Jow Forums and jobs

You guys constantly whine about le whiteboard and shit but where the fuck are you guys looking? Why can't you guys just be comfortable by being head of IT in some small clinic or something? Why do you ALL choose to fucking be EPIC PROGRAMMERS for like IBM or some shit or a major corporation like yahoo or google?

Attached: 1540792259202.gif (576x324, 2.96M)

You need to try to maximise your salary at every opportunity, it's basic economics.

Programming has nothing to do with IT. Besides any programmer can be IT but IT majors cant get past math and only need certs

>be me
>working remotely at night
>heard something buzzing beside my computer
>see a huge cockroach flying and land on the wall
>grab my insecticide can
>gassing commence
>psssstttttttttttt
>cockroach flies towards me
>to be continued

>Thinking IBM is epic level programmers.
>Settling for crumbs
Fuck off.

It's the difference between settling for mediocrity and pursuing something extraordinary. I'd like to think everyone wants to be the latter.

nigg& you hi?

i just quit my job as the smartest tech guy at the company. we had an IT guy but he was frankly just not very smart and had 0 programming capability. i was on a team of like 20 people most of whom were friends/family of the company owners. most everyone in the company was and is incapable of operating a computer beyond opening up IE8 and watching youtube videos.

shit sucks. i still had a boss, who constantly asked me to do random shit for him like clean his computer full of viruses and trojans or manage his facebook ad or something else retarded. i always had everyone coming to me for anything and everything tech related. i was also the only programmer and no one had an ounce of respect for the tech they were using, they just expect everything to work how they think it should work and then when it doesn't, it's clearly broken and they come to me to do it for them.

i got paid less than some clowns who barely worked 20 hours a week in "remote" positions (because, again they were friends of the owners). boss constantly bitches about other people who don't do anything yet pays them out the wazoo.

we had a point of sale system i worked closely with because of their rest API. the pres of this company, who is frankly a retard, accused me of crashing their system because i sent like 1000 API requests over an hour long period. my boss calls me after hours to bitch at me and he had no understanding of anything going on--he still thinks an API is like an HTML form and constantly asks me to "show him the API". i literally quit the next day after this shit, went in the office, grabbed my shit, and called him and said i'd finish my last 2 weeks remotely.

working in a small company sucks unless you have a clear position of authority and power or someone who is tech savvy in a position of power. otherwise you have retards who just step on you and impede on everything you do.

>programming cuck
>extraordinary

Sounds like you couldn't say no.

>any programmer can be IT
maybe as help desk grunts, but you’d be floored at how many programmers have zero knowledge of how computer networks even work.

t. was Sysadmin for a company that employed around 200 programmers and engineers and was constantly blamed for applications failing and 99% of the time the network had nothing to do with it

It's no different in a big company that isn't tech focused.

>working in a small company sucks unless you have a clear position of authority and power or someone who is tech savvy in a position of power. otherwise you have retards who just step on you and impede on everything you do.

Consider it a valuable learning opportunity. You're probably turnt of at the moment at the prospect of having such a position again, but I suggest you reflect on this a little more.

Effectively it was all your fault (but you couldn't have known, because you were young/inexperienced/naive). The thing you did wrong was negotiated poorly, right from the start.

Next time you go into something like that, set up your responsibilities, boundaries and privileges right from the start, and build a framework from which these can be extended. A position like that is perfect, because you have the potential to really grow the company, and grow with it, if you can massage the bosses properly.

It takes a lot of experience and perseverance to do it right, but those people are then the CTOs.

I think it's nonetheless a good thing you quit there. But as I'm saying, I think you'd have a real headstart as a consultant, if you choose to go down this route. It'd be a shame if you stayed a programmer, but I do see the appeal (because it's easy, and stable)

> but you’d be floored at how many
programmers have zero knowledge of how computers work, or how to program.

t. Ex. SoftE, present DevOps.

Ι am at my final year of my PhD, wrapping up my thesis, mostly work on computer/network security and I had to sub in for a professor and do a consultation thing with a programming group of people wrapping up their masters, over common security pitfalls and the like
Forget hardware, 6/30 of those fucking monkeys were using fucking gets() on C programs, had everything public in java and not even 1 knew what a stack was

IT admin, network tech, network engineer, along with the hundreds of names it has (because small to medium companies just pick a random ass name) is comfy. You don't have to do anything unless something breaks or fucks up. Little to no programming is needed, unless your the web dev, but that is still not that much you need to know. Bring your laptop and just game, stream shit, read, etc.

I work in a factory and we have two IT guys that don't do shit. They do bare minimum.
>Setup a pc once in a while.
>Setup the PA for the safety meetings in the break room.
>Reboot the WiFi once in a blue moon.
>Maintain one server that only is used for user logins and as a file server.
This is all they do.

I started off in programmimg, it was filled by pajeets and scammed me. Quit after 3 months got a networking job and going for my ccna and its much better

IT is literally brainlet work. I'm actually kind of disgusted every time I see a post on Jow Forums about IT, even more so than all the consumer electronic shit. IT is literally pajeet tier.

I got offered a support job at a call center this week.

I kind of need a job and it pays okay, but on the other hand I really don't want to talk to people answering stupid questions all day.

So much this.
Been there, done that.

You're not conpletely wrong. But if nobody in your company values IT then you'll have a very hard time. Many normie companies think of IT like something of water or electricity, something that should "just work" no matter what you want to do with it.
The only realistic way to deal with such folks is to instill fear on them. Wait for some network problem on the news (look it up on some tech site). If you notice one, shutdown the server without second thought. Wait until they call you. Lock yourself in the server room, curse and come out one hour later and tell them somethink like "you were very lucky I could reinstall the supervapor-fixture-ethernet-dongle, otherwise the data could have been lost. Better buy a new server, you're still running a super old version.."

You get the idea. Bullshit youself into a position of power and make them invest. If people invest something, they value it more.

And I'm not even a bad person, but normies either fear you or they act like snotty brats. You have to protect them of themself.

Small business IT guy here. You dont want to be head of IT in some small clinic or something because the pay will be shit, you will be responsible for issues that you do not have the authority to solve, and you will be on call 24-7.