What's all this paranoia about privacy?

Google offers a bunch of great aplications to use on the daily for "free" in exchange to show some ads in the meantime which you can block with chad uBlock Origin.

I tried to follow those anti-google ways to use the internet and they're cluncky and worse than Google's so, I am missing something? I'm clearly not an expert in this kind of stuff, I would like to use Linux if it was useful for me but I don't see the point, can't game on it, can't use Adobe's products, what is linux for besides being a wannabe Mr. Robot hackerman?

Attached: evolving_google_identity_share.jpg (2480x1240, 176K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/google.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Google offers a bunch of great aplications
>what is linux for
Can you decide what you want to talk about first, then we can talk about it.

I did, I'm using Windows and Google's products, i'm trying to understand why I shouldn't if there's a solid reason.

Those aren't exclusive, you can use Chrome logged in with Google, Skype, Spotify and WhatsApp on Linux and it would be just as terrible for your privacy as the same thing on Windows. And you could be using none of those and block Windows from phoning home. They are two separate subjects, and not even that much connected unless you want to talk about Chromebook/ChromeOS

What about the Linux, Firefox and complements?
It's like downloading Lineage and using Play Store, if i'm talking about Linux i'm talking about not using any Microsoft and Google's stuff trying to be as private as possible, but I'm trying to understand what's the point of using worse services just to be more private.

If you want to use for example Google Keep, you use Google Keep, I don't, I don't have a need for it, does that mean that I'm using somehow "worse service"? If you are using Facebook, sure, everything else facebooks worse than facebook, but does that mean that people who don't facebook are using worse version of facebook, no they aren't using facebook, period.

If you are using Linux or Windows, or macOS, you can choose to use services that respect your privacy and have a choice to use one that suits your needs, if you want to compare something like gitting your notes or using OneNote, you are really doing yourself a disservice and being dishonest to boot.

Oh no no no no no

Attached: 1540505478548.png (625x626, 111K)

Great, you get to be raped by not one, but two botnets at the same time.

wouldn't it be, oh
no no no nooooo

Ive worked hsrd the past few months to switch to opensource and privacy respecting services.
Im wondering now if its even worth it noe cause it has the following side effects:

>no good emails
>syncing services can be a bitch
>lose a lot of convenience
>look autistic and sound autistic
>spend more money in the process
>miss out on new software fads normies use
>makes you a bigger target in the long run

>no good emails
Mostly true. I still use gmail since it's been in use for 10+ years, but I also now use Yandex with my custom domain name which works decently
>syncing services can be a bitch
Those are inherently botnet driven. host a server at home and use rsync or unison to sync shit. if you're worried about phone contacts, back them up to SIM card and another machine manually.
>lose a lot of convenience
Like what, maps? OSMand~ is offline and works well. you just need a good POI-lookup app.
>look autistic and sound autistic
who gives a shit
>spend more money in the process
$10/year for a custom domain?
>miss out on new software fads normies use
who gives a shit? sounds like you are a normie anyways considering you're worried about fitting in with them
>makes you a bigger target in the long run
you have fewer attack vectors.

I deleted facebook months ago, don't use google search, use BBOS which is compromised by three-letter agencies but not by Google at least.

Tip for everyone here, freeze your credit shit right now. It's free in the U.S. That keeps anyone from using your name, address, and SSN they bought from the Equifax breach to open accounts.

>what's the point of using worse services just to be more private
What's the point in using curtains if you just block some of the sunlight? No one should know you like watching soap operas, eat your wifes ass and work on an old car in your spare time. But all that info is valuable to someone, and letting them have it is both dangerous and it solidifies this absolutely disgusting business model's place further. Even if we put aside the upcoming dystopia and bigger abuses of power, you're opening yourself up for data breaches and sales, and who knows what those individuals who got their hands on that info will do, but it's gonna be nasty.
>Is it worth it?
It's definitely worth it to promote freedom software, services and even hardware. For the sake of the future, the future your own kids will have to live. It's safer, it respects you and your needs and makes for better growth of technology. If you're doing it just to fit in here, then no.

Ive enjoyed the transition and the feeling of freedom, i was just listing the negatives. Some FOSS alternatives are really amazing
>bitwarden
>standard notes
>cryptomator
>synthing
>firefox
>andOTP
>fdroid

Shits great. Its just hard being completely FOSS when things rely heavily on proprietary software. It especially hard when you have a job that forces you to use what they use.

>t. Google Intelligence agent; psyops division

>Google offers a bunch of great aplications to use on the daily for "free" in exchange to show some ads in the meantime which you can block with chad uBlock Origin.
You are only seeing (the less important) half of the problem with Google and other similar service providers. It's not just that they provide ads, but HOW they are able to create and serve ads. In order for a targeted ad to be successful, there is an immense amount of consumer information required. Now, many people don't have any kind of moral or ethical issue with their information sitting in a bunch of company's databases, so I'll give a more realistic reason for why this is a bad thing.
The more information you have sitting around online, the more vulnerable you are to identity theft, and in some cases more extreme situations like blackmail or being robbed. As more and more players push for IoT, this issue only becomes worse. With IoT companies will now have data on things like when you turn your lights off, what times you leave your house and come back, etc. All of this can be potentially retrieved by a hacker and sold to criminals.

>what is linux for besides being a wannabe Mr. Robot hackerman?
Linux has a few main benefits. It's highly customizable, so people that enjoy tweaking their computer and software exactly to their liking may tend to use linux. Privacy is probably the main reason many consumers use it (it has many uses in the enterprise world, but that's not really what we're talking about). It's an open source operating system which means anyone can go audit the code and determine if there is any threat to your privacy or security.

>in exchange to show some ads
wrong and gay

explain

How do you not know about this? The PRISM project? Come on, do some research yourself. This isn't difficult. Here's more info:
stallman.org/google.html

Quality post making up for all those Apple spambot threads.

underrated

>Paranoia
They send every key you press in google chrome to the botnet, you can open wireshark and see for yourself moron. They're watching your every move when you use their shit.
>Muh games
Grow up manchild.

Not OP but who the fuck cares? I bet you posted this wearing a tinfoil hat.

>who cares about some randoms knowing your passwords?
I bet you posted this drooling on your keyboard.

Information is valuable. Just as companies protect trade secrets, product development, and strategic advantages from people who control, or would start, a competing business, individuals must also defend themselves from corporations/individuals that would use this info to better target you and sell product. Having a well-informed idea of what the consumer wants is likely good for both the consumer and business, but there are numerous disadvantages for the consumer, and really none for the business. That information can be used to persuade a consumer to purchase a product he did not previously consider purchasing (imagine a door2door salesman). The consumer has no idea who will have access to his information beyond the original contract-bound company.

The control of info has been in the domain of consumers in the past. Companies that offer "free" services are truly dedicated towards shifting information control into their own domain, away from the consumers. The more this shift continues, you will see in the future that corporations who invested into personal data collection early will be less responsive to financial pressures from traditional financial investors, as they will know what consumers want before they themselves do. They will entrench themselves deeply into the minds and lives of individuals until a life without the product/services of the hivemind companies becomes unimaginable, like an unquestionable tax for living among normies.

>He thinks knowing my password means anything
Your insults are so weak, they don't even make sense.

There is no paranoia about privacy.

Google manages to keep the power they have by providing services in exchange for data. In a way someone could see this as a fair exchange, as those aren't completely free services, they are resource heavy and they require constant maintenance. They have plenty of them as well and they are all about convenience.

The issue is, this is done without much consent at all. Instead of putting a paywall which will potentially drive away "customers", they just go like "oh don't worry, we'll take something else from you". It's like if someone said "oh, you'll need this anyways" and you may not. You might not need certain services. They just make it "easier" to get into them and put this idea in people's heads that they need all of these things. The data they gather in exchange is not only profitable but actually more useful than you might think.

Google has been, for plenty of time now, trying to influence people. Trying to manipulate search results, hide content away from people or send them where they actively want. This is no secret or conspiracy and has been verified over and over. This is not just a commercial move but also a socio-political one.

In order for this machine to function in a more "human" way, people should be really concerned about their privacy and stop using their services. There is no other way.

I gave up.
Sould my soul to the botnet because its convenient,
Still use linux stuff though when i want some privacy or want to actually get down to the nitty gritty details of everything.

>Google offers a bunch of great aplications
stopped reading there

Leave this board and never return.

Con te partiro, friendo

out of the 7 billion people on this earth, there are like 6.8 billion idiots, you cant win user