Powershell scripting

Is there something akin to codecademy for learning powershell? I want to be able to automate shit at work with a privileged maintenance account.

Attached: 8513A07D-BD00-4C93-A41A-01512650E842.png (512x512, 8K)

Powershill sucks dick also it's basically all Unix commands.

This. However, OP has one of the few valid use cases.

"Powershell in a month of lunches" was actually kino as fuck.

I disagree. It's a fully featured scripting language that's capable of quite a bit if you know what you're doing.
I don't use it at all because I don't use Windows but to say it sucks dick is just dishonest.

RTFM

Is that a good thing? lol No idea what kino means m8

"Very few valid use cases"

I must use all of those in everyday then. I'm in it 24/7

Powershell in a month of lunches will certainly help.

Check out the PSkoans module

Start reading blogs and watching YouTube

False. Actually powershell is better than bash. I wish I had PS for my Slackware and enough shell utilities that supported PS style scripting.

Why the fuck is it dog shit slow? It's even slower than Python? I mean I use it interactively when I need to grab some quick information from AD or MSOL but that's about it. My coworkers drank the cool aid and would live and die by it but it's shit honestly. We had a PowerShell script we'd use to run counts on our clients and because "muh synchronous" it was took about an hour to get through everything. I wrote the same thing in Go and it runs an finishes in 3 minutes.

Powershell is better than bash, but the utilities suck ball sacks

>It's a fully featured scripting language that's capable of quite a bit if you know what you're doing

That's true of all popular scripting languages. Most have a massive head start against PS. For example, Python is light years ahead in terms of its ecosystem and flexibility.

It might be a great language in a world where real scripting languages like Python, Perl, and Ruby did not exist. Perhaps in this horrific alternate reality, people suffered with ancient VB and weird ancient forks of JS, and Powershell was a long-awaited reprieve to soften their abject misery. But I'm glad I never had to live in that ghetto world of "Windows scripting"

ps. bash is still better for interactive use

Just start writing shit and Google what you don't know. That's how I leaned it.

Unix shells could learn a thing or two from powershell. Passing objects is much more convenient than dicking around with shit like sed or awk.

Uhhh power shell is available for linux

Fuck off OOP cuck

>hidden state and aliasing
>constant churn and allocation of objects makes pipelines slow
>requires .net runtime and can't interop well outside of it
>runtime also takes fucking ages to start up
>can't serialize intermediate steps into files or over the network
>thus ssh would always be crippled
>...if it existed at all lel who needs a remote shell anyways amirite

Bash is honestly better. And bash sucks and is much older, so it's honestly an accomplishment to be worse than it

you can remote PS now via a Windows logon. It's made my job a breeze.

Good cinema nigger

Attached: 1536541120551180.png (798x418, 12K)

Since there are smarter people than me here, is there a way to pass a powershell object to a windows program without serialising it into something like JSON?

There's a memrise course for powershell syntax. That should be useful. You won't find it in the app tho, you have to google it online and the link will redirect you back to the app (if phoneposter).

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-02-08-39-21.png (720x1280, 174K)

I'll assume you haven't been to the Microsoft
site. The manual is scattered across the internet and you need a sherpa to find it.

I have been using pluralsight. 4/10. The advanced courses are way above my level and I am currently slugging through what is a for loop level of garbage.

Powershell is pretty compfy I use it mainly to create install wrappers for mass deployment to clients and general estate management. Yeah it's slow but with powershell 3 and above you can look into using work flows to run asynchronous tasks makes it abit quicker

PowerShell is garbage.

>that fucking formatting
Either stop typing like a fucking sped or piss off back to r*ddit, you worthless waste of space. Your post is unreadable dogshit with no substance. Go fuck your mother.

You're a fucking retard, it's a shell script of course it's slow. It's no slower than any other shell script, of course you can write faster or slower scripts, again like anything else.

Fucking brainlet opinions. Powershell has a unique use can and it does that one thing quite well. Of course its not perfect but you faggots evidently arent even qualified to critique it.

The guy you're responding to also points out you need utilities that work with it. The whole point of powershell is object-based shell/pipe-lining, and everything in linux is text-based, so powershell is pretty useless there.

Again, a supremrely fucking stupid opinion. Powershell isn't about "OOP" you mongloid.

Half of this is wrong.

Learn to write faster executing scripts. No Powershell-themed book will tell you how though.

I can't comment on all your >implications but
>>can't serialize intermediate steps into files or over the network
is wrong, you can use Export-Clixml to export variables to an xml file and Import-Clixml to import them afterwards. Network serialization happens anyways when remoting, remote sessions can store data until requested to be retrieved. It seems you don't know that Powershell has had remoting for a good decade now?

What do you mean by "windows program"? I have a few functions that utilize cli applications underneath, all desired parameters to configure the application are passed via command line, the application then figures out what goes where.
If you need to pass a lot of data, you can export either as json or csv to a file, whichever you feel is easier to deal with, and then have the application read that. Unless you're writing something in C# there's no way around that I guess.

No, nobody uses that shit so it will probably hard to find anything on it.

>rare