Haiku OS

Does it have a promising future?

Attached: icons.png (1152x720, 114K)

no.

No, it's literary based on a commercial failure from two decades ago.

It's probably going to hang around for a good while as a hobby project, but it's hard to imagine any significant number of people using it seriously.

Which one has more opportunity to make it? HaikuOS or ReactOS.

make it where? super-niche hipster os?

ReactOS. It at least has something at least vaguely resembling a use-case.

Proton on ReactOS fucking when???!!!!!

Yeah, but only if the devs realize that two paint programs and a video player aren't worth keeping legacy support for, at least not on the 64-bit version. It has multiuser support and other modern features that are disabled by default and not available through the desktop GUI. That's what's holding it back.

Shut up, /v/toddler. Fuck off to your containment board.

>single user
I think not

Attached: 1539791563878.jpg (1241x1009, 236K)

No.

This, hands down.

It's a Kernel written in C++, so it sucks from the start.
I like the window manager though.
They should have just made a linux distro out of it, replacing sysD, pulse-audio and all of that other shit with their userland stuff.

lol the moment it becomes something, ms will keep them busy in court.

They've already solved that problem - by never becoming something.

BeOS was a failure, the moment Apple picked NeXT over Be as the company to buy out to get tech for their new operating system they were doomed. At that point, they didn't have a good reason to exist, they got no support, and they withered away. Haiku keeps the dream going, but that's just something to jerk off for Be fanboys.
ReactOS, on the other hand has a geniuine use case (replacing legacy windows (considering the direction m$ is heading, along with how good wine became over the years it is already legacy) with a modern reimplementation), just like FreeDOS has.

If they make proper android emulator and something like wine - sure.
But they are doing some inane shit nobody cares about.

i remember you guys talking about this like 10 years ago using this exact screen shot.
has anything changed?

>10 years ago
that's really sad.

What window manager? The GUI is deeply integrated in the OS.

And the window decorations, being a part of the window manager, are a part of that deeply integrated GUI

don't forget you're here forever

As much as I like Haiku, probably not. It's probably never going to support the enterprisey features that lead to widespread commercial deployment, like Windows, Linux, and various unices do. It's targeted specifically at home personal computing, a niche which reached its peak as a fraction of the population years ago and is bleeding marketshare to mobileshit and the web.

App-side, Everything can be ported. I don't think software is a problem. They just need some initial adoption and the devs of apps will consider porting their software.

The real problem, in my understanding, is the lack of a direction and the lack of developers. They just can't hire someone to pay attention to user requests. And the current developers are happy doing what they want in the OS.

I think they need to start to pay attention to UX, to the users, and rethink the direction of the project and implement some kind of quality assurance. But for that they need more than hobbyist developers.

App side most meaningful desktop software requires GPU accel which Haiku still lacks. Fixing that and IPv6+VPN support is necessary.

Once they drop BeOS compatibility it might have a chance.
Haiku would be better off maintaining the spirit of BeOS and creating a BeOS compatibility layer like how FreeBSD has a Linux compatibility layer.