Why can't Jow Forums into Rust?

Why can't Jow Forums into Rust?
It has just as good performance as C but is 1000 times easier to write and it's practically impossible to seg fault.

Attached: file.png (960x540, 610K)

It's atrocious to write.

It's supposed to be a systems programming language but people who program systems don't need this retarded borrow checker anti-fuckup mechanics.
And people who need those don't do systems programming.

Why does this language even exist.

You say that but last year the Linux kernel had 20+ security bugs related to memory management which would have never occured in Rust.

Sure they do. "System programmers" are arrogant retards. There are literally thousands of undiscovered zero days in most of this low level software wrriten in c.

Ada is better, dumb SJW faggot.

will unironically cucking myself to the Rust compiler (pleasing the borrow checker, lifetimes, etc) make me a better c++ programmer?

No, it will just make you more of a cuck.

I'm not sure why Jow Forums hates Rust, it's one of the few languages I'm excited for, honestly.

so no downsides then

No, but it will make you better than a C++ programmer

>It's supposed to be a systems programming language but people who program systems don't need this retarded borrow checker anti-fuckup mechanics.

Meanwhile the Linux Kernel is full of security exploits and It's not uncommon for Windows users to run into memory leaks in older versions.

If it's related to the low level memory management, it was an issue for executables, not languages.

For the millionth time, this

I use Rust and I don't even do "Systems programming".

Because the community is cancer, the developers are cancer, the syntax is cancer, the safety focus is a lie due to webshit infestation, and the whole language is a product of NIH syndrome. Oh, and I suppose there are a bunch of retards here who still worship C as well even though it has been deprecated for decades.

It runs decently fast and is pretty safe. I don't see a problem with it. It's nice. Honestly, Rust looks great. I normally fuck with Python and C, but I'm really looking forward to Rust.

but Ada has GC.

Your post reeks of onions. I doubt you have any idea of comparative speed or any safety issues, etc.

I like Rust and have written quite a bit of it, but the compile times are abysmal. There's a huge project written in C I've been contributing to and it compiles so fast that Im considering just dropping Rust.

No it fucking doesn't. Get your bullshit FUD outta here.

lets be honest here all this langauges look stupid as fuck, we use spaces, new line comas and dots on normal day writing but when coding we have to use all those stupid symbols?
Lets just mage a plain and simple language get rids of all those (}}(())||||*!!@#$ and use some thing humans can read even if it takes some lines more to express i don't care bugs will just disappear the moment you stop needing to comment every 200 lines just so your boss wife can understand whats happening.

They do. It's pretty much confirmed C programmers have no fucking idea what they are doing.

>wants to use AND OR XOR SHIFT and shit instead of simple symbols that are universally accepted

Sounds like you should check out Ada. One of the design principles was to make code easier for maintainers to read by getting rid of linenoise syntax.

here you go, anons. enjoy!

Attached: 4u.jpg (400x360, 52K)

People who give a shit about security write a code in a style that Rust doesn't complain about. And the people who don't should think again. Getting used to Rust just makes you a better programmer in general by unlearning harmful anti-patterns, regardless of the language you're going to use in the future.

>universally accepted
No.

>yfw there's no universal convention for equality checking

no boy i want it even more verbose

Ada still looks like a programing language
i imagine it more like a poem or prosa, so verbose and simple that you would mix it with a tolkien book speaking about elf runes

t. web dev

Check out fim++.
Dear Princess Celestia: Hello World!

Today I learned something simple.
I said “Hello, World!”!
That's all about something simple!

Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.

christ

Attached: 1528599950280.png (250x250, 92K)

Sure there is. It is the binary infix operator '='. Unfortunately a lot of languages are not compliant with the standard, with javascript being perhaps the worst offender.

Dear Princess Celestia: Letter One

Today I learned how to sing Applejack's Drinking Song.

I learned Applejack's Drinking Song with Applejack.

Did you know that Applejack likes the number 99?

I did this while Applejack had more than 1.
I sang " 'Applejack' jugs of cider on the wall, 'Applejack' jugs of cider,"
Applejack got one less.

When Applejack had more than 1,
I sang "Take one down and pass it around, 'Applejack' jugs of cider on the wall."
In the end, I did this instead.
I sang "Take one down and pass it around, 1 jug of cider on the wall.
1 jug of cider on the wall, 1 jug of cider.
Take one down and pass it around, no more jugs of cider on the wall."
That's what I did.

In the end, I did this instead.
I sang "No more jugs of cider on the wall, no more jugs of cider.
Go to the store and buy some more, 99 jugs of cider on the wall."
That's what I did.

That's about Applejack's Drinking Song with Applejack!

Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.

>fim++.

i-i-is thsi f-f-urry related?

Attached: 2018-11-04-04:37:22_1366x779_scrot.png (1366x779, 243K)

People keep talking about safety when it comes to rust. Be specific: what makes it safe?
also, is it possible to follow RAII in a language without constructors/deconstructors? For example, say you use C with structs.

>is it possible to follow RAII in a language without constructors and destructors
Yes. However the lack of language support will make it error prone and most libraries will have to be wrapped or rewritten. Not worth it except for pedagogical purposes.

Uma delicia...

>practically impossible to seg fault
kek
Firefox's been segfaulting 10 times as often since it's been rusted.

I've never seen firefox seg fault in my years and years of using it ever.

>1000 times easier to write
I'm currently learning Rust and you're wrong, I had a much easier time to write and read C when I was learning it

So Pascal?

Crashing is not seg faulting C-tard.

Its hard to impossible to write a lengthy C program correctly (as in complete and safe). There are just too many live wires you have to be aware of, but will never know about until the house burns down.

Literally just use visual basic

this is somehow less easy to understand than normal syntax...

is Ada as performant? as someone who writes cryptocurrency software i can pretty much be language agnostic w/ c++, c, rust, go, ada etc.
not really limited by any specific libs or anything. so far rust is pretty comfy tho

why do you need RAII if the variable is automatically dropped the moment it goes out of scope...
to answer your question tho, you can .
just implement the `drop` trait and you can drop values before they go out of scope if need be.

>Rust
>easier to write
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

>For example, say you use C with structs.
your brain is rusty

Ada, C, C++, Fortran, Rust are all as performant as each other. (Rust compilation speed is notoriously slow however, as is C++ if extensive template metaprogramming is used.) Any differences you see in language benchmarks are minor and are due to code algorithm differences and whether any safety checks have been disabled. For crypto stuff, what's probably more important to you is being able to prove that your code is correct, which is something Ada excels at with the SPARK dialect. Consider libsparkcrypto as an example.

fuck that. C++ is time consuming enough to get good at and there is a much larger market with it

writing a program that compiles is much harder in Rust than C, but writing a program that works is much easier in Rust than C

Do you think C will ever get proper closure/lambda function support? That's honestly one of the big things that attracts me to Rust.

this. you're basically "upfronting" the time spent debugging your c++ programs

lel...this horseshit is what Rustfags actually believe.

No. It's too scary for c-niles.

Functional programming is a meme.

>lambdas and closures
>functional programming

I mean I get why you might think they are strictly for functional programming styles, but you're wrong.

Attached: cat2.jpg (572x621, 104K)

Prove him wrong.

how is lambdas just for functional programming? i use that shit all the time as callback function

>callbacks
You use function pointers/accesses/references for that. Although the question then becomes if C will ever get sane function pointer syntax, so...

It's a lot easier to declare a lambda function and keep the functionality right where it's relevant.

Also that still doens't address closures which isn't a functional programming only feature yet is pretty annoying to do in C with horrible hacks.

But it's true

I am not sure which fandom is the most annoying, Go, C (no pluses) or Rust.

Attached: gofag fighting rustfag.png (868x251, 67K)

firefox is not nearly 100% rust and won't be for a long time you absolute brainlet

>requires first class functions
>not a functional programming feature
ok kid

Go by far.

You know you're reading bullshit when someone uses "performant" as a word

This desu, Ada is unironically superior.

Rust is safe for safe spaces

I think the code of conduct forbids me from making anything in Rust

HN in general.

Code of conduct only applies to people making direct contributions to the language. You could use Rust to make software for fighter drones as a US military contractor for Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen and Rust wouldn't be able to do anything. Overall their CoC isn't very political anyways, it's just "don't be an ass" which is nowhere near as bad as CoC or licenses that explicitly say "you can't work with company X because they love Trump"

>SJWs
>CoC
>lol unsafe keyword
>HolyC

another Rust thread ruined by NEETs, if you wanto have any real discussion go to reddit or discord

Attached: 1541211203588.png (1267x785, 99K)