What's the secret to being good at tech support?

What's the secret to being good at tech support?

Attached: telephone0.jpg (512x410, 37K)

Hide your accent

Attached: TechSupport.jpg (640x866, 64K)

not being a total sperg

Know how to interpret "retard novice language" into something you can work with.

>reddit
you're funny alright

Nice digits... but mine were superior.

t. Agent of Jow Forums

Read all the RFC pages

Patience

How to make someone trust you on the phone when you have no idea what you are talking about?

Vice versa as well. Communication skills are key. Sadly the best tech autists lack them.

Actually know what you're doing and communicate concisely.

For example if someone's computer is slow and freezes a lot instead of saying:
>"Yeah your thick client might have its security compromised with malicious software, we might need to defragment your hard drive, and check if there's any startup services we can disable to extend free RAM"

You can say:
>"Your computer might have a virus, we may need to optimize the storage, and check or other things that slow it down"

Basically tell them the problem in simple easy to understand terms but try not to make THEM feel dumb. Because you could have autistically said "Yeah I gotta take it off your hands for a while to perform some high tech stuff on it".

Attached: ______.jpg (1280x720, 85K)

Get back in the queue

Patience and inner peace.

I always try to bring up other subjects like sports, coffee, or food when a customer is getting angry.

Good hold music. Cisco's is the best.

avoid becoming smart and self-aware enough to where you become indignant at being treated like a farm animal by your company

actually caring about helping people?

Pretend that the customer is an Alien Ambassador and you represent the entire human race. If you upset them, or can't fix their problem, they might destroy the earth.

Three things:
Patience
Communication
Actually understanding what you're supporting, instead of blindly applying generic fixes

Learning to hear what the problem is while not actually listening to anything the customer has to say. Be able to recognize immediately those exceptionally rare occasions where the person on the other end is another version of you and cut the bullshit immediately.

Avoid actually listening at all costs; it will only hurt your brain.

Kill yourself to reincarnate as a Non-Pajeet

>What's the secret to being good at tech support?
being new and being willing to go above and beyond*

*fyi, they will fuck you and you will be fired or quit

empathy

i worked tech support for years and found that i never wanted to excel in it.

i've been in really nice call centers full of sort-of smart people and ive also been the singular it support tech for small companies.

tech support is a service industry job and you have to be a customer service-minded person to be good at it, or it will be an upsetting and unfulfilling experience.

if you have dreams of putting in time until you get promoted to escalations or sysadmin or platform engineer or whatever, it's not a very dignified route to get there.

decent IT managers know how to extract the most sophisticated support work from you without spending money on paid training or compensation raises on you. bad IT managers get the same effect if you just happen to care about improving the shithole they built at all. it's all the same in the end.

anyway i quit to work in software engineering and my life is like 600 times more chill than it was in tech support.

>AND I SWEAR I'M NEVER BUYING ANYTHING FROM THIS DAMN COMPANY AGAIN IF YOU DON'T---
>You ever have those curly fries from Arby's?
>UHHHhhhm well yes I have actually
>pretty tasty huh?
>t-they are...they're delicious actually. I haven't had those in forever.
>Why don't you treat yourself to some of those tonight sir?
>You know what, you're right. This diet my wife's had me on...I can't take it anymore. Hey thanks for the suggestion!
>My pleasure sir. Now what was the problem again? Let's start from the beginning

you parody, but I've done this.
>"now this is just retarded... why doesn't the progress bar update until 50%?"
>"i have a question for you."
>"ummm i might have an answer for you"
>"Where can I get the quintessential cup of coffee around here?"
>launches into 45 minute diatribe about the state of local coffee

Attached: pd,x400,macbook_air_13-bg,ffffff.jpg (341x329, 31K)

nice blog fellow reddit-er!

it's pronounced redditor. thanks.

Cringe

>What's the secret to being good at tech support
Since your kpi's are probably solely based on the number of calls you take per hour it doesn't actually matter what you say. Just get the customer off the line asap.

Tell them they've called the wrong department and you'll put them through to support. .....Promptly hang-up. (that's 1 quick call for u)
Say that your short staffed and they need to call back in x hours/days. Promptly hang-up. (that's 2 quick calls for you)
Keep complaining about the line and pretend their barely audible. They'll hang-up (that's 3 quick calls for you
Put on the worst Indian accent you can muster. When they request to speak to another agent, start yelling out to "Pradesh", to come take this call. They'll promptly hang-up
(that's 4 quick calls for you)