This is fucking incredible

I've heard raytracing used as a buzzword over the last few months, but this is the first time I've seen it. This is an absolutely amazing technology, and I'm curious how much further it could develop.

What are your thoughts, Jow Forums?

Attached: Glasses_800_edit.png (2048x1536, 2.9M)

Other urls found in this thread:

irtc.org/
jo.dreggn.org/path-tracing-in-production/2018/course-notes.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=Y5OQa1REc3g,
zenphoton.com/#AAQAAkACAAEgfwACAVIBPAFxAWr/AAABkACeAVMAtv8AAA==
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

RTX a shit

I remember seeing this pic years ago and thinking was indistinguishable from an actual photograph. now it looks like a slightly mediocre test blender scene. crazy how nature do dat

I feel the sane way. Why is that? It's like if you were watching the matrix when it came out and thinking it looked realistic compared to now

once you see better cgi you learn the subtler tells

Same for me, in this pic it's the
>perfect cylindrical symmetry of glass thickness and shape
>low-res bump map on jug
Basically throw a noise on the thickness and an upscaled bump map and you could still have me fooled.

You have seen ray tracing if you watched any 3d cartoon made in the last 30 years, it simply took days to render a single frame. The latest buzzword is real time ray tracing, and it only ray traces some parts of the scene.

reflections and shadows with a very low amount of passes and a denoise filter.

... dude that image is literally more than a fucking decade old.

>Posts something that looks 5/10 years old
>waow guis! look at my goytracing? Isn't it cool how light habbens? Literally no one did this ever before! Thanks nvidia!
Fuck off.

Too many "sharp lines" in the reflections. Also the shadows are off.

nothankyou

Attached: Titan Xp.jpg (6000x4000, 1.46M)

for me it's perfect reflections. in reality there is always something to break the perfection and total symmetry

everything looks like a fucking mirror and that looks like shit

Raytracing used to be popular but then it dropped off the radar for a long time and is now being talked about again. In the late 90s or so I fucked around with POV-Ray, and there used to be an international ray-tracing competition:
irtc.org/

jo.dreggn.org/path-tracing-in-production/2018/course-notes.pdf

New challenges are ligth transporten

Remember Walking with Dinosaurs? Shit looked real too.

>What are your thoughts, Jow Forums?
meh, I've seen nicer looking renderings
this

> What are your thoughts, Jow Forums?
I thought it's a meme, but seeing how it looks in youtube.com/watch?v=Y5OQa1REc3g, I'm not so sure now.

For anyone who likes the idea of raytracing:

zenphoton.com/#AAQAAkACAAEgfwACAVIBPAFxAWr/AAABkACeAVMAtv8AAA==

It's kind of weird in the sense that ray tracing has been accurate since ever. The earliest heavy use of it I know of is Titan AE in ~2000. All the CG is raytracing, and it's kind of awesome to realize the scenes with the ships fighting to find the real ship among countless refractions and reflections wasn't just CG dickery but strategically placed and shaped chunks of rendered ice.
But hardware support never. Nvidia's half assed attempt be damned, if they're going to do this go full in and make dedicated ray tracing cards. I'd sooner buy a card that can do high frame rate 720p full raytracing than the bullshit "look at muh reflections" that the RTX does.

The reflections on the wine glass look dumb, like just a group of 3 lens flares

Attached: jacques-defontaine-women-wip-07.jpg (1280x1112, 291K)