320 x 240 pixels (2.8" Diagonal)

>320 x 240 pixels (2.8" Diagonal)
>3.0 MB flash rom memory for data archive and storage of apps
>154KB of available Ram memory

Can anyone tell me why the FUCK this piece of shit is being peddled for $150? And to every student in the country no less—this has got to be the biggest racket in (((education))) right now.

I remember they were expensive when I was a younger student, but memory wasn't as cheap back then (and I didn't know anything) so I figured what the hell. But I learned that you can program the newer CE models in C (and Z80 assembly) so I thought I'd pick one up for like $30 for shits and grins and maybe install Gentoo on it or some shit. Then I saw the price. Fuck that. TI are even bigger jews than Intel and I'm super upset.

Attached: PoS.jpg (708x1500, 177K)

Other urls found in this thread:

Jow
youtube.com/watch?v=zoGl8-Wc-L0
youtube.com/watch?v=EuU9gXb0XJM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yep its been this way for ~15 years

I took Algebra II in 1997 and my TI-85 was around $100. Nowadays I just use the emulator available on F-Droid.

can't take standardized tests w/ a phone

i dont think you can install unix in those calculators

Are you just figuring this shit out? I thought every smart kid thought about getting one when being 12, the saw the price tag and gave up

fuck would i need a graphing calculator i had an actual computer

>In the year of our Lord Jesus Christ 2018
>using a graphing calculator period

Anyone dumb enough to buy one is dumb enough to pay $150

Attached: calculator +.jpg (1738x759, 407K)

I don't remember the name but there was a documentary about how TI managed to look this into schools. Basically, lots of bribes and trips for teachers and admins.

Basically this. Ti calcs have to be gimped by design to meet the specs of standardized tests. It's a mix of design-by-committee bullshit and old legislation. OP, you'd be best served by downloading the sdk from ti and just fucking about with an emulated calculator instead of dropping serious cash for crapulator.

except going through the American school system you're essentially forced to buy one

/sci/ literally links to it on their recs
>Jow Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_material#Calculators
>youtube.com/watch?v=zoGl8-Wc-L0

jesus, that's big pharma-level shit right there.

Then again, it doesn't surprise me. Who isn't doing something shady these days? It's the new norm.

can't lug around your desktop all day bro

Did middle and high school in the 2000s and never needed a graphing calculator for graphing anything. Every teacher in school and college recommended against getting them. Every kid that had them got them from an older sibling, cousin, or relatives of friends. And most exams banned their usages (unless the professor knew you and figured you wouldn't cheat).

1. laptop
2. why would I need to? You're telling me you bought a GC and carried it with you 24/7?

Inflation bro

Is there anything proprietary about these? Shouldn't some chinks be able to make something with exactly the same specs and sell it for $5 or $10?

Oh come on. Who carried around a laptop in high school, if you even had one?

Maybe? You would need a calculator anyways in school

The software

>Is there anything proprietary about these
Pretty much everything
>Shouldn't some chinks be able to make something with exactly the same specs and sell it for $5 or $10?
Not enough mass appeal to make it worth it. And chinks can't into math

on the ti-84 plus the batteries are connected to the motherboard in a way that literally pokes a hole through the pads overtime breaking the calculator.... I opened my broken one up and sure enough, the pads had been worn through by a literal needle that just rested on it.

FUCKING I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SHIT

12 years old isn't highschool and idk wtf you're talking about. see who I was originally replying to:

>TI
>youtube.com/watch?v=EuU9gXb0XJM
>Sometimes in school you see someone with a Casio and they always regretted getting it. I mean what are you doing if you're in school and you have a Casio. At least once every class the teacher would have to stop everything and figure out whatever the Casio equivalent of his instructions were. Nothing against Casio but you were holding up the class.

Do american math classes literally just tell you what buttons to press on a calculator to get the right answer without explaining why those buttons are being pressed and what they are doing (so the knowledge can't be transfer to different calculators)?

Attached: CC.png (1258x561, 47K)

i meant

cringe and blue-pilled

no but the teachers only know how to use one calculator (and american teachers aren't very smart)

consider yourself lucky

i had none of that shit in color and paid $180 for it

stfu noob and deal with it

If woman had fewer rights we'd have more skilled female teachers for k-12, Warren Buffett said this. Can you imagine literal high IQ females being oppressed and giving people a fighting chance at a good education?!

based and redpilled

useless post, kys brainlet

Attached: 1512339941909.jpg (583x435, 56K)

uh yeah neither did I

>12 years old isn't highschool
it is where I live
>idk wtf you're talking about
I'm talking about wanting to get a graphical calc to run programs without having to carry around a laptop (which were huge anyways back then) but finding out programmable calculators were too expensive

>it is where I live
you're lying. say where
>get a graphical calc to run programs without having to carry around a laptop
ok. so you're telling me you needed to be running programs on the go 24/7? I don't even know what programs you'd need to be running on the fly in a school context. even basic calculators were overkill or useless 95% of the time anyway

octave can do everything my TI 84 plus CE can do. I got memed into buying one a few years ago because my calculus teacher said I couldn't use my ti 83 that was given to me for free. I later learned that we never used any of the additional functionality of the 84 and wasted $120. There's no reason to pay for a new TI if you can just use the same one your uncle used in 2004

go read some more anime weeabo faggot

the real price is $5

Attached: wantTHIS.jpg (1416x1424, 464K)

I always preferred HP calculators over TI, they're much more powerful
apparently TI is very popular in america

look what website you're posting on you fucking moron

Probably the same reason books at college cost a shit fuckton. You are required to have them.

The only allowed calculators in my math classes for tests were TI calculators.

They also try to wipe your calculator for finals but you can load a program that only pretends to wipe the memory.

>he doesn’t use RPN
You’re never going to make it.

Attached: 4621ECF6-5EBD-4877-A3E7-B93D4A8FF7DE.jpg (440x293, 39K)

Here’s a GPL’d calculator made in Switzerland of the highest quality materials, steel case with gorilla glass, which also has USB for easy program transfer and an IR transmitter so you can use a wireless printer. It’s actually a massively enhanced clone of the classic best ever scientific calculator, the HP 42s.

Attached: 351C8049-7C39-4183-AD63-4BB2090D166B.jpg (1280x1024, 1.12M)

lmaoing at you, we fucking used Geogebra to do this kind of shit.

>$230
thanks but no thanks

This is dodgy as fuck, but luckily a dab of solder fixes it.

>Here’s a GPL’d calculator
Fuck no.
>made in Switzerland