Is it worth it? or are there more cost efficient solutions for the same amount of power...

Is it worth it? or are there more cost efficient solutions for the same amount of power? (without getting too bigger in form factor) I wouldn't be surprised if these things were just a meme

Attached: Screenshot_20181102-093559~2.png (1080x1535, 319K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-fiePyi6Xu0
pcpartpicker.com/list/TFLZjy
pcpartpicker.com/list/7Lg6P3
amazon.com/INTEL-NUC-Kit-Component-BOXNUC6CAYH/dp/B01MSZTD8N/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1541176125&sr=1-7&keywords=NUC
pcpartpicker.com/list/T3LZjy
pcpartpicker.com/list/9CNM29
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAHRT8BK4264
youtube.com/watch?v=JM4P0GyTL1I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is space a premium? Perhaps. Otherwise no.

They are just a meme. Just get an 2400g in a mini itx case.

You will need to disable HT.

Do I have to delid?

Yes you will need to carve out the HT with a knife.

Oh so that's what the skull is for!

You're right I can just get a ryzen APU and save money and space. Thanks for reminding me!

>11 CUs with ddr4
vs
>24 CUs with fucking god damned HBM

Can you explain what this means to a retard?

Micro STX or thin-ITX
The real limiting factor is the cooler

Attached: 0AD6C269-78A8-4BCC-87C4-7007D3DAFBDA.jpg (1200x720, 110K)

Being 100% honest here: maybe. It's overpriced for the specs BUT it's better than a laptop. If you neither want to bulkiness of a full desktop PC or the gayness of a laptop then this is a really good deal overall.

One thing you'll have to live with if you don't set the CPU to 3.1 base frequency or undervolt (or at least underclock) properly around ~3.6 GHz for CPU and 1.2 GHz for GPU(HVK GPU/CPU/HBM) is unlocked):
- Somewhat loud fan during gaymen
- overheating and thermal throttling during CPU+GPU workloads
- high temps during very heavy CPU loads

Basically it about the same performance as a GTX 1060 graphics card which is pretty insane for the form factor.

Attached: 1539500055059.webm (426x240, 2.66M)

Again the biggest stick in the mud for this little demon is the shitty i7 that skyrockets in power consumption after ~3.6 GHz.

>Basically it about the same performance as a GTX 1060 graphics card
It's slower than gtx 1060 max q, which is the neutered laptop version of gtx 1060. You could also get a console for half the price and get games with the price difference, which will perform twice as better.

Intel Nuc status: meme

Why would you want this?

Nope, HBM vRAM on the vega m gh graphics is faster and has lower latency than the GDDR5 vRAM on the 1060 max q. The power delivery, VRM/phases, ect on hades canyon also allow vega m gh to maintain full 1.2 GHz (3.7 TFLOPs) unless CPU is maxed out (very rare in games). gtx 1060 max q is unable to do this in most laptops for longer than a few minutes.

So YES, about the same performance as a GTX 1060 graphics card.

pissrow 4 has a theoretical of 4.2 TFLOPs it NEVER sustains and it's even worse on the xbone xxxistential.

also what about *free* games for the nuc?

If you have the money, you don't want a bulky desktop but you don't want the severe throttling issues of 90% of laptops then this is a really good choice. You can vesa mount it on the back of a small cheap monitor and you won't even see it.

No way, is that what's inside the Intel nuc? Did they actually use their failure of a heatsink fan in that thing? Shit is loud, sucks at cooling, and it looks really ugly.

Is that a picture from someone who took it apart or from Intel themselves?

It's as powerful as a console for gaming, it's also a fully fledged computer designed for professional use. It has all the ports you will ever need.

No, cooling is pretty decent for for the NUC. It makes up about half of the NUC in volume alone. Only downside is stick TIM is trash as always.

nope, heatsink comes intol full contact with the die package, no IHS to delid.

Attached: 8574_19_intel-hades-canyon-nuc8i7hvk-review (1).jpg (620x434, 34K)

More desu, the power delivery on this thing and quad-core i7 on this thing runs circles around console APUs with 2 GHz x86 bulldozer cores.

Video for anybody interested in replacing stock TIM:

youtube.com/watch?v=-fiePyi6Xu0

You'll probably only get ~5C lower temps so undervolting the cpu is probably better.

Attached: 685.jpg (381x381, 95K)

That's a big power brick.

Attached: pkg.jpg (2040x1338, 1.24M)

For you.

Attached: 1539457210959.jpg (1920x1080, 328K)

horry sheet

Attached: FOTO_20181102_105213(1).jpg (865x154, 76K)

holy fuck that webm... quick rundown please I'm out of the loop

A radeon 480 is like 200 bucks

No, it's not a NUC. It's some Asrock MicroSTX system.

Nuc is for cuck.

I too am waiting for an explanation of that webm.

Some faggot atheist autistic soiboi gets upset someone is using freedom of speech in public and having his pack of butt buddies with him makes him feel macho even though his arm can be snapped like a twig. Anyway he throws a punch and a very merciful preacher catches it before it can hit one of his own and soiboi gang go on to rant about how freedom of speech is a bad thing while they themselves are using it. Then they all go back home to circle jerk each other and smoke weed.

When you factor in the monitor, table big enough to hold the monitor and wide enough for a kb/mouse you're not really saving that much space when you could simply put a bigger tower under the table.
It's essentially a steam box without the controller but with higher specs.

I can see what happens in the pic. I wanted to know who is who and why they are there.

You can vesa mount it along with the CPU, cooler, motherboard, case, ect. to the back of a monitor. It doesn't even have to be big like pic related, there's a lot of 20-24" monitors than can easily accommodate the NUC. It's only about 9" x 6" x 1.5" which is way slimmer than the nuc in pic related.

Attached: heliumnuc-blog.jpg (1632x918, 221K)

don't know about that, youtube might have more info

dumbass

Attached: sc_b001ldko60-04keys.jpg (300x140, 10K)

>cringe inducing logo
no

What if I don't want to have a big fucking box under my table?

You can turn it off completely.

Attached: 1290479667535.jpg (243x349, 12K)

get a macmini

LOST

Attached: mac_mini_vs_hades_nuc.png (1625x1568, 915K)

>table big enough to hold the monitor
You also have to factor in a room large enough to hold the table, then a house large enough to hold the room, then a piece of land large enough to hold the house.

Go away mactard, go shill your fruity toddler toys aimed at literal brain dead idiots like pic related somewhere else.

kek

Attached: grimes.jpg (500x544, 112K)

So basically it's laptop with no keyboard and screen?

If you can't afford the space for a table, maybe you shouldn't be buying this shit

Attached: getaloadofthispoorfag.jpg (474x519, 27K)

No standard laptop has enough power delivery for over 100 watts sustained. The power brick on that thing can pump out 230 watts. The abundance of VRM and phases on the board make OC'ing possible as well.

Attached: 8574_22_intel-hades-canyon-nuc8i7hvk-review.jpg (620x414, 58K)

Also GOOD LUCK finding a laptop with dual m.2 slots that have hardware raid 0 and 1.

Ubee w/ryzen V1000
M350 case, picoPSU.

Attached: 1515708740710.png (1652x1200, 1.51M)

Is this pasta?

SFF is a meme anyway. You just end up putting the space elsewhere whenever you need storage. HUERR JUST MAKE A SERVER

Fuck off

>no onboard HBM
ooof

Attached: c14.jpg (488x305, 16K)

use AHCI m.2s without raid 0/1 then you faggot

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-02-12-07-44(1).jpg (720x869, 212K)

>HURRR JUST USE M.2 WHO NEEDS MORE THAN 1TB
>LONG TERN STORAGE WHO NEEDS THAT WHO NEEDS HDD HDDS ARENT EVEN REAL

Like I said, fuck off. SFF is for casuals and retards

I already have a small form high perf device (gpd win) but the concept is pretty nice. They would be perfect for an education/college environment, if they could drop the price and offer them in 100 unit bulk orders. With that processing power, they'd work well in a variety of computer labs, from web and graphic design, to drafting and CAD, to video editing and encoding. And the space savings would absolutely be valued in a classroom.

It's about time for PC components to shrink in size.

depends what you want to use it for. also you have to pay over 100 just for the ram since it doesn't come with any.

SSDs are getting cheaper by the minute and I doubt there won't be 2TB AHCI m.2s for ~$150. You have 2 m.2 slots anyway so you can get a 512GB m.2 for now and save up for a 1-2TB one later on when prices plummet further next year.

Also SSDs have come a long way since planar TLC nand. They have a very high data retention rate and the controllers make them outlive you. Far better than the random mechanical failure of a hard drive.

This, NVME SD express is next

Attached: bus-speed-img.jpg (970x873, 98K)

if you want a small pc for a linux server and something small just use this
pcpartpicker.com/list/TFLZjy
or this if you need beter cpu power
pcpartpicker.com/list/7Lg6P3

Both builds are shit and slower than the nuc, the fx-8350 literally has about the same multi-core of the 2200G so not sure why you even brought that up. 2200G only has 8 CUs that have to rely on slow as balls system RAM for vRAM. GT 710 is literally worse than intel hd graphics.

Are you fucking retarded or just trying to pretend you can into computers?

Attached: zachqwe1o4w01.jpg (645x773, 62K)

go for this one
amazon.com/INTEL-NUC-Kit-Component-BOXNUC6CAYH/dp/B01MSZTD8N/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1541176125&sr=1-7&keywords=NUC
It's not for gaming but it does work.

PC components shrink all the time, but all that means is the space given from the shrink means that there is more room to add stuff. Hence the reason we still have GPUs today that are just as big in die size and consume just as much power as GPUs 5 years ago. Only difference is today's GPUs are much more powerful because more transistors in a given space.
No company ever makes things smaller they just add more in the space we have

That's really really bad, can't even compete with a $50 AMD athlon laptop-grade processor. Just make your own athlon pc.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-02-12-36-30(1).jpg (613x403, 95K)

forgot: nuc has very similar performance to i7 7700 desktop cpu.

hades canyon nuc*
shit

Getting more CPU and GPU performance than the NUC, so why do you care?

low effort troll

Attached: 1538686613348.png (500x650, 195K)

No, you're not. The V1807B flagship has 11 CUs at 1.3 GHz that use DC DDR4 system RAM as vRAM giving it very poor performance comparable to a lowly 2200G APU. Also with the 45W TDP the CPU is going to be chocked back to 3.4 GHz under load even if thermals are good.

This is a rebranded slower 2200G APU at best. That 3.7 TFLOP model AMD touts likely won't touch the consumer market.

>the controllers make them outlive you.
The NAND might outlive you. The controller sure as hell won't.

The intel Hades Canyon NUC has GPU performance fairly close to the RX 480.
The AMD APU's have only a small fraction as much performance.

For its price, is there a decent build (gaymen focused) that is also real silent? I'm not concerned about the bulk, but it'd be nice to have as little noise as possible.

Actually just looked it up and 3.7 TFLOP V1000 APU measure comes from FP16 NOT FP32. Pretty misleading desu.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-02-13-00-15.png (1280x720, 255K)

fuck off faggit

For all you saying this thing is overpriced, go ahead and build a custom pc cheaper than pic related.

hard mode: must contain at least 16GB of RAM and no used parts allowed

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-02-13-11-04(1).jpg (720x902, 153K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/T3LZjy

Even got 6-core cpu and 8GB vRAM rx 580 GPU in there. Nuc is still better than most SFF PCs tho especially the mactard mini.

Attached: 1523293491756.png (554x400, 305K)

Yes, the most cost efficient thing to do is to wait 5 years and buy it used for 20% of the price you posted.

pcpartpicker.com/list/9CNM29
It's mini-ITX, has a significantly more powerful CPU and comes with storage(which isn't included in the NUC). I could've gone even smaller for the price with similar specs.

no :^)

Really really wish it would go on sale for blacked friday or cyber security money but it probably won't, will it?

Attached: 1532933576016.gif (400x400, 784K)

>h200
>literally like 20x the volume

Fuck off retard

This, you could duct tape a bunch of nucs in that case and make a server farm at that point.

Attached: 1539298648901.jpg (808x720, 156K)

>no rs-232 port

Dropped.

Why don't you just call it a controller VGA port like a normal you human being, you fucking nerd?

get a laptop with 1060 and a monitor.
you get ram, storage and monitor extra for the same price.

I'd like you to show me a laptop with 4c/8t cpu(or better), 1060 and 16GB of RAM for $1k

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAHRT8BK4264

i even upgraded for you.
6c/12t.
throttling is expected.

the man on the left can read the soiboy body language. I think he has experience in boxing or some kind and knew what the sooboi was going to do when the soiboi started arching back and raising his fist

>throttling is expected.
Which is the point of the nuc you retard. It DOESN'T throttle as hard as a laptop and you can even overclock if you can undervolt it due to the better cooling/power delivery.

youtube.com/watch?v=JM4P0GyTL1I

Attached: 1541113708035.jpg (640x845, 133K)

well the NUC is obviously smaller but doesn't come with RAM or storage - it's very expensive for just a chip and motherboard

newegg international service sucks dick

see

Are you talking about preventing the security vulnerability in hyperthreading? For those using this computer for their own personal purposes (i.e., not using it as a server), the actual risk of having something bad is neglible and there's nothing wrong with enabling hyperthreading.

That's why everyone recommends the NUC you mong.

pic related: hades nuc during gaymen, see frequencies

Attached: stresswitch.png (1920x1200, 321K)

Have you heard about javascript or web browsers in general?

dam

>2.2 Ghz
might as well get an old AMD laptop

Those are honestly good temps for a fucking OC on a nuc. Holy shit.

Attached: 1461027252607.jpg (572x303, 144K)

Your point being? What kind of information is going to leak out of my personal computer with that side channel attack? I'm not some e-commerce server that's constantly doing crypto. Leaking a few bytes of information from my computer's memory doesn't worry me at all. An attacker would have to nail me in the somewhat rare and brief instances when I'm accessing privileged information. Even then, it'll take a fair amount of time for enough information to leak before they can do anything. By then, I will have either re-keyed or discarded the keys.

I don't want to play your stupid games, kike