/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: electrophone.jpg (900x1362, 738K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VW33oH_EkW4
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-a30-and-schiit-magni-3-headphone-amps.4024/
zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/zmf-eikon
amazon.com/ammoon-Professional-Headphone-Monitoring-Appreciation/dp/B0785T1KTR/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's with the vandalism?

Verite (latest tuning) is enthralling:
This is the more colored headphone
W shaped response
It's a super TH-XX. A TH-XX that is super resolving
OMG, from a good chain, it tucks at the heartstrings. Resolves so much, super volume gradations - possibly the best I've ever heard.
Fast, but not mechanical and dry fast like Utopias.
The is the BEST Japanese headphone since the R10. Sony engineers behind the Z1R should commit seppuku immediately.
I was prepared to jump on the Aeolus. Had a little bit of an adjustment because of the "color", but this seduced me.
I'm buying one. Plan to keep four serious headphones: HD800 (resolution), Elex (transients), Verum (old school planar timbre), and this (Japanese).

Attached: _DSC1094.jpg (1500x1020, 187K)

sennheiser has nobass

Attached: 14.jpg (1024x1024, 100K)

Honestly, here in Canada, there is absolutely no reason to get either the HD600 or the HD650 when you can get both the DT 880 and the 770 for the price of one

>buying both the dt880 and dt770
fucking retard leafs

Let's try to have a nice productive thread.

Attached: headfones.jpg (1637x1229, 1.37M)

there's no reason to get either HD600 or HD650 in general

Am fine with my HD 650, as I have an amp. Granted, I am not a zoomer so I can appreciate headroom and dynamics, not just a loud as fuck 100 hz bass drop.

senncuck cope

we bullied you all yesterday and you still come back to post your crap, amazing.

Attached: 1505677369393.jpg (1600x900, 547K)

Imagine 100 years ago listening to this

youtube.com/watch?v=VW33oH_EkW4

With your brain new electrophone cans, while all the normies had to head to the local saloon to listen through the gramophone.

Nice collection. Which do you find to be the comfiest? I've not worn comfier ones than my old HD 598. I'd rather have those on than having nothing at all, even if no music was playing. They just feel so comfy, even if the audio wasn't that amazing.

this

Attached: IMG_20181102_160259.jpg (936x1248, 315K)

Typical 192 kbps soundcloud rap on Beats by dre response.

Typical sennshill response

wanna buy the STAX SR-L700
should i get the SRM-D50 with it or something else?
All the other STAX amps have a knob on the gain knob that moves the left and right channels from center, which seems really annoying given that it doesn't indicate on the knob where the center is, and i just KNOW ima fuck that shit up when im half asleep and trying to adjust gain.

Any headphones with superior build quality/durability? These come to mind but wondering what else is out there

Attached: 34543.jpg (3840x2160, 1.87M)

>soundcloud
>192 kbps
You wish it went that high.

Weird, I don't remember that at all.
Brand new HD6xx or HD660S is comfiest.

Attached: bgvp-dm6.jpg (1000x1000, 346K)

Is the ATH-SR9 worth it's price tag? I love my MSR7's but they're falling apart, is the SR9 a worthwhile upgrade?

I don't listen to rap chucklefuck

Is the DT 990 Pro something you really want a DAC/Amp with? Or is it an acceptable solution for a computer?

What are those???

It's not a headphone you want at all. It's unironically one of the worst headphones ever made given it's price.

How so? People here have told me they're great and the amazon reviews seem good.

srm-252 if you can find one for a good price used. the knobs on stax amps are friction fitted so you need two hands to adjust channel imba I think you are overthinking things

can't go wrong with autistic german quality

Attached: IMG_20181102_201209.jpg (2281x3525, 1.07M)

Just bought these AT&T JIVE earbuds and have good audio quality and stick in my ears well

Attached: IMAG0315.jpg (3264x1836, 1.21M)

So fucking V shaped it puts beats to shame

Here you can see it in-comparison to the most neutral headphone in that price range. See how high the red line is on the left and right side of the graph? That's an extreme V shaped frequency response which can be looked at as either "lots of bass and treble" or more correctly "no mids".
If there is something about the build or comfort or whatever that you like the DT880 600ohm is a good choice.
250ohm beyers should ideally be run from an amplifier that can do 25mw @ 250ohm
The fiio e10k is capable of this.

Attached: 990vshd600.png (1000x500, 68K)

I can get the Philips Fidelio X2HR for 190 Eurodollars, but I would have to buy them right now because it requires a coupon that expires today.

I can't make up my mind, because my original budget was 100-150, and I'm basically Scrooge McDuck and the idea of spending almost 200 bucks on headphones hurts my soul.

Aaaaah, why is buying headphones so complicated?

Attached: 1514644657707.png (620x930, 461K)

How come that Beyerdynamic is so based with their sound tuning?

Attached: Jawohl sehr gut.jpg (500x512, 41K)

Attached: IMG_20181019_215305.jpg (936x1029, 190K)

How about buying Takstar and saving some big bucks?

Attached: 9CF3894B-C73E-4B6A-A030-EA047D811C24.jpg (1280x720, 61K)

Open when?
Planar when?

They don't care about the autistic graph gargling crowd, since they know graph measurements aren't the full story and just make headphones for people who want to enjoy music instead of flat lines

But people prefer 990 over many other headphones including k712, hd650, he400
It's a fact

I think he's trolling

Beyer build quality is dogshit. Unless you like flaking faux leather.

Don't tempt me. Saving big bucks is my greatest weakness.

Attached: Uncle-Scrooge-Comics.jpg (630x420, 102K)

Old people benefit from increased treble because of hearing loss and often people with good hearing think the increased treble sounds like more detail. Even their otherwise usable headphones have fuck you ear rape treble.
Grado does this too.
I guess up until recently they figured it would only be old men buying their headphones to listen to mozart or whatever.

What's a good amp with 1/4in out?

magni 3

Some new info on the brainwavz upcoming planar headphone "alara", it will release in December and it seems to be the same as the yogada JPM-101 (the same OEM as the quad era-1)

why does everyone constantly hate on schitt then?

Liquid spark

garbage

What should buy instead? I always see schitt hate and that can't all be shitposting

Too shouty for anything but the LCD2C

Budget?

kys shill

Well that's why I'm asking what are some with good build quality?

o2, new topping dx3 is nice
there are many good products

I haven't had one that didn't start looking like shit within 2 years of frequent use. And I had a lot, and I didn't toss them around uncaringly. They are just that shit.

No more than 200

JDS charges 30 dollars for 1/4 inch. Anyone else do better?

I'm mainly listening to uplifting trance (that's highly melodic electronic music with a bass rhythm and an intermezzo heavily utilizing and entire orchestra of classical string instruments), so I need the full range of sound with the deepest, most well-defined bass possible and exceptional sound separation. Is there a better choice for this than the Hifiman 400i? I don't give a flying fuck about build quality, only sound quality. I can replace any part except the drivers.

Most AKG, Beyer, Sennheiser, AT are out.

I didn't know that about the knobs, thanks for that.
Does the srm-252's lower power output actually make a difference or is it just a meme?

>Does the srm-252's lower power output actually make a difference
not until you are bass boosting with EQ

redpill me on schitt

yeah its def the best at $99
what in the world are you even trying to say it's an amplifier not an equalizer

It's certainly not a bad choice. I have some with new zmf pads and a not shit cable.

They sound really good for the price.

Because their high end products are all exceptionally bad and previously one of their most popular products the modi 2 was also unacceptably bad. The magni 3 has always been good and we have proof of it.
The modi 3 was recently released and is now the best $99 dac with exceptional performance.
The only things that make sense are the modi 3 and magni 3 or a topping dx3 pro if you want bluetooth(once it comes out).
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-a30-and-schiit-magni-3-headphone-amps.4024/

Attached: schiitstacksack.png (769x49, 4K)

Topping makes DAC's that measure better for the same/better price.
Schiit makes alotta meme products that are objectively bad but people pay alotta money for them because placebo is strong especially in the audio community.

Massdrop O2

Why do we hate Beyerdynamic so much?

The Modi 3 is only decent if you plan on using it with SPDIF

What's that?
I can't hear you very well over the bass and the harsh treble.

magni 3 is total garbage, modi 3 is even worse lol

Fucking prove it

This is false you clearly didn't read the follow up. He made a mistake.
You're just being difficult for no reason. They're both currently the best option.
Modi 3 changed this.

The lack of source to any of that bulshit it showing.

it scored poorly on USB because of an issue with ASIO, it was later fixed, read the whole thread.

Measurements of the dt990 were posted. Old people hearing loss is common knowledge.
Feel free to find measurements of dt880, dt770, cop, t1, t90, t70, dt1990, dt1770. all shit

My bad anons.

Thanks. Beyers were a complete disappointment. The "bassier ones" sounded dark and muddy while not delivering enough sub-bass, but still managed to overwhelm the rest of the spectrum. Sennheisers had no bass whatsoever, AT dynamic range was total dogshit, and AKG had an annoying quality that is hard to put into words.

Those are pretty much 90% of my choices in yurop down the drain. :/

Does anybody know what these headphones are? Are they some boutique $2000 model?

bosshifi b8 or takstar pro 82 and why?

SHP9500 because open

If you weren't in yurop I could sell you mine actually. They're only a few weeks old.

The stock pads are shit so if you do buy, get some zmf lambskins, they're much more comfortable and the bass is better

You couldn't be closer to the truth. It is a ZMF.
Take your pick they're all bad.
zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/zmf-eikon
CAL! or takstar pro 82 as we have measurements for both of them. No measurements of bosshifi b8 so it's a gamble but they're cheap so if you want to try them out go for it just get them on amazon for easy return

Attached: zmf.png (1735x1199, 294K)

Thoughts on the AKG N90Q?

Monoprice liquid spark
Massdrop O2

Im actually using the SPH9500 and despise them because theyre open

cool thank you

It makes the highs sound harsh and compressed, it's literally unbearable with bright cans and just bad with neutral ones, you need a really dark headphone to hide this flaw in the magni 3

IF measurements are suspect for both of these headphones, they both have a pretty big 5K peak yet neither measurement shows it.

magni 3 is ruler flat like everything else

Seconding the Massdrop O2
I swapped mine out from a Magni 3 and it sounds so much clearer and it opened up the soundstage a lot more.

The issue is due to distortion not FR, highs don't sound accentuated they sound compressed and harsh

fucking retard

nice, you really showed me

Attached: Bornean-Orangutan-Eating.jpg (600x398, 107K)

opens the soundstage my ass

even based amir recommends magni 3

shut up

I can hear left and right channels more separately and clearly with the O2 than with the Magni 3
Not really sure why this upsets you so much.

because you're peddling audiophool bullshit. all solid state amplifiers sound the same

What do you guys can tell me about the UR40, i work at customer service for a taxi company in Mexico so comfort is more important than sound quality and i can find them for $20.
They will replace the shitty $2 in ear shits my job gave me.

amazon.com/ammoon-Professional-Headphone-Monitoring-Appreciation/dp/B0785T1KTR/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8
should I buy it? It looks suspicious

they're pretty good budget closed backs

yea but theyre being sold by "ammoon" Ive never heard of them before