (600x344, 24K)

This is technology you tard.

>north korea 8.1
based as fuck

I wonder what excuse people here will use now to not switch to Linux now that the gayming problem has been solved.

I've never been all that into games myself but I do have a worthless NEET brother living in my mothers basement. He likes to play console games all day every day. I've heard about several multiplayer games that just stopped working because they decided it was too old and turned off the servers. Some still worked in single-player mode. That IS a danger.

As for ownership, you never had more than a "license", not when you paid good money for a box with a disc and not when you paid on steam. I really don't think that "do you own it" matters too much these days anyway since they can decide to just shut down the servers you need to play the game any time. Not really saying they should keep them alive forever, either. People still play Xonotic and there's online servers .. but there's not that many playing it.

If they ever try to screw you (which they won't because they're totally satisfied with their money printer), you can just fucking pirate it.

>just fucking pirate it.
It's not very hard to build proton yourself and run whatever you want without steam...
github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

what is this map, really? Most common windows system for that country, I assume, but it looks so shitty.

>t.neckbeard freetard

>Destroys he's own property.
>Doesn't get hes 360 fixed.
>Doesn't have insurance.

Every fucking one of those is your fault.

>I can't ever imagine a company like Sony or Microsoft delisting our digital games or libraries.

Sony has literally taken entire consoles worth of libraries offline.

I still have carts laying around after 30 years working perfectly. I expect to still have the same carts after another 20 more years.

The issue is with how that affects the market and other companies' business model.

For example, when buying anything from Adobe CS, you now need to pay a monthly fee compared to buying a DRM protected copy. You want the latest version? Buy it. You're happy with the 2014? Go on.

Now 4 months of the fee for one piece of software costs more than buying the same thing did.

>AMD CPUs are merely 16,5%
Damn

>That 14.6% finewine poojet market share.
This is why jacketman can ask for 1.2k dolarydoos and everyone has to pay for it.
How long do we need to wait for AMD to become competitive on high end again?

Spyro disc maybe, but PS1 discs are not going to last long at all anyway for lots of reasons. The 360 is infamous for failing, even with warranty repairs. Insurance also isn't going to fully cover the cost+time of getting those games back.

Or I could stop being a fucking freetard nigger and redownload the games on my computer instead. Like Steam lets me do. In each situation it would've let me keep the games.

And DRM is just a way to enforce licensing restrictions. It was literally the same before DRM. You have never "owned" any video game.

>Windows 10 64 bit 61.24%
>Windows 7 64 bit 29.61%
7boomers finally give up?

Attached: 1465070792243.jpg (800x555, 202K)

If valve decides to ban (VAC) you, your whole library is lost forever. You agree that any violation of your agreement with valve will be viewed by an arbiter (as in "the person hired by valve"). No court or consumer rights judge. If valve bans you for not being Politically Proper or abusing pronouns, you also lose your library. I can imagine this happenning soon, seeing what happens at Facebook or Twitter. Steam makes many attempts to be a gaming social platform.

Their ToS can be changed at any time. You can always opt out, but that is equal to being vac'd. They can literally change it to anything, you also agree to this.

The problem you described with physical media degradation can be solved with copying and backing up your purchased software (or the installer). That's how GOG works. Games bought on Steam (mostly) cannot work without the Steam launcher.

You are like those Applecucks who say "dont use it if you dont like it that much". Not really. If a shitty spoonfeeding service is dominating, alternatives become deprecated. Learn how Microsoft gained its monopoly. Learn the Gresham law.

Attached: b0888cf377c94f8f6d32ff53b5668238.jpg (649x365, 39K)

>If valve decides to ban (VAC) you, your whole library is lost forever.
Who even invented this FUD?

>DRM is bad
Fuck off you pirating cunt. Denuvo is the reason PC gets all game now

prove me wrong then. What happens if valve blocks your account permanently? It's not like I enjoy this.

tomshardware.com/news/steam-hardware-survey-cpu-gpu,37007.html
Bullshit, those have been filtered. It was even worse before, AMD only having a 7% share in GPU and CPU

>0.05% growth
>0.72% marketshare
hahaaa

If you get VAC banned, you can still use your account and games you fucking retard

Some of them. Really looking forward to the coming asshurt in January 2020 when MS finally pulls the plug on 7.

You are a dumbfuck. Get off the board before you spread your low IQ here.

Attached: fed.jpg (479x720, 40K)

samefag

>Me and kim use the same operating system

Awesome, so another 100 years with that growth and it will be the year of Linux.
An other 5 hunder years and we will be running more linux than we can handle
A millenia and the universe will run on lonix.

0.05% is nothing. It's less than margin of error

>Nvidia and Intel has a combined 155% marketshare
Amd is finnised

>0.05% of 20 is 1
What kind of math are you using?

wut

Attached: is-this-bait-20075607.png (500x409, 18K)

kek