Redpill me on /retrocomputing/

I really like the idea of exploring old software and computers like altair, commodore 64, macintosh plus, but I don't know anything about subject, I don't know where to start with it, what should I study to be able of interacting with ancient computers? Are there any resources can I get some info, advices and other stuff?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ytMgyrZm87A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>muh aesthetic

theres this channel on youtube called 'the 8-bit guy'. He's nice.

Did you know in Commodore BASIC you can use a period (.) instead of a zero for numeric assignments and it will execute faster?

>10 FOR I=. TO 20
vs
>10 FOR I=0 to 20

And all this time you were doing it the sucker way.

Thanks!

The computers you named have good manuals that document everything you'll want to do on them. Literally just RTFM.

Also check out Retro Man Cave and Modern Classics while you're at it. They generally don't break things.

if you're using a linux distro, FUSE is a good zx spectrum emulator, is libre. consult your package manager for more retro computer emulators.

retroarch has plenty of retro computing emulators as well, it's cross-platform. also, archive.org has lots and lots of dumps, programs, magazines, etc for retro computing.

The super old machines that run text based operating systems are a meme. They're pure shit and you won't enjoy using them. Look into old Unix workstations like Sun SPARC machines, SGI MIPS, HP PA-RISC, etc. Even the old NeXTSTEP workstations and old Apple m86k and PowerPC machines are great.

Attached: btkolgf.png (991x672, 206K)

>The super old machines that run text based operating systems are a meme. They're pure shit and you won't enjoy using them. Look into old Unix workstations like Sun SPARC machines, SGI MIPS, HP PA-RISC, etc. Even the old NeXTSTEP workstations and old Apple m86k and PowerPC machines are great.

Attached: 6968656.jpg (588x350, 31K)

Thanks I'll check it out
Huh, I didn't even know that, thanks

Don't listen to this guy. I've been exploring type-in BASIC games on VICE lately and had tons of doing it.

That's because you're subhuman. Subhumans have fun doing subfun things. If you're human, don't do what subhumans find fun.

I can dump more fedora reaction images if you want, I have plenty of them.

Here is a video to get you started
youtube.com/watch?v=ytMgyrZm87A

Attached: DrBjopBVsAEJzffq.jpg (720x571, 294K)

It’s kind of fun. You can really learn how computers work, and if you’re an oldfag it’s nostalgia.

>It’s kind of fun. You can really learn how computers work
Yeah, that's why I want to get started with it, also the aesthetics obviously

Attached: groove to the void.gif (250x188, 2.4M)

literal autist meme, there's no practical point in it whatsoever, it's only for fun.

Redpill? You don't need that shit. Stop wasting your time. Nobody will hire for you for those skills.

ligma balls lmao

The desktop minicomputer aesthetic from the 70s always impressed me most. Because they were the first "personal" computers and not many people could justify $50k or more to own one.

Attached: desktop_minicomputer_70s.jpg (1280x853, 154K)

I've made the observation that MacOS9 is the end stage for retro computing. That's as good as it gets in terms of technological advancement and yet still having the retro feel.

Hijacking this thread to do some nostalgia dumping

Attached: 3786795F-6A75-400F-B17E-2D9D40D47B66.jpg (1125x850, 960K)

i had the 128 instead of the 64. upgraded from a ti994a

it's an absolute waste of time and money