Is compiling from source a meme cause I've been building GNU Octave for an hour now

Attached: Screenshot.png (821x540, 97K)

yes, use arch.

What's different about arc?

You dont compile from source

But none of the apps I use support arch

Download a faster CPU.

you should do firefox next
then the kernel
then qt

>tfw 1998
>compiling the kernel took 30mins on a pentium
>be current year+2
>compiling kernel on an i7 takes 4 hours

>don't understand makefile
>download source
>./configure ; make like a zombie
>wonder why it's slow

You know you can instruct make to start multiple processes, right? -j flag.

takes less than 5 minutes on a phenom ii x6 1100t
intel cpus sure are shitty

What's your distro? Don't you have a PPA or some shit?

specs?

You sure? You can probably find them in the AUR, and if not you can just compile them. Im pretty confident you will be able to easily install 90% of whatever programs you need.

I tried compiling wire and it didn't workk.
Fuck off with your virus shit. It's not in the readme.
Yeah but I'm feeling adventurous

did you use "make" or "make -j x"
cuz if you just used make.. rip everything

took me 20 hours to compile pypy for armhf

Did you use
make - j${nproc}

not adventurous enough to use multiple cores, though

Unless you're working on the software or you need a compile-time flag set that isn't set in your package manager's repositories' binary of it there's not really a point to it.

It's a fun experience, especially if you find some older, poorly documented software with older, deprecated dependencies.

U should use threads plus one imo

>GNU Octave
found your problem

>he didn't trigger a multiprocess build
lmaO

>he doesn't have threadripper to compile shit fast

>Is compiling from source a meme
it depends.
compiling from source is the most convenient way to include or exclude certain features with compiler flags. In particular excluding features is very useful.
It's worth for some types of software, like the kernel, but for others where you don't need to pick many customized modules it's not as effective, like a web browser or text editors.
Don't know if compiling gnu octave yourself has any advantages in particular.

nuh huh.

Attached: 1537915189468.gif (652x562, 626K)

fuck now I want to go back to gentoo. I know you're using pop OS OP but I just miss compiling programs

you just have to run it through a problem that checks to see if the compiler is in a loop. That will solve it.

Tried it in Gentoo, took Portage ~21 minutes to compile and install it (Pentium G4560, 2c/4t). That's including 10 dependencies I didn't have, but those only took about 3 minutes.

>t. things that never happened

took 24 hours to compile Gentoo on my old i7 950

Octave is in the office repo dumhadd

do you get electricity for free?

$0.08 per kw/h

I always heard compiling optimised for your hardware

usually that won't give you much of a performance boost, and certainly nothing significant.
most instructions in a program are adds and movs anyway. there are aren't too many opportunities where the compiler would emit a special instruction just for your hardware.

>Is compiling from source a meme
yes, it is, and you fell for it.

Why?

I'm not that user but I guess he's saying that because that's what the Gentoo wiki and many other docs recommend. From my experience you should just try different configs and see what ends up being faster for you. I had a CPU with 4c/4t where it was faster to only use -j2 .

Yeah, but this is black magic to me. By instinct it would be more reasonable to go for as many CPU available and not take more than you can chew.
On the other hand, with the +1 it would always has some task waiting to be done as soon as one cpu is done?
But I'm talking out of my ass. I have no idea what is really happening.

I think it's so that as a job is finishing another can be preparing, gentoo wiki can't be wrong

Honestly tho its probably compiling off of one core

IO downtime probably. If all the source files were in memory already it wouldn't be faster, but disk reads take time, during which the kernel will sideline the process.

Only if you compile it with ATLAS or something like that.

Octave and most FOSS numerical systems can benefit from compiling them with linear algebra libraries tune for your system, ATLAS is a that helps you with that, it will run on your system and determine the best flags to compile openblas or some other linear algebra libraries for your computer.

If you have an AMD based system the difference can be quite noticiable, if on intel just stick with the MKL.

Of course, if you didn't set any of that shit up, you will just get the standard binary.

Why?

>I know you're using pop OS OP
fucking yikes