/spg/ - Smartphone General

Lenovo Z5 Pro Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Lenovo-Z5-Pro-1024.jpg (1024x768, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/comments/9t4eb8
willmyphonework.net
chinahandys.net/en/cubot-power-review/
youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0
forums.oneplus.com/threads/closed-widevine-drm-on-op6.815683/page-2#post-18476836
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Could it be the slow touch latency issue that contributes to this result?

reddit.com/comments/9t4eb8

whats the best option between one plus 5t 6 and 6t

None of them.

Any suggestions? I have around $500 on Amazon (us) that I'd like to buy a new phone with, the only requirement I have is that it's unlocked internationally.

Does anyone here have the Cubot Power and is it any good?

I'm not sure if you'll fins someone who has owned that phone here but why that phone in particular?

Why? Not that guy but I was considering the 6T (that or P20 pro)

I suggest not depositing your credits with the logistics jew.

>willmyphonework.net
op6

Pricetag, battery and storage combo is pretty good. I tend to be on my phone a lot, so a big battery is a must.

Since the S9 is heavily discounted these days, 6T is no longer the value proposition.

Asus ZenFone 5Z, Sony XZ2 Compact, Mi Mix 2S

>S9

If it had a comparable battery and wasn't 1440p I would consider it

Personally I'd say OP6 is better than s9.

>If it had a comparable battery
OnePlus devices don't have larger than average battery capacities either and it doesn't have to be 1440p. There's an option for "lowering" the resolution.

S9 is 3000mah, OP6 is 3300mah and OP6T is 3700mah. A 1440p display will still consume more battery than a 1080p one even when set to a lower resolution because the amount of pixels being lit up doesn't change.

The S9+ exists as well.

Big battery is good but it doesn't always translate to more screen time because some phones are more efficient than others.

It's also even more expensive than the regular S9

I know but I heard it has a pretty good battery life. It would be hard to make a 6000mah battery not last.

Older Mediatek SoCs like the P23 in the Cubot simply aren't as power efficient as equivalent Snapdragon SoCs, so the battery life you end up getting isn't as good as you'd expect looking just at the capacity. A good example here, in a battery test between the Redmi Note 5 and the Cubot Power, the Redmi ends up winning even with 2000mah less capacity:
chinahandys.net/en/cubot-power-review/

If you want a phone with good battery capacity I'd consider something like the Redmi Note 5, Mi A2 Lite or Pocophone F1 which are all 4000mah, or Mi Max 3 which has a 5500mah battery.

>be thinkgen of getting pocomeme f1
>watch and read dozens of reviews
>seems good, order it
>immediately after find out about issues like screen bleed and touchscreen delay
oh dog no. Most newer shipments apparently have no bleed but it seems the slow touchscreen is inherent. I wonder how bad it is, even little things like that trigger my autism.

should have got a Mi Mix 2S

Z5 Pro international when

Attached: jpboqke25zv11.jpg (1439x1521, 634K)

I was looking at it just right now, it's 70 euro more expensive here, not worth it.

>not having touch latency issues
>not having shitty screen bleed
>not worth 70 extra
holy shit you're an idiot

You know, it's not impressive to get rid of the chin, if you give it the world's biggest forehead.

Bleed is a gamble, some don't have it and touch latency might be exaggerated, how the hell no reviewers mention it. If 2s had an oled I'd get it. Mi 8 seems ideal but it's even more expensive.

OLED is overhyped and even worse than LCD for planned obsolescence
>muh true blacks
not worth it when you get screen burn in, also OLED use more power

So Jow Forumsuys I've narrowed my choice down to the op5t, poco f1, and the mi mix3. Which one do I pull the trigger on since I can't decide? Previous phone was a OP X (I know).

Mi Mix 2S

After 3 years my Moto X Play still does everything I want it to and presents no problems whatsoever. And battery life has gone down from fantastic to merely great.

At this point in my previous phone's life (Galaxy S2) is was coughing and wheezing and spazzing out regularly. Eventually died at 3 years 3 months.

BASED MOTOROLA. BASED LENOVO. I don't know why everyone shits on 'Lenovorola' so much, this phone has been great. They even updated it to 7.1.1 recently, which is way more than I expected for a 3+ year old midranger that came with 5.something.

Attached: 4722bad872bde13ba964ccf6201ed0f2c93d1fa5[1].jpg (940x540, 47K)

b-but muh contrast. The colors really look better, not just blacks.

How the fuck do you come to that conclusion

I am looking for phones under RM400 that a busy person would use. Any carrier would do. I couldn't stretch my budget higher, thanks to my dad.

Are they basically the same?

>no headphone jack
>no expandable storage
>smaller battery
Yeah, not worth it

Attached: 46a.png (645x729, 97K)

Redmi 5A or 6A then

nah, you can barely point out the difference between a good LCD panel and an OLED panel
bigger battery and no slider compared to the Mix 3, no notch compared to OP6T, no shitty touch latency or screen bleed but no headphone jack or mSD support compared to Pocojeet
>having screen bleed and having shit touch responsiveness is a-ok!
>pay 70euros extra for a superior product? why should I pay 80 more euros? you're not getting 90 more euros out of me!
retard

Screen bleed happens only in a minority of Pocophones, touch latency happens only at the edges of the display and is pretty much a non-issue outside rhythm games and such.

except when trying to fix spelling errors, move apps to a different home screen, clicking links near the edge, etc
its a bigger issue than you're trying not to make it, also it was not a minority when the screen bleed issue not only affects Indian models, but units sold in Europe as well

>OLED use more power
What are you stuck in 2k10?

>tfw battery is still not even near EOL after 2+ years
Wtf I was trying to justify buying a new phone but it seems like it just won't die.

Have you guys ever checked the capacity of your battery?

Attached: Screenshot_20181103-135758.png (1080x1920, 169K)

then why do people still recommend using dark mode with OLED statingnit reduces power draw? prove it doesn't

also, let's not forget that if you break an OLED screen, it costs at least 2-3x the amount to fix an LCD screen

>touch latency happens only at the edges of the display
That's a thing but I'm worried about overall touchscreen speed, some say it's also slower than most phones'.

Because it does reduce power draw, because black pixels on OLED don't consume power. Which makes me wonder why modern android is so fucking bright, seems pretty retarded. I'm not sure what technology is better for average unoptimized use desu. It's probably pretty similar, but I'm pretty sure OLED is pretty amazing if you use black themes everywhere you can. Maybe someone can post a screenshot of power draw in clover with white vs black backgrounds to compare the savings.

1. Black draws less power than white (with any type of display)
2. This is even more true with OLED since black pixels won't even light up.

good compact phones?
no iphone se/xperia compacts

Those are your only choices.

>then why do people recommend choosing a color theme that can be displayed with a lower number of LEDs turned on or LEDs turned on to a lesser degree
Are you retarded? Also by your logic literally everything that doesn't have individual LEDs is more power efficient than OLED, as you could make the same argument with anything.

>If OLED is more efficient than 12 300watt light bulbs as a backlight, then why do people still recommend using dark mode with OLED statingnit reduces power draw? Checkmate atheists!

> I'm not sure what technology is better for average unoptimized use desu. It's probably pretty similar,
LCD is by far, the power draw is lower, but ultimately the LEDs and how efficient they are determine battery impact
>but I'm pretty sure OLED is pretty amazing if you use black themes everywhere you can.
shame webpages won't do darkmode, at least most apps are catching on
that's not the point, the point he was originally making was OLED doesn't draw more power than LCD which is false

>Are you retarded? Also by your logic literally everything that doesn't have individual LEDs is more power efficient than OLED, as you could make the same argument with anything.
and how is that wrong? I'm not seeing you prove any point other than mocking what I said

IPS glow is the WORST

Attached: 1541129238519.jpg (345x428, 102K)

This send like the logical place to seek this wisdom; is there an app for Android (or chrome OS) that you could use the device that is installed on to scan a Windows computer for viruses? Incidentally, googling got an answer only leads me to anti-virus for a phone which... Isn't at all what I'm interested in.

>Black draws less power than white (with any type of display)
Wrong. Why would it? A backlight is always on, no matter what, it only gets blocked or not blocked by crystals in an LCD for example, so you not seeing the light doesn't mean it's not produces. Of course you can have content adaptive brightness control, but that also reduces the brightness of non-black pixels.

I proved you wrong by demonstrating that your argument could justify anything, thus it can't be an argument supporting your claim.

How do you not see that "but dark mode saves power on OLED" is not an argument that proves it draws more power than other display solutions?

Would you agree that OLED consumes less than a CRT monitor?

If yes, then by your logic I could now convince you otherwise, because "dark mode saves power on OLED".

>with any type of display
nuh uh, I think that depends on whether it costs power for an LCD pixel to be turned "black" or for it to be turned transparent. Unless your display has some retarded dynamic contrast settings that lower the brightness on mostly black images, but I don't think phones do that.

None

Fuck Verizon.

except the thing is not everything (i.e. webpages, apps, games, etc) use darkmode, therefore OLED is still inferior to LCD when it comes to overall battery draw

What's the best front facing speaker phone? Media consumption is a focus

>Canada
>600 budget
>Willing to buy pre-owned

Attached: 1522065095762.jpg (227x371, 11K)

>using someone else's sloppy seconds
yikes

how does that happen that android phones get slower after 3 years?
is there any workaround? i don't really want an apple

S9 by default runs at 1080p though.

Just tested on an IPS display out of curiosity, really just inconclusive, which makes sense because of course backlight is always going to be the main power draw. Also other factors are going to influence the power draw and the measurement is probably not even precise. So yeah just use whatever theme you like if you don't have an OLED panel.

Attached: blackpowervwhitepower.png (2160x1920, 77K)

Because he's biased against samsung like half the enthusiast android community due to several factors, mainly their mainstream popularity and success, as well as their shitty software back in the S1-S5 days. No matter how improved current samsung is, they'll always go back to when they were shit, and how they're actually still exactly the same.

To be fair, you're still lighting up the pixels which takes power. Even if you're rendering at 1080p.

did u try factory reset

>poorer display
>poorer camera
>poorer haptic engine
>101ms touch latency vs 51ms in the S9
>mono speakers vs stereo in the S9
>no IP68 water resistance
>no headphone jack
>no microSD slot
>no wireless charging
>no heart rate monitor
>no HD streaming on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon

How.

>implying that doesn't happen to apple
Also: Don't update android, new bloating "functionality" will simply have tons of overhead.

>HD streaming on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon
>he pays for his movies
oh wow..........wow

>slider smartphone
>And it slides for a good reason
Hell fuckin yes, this is so cool.

My ISP includes an amazon prime subscription for a year, and if you order from amazon often enough, you're gonna have amazon prime anyway. Might as well watch the movies you're paying for.

The backlight on an LCD is always on, it doesn't care about content other than with CABC, which reduces contrast and brightness (and sometimes a little bit of area-specific dimming, but that only does so much and is not standard for smartphones).

>no HD streaming
Wrong, OP6 is Widevine L1

The issue is that Samsung is android's Apple when it comes to how unnecessarily difficult they make repair and costumization. Nothing to do with "how bad they were back then", they actually were really good.

>Wrong, OP6 is Widevine L1
sorta

>I found out now that unlocking the bootloader turns Widevine from L1 to L3. Relocking the bootloader doesn't bring back L1.
B

I would be all over the S9 if it doesn't choke you with TouchJizz and Bixby.

Attached: IMG_2330.jpg (800x800, 320K)

Yeah I know, but some people still think there is a difference because of the power used for controlling the lcd pixels, which there probably is, but it's insignificant.

>they actually were really good.
Then you're mis-remembering, they were fucking garbage.

I returned my OG Galaxy Note for an iPhone 4s.

Finally moved back to samsung with the S6 and been with them since, but before the S6 they really weren't doing anything great, maybe you could argue the S5 was a step in the right direction, but it wasn't yet great.

Also, they make customization STUPIDLY simple, they have themes, you can set custom lock screens and shit with Good Lock, etc.

Also, repair for samsung isn't apple levels of difficulty, about the only dick move they do is glue the battery into place making it a real pain in the ass if you don't have a heat gun to loosen it up.

There are modded Netflix apks with HD enabled. Obligatory:
youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0

>glass back
>curved edge screen
eww fuck now, Samsung design is utter shit even if they didn't shove ShitExperience down your throat

Ok so suggest something new

Relocking brings it back to L1:
forums.oneplus.com/threads/closed-widevine-drm-on-op6.815683/page-2#post-18476836

Bixby can be disabled pretty much entierly, you can remap the button to do other tasks fairly easily, and you can use another launcher besides samsungs if you hate theirs.

Touchwiz doesn't even exist anymore, which just goes to show how old your "criticisms" are. They haven't been using the touchwiz name since what the S7?

Battery life of the Sony Xperia xz3 is absolute shit. Just leaving this warning in case anyone was thinking of buying it.

shit experience is just touchjizz rebranded because it got such a bad rep they needed to change the name
doesn't change the fact it's still the worst Android skin on the market, it makes LG's Optimus UX look like Android One

>still the worst Android skin on the market
Confirmed for never having used it, or if you did you used it specifically to find reasons to hate it.

Again, you can be biased all you want. I already said that was the case in my first post. You're obviously just anti-samsung. That's fine, but your excuses are just that, if you actually used the device long term, you'd realize you were full of shit for about 90% of what you're claiming is "fact".

>front facing speaker
Sony XZ1/2, XZ1/2 Compact, XZ Premium
Pixel 2 / 2 XL
Razer Phone

samsung experience is actually good though
all the features work and they don't make the phone laggy at all
aesthetic wise who gives a shit because you're going to put nova launcher and klwp on it if you're lurking Jow Forums

i've had my s9 for months and it's smooth as silk in every regard, even has better gestures than all the other phones that have implemented them thus far when you download the good lock stuff

>remove $0.04 notification light from smartphone because "our studies shown people don't need it"
It's getting harder day by day to find decent smartphone, stuck on 2014 model because everyone out there started cutting essential features

Attached: 1386255201671.jpg (929x960, 121K)

try to find a New Other (Open Box) condition Axon 7, everything newer with front facing speakers are complete shit
I'm anti-Samsung because of their bullshit spin on Android, I used to think it was decent until I actually purchased other phones and realized how bad it was, even when I've had hands on experience with friends and relative's newer "Samsung Experience" devices it's still utter garbage compared to other interfaces that are in the market, and SE and Touchjizz are/were the reason why the phones slowed down and became complete shit, the code is complete garbage and is more than likely written the way it is because Samsung sells phones due to their planned obsolescence
it's to be expected that a Samsung will go to shit after a year of ownership because of the UI

>ok so I don't own the phone you use every day and that you enjoy and have no problems with but here's why you don't like it even though you just said you do
good post
I hate my s9 now

Thx I was slightly interested in it, but yeah I was already worried about battery life on all recent sony phones. Also I don't like the shiny slippery fragile designs at all. I always wonder what they are smoking at Sony HQ, they seem to love fucking shit up.

>Note
How about things like the s4 active?

>Also, they make customization STUPIDLY simple, they have themes
They try everything in their power to stop you from rooting with all sorts of "security" aka. anti-costumization bullshit. Also
>customization
>they have themes
>themes
Yea, well, that's not at all what I mean by customization. I don't mean changing the flashy colors or your background image.

>repair for samsung isn't apple levels of difficulty
Yeah, that's true. But it doesn't change the fact that they're making a conscious effort to make it unnecessarily hard.

lmao, what a fucking retard. Ain't even gonna grace this post with a serious reply since you obviously aren't taking this conversation seriously.

Enjoy whatever "superior" device you've ended up with, i'm sure i'll come to regret my samsung purchases someday :^)

Attached: 1483576859013.gif (400x399, 193K)

The Mate 20 Lite looks great, shame about the blocked bootloader.