Not using Elementary OS

>not using Elementary OS
what's your excuse Jow Forums?

Attached: Screenshot_from_2018-11-03_01-31-58.png (1920x1080, 1.99M)

I tried to install pantheon on arch but it doesn't work. Anyone?

>arch
found your problem

> excuse
hetero male

last time i checked software doesn't have a sexuality

I guess It's too..
*puts on sunglasses*
elementary for me.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

But I do, user. I even have it on a ZFS root partition. It's pretty great. I love having programs with actual UX, especially a not-shit graphical mail client.

Attached: desktop.png (2560x1440, 2.02M)

>using the generic gtk plank theme

O NONONO

stallman would be disappointed

I have a real Mac

Actually, the only non-free software I'm running on this machine is a Windows VM. Everything else is GPL or GPL compatible, including the GPU and networking drivers. I would say he's only unhappy with the VM and the distribution's repositories offering nonfree software.

> 2018
> needing X11

> I hate apt

> Gala is fucking stupid and reminds me of GNOME

> All the shittyness of MacOS with none of the benefits of linux

> that dock is ugly

and op is that fucking Discord open? fuck outta here.

>3053MiB RAM used
>Firefox
>Discord
>Spotify
>VSCode
gtfo

wtf! vscode is fucking great!

maybe you'll learn to like it once you start working on big projects
in the meantime you can keep using vim to write your homework in python

fizzbuzz away noob!

> boot to live environment
> can't select wifi networks
> pantheon crashes
> gui updater crashes
> random glitches

I've tried on 3 devices, none have been a success. I really want Elementary to succeed. It's a beautiful DE, but it runs like shit.

>firefox
>spoitfy
>discord
lol

Just use gnome. Disable things you don't want and use arc menu and plank (the same dock elementary is using.

>Elementary OS
What does it have to offer over Windows 10?

I did years and years ago when it first kinda became a thing being talked about on Jow Forums and it was buggy as fuck and never went back.. I'm sure it's more stable now but I just associate elementary os with buggy

GNOME just werks... for the most part. no indicators is annoying and the extension to add them back doesn't work on wayland.

>root@juul
pls no, set up another user account user

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-03 07-17-53.png (2560x1440, 2.4M)

When was the last time you tried it? I've been on the newest release since it came out and haven't had a single crash on anything. I did have some unusual behavior with LibreOffice Writer (a class required a .docx, so I couldn't use LaTeX like I normally do), where the main screen was looping my last couple inputs until I moved the whole window. But that seems more to do with LO having really shitty rendering code than anything to do with Elementary, and I couldn't repro, so I just dismissed it as LO being LO.

It's pretty stable now, see above reply.

I like to think of Elementary as the better, faster, more stable GNOME3. I actually think Vala is cool, and the native programs shipped with Elementary are genuinely good. Their mail client is better than any proprietary one, and beats out Thunderbird by a wide mile.

Because it's great until you have to use something not built for use with elementary, at which point the experience falls apart.

They're trying to clone the Mac experience with free software, and they've come about as close to doing that as possible, but they suffer from 99% of Linux software being distro agnostic where macOS has a bunch of indie devs and small studios focused on making apps that are Mac apps first and foremost. They'll have to build a huge community of devs who'll do that for elementary if they expect to ever make it big.

>elementary os
>not about elementary school lolis

>They're trying to clone the Mac experience with free software, and they've come about as close to doing that as possible
True, as of now, they've cloned just about the most (good things) they can from the Mac experience.
>They'll have to build a huge community of devs who'll do that for elementary if they expect to ever make it big.
Also true. The real question is, how? They have excellent documentation AND a good language + API that builds fast, native programs in an easy environment. I still don't agree with all their choices, but they've got this nice, weird balance of suckless autism and Mac-tier UX retardation. What I mean by this is they've got Vala, which is a GC'd language, but transpiles to C and runs on the C runtime. Their DE is one of the slimmest and fastest out there (I can run it on an X201s, which can't run GNOME/KDE at > 30 FPS, without any framedrops). They have a pretty suckless-type philosophy applied to GUIs. There's very little cruft in their default applications, and the visual design is great. Honestly, it's my favorite Linux distro right now, I just wish there was more developer support.

They'll never do it, but they really need to switch (or at least support) a language that's more popular/trendy. Vala isn't gonna cut it. Given that current apple devs would probably make decent elementary devs, I think Swift is a natural choice, but Rust could work as well. Hell, even Crystal would have a better chance of going places than fucking Vala.

trips respected. also fuck vi and emacs. that shit is for nerds

the future is vscode and nonbuggy atom

you can participate in coolkids screenfetch desktop threads

See, Vala and Swift are pretty similar. A big difference I see Linux users having resistance on is that Swift has its own, rather large, runtime. I don't see Rust or Crystal working for the same reasons; Vala is the closest to C, the most native Linux language, you're going to get if you want quick development times, and GTK is the most native Linux GUI toolkit. I'd say they actually have the best options for Linux itself set up already.
Plus, if they want to lure Apple devs, Vala and Swift are pretty syntactically similar in some ways, and they share a lot of the safety features (ARC, for example). Swift has some cool features like optionals and if lets, but Vala is still a decent language. It's just not hyped. It's a lot like D, it's good but quiet.
I guess what I'm trying to say is there needs to be positive noise surrounding Vala, because it's a cool damn piece of tech, and I'd love to see more projects written in it.

Yet another obongo with yet another I can't believe it's gnot gnome

I want to use a version of software that isn't 4 years old

Doesn't matter how similar Vala is to Swift. It's almost entirely unfamiliar to those outside the Linux desktop sphere, which is an immediate turnoff for huge chunk of developers, and another huge chunk will flee as soon as they see that it has anything to do with C (even if you never actually see any of the C pieces).

It might be an alright language but elementary is doomed to irrelevance if they don't pick up an alternative with more momentum behind it.

But there is no reason to use.
You get the worst compatibility with free software (even fucking Emacs doesn't work).
Bugs.
Retarded devs who think that you "cheat" when you download their piece of Ubuntu showelware for free and who are using the term "brand" and how they don't want the community to "hurt" it. These clowns are even more pathetic than GNOME devs.
And also you get bugs.

Thanks for the nice icon theme, though.

>what's your excuse Jow Forums?
I'm not a poorfag incel.

If I wanted to use ubuntu I'd just use ubuntu.

>what's your excuse Jow Forums?

>claims to be MacOS inspired
>no global menu

well, that's a bummer

I'm a proud heterosexual

Does it have a global menu?

if Pantheon actually worked on Arch, it would be great

did you visit the web page? they don't have a download link, instead they have a purchase button.

I really like Fedora.

I really just want to use Pantheon on Debian. The only part of elementary that I like.

what, are you poor or something??

Right after Juno's release, I tried it on a T420. During live boot, selecting wifi would not work. I have 2 wifi cards on the device but neither allowed me to click the network and type the pass, had to use ethernet. After install, got a DE error within the first 2 hours.

Im willing to give it another try, but the T420 is the most Linux friendly device I own. If it fails on that, I'm sceptical that it'll work on any other device.

wew some fat human trash commie disapproves of me, what will I do.

>make a macOS clone of a DE
>bundle it with a distribution based on Ubuntu (really, it's just straight up Ubuntu)
>refuse to package it for other distributions
>guilt trip people into paying for it