AMD ZEN 2 IS COMING *SOON*

AMD is preparing to launch Zen2 based processors with code submits to the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) and the Linux kernel. I have read the znver2 patches and know their total plan to hurdle you into these new processors. The code is readily available at
gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2018-10/txtj6liftO1_w.txt

If you love Intel then you absolutely must resist the parallel prefetches, the speedy ADDSS/SD and SUBSS/SD instruction execution and other enhancements in the new znver2 technology.

Does this mean Zen2 will hit stores next week? No, nothing indicates it's about to launch tomorrow. AMD preparing GCC and the kernel that matters for znver2 simply means that launch isn't too far out either and that they are already testing and optimizing for fully working machines internally. They've already got the technology.

Attached: ayyymd-zen2-fs8.png (3784x3362, 2.88M)

Other urls found in this thread:

lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/966536/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>make commercial anime girls
>get support from loser virgin weebs
amd sure knows their target audience well, I'll give them that

The girls are back!

if anything that patch makes me wonder just how much of a difference there is between optimized code and what we get with windows and the gnu/linux distributions. everyone used to joke "gentoo is for ricers" due to all the complex cflags but looking at how AMD's apparently been measuring how fast certain things are done using various instructions before submitting this patch sure makes me wonder if there's something to running code optimized for the exact CPU you're using.

Amada may look retarded but at least she's kinda original.
those two sluts look like your generic FotM anime bitches.

AMD CPUs in particular get a distinct boost with -march=native.

problem is literally everything has to be compiled from source which takes forever, especially for bigger stuff.

>go to bing to look for amanda images
>type in "amanda amd"
>bing says "Results are included for amada and. Show just the results for Amada amd."
>results have one image of amanda and the rest is nsfw
>try doing an image search for "amanda amd" in searx instead
>zero results for amanda, all results are nsfw
eventually found pic related in google images but I'm not risking doing more searches like that

Attached: BoxHWv1IgAAvwhb.jpg (600x600, 52K)

As you undoubtedly know these Chinese cartoon characters are designed to on the Japanese market. That some basement dwelling weebs like them is neither the goal nor an important development.

Attached: 1497964562637.jpg (303x357, 91K)

I'm pretty sure her name is amada kokoro, not amanda amd.

>everything is compiled for intel, more at 11

This is less of a problem on Linux where GCC and LLVM don't actively fuck over non Intel chips like MSVC and ICC do, but it's still not optimal by default.

>amada
thanks, "amada kokoro" search-results were far less.. disturbing

that doesn't seem to be the case at all on the linux side of things, it's more a matter of not being optimized for any CPU in particular. This is kind of sad since later GCC versions support FMV (Function Multi-Versioning). This means you can have one binary that's bigger and optimized for general x86-64 and Intel and AMD all in one (instructions for the right CPU is picked at run-time).

Attached: amada-search-results-less-disturbing.jpg (2515x2036, 1.24M)

I hope you're not shitting on my nigga Black Dwarf, you bitch

Attached: 60609806_p0.jpg (912x699, 797K)

a problem for corelets

AMD submits GCC patches about 6 months before consumer release usually. It happens with everything they've made in recent history.
The investor presentation is on the 6th where they'll release some details on Zen2, focusing on the EPYC enterprise parts. Its expected that they'll speak on their 7nm GPU plans as well.

Its interesting, but still a bit of a cock tease since even in the enterprise segment only a select few preferred vendors will get stock initially.

Zen2 is 2019 user. I'll be upgrading from my 4770K to 3700X

>tfw no 3990WX gf

Attached: 1533674137645.jpg (566x800, 57K)

Dont say this, I'm bout to upgrade from my FX power hog this black friday...

Should I wait for zen2

I do video editing and programming. Is it worth waiting or will the new ones only be marginally better?

>Is it worth waiting or will the new ones only be marginally better?
No. Just buy now. There will always be some new CPU around the corner. If your current system is holding you back and you need something better then you should absolutely buy something new. The flip-side to this is "Zen2 is out, should I buy it" in which case the answer is No, if what you have is sufficient then there's no reason to upgrade just because.

I'm fairly sure both video editing and compiling will benefit from something newer than a FX.

Yeah I've got a laptop with a 4core i7 and it smokes my desktop when rendering video. Plus fx uses so much electricity. I'm looking forward to the upgrade for heat and electricity savings alone lol

Any official news as to how much of an improvement Zen2 will be? I haven't been keeping up on it too much.

There's none, there is just speculation. This is why I found the GCC patch of interest, we can now say for sure that ZNVER2 really will have a optimized REP instruction for medium sized memory blocks. It will have "higher IPC" for some instructions, some operations taking more than one clock cycle will apparently take fewer. It's kind of like how we can know VEGA20 will have dual hardware video decoding and encoding, AMD never said so but it's right there in the source-code. We can only make educated guesses of what it will be beyond that.

It's not unreasonable that it will likely be on 7nm given that Apple's already using 7nm chips and AMD uses TSMC..

13% IPC improvement from Zen+ to Zen2, but that is in addition to the 7nm benefits such as less power, and doesn't account for clock speeds and cores/cache increases, so we are possibly looking at 15-20% maybe. I don't know how to calculate it, but either way, Zen 2 is looking great and likely to beat the 9900K (if not 1080p then 1440p-4K where CPUs matter less.

If you're not in a rush then wait till early next year. But you can't really go wrong with a 2700/X anyway.

whats with amd and those random sluts, stick to only one designated waifu for fucks sake

Attached: 1481773873834.jpg (664x441, 81K)

>No. Just buy now
Hahaha nice try but I'm Just Waiting™ for new GPUs since the prices are still fucked I might get a 2nd gen ryzen/threadripper but will probably splurge on 3rd gen

>Just Waiting™ for new GPUs since the prices are still fucked
buy a used one, old mining GPUs are flooding the market which has also pushed price down on random people's GPUs. Look around locally and check if you can find one sold by some kid with rich parents who's buying a 2080 or something. It's not hard to find something like a 1070 at the price of a new 1050. Not an option if you absolutely want 2080ti levels of performance but if you just want something decent then there's good deals on used GPUs right now.

Su confirmed in summer call it's EPYC first, consumer later. April/May best bet.

while intel has neither performance nor waifus

i wounder how long would it take to compile linux on top of the line ryzen 2 cpu/

???

Attached: Untitled.png (1365x609, 1.17M)

AMD a best. A best!!
Intel a shit. A shit!!

I want these cuties figurines

Attached: 1541151864.jpg (850x478, 51K)

But are those nsfw images of her and why would that be a problem?

Sad

Attached: roflmao.gif (352x198, 2.87M)

2990WX does it it 30 seconds

does it in*

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2950X-2990WX-Performance-in-Compiling-Linux.png (1600x1061, 132K)

>Zen 2 is looking great and likely to beat the 9900K
Sounds great.

Attached: Akagami-no-Shirayuki-hime-OVA-Promotional-Video.jpg (600x338, 71K)

2990WX confirmed for /ourcpu/ installs Gentoo much better than the competition

if it took 30s to compile kernel i'd happily use gentoo for the performance boost.

I just hope that next year’s Threadrippers can hit >16c without having dies without direct DDR4 connections. Janky asymmetric topologies aren’t the end of the world, but 24c/48t on 2 dies would be nice.

>tfw bought a 2600 3 months ago for $150
i guess i can sell it for $75

Studying your image I suspect that the difference in results has to do with how I previously configured that search-engine for some reason.

Attached: different-settings.png (672x422, 109K)

nah results are the same even if i turn off safe search
btw it's amada not amanda
amada as in amd

Let's cross the fingers and hope 8c AMD can finally btfo 2c Coffee lake Pentium gold.
Also no Zen2 desktop until aug 2019 you shill

Will Zen2 fix Spectre?

>seething lake

Stay mad shill

Hush now Intcel, the grown ups are talking.

Ok let's just hope you have no stutter during your convo. People report with good cooling, 3200CL14 RAM and some luck it is very possible on Zen+

The kernel doesn't even take that long to compile. Like 10 minutes on a modern i7 with -j6.
What really sets you back are things like firefox or qemu. Those can take 40min+.

How much does ff weigh, isn't the repo like 40 gigs or something? Basing on what you just wrote, I feel like falling for the install gentoo meme (unless it really is 40 gigs). 40 mins is fucking nothing, I expected ff's compile time to be around 24 hours on modern hardware.

Do we have any chances of getting 8c16t APUs? God, that'd be sexy for an ultra portable gentoo cube.

Just wait for Zen3, you have enough perfs right now

>not just waiting forever
It's a shame some people will never know these joys

Attached: 414249431471.png (817x656, 127K)

God bless anime

Attached: 1534172577794.jpg (900x1200, 124K)

I could if my AM4 board will magically turn into AM5/6/7..

>Name them Rai and Zen.

Attached: f153782960.png (405x412, 287K)

Attached: shutup.gif (498x284, 1.69M)

not him and also not an expert but i think you first compile bunch of libraries (which are not as big) and then compile ff for example. i might be wrong though.

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING

Attached: 1506977173618.jpg (882x758, 324K)

>intelfags can't even delid anymore
Sad.

I thought it was coming out in March?

Attached: threadripper-chan.jpg (1280x720, 162K)

Not before Exmas

Some time after Exmas

April/May 2019 if user
is right and that makes sense to me. Ryzen was launched around April, Ryzen 2000 was launched around May. If AMD submits patches to GCC six months prior to a release then that timeline makes sense. Half a year before release makes sense from a GNU/LInux perspective too, that's enough time for changes to trickle down into the major distributions.

I used Gentoo for many years before I finally just switched. Ten minutes or twenty minutes to compile the kernel isn't really the biggest problem, nor is it an hour of compile-time for big packages like firefox or mesa. What becomes a problem is that if you haven't updated your system for say a month and you do emerge -upv world you'll see not one or to or five packages, there will be a really long list which probably include quite a few of those larger packages. You can start upgrading when you go to sleep and it'll still be compiling when you wake up in the morning. Then, when it's finally done days later, you find that you upgraded some library used by several packages and the ABI changed and now you have to run that revdep-rebuild tool, yes it's got a special tool just for this since it's so common, and now you have to wait half a day for more compiling while you essentially repair your system.

I guess the one "flip-side" that some could see as positive is that I used the same Gentoo installation something like 2003 to 2011, "re-installing" isn't a thing.

Similarly, I switched from Gentoo to Arch, after some 15 years of Gentoo.
I still keep the Gentoo root, which I still update/boot once in a while. Mounts are set up on both roots so that the other distro can be used by just chrooting, very conveniently.

Big girl

KEK of the day

for you

Will it also feature random lock ups, bsods, graphic glitches and a plethora of issues?

Of course it will user, of course it will.

Attached: 1424715856582.jpg (312x342, 32K)

>mousepad
>for keyboard

>Also no Zen2 desktop until aug 2019 you shill
You mean April, shill.

A custom-print 90cm X 40cm mousepad will set you back $20, slightly cheaper if you want a smaller one like 80cm x 30cm. I've had mine for years now. It really is quite comfy, it's quite nice to have most of the desk surface be a nice mousepad. Why anyone would put a brand name on theirs when you can submit any image is beyond me, though, I wouldn't want that unless it's free - in which case I'd be fine with a AMD or Intel or Nvidia or whatever branding on it.

>installing the sensor in the keyboard
>you can move the keyboard to move the mouse cursor AND type with both hands AT THE SAME TIME
You might be onto something.

>make it a split keyboard and have two cursors

>implying AMD would sit on finished products for 8 months
are you retarded?

Desk pads are fucking awesome.

Attached: OcUK-Mega-Mat-XXL-Elite-Tactical-Gaming-Surface-002_800x800.jpg (800x800, 25K)

ill give you 100

I actually agree with you.
The new girls are hot, but generic as fuck.

Amada better at least return to shill the new Athlons.

Largest thing I compiled was the complete set of core KDE packages, that took like four hours. Firefox took I think an hour, a stage one bootstrap (basically glibc and gcc) about 40 minutes, the kernel less than 10 minutes (maybe less than 5), I think the only other big thing was X but that can't have been much longer than an hour either.
Skylake i5 corelet.

With removable dress.

Attached: sakura mat.png (1920x800, 1.68M)

why on earth would you voluntarily do this to yourself

Nooooooo!

Attached: 9C9369B3-EED9-4411-90DB-0845F0BC24D4.jpg (690x388, 56K)

Don't be so sad, Intel added support for their MOVDIRI and MOVDIR64B instructions to the kernel git tree's cpufeatures.h yesterday,
lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/966536/
so Intel's situation isn't totally utterly hopeless even though they can't even manage to produce enough chips themselves and have to beg TSMC to do it for them. A curious detail on the two MOVDIR instructions is that Intel's been trying to get kernel support since July but didn't actually get it accepted until yesterday (commit 601a88077cf6e5c).

>MOVDIRI and MOVDIR64B
Those do not look very useful in generic codepaths.

Zen is a more advanced architecture and zen cores are significantly wider (more powerful) than the intel skylake cores currently in use.

zen and zen+ suffer from a weak front end that cant fully supply the wider back end of the design. Zen 2 is a big deal because they have redesigned the front end to IPC will see a major boost.

There are workloads where if the back end was fully saturated zen cores could theoretically pul 6 or even 8 uOPS per cycle where skylake can only do 4 and current zen can only do 4 due to front end throttling.

I'm a KDE man myself, it seems like they push updates several times a week. And 4 hours is a good while.
Well, maybe I'll try gentoo when zen2 is out. Is there any info about upcoming APUs?

you don't need to delid a Ryzen CPU.

>Is there any info about upcoming APUs?
There is driver-code for them already in ~agd5f/linux over at freedesktop's git but I would absolutely not bet on those being anywhere near acceptable in GNU/Linux. I have the 2400G APU and it has never, ever, worked as expected, didn't work with the kernel and MESA when I got it and it still doesn't work with the current kernel and MESA. Using a low-end graphics cards like the RX 560 is preferable since the Polaris-stuff is rock solid. I don't use the 2400G for graphics, it's just a four core eight thread CPU with a in practice unusable graphics chip on it.

I highly recommend you avoid the newer AMD APUs. The APU on the A8-7600 worked perfectly when I got it and it always did, still does. Their APUs have never been a problem until the VEGA APUs. I'll take any Intel iGPU or older AMD APU over those new VEGA based APUs.

The sad state of current VEGA APUs does not mean that it's absolute certain the newer ones will be a horrible experience but I expect they will given that the current ones aren't functioning properly. Perhaps the situation will be better on six months or a year, who knows. As of now... just avoid AMD APUs.

Attached: 2400g-buggy.jpg (2939x2119, 1.18M)

Could it be only a 2400g problem?
I heard the 2200g is better

BASED!

>that thermal jizz

I doubt you'll have to recompile literally everything, though. Those 4 hours included I think around 150 packages, plus a whole bunch of existing stuff was being rebuilt because I had just changed to the KDE profile so all the USE flags were different.

Anyway, you can also launch the upgrade overnight, and then 4 hours is no worse than 1 hour and no better than 8 hours cause you'll be sleeping anyway.

I'm kinda torn on when I should upgrade for the purposes of having a totally future-proof machine. I didn't get Zen+ because Zen 2 was just around the corner and moving to a smaller node. But I hear that after Ryzen 3 they are going to change the motherboard socket, so I would be stuck without an easy upgrade path if I buy this gen. Should Zen 2+ be my goal then, to get optimised 7nm with a long-term mobo? Or should I wait for Zen 3 for the next node shrink - would that even be that significant since we're getting so close to the theoretical limits of current lithography?

Currently I have a Skylake i5 (don't judge pls), so technically there isn't anything where I'm really lacking in performance, but on the other hand it feels bad being a corelet on those occasions where it does matter plus I want to get the fuck away from intlel with its new weekly hardware vulnerability schedule.

AMD aren't jews and have pledged socket support until 2020. You can upgrade now, and if Zen2 is a massive improvement, just swap the CPU.