Careers/Jobs

What do you guys do for a living? Do you enjoy it or do you wish you went into something else?

Attached: 1420166318282.jpg (706x720, 38K)

I've always worked tech support however my current tech support role is working with more software technologies and less dependent on taking phone call after phone call.

I'm glad that I finally have a stepping stone that feels like it could finally lead to some kind of software/dev ops gig.

"data science"
it pays the bills and I have my own, comfy office

That's awesome dude, I'm glad you're doing well :)

I'm going back to school for statistics to get into that. How demanding is it? Does your daily routine involve much analysis or is it more managing things server side?

Route Technician:
>Drive
>Fix arcade games
>Make&Modify electronics
>Eat tendies
>Profit

That's a based job, what's the pay like?

I used to work as tech support, then I quit my job to go back to school and realized it would be a waste of my time. Now I'm looking for another job. I plan on working full-time and studying on my free time, so that in a few years I can go back to school and breeze through everything.

Write a bitch ass amount of php daily, the pay is good but I need to be in a fucking desk from 9 to 5 every weekday.

The Chad QA Engineer

Attached: 4B717DFA-7D4C-414B-9CBD-C3B24F888C39.jpg (981x1524, 355K)

Project Manager
Everyday

But i'll never make this much money doing the jobs of the idiots I manage.

MFW when some autistic developer starts shitting his pants over some infinitesimal decision about UX design that he finds stupid, when he has no fucking clue.

Attached: Tequila_Shots.jpg (600x450, 64K)

Guy above you I feel your pain when devs argue with me about requirements as plain as day.

Why every single manager in this board call their subordinates idiots? We're just trying to do our jobs.

Attached: 1528800825055.jpg (793x786, 54K)

Big 4 tax. There's a huge push toward automating things with Alteryx and Tableau.

I work in a retail warehouse. Fucking kill me.

havent seen this kind of garbage in a while

I'd be relieved to have specs I disagree than what I get right now, which is nothing at all. My managers are the ones having the autistic meltdown when I make do with incomplete instructions and - surprise! - what I create doesn't match what they had in their heads and never wrote down.

Computer engineer. I've been a firmware programmer most of my career. I have a pattern of starting a job, really enjoying it for the first year while I'm learning lots of new things then getting bored and moving on to another job. It's nice to be in such demand that I can do that sort of thing.

In house tech support. It's nice, I get to wander around the building all day.

> plain as day (to you)
Do your devs a favor and quit.

I do machine-learning cluster computing in Scala + Spark while doing a CS/CE masters degree (student worker). It's meh: oddly enough I got into this algorithm/math heavy subfield while being complete shite at math and aiming for a low-level embedded mission after doing some webdev shit. Life's wild. I'm vomiting blood on a daily basis but hope it's going to be lucrative in the future.

>make this button here
>button not there
>I feel it doesn't look right
I dunno shit can't be hard to see with mocks

Still with my first job as a software project manager.
It's pretty comfy. I work my own hours.
>tfw I have autists underneath me to do the grunt work

Same, my dude.
High shovel.

Mmkay so if you're being honest you need to fire your team and unfuck the hiring process that brought them to you. Or if you're as full of shit as you sound then you just plain do not have the self-awareness to be a leader. Either way your office sounds like a place humans visit to turn small problems into big ones and then feel proud for solving big problems.

Bro I'm the QA
We need to make a Chad/Virgin edit

Software development for a financial firm. Pays well. Not far from home. Good benefits. Not much to dislike.

Ask me how I know that you aren’t really a project manager.

Project Manager
i get to shitpost all day and let the autistics do all the dirty work

>I work in a retail warehouse. Fucking kill me.
I was there friend. Got a couple certs, then a shit help desk job, now a slightly better help desk job. Going back to school in January with my work footing much of the bill. Things can get better if you keep on moving.

>What do you guys do for a living?
Embedded dev
>Do you enjoy it?
Yes

I'm on the same boat, things start to get really stale after the first 6 months and then I start to hate everything after the first year.

Startup working on solutions for digitizing and structuring PDFs.. You'd think it was a solved problem but it's 2018 and PDFs cause more problems than ever before.

We're experimenting with custom tailored OCR solutions using template matching and deep learning, machine learning on big data sets for object detection and segmentation to identify graphical elements, regular expressions to identify patterns and parse the content, writing our own parsers for other markup languages, finite state machines, stream editors like SED, Levenshtein distance for comparing texts, lots of statistics, you name it. Fun as hell and we've only scratched the surface.

"""software""" """"""""""""""""""analyst""""""""""""""""""""
every single fucking day

Developer, learning DevOps stuff because we don't really have a CI/CD pipeline yet, and it's fallen to me and another guy to get it done. It's OK I suppose, it's fairly close to home and it pays the bills, otherwise it's pretty standard C# .net core and T-SQL stuff, I try and avoid the Angular front-end faggotry as much as possible but still get roped in from time to time.

It's usually the latter. Idiots who love the drama.

And we do shit-can them, but that's not really where you want to be. The thing is that you really need to let the good people on your team experience the shittiness for a while, so they good ones don't start thinking you shit can people for no reason.

Just recently we shit-canned two who we were just fed-up with. One of them a QA guy who would miss shit, and when everyone else would point out a miss, he would say "good catch," as f we were all out in a field trying to chase down flyballs at outfield practice.

No. It wasn't a "good catch" it was a simple typo error by the client, which we pay you to catch so that other team members can focus on other shit. Now, GTFO

Meanwhile, Pete the programmer is wondering if he should give access for all three approvers for review and access, or only one.

Gee, Pete, what the fuck do you think? All three? Innovative idea ... roll with it.

thinking of applying for a job which says that knowledge of C# and T-SQL is preferable, what are they like to work with?

Sounds interesting. What are you using as training data?

This guy gets it. Project manager here too

Sounds like the idiot couldn't even do automation.
Why hire qa who can't code?