Why does Jow Forums still use Linux?

Why does Jow Forums still use Linux?

You realise it’s not actually Unix right?

Attached: B75F64A2-AAA6-48AD-8D37-D3373AD95A18.jpg (387x397, 38K)

Unix is shit.

yes, but it good enough.

>memeos
>only usable software comes from solaris

Cuz it works and I have no reason to switch.
Strictly following the unix philosophy just for the sake of following the unix philosophy is retarded.

Linux is not the problem, gnu and systemd are the problem

Anyway yeah openbsd is better

No GNU's not Unix, Linux is.

That's why we need GNU/Linux or, as I recently started to call it, GNU+Linux. GNU is not Unix plus Linux that is Unix.

FreeBSD is 100x better than linux.

>You realise it’s not actually Unix right?
I don't like proprietary shit. That's why I don't use UNIX.

>FreeBSD is 100x better than linux.
>This is literally how some people measure technology advances

are you all a bunch of 12 year olds or first year CS students?

I use Slackware which is close enough.

The BSDs generally lack features that Linux has, not because they disagree with the features, but because they lack the man-power to actually implement them.

like what?

usable virtualization, file systems, multi-threading

GhostBSD literally has all of those or even better (ZFS > any Linux filesystem )

i use macOS Mojave

The file systems are ok for general purposes, for everything else you have ZFS.

SMP isn't that much of a difference, there might be some performance benefits on linux, but nothing major.

virtualization, that might be the biggest downside. then again virtualization is garbage anyway and will be replaced by containers soon enough. also building abstraction on a broken architecture that is vulnerable to so many bugs or designed security holes, doesn't benefit you technologically at all.

1. Everyone knows Linux is not Unix, it is a kernel.
2. GNU's Not Unix.
3. Berkely Software Distributions are not Unix, contrary to what you seem to imply with your image.

Being UNIX or not isn't an issue.

Attached: 1537764528533.jpg (291x261, 38K)

Didn't linux stand for "linux is not unix"?

Poor containerisation and virtualisation support

Linux is just Unix and Minix style naming from the creator's name, Linus. Any acronym is just a backronym.

Because in order to get a true Unix you have to use something like AIX or HP-UX that costs an assload of money because Unix is proprietary and you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement with whoever owns the Unix copyright at the time to use the Unix code base.

BTW, that means BSD isn't a true Unix either, and it hasn't been since I think 4.3BSD when they rewrote the kernel to avoid being sued.

I'm having a stroke reading this goddamn thread. 80% of posters ITT are surely bots or autists who are as useful/well-intentioned as bots anyway. I'd ask why is Jow Forums so shit, but I already know that bots and shills are the majority of posters. Your shitposting is an attempt to disperse anyone with actual interest in discussing tech/programming, so no one can actually improve themselves in order to contribute advancement for the benefit of humanity without a dollar on their minds.

Jesus, I need to cancel my internet and go lock myself in a library. Jow Forums addiction is worse than alcohol. And fuck Captcha.

using FreeBSD right now for work.

linux>freebsd

*hugs*

Just cancel your Jow Forums internet forum subscription and visit reddit instead.

you realise your a faget right

fp, as always, bp.

I use Linux precisely because it's not Unix.

I know its a shitpost but what would be an alternative to Unix besides NT? I'm unfamiliar with my options

Freedos
Syllable
Haiku
Os/2
Skyos
Temple os
Riscos
Amiga os

Oh shoot thanks for the quality user!

Unix was a proprietary system in the 70s and they're suing till today free software projects.

Also: Linux is a kernel, a confusion that got Linux sued for stealing Unix tools.

If you glorify Unix, you're a faggot.

this