Can you become proficient at computer science and get a good career in it without going through the college meme...

Can you become proficient at computer science and get a good career in it without going through the college meme? I'm apparently some kind of prodigy at CS but I hate having to go to college every day.

Attached: 1531348753489.jpg (550x550, 15K)

You won't make as much and will probably start of at a shit company.
>prodigy
Is this your first semester? Even if you are good, then school will only help you more so if you get internships and projects

just publish a groundbreaking paper bro

>prodigy
>going to college every day.

Actual employed web dev here,

As a full time student, I went to college 2 days a week. Sure, those were 16 hour days, but that's nothing compared to the 7 16 hour days per week that I worked for months when I finally got a job.

How the fuck hard is college anyway? You know what I did in class during those 16 hour days? I just sat in the back and browsed /a/ and /c/ all day. My profs were really good at putting their shit online, so I just studied on my off days in the comfort of my own home after a good night of sleeping in.

>I'm apparently some kind of prodigy at CS

what makes you say that?

you are not. Kill yourself

Yes.

Attached: 1540851521247.jpg (443x455, 40K)

Yes you can but it's just because of the sheer demand for CS people there is. Getting a degree in CS will do you better in the long run though. Also if you want to get good at CS without going to college you will need to actually spend time working on CS. Most people can't do that even if they are talented. Just stay in college man it won't kill you. If you're in CS you'll pay off whatever student loans really fast. Also, try not to have a superiority complex because that in itself could ruin your career and you won't even know why. I know a guy or two who really fucked himself because he couldn't stop jerking his ego.

He watched Serial Experiments Lain and knows of Lainchan (even though he's never posted on /lambda/).

he's the best programmer in his house (also the only one)

> I'm apparently some kind of prodigy at CS
That's what your parents told you?
> Can you become proficient at computer science and get a good career in it without going through the college meme?
Somebody can, but not you and me neither. CS gives a good foundation, you'll be severely capped in your growth without it.
t. sysadmin w/o a tech education, don't understand code except Bash.

Pretty much this. Unless OP is taking about just coding, which you can become good at w/o the rigor of university, there are very select few who can go into CS research without 4 years of undergrad.

Also reminder unless you have a perfect GPA at MIT/Berkeley/CMU, you're not a "prodigy".

>I'm apparently some kind of prodigy at CS

Attached: 1537065290734.jpg (552x690, 35K)

>7 16 hour days per week
What the fuck

Are you uncomfortable around others? Skipping college and other social ceremonies is not the answer

>Somebody can, but not you and me neither. CS gives a good foundation, you'll be severely capped in your growth without it.
He didn't say without CS, he said without college. Of course anyone can, but they'll be lacking in lots of shit. Unless they take some free online course, like MIT's courses.

Have fun getting it approved by (((peer reviews))) without a degree.

i you can make some money to live while you make your projects you can consider yourself a prodigy btw when we talk about a degree we talk about making money that you dont have in the moment before (short answer,yes you can make a path aside of college if you are "smart" and know your shit

>He thinks a 4.0 at a top tier school makes you a prodigy
lma at your life

jobs are super easy compared to school
it's nearly impossible to be fired in a corporate environment and getting promoted is just playing politics
formal education is just a bunch of failures who want to get back at their wealthy successful classmates by having power over a bunch of kids by making them do things "the right way" vs the real way

You'll hate having to go to a job every day, too

>be me
>be in co-op internship
>love my job
>love my coworkers
>boss said he legally can't guarantee that he'll hire me when I graduate, but he pretty much said he would if he could
>haven't done a single upper-division class
>I have to go back to class in january

Attached: 1529348324320.jpg (600x632, 29K)

Lain is my gf

i want to ask the opposite, is going to school to have teachers whip you up because youre too lazy to learn stuff on your own worth it?

that's my wife you're talking about buddy

Yeah I am a network engineer that makes 150k plus nice benefits.

I am really smart though , so there is that.

Get certs then get an entry job that pays nothing and start working hard, learning all you can.

>Can you become proficient at computer science and get a good career in it without going through the college meme

Yes.

>I'm apparently some kind of prodigy at CS but I hate having to go to college every day.

You just need a degree in something. You could major in astronomy or religious studies and still get a job.

Attached: CS guide.png (1068x1142, 178K)

>I'm a prodigy
>Poeple value me for my skills
>I'm well known.
If you want to live past 60, go to college.
If you wnt to live past 45, don't go to college

>i want to ask the opposite, is going to school to have teachers whip you up because youre too lazy to learn stuff on your own worth it?
It depends. If they are competent and actually teach you important stuff, yes, it's worth it. However, if they end up just teaching you how to use their meme frameworks which will be outdated after 6 months and other irrelevant stuff, no, it's not only not an advantage, but a hinderance too.
Whether people want to admit it or not, the whole point of college is simply *getting a degree*, possibly with the bonus of forming interesting connections if you have the chance.
Nothing more, nothing less. Period. Everything you learn in college can be learned outside of college.

it can be learned outside of college for sure, but you need the resources and the directions, very valuable stuff that college gives you right away, I tried to digg info on database theory and I was out of luck, classes were full of theory I couldn't find elsewhere.

So I should not go to college to get past 45, then go to college to make it past 60?

COMPUTER SCIENCE IS NOT PROGRAMMING.

NO, YOU CANNOT BE A COMPUTER SCIENTIST WITHOUT A DEGREE.

YOU CAN BE A CODE MONKEY THOUGH.

I was very desperate. I had been searching for a job for 1.5 years, and when I finally got one, it was just a 3 month internship. I was terrified that if I lost that job, I wouldn't find another for another year and a half. So, you bet that I put in those hours. It wasn't just a job on the line, bro. It was my life.

>but you need the resources and the directions, very valuable stuff that college gives you right away
This is true, but it also enforces a rigid schedule, assignments and deadlines that must be met, all of which create more stress, which is highly detrimental to learning.
This is highly personal, but I found learning stuff unrelated to courses (both during, and after college) much easier than studying for exams, since I did not have the same kind of pressure. I could go at my own pace and focus on actually understanding the material, instead of worrying about the day of the exam getting closer and closer. So in the end, it's a tradeoff. You get more guidance at the cost of more pressure.

Were degrees completely irrelevant to get a job, I would not have gone to college, for this reason. I'd rather spend more time digging up resources and directions in exchange for less stress and more freedom. But since it isn't irrelevant, I don't regret it, because having a degree opened doors that would be closed to me otherwise.

you raise a valid point sir, wish avaliable resources were of higher quality though, fuck google

That is correct.

Alternate strat: FInd a job that is extremely lax and you can fuck around at. Bring your laptop and tools in and be the best security guard possible.

Then lain the fuck out on your own time. No stress, no goals just what you want to do. Shit's cozy

Attached: cU78l3Z.png (1101x851, 1.12M)

Bump for lainposting

Attached: serial_experiments_lain_desktop_1280x800_wallpaper-425601.jpg (1280x800, 589K)