compiling your own chromium, GCC, and Qt is actually kinda retarded

Attached: no.png (1873x1917, 1.06M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/63.0/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>t. corelet

true

Try to compile dev-hackell + dev-rust + kde + xorg + chromium (included webkit-gtk) + metaspoit

Using Chronomium is actually kinda retarded faggot

>compiling your own chromium
firefox does not have this problem
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/63.0/

>chromium
yeah you shouldn't use gentoo until you stop using google shit you moron

i always thought people used gentoo to release their own binaries for a group of computers

Do you have any arguments to back that up?

The problem is... what else should I use?
I'm fine with systemd, but I want control over my system and bleeding edge updated packages.

Literally any bleeding edge distro?

Arch you faggot.

reddit

apparently there are only two: arch and debian sid. the second one is not even a distro in itself, it's a stage in the debian development process.

>chromium

I installed it in a vm just to try it out. Gods was i stupid then. Emerge world took fucking forever

Install Gentoo.

This. 2/10 wouldn't recommend.

Attached: 1505676210697.png (499x559, 345K)

Take months to do this

>compiling custom, cpu optimised code is retarded
>good post

Install Gentoo.

yeah it's a pain when these updates fall the same day

Install Gentoo.
This.

Attached: 1533455704711.jpg (953x1200, 271K)

For all the archlets complaining about long compile times:
1.) You're using harmful software
2.) You're using bloated software
3.) You're probably a corelet
4.) You're probably a threadlet

Install Gentoo.

Attached: 1535252894081.png (1500x1250, 858K)

Use binaries
The way gentoo was meant to be

install gentoo, corelet

I install Linux to run on low spec hardware. Gentoo is useless.

I'm so glad I requested that be made in a drawfag thread. It's the only request of mine to fulfilled, but I think that's just fine.

Install Gentoo.

Gentoo is for the brainlets who don't know how to make LFS

First and last time i installed gentoo was 2006, spent a week compiling everything for my DE then said fuck it and installed ubuntu dapper drake.

>first post isn't "install gentoo"
lame

using gentoo in general is kinda retarded.

come at me faggots. I'll finish up my programming then boot up my favourite game. glhf cunts.

>chromium and qt

you shouldn't even own a computer user

Gentoo is great for low-spec hardware. Just don't compile the packages using only a single low-spec machine (unless you really want or need to for some reason) - it's typically better to use distcc or a build server if your Gentoo installation is for a low-end device.

t. CIA

using Gentoo atm. should i switch to debian sid?

I'm wondering the same desu. Either sid or arch.

>bleeding edge updated packages
As someone who is tired of even yearly software cycles what is the appeal of this?

>2018
>being a corelet
Come the fuck on, even Intlels are abandoning the old 4c8t corelet CPUs.

Use the cloveros BINHOST, brainlet. I bet you even use emerge in single-threaded, sequential mode.

New software and new features. Developers literally update their stuff to improve it.
If you spend a lot of time at your pc, you probably have time to maintain your system updated and you can enjoy the benefits of software improvements. If you don't have time you can stick to something like debian stable.

Fixing everything that breaks because they're NEETs who have nothing to do all day

I went from stage3 tarball to KDE and Firefox in under twelve hours on an FX-8350 with -j8 and -march=native. Are Those other ebuilds really that much worse?

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

i wanna try gentoo. is 8 threads and 8gb ram enough? the 8 threads are piledriver. should i have more than 8gb? 12gb? 20gb?

but they dont compile

You'll really want 16GB so you get an 8G tmpfs for scratch space.

I use it with 8gb and honestly it's not enough. I have a 12GB swap partition and when I compile big stuff I actually use it and I'm unable to use my system comfortable meanwhile.
I hardly believe 12GB are enough too. You probably want 16 or more, but you can live with 8 as I do. Even if it sucks.

cant you like just not use bloated software?

cant you just not use bloated software?

using bloatware like chromium, GCC, and Qt is actually kinda retarded

alright ill probably try to put 16gb in + the 4gb i have now, so 20gb

I do spend alot of time at my PC but at the same time don't see the tangible benefits of updating to something new as soon as it get a new github commit
Don't fix it if it isn't broken basically

Then what do you use?

who is on the right?

It's not always a fix, but it's often an improvement. I'd like to try jupyter lab for example, but I can't find it on many distro.
If you spend many hours at your pc why don't you use some of them to get shiny new software? If you use your pc only for working I do understand you rather not spend time for this shit, but if using a computer is your form of entertainment I don't see anything wrong in spending time to improve your software... even if it's time demanding (and let's be real, it's not *that* time demanding after all).

lynx, tcc, bash

Lynx? Really?

Anons like these, they laugh.
>Install Gentoo
"Ha HA," they chortle ignorantly, "well meme'd, my friend."
But the Jow Forumsentoomen, they know the truth... That it isn't a meme at all, but a path to nirvana. A means by which to come to the actualization of the perfect operating system, built just for you, by you. Only through the constant installation and re-installation of Gentoo can one come to this enlightenment.
Years, they spend, deep in their basements... Concocting the ideal partition tables and encryption schemes, USE flags and compiler optimizations, window manager configs and rices... Training endlessly, in an exercise most people would see as ultimately futile, and pointless. But these people, these ... normies ... they will never understand the ineffable satisfaction this brings, to build the perfect system. The last laugh will belong to the Jow Forumsentoomen, as corporate and government interference and homogeneity across distros and platforms takes over, the rest shall be left in the dark...

based.

Attached: 1509918269573.jpg (540x393, 13K)

If the time needed to compile that code is more than the time saved by using optimized programs, then yes it's retarded

But it can be compiled idly

Gentoo is on the left, but who is on the right?

I'm guessing source mage

This, folks, is what a true brainlet looks like.

A character from Katawa Shoujou, the Jow Forums VN about disabled anime girls.

Yes but it's a waste of energy because you could just download a precompiled binary, and you're also wearing out your fans, thermal paste and battery (if you have a laptop) for a stupid reason

tfw 32 cores and 64gb ram
things just fly when building in tmpfs everything

Meh, 16GB of RAM is more than enough to build pretty much anything in TMPFS. By the way what processor do you have?

2xOpteron 6386se (muh coreboot)
16GB RAM is NOT enough. I had 32GB before and it was not enough, that's why I got another 64GB.

I dont even use gentoo but this is a terrible argument

Damn, I meant "another 32GB".

Wait, francesco, is that you?

Nope.

It's ridiculous that 32GB are not enough. I have 8 in my laptop and I'm already sick that I have to close everything and use swap when I'm compile some sort of stuff. I had no idea 32 are still too little. Fuck this shit, I'm planning to switch to something else and sadly arch looks like one of the few good options.

I run Gentoo and I have 16GB of RAM. I leave 8GB for TMPFS for portage to build on and I never had any issues.

>gentoo grub
Haha no.

It depends how many threads you use.

I use 32 to maximize my cores. That gives me 2GB/core, which is quite comfortable. Remember that each GCC process takes its own memory.

If you have 4 or 8 threads, 16GB may be enough.

Fair enough.

Explain why

Because the wear is so marginal considering the lifetime of use a laptop is designed for. And if you become more time efficient as a result then it is arguably worth it.

Plus you can just use cpulimit of some other utility to prevent your system from being used at 100% for hours.

Install Gentoo

>is 8 threads and 8gb ram enough
Wow. Back in the day, I used to run it on my 233 MHz Pentium II-based laptop with 256 MB RAM. Sure, it took a few days to compile the base system, but I just left it going for as long as it needed. It was around ten years ago, so yes, the laptop in question was already very severely outdated.

Point being that Gentoo unbloats your software both by being able to unselect features with USE flags, and by compiling everything specifically for your CPU.

>Sure, it took a few days to compile the base system
I don't consider waiting few days to use your (minimal) system acceptable. In fact, I'm starting to consider unacceptable waiting an hours to compile Docker, GCC, GHC, Clang or many other stuff.

Few months ago the Tensorflow and the Rust ebuilds were broken on the official repo. I've literally spent hours to end with an error message. Also, in this fucking distro there are fixes who sits on the bugtracker for way too long (months!). Even if you know jack shit about ebuilds you should have your own overlay to apply patches and fix stuff maintainers forget to merge even after many bumps. And no java 11 in the official repo because one of the few maintainers who actually put a lot of effort for that stuff was banned for violating the CoC. I suppose he is a jerk, but when you have such an evident lack of manpower you can't afford to ban competent people.
In all honesty, this is what annoy me the most. Not compile time.

The point of Gentoo is freedom of choice, to build everything to YOUR exact design and specifications, to choose which features you do or don't want compiled into your software right down to the kernel, to be as stable or as bleeding edge as you please, or as minimal or as bloated as your please, from vanilla defaults to insanely optimized to the point of breakage. You hand-craft it to your needs and wants from the ground up. Yes, it requires a lot of time and a lot of learning, but that's the trade-off for having a system completely optimized just for you and your hardware. If this is not something you desire, then you have no right to bitch about it. You're probably just mad that you got meme'd into something that ended up wasting your time because you're either too lazy to learn or too stupid to realize how ultimately incredible it can potentially be, in which case you should probably find a different board, because this field is clearly not for you.

Attached: 1533175746465.jpg (395x398, 15K)

>I don't consider waiting few days to use your (minimal) system acceptable.
Neither did I say so. I said I installed it on a 233 MHz laptop. There isn't even any comparison with your, relatively speaking, hypermodern hardware.

>t. brainlet who can't read documentation

>Use a backdoored OS
Retard, he just left windows

My memepad x201 can't into compiling chromium. It overheats and suddenly shuts down.

opensuse tumbleweed exists too

Meanwhile, I'm running Gentoo on a T43p with zero issues.

Attached: 1539834083568.png (540x474, 425K)

lmao

what is fedora rawhide and opensuse tumbleweed?

Fedora rawhide apparently is not supposed to be used in your daily driver. It's something Fedora maintainers would use in a virtual machine or in a secondary pc.
I don't know much about opensuse tumbleweed, but it's opensuse and I doubt it's an actually good distro. Especially if you go minimal and you don't use it because of kde.

Gentoo doesn't have this problem

Someome doesn't have the jumbo use flag enabled...

Both are worthless as daily drivers

>chromium on gentoo
enjoy your"re botnet
>what is firefox-bin
>what is distcc

Shit bait.My dual core 2.0GHz thinkpad can compile mesa in 15 minutes.
Just get a 100$ second hand server, set up distccd on it and use it as a compile server.

>He doesn't know what distcc is. wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc

Attached: basically free.png (815x518, 190K)

Spoiled children. I first used Gentoo in 2005 on a 350 MHz Pentium 2 with 1 GB RAM.