Fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: epic gamer moment.jpg (1280x720, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=manjaro
youtube.com/watch?v=sUsSIGlnLtY
protondb.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=yo1qqUH6_O4
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:PrivacyPolicy
youtube.com/watch?v=BFpe8BnlOgA
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_time
wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDA3100v3
github.com/jurobystricky/Netgear-A6210
distrowatch.com/?newsid=10361
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

based

>he's still on arch instead of using manjaro for superior stability and no downsides

Attached: 1527375345846.jpg (2000x2000, 315K)

Can't. Didn't set up a root account. But if I sudo su, and then try brightnessctl, it still doesn't work. It says I am currently at 0% brightness, which is, ofcourse bullshit.

FEDORA FEDORA FEDORA FEDORA
USE GNU/LINUX FOR CHADS
FEDORA 29 MAKES GNOME BEARABLE
INSTALL CHAD DISTRIBUTION TODAY

I am using CowsayOS.

Attached: 2018-11-04-022512_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 136K)

>Ubuntu
STOP NOW STOP
TAKE THE RED(HAT) PILL. DON'T FALL FOR THE CANONICAL BOTNET.
ENJOY MODERN PACKAGES.
INSTALL NOW.

You read that wrong.
Go back to sleep sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Attached: 2018-11-04-023306_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 126K)

I have some random questions that I'm asking as a noob and because this thread doesn't have any real discussion atm

This is my first attempt at messing with the customization of Linux, how're the colors n the fonts?

What's the point of various terminal emulators besides aesthetics? I've tried Lilyterm and xfce-terminal, and the only difference was Lilyterm was ugly.

Should I learn Bash or learn/use a different shell like zsh?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-03_13-40-34.png (1280x1024, 1.35M)

>Didn't set up a root account
You did, you cannot create a 2nd user without root creating it.

>how're the colors n the fonts
What do you mean?
>What's the point of various terminal emulators besides aesthetics
Functionality. I use w3m sometimes and some terminals can't so images in w3m. You can change the look of the terminal if you want to though.

No, it was an option during installation to not create root and have the user become root with su. Idk the logistics behind it, but I cannot log into su.

>shells
The shells are 99% the same but bash is the standard. There are some syntax differences and most scripting info you will find is in bash.

>terminals
They can all achieve the same shit essentially it's just taste.

>Lilyterm was ugly
Probably just an ugly stock color profile

Trying out Deepin. Hope it's good.

>bash is the standard.
sh is the standard

become root with sudo, I mean.

>what do you mean?

Sorry meant in the pic I posted.

I use w3m too, what terminals show pictures in them? I just assumed terminals didn't show images at all.

Thanks for your response

This. Never looking back.

Bash is an implementation of sh.

/bin/sh probably points to /bin/bash on your system

The only thing that I think actually matters as far as terminal colors go is that they are at least noticeable as the correct color.

Most of the time it doesn't matter though, and there are a lot of themes that totally just say "fuck it" to the way the colors are supposed to be defined. But they're actually supposed to be black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white
in that order. If you can recognize them as such then the color scheme is fine in my book.

Also, your font subpixel rendering seems fucked up to me.
The way it appears to my naked eye is as if you have it set to BGR instead of RGB but when I zoom in it looks like RGB, so I don't know.
Make sure you have it set right: lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=manjaro

Attached: 1529371438092.png (936x480, 406K)

XTerm and Urxvt can show pictures, if you have the w3m-img package. Feel like it's more of a gimmick though.

>pic
Do you want to know how to customize fonts and colors?

>CRUX is number 120
And this is why you outgrow lists designed at attracting noobs.

Found on askubuntu
"WARNING: Directly logging in as root is like playing with fire, because one little typo is enough to lose critical data or make your system unbootable. Note that desktop environments will also function incorrectly if you login to them as root."

END OF TIMES!! APOCALYPSE!! DON'T USE ROOT OR ELSE YOUR SYSTEM WILL AN HERO!!!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=sUsSIGlnLtY
Thread theme, because we need to rock something while we distro hop :^)

Attached: tofubo.gif (302x500, 914K)

>designed at attracting noobs
It measures interest it's not designed to attract 'noobs'

root is a virus sir kindly do the needful and delete root

Why haven't you apt-got hebcal yet, user????

protondb.com/
Wanna play gaymes on GNU

Guys please shill me a distro.
Currently I am using Arch, but I want to go away from the systemd bloat.
One mayor pain point currently in Arch for me is whenever I have to compile software because I want to compile it with different flags or shit like that. I always found this to be a pain in the ass. Is there any lightweight and customizable distro whomst's package manager handles those edge cases nicely?

looking for something similiar to osx's spotlight search, anyone got something?

Parabola, I heard Void is good

>I want to go away from the systemd bloat.
G E N T O O

"Disable the scrollbar.. why waste valuable screen real-estate when you should be using tmux scrollback?"

I fucking hate this community.

>look for OP's pic
>is Luke Smith
>check the video
>is about scripts
>not my cup of tea
>check linked video in the description
>jackpot
youtube.com/watch?v=yo1qqUH6_O4
The dankest intro.

Attached: 1457291393079-2_001.gif (377x350, 95K)

>Make sure you have it set right

How do I fix this if it's wrong?

>fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:PrivacyPolicy
>using fedora botnet

I FINALLY FUCKING FIXED JESUS CHRIST
as you can see rxvt has a shadow but FUCKING conky doesn't
fuck

Attached: 2018-11-03-1541302306.png (1920x1080, 634K)

Hey Luke

Luke is using CRUX!?

He's using Arch and Parabola on his machines afaik.

youtube.com/watch?v=BFpe8BnlOgA
Cool talk not listed in youtube.

My dear niggas. After 8000 hours trying to figure out why shit doesn't work, I finally have it sort of working. Here is my WIP.

Attached: 2018-11-04-051748_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 800K)

Good to hear that pal
>CowsayOS
the fuck?

Super secret alpha stage OS. Don't tell anyone. (I edited the Neofetch file)

okay I'm gonna take it here
any of you who use thinkpad have any problems with the trackpoint?
all debian based distros on my thinkpad t440p have shit trackpoint drivers, they are too fucking laggy and skip pixels. I have to use the trackpad or else I die of aids. Any of you have this problem?
Is not even a version problem I guess because it works fine on either centos rhel or fedora as far as I tested... well I'm not sure about fedora, it may be a version thing, I'm downloading fedora 29 to test out the latest libinpit driver there

How do i get an instagram password for somebody elses account that isnt a scam?

Attached: 2CE50D1E-28ED-470A-8C4D-0BFEAF9EB169.jpg (259x194, 17K)

Anyone here heard of or use Artix GNU/Linux?
>Arch with Runit instead of systemd
>only Lxqt or i3 are available
>access to aur
>made by former members of arch or manjaro team or something

Attached: artix-logo.png (256x256, 40K)

same poster; but it was a problem on stretch too (debian 9.5)

so I'm trying to establish a connection with tor on manjaro and I keep getting this error:

>[WARN] Received NETINFO cell with skewed time (OR:numbers :P): It seems that our clock is behind by 7 hours, 0 minutes, or that theirs is ahead. Tor requires an accurate clock to work: please check your time, timezone, and date settings.

I tried >timedatectl status

and it says >Time zone: America/Los_Angeles (PDT, -0700)

maybe this is my problem? since it says I am 7 hours off maybe? how do I get rid of the -700

Attached: Tor_logo1.png (246x362, 63K)

steal her phone and copy its sd card, run a similar version of android on a virtual machine or a phone. If you want to sniff the password is gonna be encrypted, and I don't know about remote access. And if it's ios it's even harder. With an ios even if you steal it you would have to cold boot it. Give it up kiddo

kek even running xorg or wayland as root is not as bad as you might think

on another thread someone suggested
>sudo timedatectl set-ntp true

and it didn't work at first but after a few tries it's working!! well there went my saturday afternoon

I always doubt when people say shit like that. I mean, I've used Windows all my life, I know what danger is.

That's solid advice for the people who are dumb enough to need askubuntu in the first place.

hello woke computer children i installed xubuntu and it looks great and everything runs fine
except my stupid netgear wifi dongly thingy doesn't work (wnda3100 v3), can't fix it, apparently netgear is fucking gay and notorious for their shitty products not working under linux
is there a solution for this or am i fucked and have to buy another fucking usb adapter

I'm using this right now. It's perfect.

Get better hardware.

user i suck dick at the bus stop for money this is not an option

>>only Lxqt or i3 are available
>>access to aur
That sounds like you are going to have a bitch of a time with dependancies ar some point

I use AskUbuntu all the time. Too bad I always leave with a headache.

>the fucking MSPaint Arch fat guy
He's definitely a Jow Forumsentooman.

A Raspberry Pi Zero is literally five dollars plus the price of a microSD card and contains a wifi chip guaranteed to work. You can fucking scrounge cans and bottles for that much money.

Have you looked for possible drivers on the internet?

glad it worked.

>well there went my saturday afternoon
Sometimes learning is faster than asking questions or running web searches. You should use the archwiki, 5 minutes reading this and you would have been able to fix it yourself.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_time

if i buy a pi then Jow Forums will call me gay
netgear does not provide linux drivers because they are gay chinks that suck big fat maoist cock

>if i buy a pi then Jow Forums will call me gay
Only faggots will, fuck them

Not even from a different source? Shiett...

No they won't. I ran an RPi as my primary desktop for a whole summer once because my apartment was miserably hot and my PC was a housefire in a can.

wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDA3100v3
i found some here but i have no idea how to install them as i am retarded and i figure i can't because i have no wifi under linux
the only shit i can find on this issue is some guy with a big bang theory sig telling people to use ndiswrapper which i also have no idea how to use
aaaaaaaa!!!!

There are pretty clear and easy instructions here but you need an internet connection

github.com/jurobystricky/Netgear-A6210

Ethernet cable, neegus.

yeah i'm at a dead end
i can get wifi just fine in a xubuntu vm running in windows although i'm guessing that's because it has to pass through windows to begin with
not an option compadre

Tether your fucking phone. Linux will see it as USB ethernet. Then just set TTL to 129 so you don't get throttled.

Try "rfkill", install it if you don't have it.
wifi adapters have off switches either in software or even hardware switches (like on laptops you can disable them with the fn keys)
rfkill allows you to force all those switches on.

Then also make sure the device is up.
>ifconfig -a
find the adapters name then bring it online with
>ifconfig wlan0 up
replace wlan0 with the actual name.

If you're still having problems you're going to have to be more specific about what's not working and what you're trying (are you using something like NetworkManager or wicd, etc.)

Is he right?

Not him but in some countries carriers block tethering on your phone.

That's why you mess with the TTL. Nobody but a literal retard buys a phone FROM their carrier.

Also this:

Nice Microsoft propaganda you got there, did he mentioned even Microsoft is shifting away from Windows to GNU/Linux in its cloud OS?

Attached: 1466298318925.png (1853x1000, 1.29M)

No, he's incorrect. Exactly 4 days ago I tried adjusting scrollspeed in Windows 10. Guess what? No such feature anymore. Windows is gravitating towards the Apple hivemind, and pretty fast as well. I hope they enjoy their virtual prisons.

So if I want to replace i3 with i3-gaps, how should I do that? I'm on Jewbuntu, and all the info online is for Arch.

Just autoremove i3 and git i3-gaps?

true lol. The danger could be that a web script ran a tool for collecting information, but I doubt how that would work out. I'd like to study that

stupid chink plan doesn't support tethering
i'm just punching commands into the xfce terminal, rfkill is installed and seemingly working, ifconfig isn't found and I apparently have to install net-tools which doesn't work (but is referred to by iproute2?)
the wifi adapter just isn't recognized and i'm not entirely sure what to do

How do I install windows 7 or 10 into a virtual machine on a laptop running debian?

I just want to run ms word, excel, and powerpoint (all 2016 versions) I literally do not care about anything else.
I already looked into WINE and it turns out these aren't supported/working.

I tried checking google too, but every fucking search result flips it around and tells me how to install a debian virtual machine in windows like microsoft is paying google to censor the results or some shit. It's aggravating.

Attached: w1 schoolDream2.png (816x624, 901K)

You first install gentoo

Alright, I got the Mint .iso, how do I make a bootable usb/sd card?

But what do you mean "isn't recognized"? What is telling you that?
You know GNU/Linux environments aren't the same across the board right?

And if you can't install packages then you need to either learn how or something is fucked on your system.

distrowatch.com/?newsid=10361

>Pardus has announced the release of Pardus 17.4, an updated build of the project's Debian-based distribution set for desktops and servers. Like the previous releases in the 17.x series, this one also comes in two desktop variants featuring either Xfce or the Deepin Desktop Environment (DDE)

Thoughts?

Attached: pardus.png (90x87, 3K)

What am I doing wrong?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 01.44.07.png (505x279, 19K)

premissions problem?

Nope, same error

for anyone using arch/manjaro how hard is it to get .rpm based software to work reliably? with the ability to cleanly uninstall?

Is Fedora's package manager that bad? I'm sick and tired of rolling distros and this seems like a good way to stay up to date without always having to update. I just know I'll miss pacman

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 2.30.22 AM.png (860x1296, 859K)

What size do you guys usually allocate your root partition with? If you're installing a lot of programs or possibly games, is 30gb about right?

I'm still new to GNU/Linux and planning on installing on a fresh SSD.

Anyone use slstatus?
How do u start it
Do u put it in the xinitrc

I'd say 20-30 GB's

I've never actually run out of room with this size, but 20GB's did feel uncomfortably close (5-9GB's of space) to doing it.

What about upgrading on a yearly basis ?

If your games are on Steam or just 3rd party downloads then it's usually easiest to just put them in $HOME (that's where Steam saves all its games anyway).
The only reason you'd ever really have games installed anywhere else is if they came from your package manager.