College Laptop

Hey guys, first time poster here. I just got my acceptance letter for college yesterday, so I’ve decided to finally go out a buy myself a nice, powerful laptop. I want to get something that can run games well, but is also able to handle all of my programming and school work. Any suggestions on what I should look into? I’m trying to stay under $1.5K. Thanks in advance.

Attached: 5D822638-B585-452D-B133-7A9A9EB97A52.jpg (425x258, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/Android-Notebook-WM8880-1-5GHz-Ethernet/dp/B00NA0KH6O/
amazon.com/dp/B078WRN1S8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WZl3Bb84QKR4C
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5HA5A72592&Tpk=9SIA5HA5A72592
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07661CYPD/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile
amazon.com/Dell-Laptop-Intel-Graphics-Memory/dp/B0764HW117/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541260939&sr=8-1&keywords=7577
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's a list of laptop recs on the install gentoo wiki. Stay in school user.

But 5 thinkpads and build your own supercomputer.

Strongly recommend the WM8880: amazon.ca/Android-Notebook-WM8880-1-5GHz-Ethernet/dp/B00NA0KH6O/

Attached: 51Zk6XBIThL.jpg (500x500, 56K)

Since you're programming, make sure it has the following:
>at least 1080p screen
>decent battery life
>GOOD KEYBOARD none of that small right shift key bullshit or whatever the fuck else kind of compromise

People on here are going to tell you to buy a Thinkpad... this is not a bad idea, but make sure it has a high res screen. Most of the x20 models recommended on here do not.

Thanks for the keyboard advice. I hadn’t even thought about that.

Seconded

Lg gram is solid for college since is easy to travel with. amazon.com/dp/B078WRN1S8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WZl3Bb84QKR4C

I would also consider a ryzen laptop for tasks you'll be doing on a laptop it can't be beat. Ryzen has Vega igpu so it can handle games like rocket leauges csgo and over watch pretty well.

Buy a thinkpad for $100, spend another $300 on upgrades to make it able to compete with any modern laptop
Then because of muh gaymes buy a $6 expresscard-to-PCIe adapter and a GPU of your choice using the rest of your frankly overkill budget. Congrats, now you can run whatever the fuck you want, for half the price of whatever you were planning on buying.

Huawei Matebook X Pro from the microsoft store with your student discount

tracer iii slim

MacBook Air

Don’t make the same mistake I did. Don’t get a gaming laptop. Any laptop beefy enough to game is too large and heavy to carry arround every day.

Except the Surface Book 2

Dell Inspiron 7000
>16Gb of ram
>500Gb SSD
>i7 8th gen
>$999

Thinkpad X220

>Spending $300 on a $100 thinkpad
What the fuck

just dont get microsoft computer. its the big shit

Get a Mac or the hoes won't talk to you.

I cringe when I see people in my CS classes with those razor-thin laptops with those omega-flat keyboards - they have to be terribly unsatisfying for coding.

But how can you upgrade the CPU ?

>this is what Jow Forums recommends

buy a macbook air

Not him, but why would I want to talk with retarded hoes?

Naw not true anymore these days. Right now I'm looking at either Aero 15X, MSI GS65, Razer Blade, or Dell XPS 15. Having a hard time to decide. Apparently the Aero 15x isn't good for Linux though because you can't switch secure boot off in the bios, which is retarded.

That user is an inceland those are only attracted to to retarded hoes.

Imagine paying mac prices for a U series CPU

Also incel*

If I were you I would spend $1000 on a desktop that you can game and program on comfortably and then buy some $500 chrome book or used business grade laptop that gets the job done but you wouldn’t be too mad if jamal stole while you were taking a piss at the library

You are making a mistake. Get yourself the lighest possible laptop or tablet. The surface series is fine if you want to blow that budget. But you will regret every single extra pound— every single extra gram that your nonsense gaming requirement will add.

Get a thin and light with thunderbolt 3 for college and buy an eGPU to game with in your room.

>Strongly recommend the WM8880: amazon.ca/Android-Notebook-WM8880-1-5GHz-Ethernet/dp/B00NA0KH6O/
Thirded

that's still a big footprint on a lecture hall table.
You want a small laptop with good battery life. Convertible with a pen is a plus for annotating pdfs

>college
>wants to run games on it
I kek'd.

That's what I was thinking actually. But i would like to have a GPU for password cracking at CTF events. I also need a decent amount of RAM and a CPU able to handle multiple VM's at the same time.

except it's worth it

You are so full of shit

Uhhh Ok

Buy 8 of these.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5HA5A72592&Tpk=9SIA5HA5A72592

This is the one I bought for the same purpose last year:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07661CYPD/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

Asus vivobook pro
8th gen i7 8550
Nvidia GTX 1050
16 GB ram
1 tb ssd

look into surface tablets. when you're forced to hand write notes, you're going to want to do that on onenote or whatever equivalent note taking program you prefer. trust me. you don't want dozens upon dozens of notebooks like me

Dell g5 or g7. Can get an i7 and 1060 graphics. I've had it and can run anything. Heavy as shit though

with the leftover money, build a PC. gaming on a laptop is pure cancer and build quality AND the warranty on basically every gaming brand is dogshit (you're going to need that warranty after the heat kills your non-removable battery). this is shit I went through and regret

So posting in this thread since relevant. I just got accepted to an internship today for back end web development. I need a good recc for a laptop I can bring to work since it is a start up and they dont have desktops. I already have a desktop I built for gaming so I am not interested in anything but light and comfortable to code on.

So far I see that good battery life, screen size and keyboard size are all important. Are thinkpads a good choice? I see the Lenovo V130 15" laptop for like $300 but is that too small?

Eh, idk. It feels like it's the beta product. No thunderbolt 3 and the power drain on the 15" can't be justified for such a high price tag.

Maybe the next one. But still you can't repair or upgrade it

>I want to get something that can run games well, but is also able to handle all of my programming and school work.

You mean you want something to do your school work and your programming assignments on, but also be able to play the games you like?

Not happening unless you go with a thick thinkpad, and those are not aesthetically pleasing to me but they do seem to have nicer keyboards. The newer thinkpads look pretty good IMO, but instead of this tactile keys you get with older thinkpad models, you'll get some other keys that are close to chiclet keys (still good though). Don't get a shit mac.

You're a big boy now, forget the games and work on studying, drinking, and getting laid.
Chinkpads are for poorfags.
Avoid micro$haft
Macs will make you a target for black people.

if typing feel is really important, then thinkpad. x20 series and older have the best keyboards although you might not like how old the specs are. W10 runs like absolute dogshit on a t420 but linux runs great. Is W10 important?

not really, as long as the price is good and the laptop is good for coding that is all that matters to me

do you need visual studio or windows specific programs? while wine can run most things, it's not optimal.

yeah VS is a must

then you're going to want a newer laptop to run W10. potentially a newer thinkpad like an x1 carbon or a dell laptop. thinkpads are extremely durable and have great warranty and dell has even better support and warranty.

MacBook Air.

Seriously, bitches love Macs and you want pussy.

Win7 runs VS fine. is full of shit.

w7 is extremely sluggish compared to w10. the optimizations are worth going to w10 despite the retarded design choices and quirks

Latitude 5590
Good CPU performance, official GNU/Linux support, great battery life (9 hours on windows, about 13 on GNU/Linux), clit mouse, nice keyboard, pretty lightweight, sturdy

W10 runs absolutely fine on a T420 if you put in an SSD.

How much portion of a 2018 in terms of price is due to seller cost?

>there are people that use the right shift key.
I only use left shift key.

in my experience, the performance is extremely lackluster with sluggish performance even on an ssd. this is even after removing all my startup programs and minimizing application footprint. it's just so much slower than any other system I'm used to using. after installing linux, everything just feels perfectly snappy even with several startup programs. hell, even programs like matlab through wine run faster on linux than they do on w10.

got a t440p with a bad screen for 150, got a 1080p one for 60, 16GB of ram for 80, i7 4700MQ for 75, and an SSD for 40. Come at me.

My nigga go on eBay buy yourself lenovo thinkpad T410 8gs of ram and 160 hard drive for $91. The only upgrade you need is an ssd for fast boot and start up times. Given though its not perfect you will be hauling around a five pound computer with a battery charger because the battery life is below decent but hey for $91 dollars i can live with that plus I'm strong.

Don't buy a gaming laptop for college. Get a laptop with a high res screen, good CPU and RAM, and a good keyboard. Gaming on laptops in college is for cheeto encrusted ham galaxy neckbeards with BO.

just use a backpack sissy

I did this, don't do it. I see dudes with gayming laptops all over campus and they just look like fucking losers.

Get a thinkpad, Install GNU/Linux and just get shit done.

Flat is fine. It's those shitty keyboaeds without a standard layout. Like smaller shift keys and F keys straight on top of numbers without any gaps.

I wish I would go to sleep and woke up back then when I was still an undergrad. Time fucken flies.

Attached: 1540391618907.jpg (470x626, 54K)

>But you will regret every single extra pound
giant fucking lie. Any laptop on the market rn is lightweight for any1 with even a modicum of lower-back/core strength

Inspiron isn’t a gaming laptop ya dingus

Attached: 3069F12A-6CA4-48C3-95DE-460CD96B7590.jpg (1440x1920, 158K)

You need a core i7 and a gtx1070 for your powerpoint presentations !

Attached: gaming laptop powerpoint.png (1920x1080, 870K)

I use both; it makes it easier to type capitals on the left side of the keyboard when touch typing. Before I learnt to touch type, I only used the left shift key.

this, but make sure you get the FHD mod if that is so imortant for you. You could also get a bitmap font that is very small so you can still get a good amount of code onto your screen. Pic related is Vim on my native x220

Attached: x220.png (1366x768, 74K)

it depends, if u want to embrace ur virginity buy a thinkpad, if u want to defeat it buy a mac

clevo

I touch type but only use the left shift key, it's no big deal really!

>college

Attached: 1537277285150.png (235x303, 12K)

fuck playing games on a laptop I'll sell you a x230 or t430 for 150 dollars.

Dell 7577
amazon.com/Dell-Laptop-Intel-Graphics-Memory/dp/B0764HW117/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541260939&sr=8-1&keywords=7577

I have newest DELL XPS 13 it is wicked cool :))

This. Shit makes me rage every time.

I just bought an x220 so I'll add my two cents on the keyboard. The travel is definitely much nicer than your normal laptop keyboard, but I've grown used to the more clicky feel of scissor switches, so it is taking some time to transition to the x220 keyboard.
Also, I'm a decently quick typer and right where I press the "B" key is where the trackpoint is, so that's another thing I have to get used to.
Despite that, I'm happy with the purchase. I just have to grow accustomed to it but otherwise it's an awesome laptop and I got it for a really good price as well.

get a desktop and a light notebook that's good enough for your school work. You don't want to be carrying around a heavy piece of shit gayming laptop or a chinkpad around campus

I’m not going to set up a desktop in my dorm. I don’t trust any of the favors tgat go there not to steal my shit.

here's the main problem with that mentality. that's exactly what I thought. Next year, you'll probably find great roommates that are 100% trustworthy (there's a very high chance your first roommates don't care about your shit at all. If they're not going to steal your laptop, they won't steal your desktop and they hope you won't do the same). By year 2 or 3, you'll have your desktop in your dorm/apartment and then have a useless gayman laptop that you never touch in favor of a cheap light one for work and a desktop for play. This is EXACTLY what happened to me and my other roommates.

one option you can go is a thinkpad with an external GPU. It won't be the greatest performance but it will work and the GPU dock is hardly 40 bucks. Use a cheapish GPU if you're so afraid of it being stolen. Far better than being afraid your expensive gayman laptop getting stolen while you sleep.

>wants to spend up to £1,500 on a laptop for "programming and school work"
No wonder you're so happy to go in to massive debt.

Programming can be done on anything with a screen and keyboard, as can "school work".

Buy a used desktop for pocket change, and put the rest towards paying off your loans. Also take notes by hand as its proven to aid in understanding and retention.

quit games and then buy a 13 inch macbook OP, maybe the new air

No, and I strongly dislike Apple computers.

fucking leftist

There is only one laptop worth your money and that's any laptop with a Ryzen APU.

Quadcore, dedicated GPU, ultra mobile. It's perfect for school work and development and should only set you back around $850

No, you can't AAA game on it. It's better this way, and you'll get better battery life than Intel's ultra mobiles since their GPU sucks so bad it kills your battery while giving you 20fps on youtube.

I got the HP x360 Envy with the 2700u, the drivers it comes with are all shit so I removed Windows 10 & HP bloatware and updated them myself and it's easily twice as responsive as my $1200 Intel ultramobile.

Attached: Ryzen APU.jpg (2060x1159, 174K)

So yeah you need to do the driver dance to get decent performance from it, and HP is shit but the hardware itself is solid. You can even get it without any Intel chips at all if that's your thing.

This will remove all the crap from Windows 10 easily

get-appxpackage -allusers | remove-appxpackage

yeah don't forget how literally everybody who sees you with it in public will laugh behind your back at you

Couldn’t care less.

This is what I do. You can't get a laptop that's great at gaming and great at being a laptop.

Grandpa detected.

But for real, get a cheap laptop, and if you find you have time for gaming then buy a desktop. Gayman laptops are not worth it.

> run games well
ryzen apu
> but is also able to handle all of my programming and school work
literally anything

p52.

>want to get something that can run games well
>just got accepted into college

Attached: u wut.jpg (612x612, 36K)

What is with these stupid posts?
>Got into college
>Not allowed to enjoy the hobby you’ve enjoyed for the last 16 years

>desire higher education and put in the money
>don't put in the time or effort to make it worth the cost

Attached: 1510365030274.jpg (541x720, 81K)

Considering I’m not a complete fucking idiot, I am more than able to pass classes while also enjoying a hobby.

Ideally you should have a companion device for note taking, i.e. Surface Go, and a desktop to do any heavy lifting.