What is the best linux distro for home use and WHY? give SPECIFIC reasons

what is the best linux distro for home use and WHY? give SPECIFIC reasons.

Attached: linux_pepe.jpg (750x1000, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

q4os.org/forum
q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=11404#p11404)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lubuntu
-lightweight
-just works
-not footgnomebloat

Windows because it just works

Q4OS. It looks and feels like Windows XP with a blue theme since it uses TDE (a KDE 3.5 fork) as the desktop and has a rock solid Debian base system. The file picker has thumbnails in Chromium, which is a nice touch that Gnomefags will never enjoy.

gentoo because its whatever you want it to be

how does it compare to xubuntu

faster and more intuitive

intuitive in what way. xubuntu seems pretty dead simple from my experience

it's not. xfce is superior in every way.

Ubuntu Mate. It does everything you would need it to damn near out of box and you practically cant break it. For a home computer with multiple users who may or maynot be keen on linux I cannot think of any other straight forward distro. "but muh bot net datamine" all that aside, Its not the most pretty system at all and it has some major redundency problems for legacy reasons, I guess.

>It looks and feels like Windows XP
Placebo-ware.
Just use Ubuntu Gnome for fucks sake. It's intentionally easy, has long term support, and most anything that will run on any other Linux will run there. Also, it's much easier to find help online. I use it exclusively for my media consumption machines. Games, movies, music, it's got great support for all of that stuff. It's only real drawbacks are, older packages, less customization options, and apt package manager.

NixOS
>source based
>atomic updates
>easy rollbacks (no need for buggy filesystem snapshots like btrfs)
>large repos
>awesome package management system
>everything is in your configuration.nix, can reinstall whenever and be back
>fully functional programming and system management = no side effects from installing packages
>support multiple versions of gcc, clang, python, whatever
>stable as a rock

Ubuntu 18.04. Stop falling for meme distros.
>snap packages OOTB--if you don't think this is a good thing for Linux, you're delusional
>rock solid stability
>literally baby-proof in ease of use
>still Ubuntu, meaning you can tear it apart if you want

Perhaps the best form of Linux on the desktop. Don't kid yourself with memejaro and distros of the month.

aka Timesink OS, because good luck hacking together a recipe for that one obscure package you need that isn't in the repo already.

>Placebo-ware.
A desktop oriented interface that uses 250MB with all the bells and whistles is placebo-ware? Are you out of your fucking mind, Gnomenigger? My desktop environment does everything yours does twice as fast with 1/5th of the RAM usage and runs on even the most barebones toaster pulled straight from the trash. You can't compete. Don't even try.

>It's intentionally easy
What, by shoehorning a tablet interface onto desktops and laptops? It's easy when it doesn't show thumbnails in the file picker and leaks memory like a retard who shit himself? What a joke.
>has long term support
So does Q4OS. It's built on Debian.
>and most anything that will run on any other Linux will run there
>Games, movies, music, it's got great support for all of that stuff

Attached: q4os.png (1280x1024, 138K)

ubuntu just werks

Install arch or gentoo

Would love if they open-sourced Bourbon to be merged into TDE upstream, but sadly they wont.

meant to quote
not that gnomenigger

It's less than 5% faster and only on old computers. But Xubuntu is shit compared to Mint Xfce. Mint has better defaults and fixes a lot of issues Xubuntu has.

>Would love if they open-sourced Bourbon
Please explain. Is it not open source already?

Attached: 1535478819260.jpg (1080x1080, 144K)

That XP-style start menu is not part of upstream trinity, but their homemade menu called "Bourbon". Only way to get it is to either install Q4OS or add their sources to a debian system to pull their modified trinity.
asked the devs about whether they have plans for merging their changes upstream, but sadly:
>we have no plans to merge the fork code with Trinity. You are welcome to create a topic in our forum q4os.org/forum , it is the best place to get a non-commercial Q4OS support. There is also a chance for other users to share your experience.

So is the source code for the menu available or what?

nope

well, at least not openly; you might be able to get it by asking for it. I'm too lazy to check whether TDE is GPL or what

Isn't KDE GPL software? Wouldn't they be in violation of the GPL here, or is it a totally new menu that's an independent application?

Bourbon is inside of their version of TDE's "kicker"; that is, the menu of TDE where you normally only have two styles (that ugly-ass huge KDE menu with tabs and that simple list).
TDE is GPL it seems, so Q4OS devs should provide source. I was only asking them about whether they'll merge Bourbon

I see no problem with this as long as they provide the source code to any GPL software the modify.

You could try modyfing the sources.list from "deb" to "deb-src" though!

i agree - the nextcloud snap is nice

welp, their forum has the answer it seems (q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=11404#p11404)

>If you would like to get a specific source codes, please ask them via e-mail [email protected], you are welcome to check, modify, and/or publish them. All sources are available in accordance to GPL or a related licence depending on the project they are derived from.

based Q4OS team

Attached: 1535447135143.png (604x516, 121K)

Fuck me for just last week switching from Debian to Leap instead of Q4OS because of that. All I want is a comfy desktop. Guess I got something to do for next weekend

looks cool, will check it out

Take the Q4OS redpill, user. You'll be the comfiest man on Earth. OpenSUSE is good but it just doesn't have that coziness that classic KDE has, and everyone loves to shit on apt but zypper is a real pain in the ass sometimes.

Best part about Q4OS is that you can try it in a virtual machine! That's right! You open the software center, scroll down, and BANG! VirtualBox guest additions that make it just werk in a VM, right at the push of a button!

Attached: 1539742209620.jpg (2000x2000, 289K)

id rather not be fucked in the ass by microsoft

i use mint because plug and play and newfag

KDE Neon
>graphical installer
>works out-of-the-box without fighting over config files
>stable channel for its own DE- gets updates fast without sacrificing stability
>strong foundation for long-term support thanks to Ubuntu repositories + KDE support

fedora
'nuff said

Ubuntu Christian Edition
- discontinued so you'll never need to update
- Cloud Daddy™
- is Ubuntu derived
- no systemd

Attached: 1470792067398.png (268x237, 36K)

Manjaro. Its not contrived, yet easily customizeable to a pretty granular level.

arch
>inb4 mom xorg
pros:
- rolling release, up-to-date packages, aur
- just werks
- big-ass wiki
- nice package manager, really fast
cons:
- installing isn't that fun

Debian, Fedora and Mint with Cinnamon. Because they look like Windows and doesn't break.

>unless your IQ is bellow 140

NixOS. Never fear again that an update could brick your system. Also it has the best way to declare development enviromnent I've seen.

Solus because it shiny

>installing isnt that fun
i dont get how/why people complain about installing arch. idk if ive just installed gentoo one too many times, but i just done see how arch is hard/annoying to install