Has anyone here used Steam on Linux?

Has anyone here used Steam on Linux?
How hard is it to install games?
Is it similar to Windows or do you have to fuck around with terminal commands and other annoying shit?

Attached: question_fry.jpg (420x300, 18K)

it's easy if you're not using an autistic distro

ok, thanks.
I'm using Mint

It's also easy if you're using an autistic distro.
layman -a steam-overlay
emerge steam-meta

It's easy to install the client, and it's easy to install the games; it's exactly the same as in Windows. Nothing works though. From all the games that claim to be supported, only the ones in 2D sometimes work as good as on Windows. About 60% of 3D games will run with 40FPS less than in Windows, and the other 40% won't even launch. I tried moving to GNU/Linux for a while but it really is a chore:
>install game
>see if it runs
>it doesn't run or it runs with bugs
>have to look up stuff and tweak shit to make it work 'perfect'
>if you succeed it runs worse than on Windows
>if you don't, you just uninstall the game and you keep on your mental blacklist of games that won't even launch
But at least I can guarantee that Terraria and Plague Inc. run perfectly. Those are literally the only 2 games I've found to run the same on both OSes. Prepare to play 800 hours of Terraria lad.

In my case installing games is as easy as in windows.
Getting steam itself to run is just as easy in theory, but in practice there can be a myriad of little obscure problems that slowly gnaw on your sanity until you give up and decide to go the hard, but tried and true way of running it through wine. That probably has to do with me having an optimus laptop though.

Since recently, you can even launch Windows games from the Linux Steam client and don't need to run Steam through Wine (which runs horribly) though there are some games that would still benefit from your own managed wine-prefix. I hope they'll get the stupid net-framework and codec issues sorted out soon.

you click install game and then double click the game

native games work fine. thats the case for windows games running under wine though

>go to steampowered.com
>click install steam
>download .deb
>click .deb
>click install
>run steam
>opt-in to steam play/proton
>click a game
>install
>run it
It just fucking works kiddo welcome to 2018
Not in the current year famalam, that was then, this is now

it's literally just like steam on windows.
The only draw back is that not all of the games are available in linux. Otherwise it works the same, your just install them and play them.

What? You click install game. Why would it be any different?

>native games work fine
No. I'm talking specifically about native games. They do now work flawlessly, nor out of the box, nor as good as on Windows.
>just install this rebranded emulation shit that works decent enough with 200 games that don't matter
Not a solution. In the current year there's no way to run CS:GO on GNU/Linux without it being 40FPS behind what Windows gets with the same hardware. The gay emulation layer is two or three decades away from being a solution.

>Has anyone here used Steam on Linux?
Yes
>How hard is it to install games?
It isn't
>Is it similar to Windows or do you have to fuck around with terminal commands and other annoying shit?
Very similar, just press the button that says "Install"

Do you believe in gods user? Can you swear to your god that every single Linux supported game you have installed has worked? We both know you can't.

> They do now work flawlessly, nor out of the box, nor as good as on Windows.
I don't follow. What problems are you experiencing? I haven't found any problems (as long as you install the right drivers for GPU to begin with, as with any OS).

It's not emulation you ignorant retard. WINE stands for WINE is not an emulator.

If it says it's made for Linux, it was tested on SteamOS, which is basically Debian with a fuckload of bloat that is needed to run all those games.

Its the same as windows then, but make sure you don't use the .deb from the website. It always fucks up my system when I do that

> Is it similar to Windows or do you have to fuck around with terminal commands and other annoying shit?
It is when it works. Steam on Linux isn't without bugs preventing its launch, I had to search error messages when it couldn't find the library it needed, but then it went OK.
You'll probably need to "fuck around" with terminal commands anyway, since, for example, Proton works with Nvidia drivers 390+ and on Debian you need to enable the backports repo for that.

> What problems are you experiencing?
Framerate is a bit lower with the Steam-specific Wine, could be an issue for those who barely could squeeze out 30 FPS on WIndows.

Ah, I thought we were talking about Linux native games.

I'm playing Cities Skylines with Manjaro, only problem is my shitty laptop.

i've got a crappy laptop, so yeah, most of the games i have tried on linux have worked, given there are low specs in most case.
There was also a game that didn't run at all in windows but it runs no problem over linux.