>Almost 2019
>Linux distros still have no install wizards
This is why linux will never be more popular than windows on the desktop

Attached: tux.png (220x261, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FYNDorbiH5g?t=141
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you can't install Linux you won't be able to use it

Popularity doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is btfoing archlets and macintoddlers. This way, quality can be preserved.

Attached: 1538992542954.gif (554x400, 119K)

this guy gets it.

Nice bait

That's ok I don't need normalfag cattle polluting linux.

What do you need install wizards for?
>sudo (package manager) install (packagename)
or if you have the usual command-line phobia,
>find package in GUI package manager software, click install
Done. It's installed.
You can also just double click a .deb or .rpm package to install programs as well.

dpkg -i package.deb

Linux is a kernel, brainlet. Why would it need a wizard?

We need retard NPC's selling themselves to windows so that Microsoft can donate more to the linux foundation. Somebody has to pay up so that the power-users can have a well maintained kernel for free. Retards are born to be milked.

Most linux distros have wizards for os installation that are even more dumbed down than windows, hes talking about software retard, have you even used linux retard?

>archlets
Leading force in keeping linux unpopular and unusable

>interjection

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I literally type 4 words into a black box and whatever the 4th word is will install and there is nothing else that needs to be done.
I haven't used windows in years but IIRC you need to give permissions by clicking a pop-up, click a next button a few times and then restart your whole computer.

Just don't use it you brainlet, there are dozens of distros tailored just for you.

package manager = install wizard

oof owie owie my retard

Linux is a kernel. It comes installed in Android.

Meanwhile we are still waiting for MS or Apple to even provide Live versions of their OS.

Attached: forever waiting.jpg (500x338, 29K)

I don't think you understand the point of this thread

>MOM XORG FUCKED UP AGAIN

>I literally type 4 words into a black box and whatever the 4th word is will install and there is nothing else that needs to be done.
You can also use alias.
alias exampleword='sudo apt install' in .bashrc file
exampleword firefox will install firefox next time

This is a cool way to configure things to be easier for someone new.

what is it then?

>talking about software retard
Who or what is the "software retard"?

Its not hard is just tedious, like doing 11*19, its easy to do by hand but why do it if i have a calculator.

>ESL pajeet get butthurt when people point out linux's flaws

youtu.be/FYNDorbiH5g?t=141

the fact that all linux distros lack this

>have you even used linux retard
It's not okay to use other people.

Attached: Vocative-comma.jpg (400x276, 17K)

>Meanwhile we are still waiting for MS or Apple to even provide Live versions of their OS.
Should we tell him?

Attached: 1540421335610.png (409x148, 117K)

>Linux distros still have no install wizards
Yes, they have package managers, which is the far superior option and even MS themselves are finally able to admit that with their Microsoft store.

You are either ESL, or autistic, native english speakers understand context regardless of grammar.

do you mean install wizards like for distribution installation or package managers? We already have the Ubiquity installer, YaST, and Anaconda. If you meant the earlier, we have shell scripts to install packages for us, yum, apt, Pacman, and graphical frontends for almost all of them. We don'e need package managers because we distribute software completely differently than windows

Yes, they lack the most obnoxious unnecessary anti feature windows has to offer. Linux BTFO.
Even MS admits that this is retarded, that is why MS store is a thing.

>microshit store
garbage and the equivalent on ubuntu, ect.. is cancer shit as well

>being able to install something without terminal is a anti feature.
Are you at least surprised linux isn't more popular?

>and the equivalent on ubuntu, ect.. is cancer shit as well
Isn't it just literally a frontend to the package manager?

yes

Remember to tab complete so there's less to type. It's not that bad after that. You can flow through a command in two seconds.

I don't think you understand anything, winbaby, why don't you go back to /v/?

No its shit

So you are talking about GUI package managers? Linux has them. What are you even trying to argue about?

Package managers can have GUIs too and in fact many doom
Again, MS basically admits to their decades of retardation, which were "install wizards", by introducing the MS store, which pretty much is the equivalent to a "package manager".

They might be superior unless you need to download some software which you aren't able to get from one. Then you need to download it from the internet, and if you want to make it work then you will probably need to either compile it yourself from git or some other freefag bullshit or totally give up because the package that's available isn't compatible with your shitty distro.

Linux is a kernel.

>No
Really? How else are the packages installed?

>its shit
Why?

I can flow through a simple equation in seconds to, still going to use a calculator though.

>Windows store is great and so is the just as shitty linux version of it

Attached: 1539723625402.png (645x729, 40K)

Debian has Synaptic and Gdebi. You don't really need the terminal but because it's so good people still use it.

Most of the time there is .deb which you can just download and install, which works like 95% of the time.

I agree that it can get shitty sometimes.

Aren't .deb files compatible with debian-based distros only?

Nice straw man.
But can you answer the questions I asked you?

Or do you base your opinions on nothing?

>Yes, they have package managers, which is the far superior option and even MS themselves are finally able to admit that with their Microsoft store.

>Popularity doesn't matter
lol keep saying that to yourself

No clue I just use debian, but the distro fragmentation makes this definitely worse.

Can you answer the questions?

And all I said was that the Microsoft store is superior to install wizards.

I started using linux recently on my laptop people here told me to go to reddit subboard for ricing inspiration and while scrolling down they had a poll of user professions and the top 2 out of 3 was unemployed and student made me laugh it looks like they have a strong arch presence as well which made me laugh a little more

> people here told me to go to reddit
If they did, they didn't mean you could return.

>Microsoft store is superior to install wizards
thats objectively false though

linux mint has an install wizard for newfags

Attached: Keklmao.jpg (124x124, 2K)

see

Linux users are already wizards

bait

wtf is an install wizard? installing programs is just clicking/typing something, no magic needed

A lot of them do have GUIs for installing shit.

Leaving aside the inferior selection, why?

Like? because ive never fucking seen it

because it is, all i want to do is download a exe and run it.

>what is a gui package manager

i just installed jdownloader on kubuntu, had to click through 5 windows to install it.

yep, wizards are far superior

There's a distro like that for autists like you.

Shit that doesn't work

>wanting a usable OS is autism

>Wubi

Why?
This is nothing more then emotional attachment.
On the windows store you can use 1 click to download the .exe and install it properly, without the numerous troubles and risks associated.

Do you have a reason which isn't your emotions?

Install wizards are so retarded even MS abandoned them, they are the opposite of "user friendly" and barely usable.

Doubling clicking an .rpm or a .deb should open a GUI installer on many distros/DEs. KDE software center Discovery can do it, openSUSE also has Yast which can do it and Yast can do one-click-installs from your browser, I believe Ubuntu has a gui tool to install a .deb package when you double click it and so on.

???
what are you talking about, opie? I literally just installed Ubuntu 18.04 with an install wizard
???

>risks associated.
nigger what?

>having to click next 100 times is more usable than pressing a single "install" button in a package manager
Do you also not use the app store on your phone?

>they are the opposite of "user friendly"
but copy and pasting shit into terminal is?

Then download the .deb and install it with gdebi, retard.

t. never used a linux distro in my life

>phone

Attached: 1537850095349.jpg (500x500, 28K)

I'm not the same guy but using a repo maintained by reputable people is much safer than going to random sites and installing .exe files.

go back to your tv, grandpa

>nigger what?
You have to rely on the security of the developer or associated websites. There are enough shady websites where these programs are offered, where you get some toolbars for your browser and numerous other bloatware.

Package managers

Both Linux and windows have graphical front ends to their package managers.
See the above discussion.

What you say?

Attached: 20181103051502_837x425_scrot.png (837x425, 109K)

This is a consumer technology board. Boomers pls leave.

If you actually mindlessly copy paste cli commands you deserver every error you get. Don't touch the command line if you're too dumb to use it.

Install a real distro

Attached: file.png (805x476, 97K)

>Using Gentoo with more than 700 packages
What's the point?

What's your point?

>don't install things

Never said that. My point is that you should stick to gui package managing if you are too dumb to write 4 simple words.

it does but these sit in front of it.

tedious? Relative to googling software, going to it's site, finding downloads page, downloading .msi, don't forget to uncheck adware, and finally allowing admin permissions to complete the windows standard installation process?
typing 4 words is a best case, and the worst is downloading the .deb; similar to windows.

>needing to use magic on an operating system
enjoy your botnet, potter