/spg/ Smartphone General

Xiaomi Mi 8 SE Edition v2
>because it's glorious

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Attached: Xiaomi-Mi-8-SE-5-88-Inch-6GB-64GB-Smartphone-Dark-Gray-662651-.jpg (1000x1000, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/ios-12-on-the-iphone-5s-iphone-6-plus-and-ipad-mini-2-its-actually-faster/
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-lg-g7-thinq
geizhals.eu/?fs=XZ1 Compact
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is Oneplus reliable or do they explode like the other chink brands?

1+ is very reliable. Exploding chinkphones are a meme. In the end they are manufactured in the same factories as the big brand's phones.

key2 arriving tomorrow. hesitated with the key1 since the keyboard was so tiny, but they fixed that now. who else /BLACKEDberry/ here?

Attached: key2.jpg (3328x1698, 651K)

Redpill me on the Nubia Z17 Mini.

Impossible. You buy mi8 se instead.

A phone without a headphone jack is a phone for soifags.

Who is the Mi 8 Lite for? It seems like it's in an awkward position among Xiaomi's catalog.

Xperia XZs worth considering these days?

Mi A2 or Redmi Note 5?

I tried the XZ2c at best buy and was surprised how nice it felt.

Such a shame about no jack or side-mounted fingerprint sensor

Attached: 1520201245255.jpg (728x454, 54K)

Redmi Note 5 of course. I don't know what they were thinking with the Mi A2 - no micro SD card slot, no 3.5mm jack and 1000 mAh less.

iPhone XS
Get a fucking job

Android One tax since Xiaomi can't sneak their ads on it.

Had it for 5 months. No complaints at all but it was just too small after a while.

Not sure what the point of it is when almost all of their devices are developer friendly.

Sony XZ1 or Zenfone 5z for upgrade from redmi note 5? Need a upgrade on hardware quality mostly.

No

I'm looking for a smartphone that can be used on Verizon, is waterproof/water-resistant, has usb-c, and most importantly that it doesn't have a notch.
I'm stuck on Verizon, but honestly, they have better coverage in my area than AT&T when I was on their carrier.

Do chinaman phones actually spy on you? can i trust it with mobile banking?

>Do chinaman phones actually spy on you? can i trust it with mobile banking?
Don't trust anyone, use an AOSP based custom ROM and Magisk Hide if their software requires the workaround.

what's the ETA on a true bezel-less phone with fingerprint below screen or on the side?
I was thinking about getting this but the phone doesn't look nearly as good as the renderings.

Attached: mi-mix-3-2.jpg (1600x800, 130K)

Always the problem with Xiaomi phones. They're not on display in most countries to touch and see for yourself.

OK, OK. I've just pulled the trigger on it.

Nokia 8 worth considering?

Is the Poco worth the extra cash in comparison to the Mi A2 Lite? I mainly need good battery and a good camera. The Mi A2 has kinda better battery but a piss-poor low-light camera for about €100 less

Quick question. My dad wants to get a xiaomi, either a Redmi Note 5 or a Mi A2 because it's what fits his budget, also I know it could be a stupid question but are either of those phones treated as usb devices where you can simply drag and drop music into the phone from the PC when you connect them via USB? This is a vital feature for him since he fucking hates the way his old iphone does it.

it has more QC issues than all chinkphones combined, and servicing it post-warranty is almost impossible without damaging the phone. it would be a good buy, for $200.

Well that's wonderful news.
What phone can I even get that has bands 3, 7 and 20, has NFC, a passable camera and a headphone jack and performance better than my current redmi 4 prime?

i have a priv. once you go black, you wont go back. never had a phone with a keyboard and come to find out touch keyboards blow ass and button shortcuts will always be more responsive and faster than fullscreen gestures

the benefit is really in the fact that buttons let you interact with your device without being forced to only use visual/spatial nagivation where you have to discern a bunch of high visual clutter design to navigate. press butan, get thing.

i mean, really, it feels like a smartphone from a parallel universe where apple never made the iphone. it's good.

Attached: blackberry-key-one-13.jpg (1600x1068, 366K)

fingerprint sensors are exceptionally sketchy as a method of cryptographic authentication and i will never use them

the benefit of a quick device unlock is really snazzy but the 200ms it takes you to type in a password is not really much of a time saver, let alone a benefit that requires an entire embedded cyptographic authentication platform on every device that is easily fooled by a multitude of non-digital tricks

like people are all about 'i need to use my phone less' but will simultaneously argue that they need their fingerprint sensor because the time saving benefit of a quick unlock has saved almost 30 seconds of usage time in the last year of owning their phone and the most warranted use case for shaving those miliseconds off is to quickly get to the camera and theres like three quick shortcuts for that that all circumvent the lockscreen

Compare Gcam results of both and decide.

Pixel 3 XL or note 9?

XZ1 still good?

is Galaxy S7 a good phone to buy right now?
I just want something relatively small with a camera as good as possible, a headphone jack, preferably water resistant and with a good screen. Don't care much about anything else

Get the Redmi Note 5, it's got expandable storage so you can just put all the music on a MicroSD, they make adapters that allow you to plug a MicroSD card into a pc as if it was a USB drive. And there's also a headphone jack which the Mi A2 doesn't have.

To answer your question, when you plug an Android phone to a Windows PC it uses MTP, which is basically same thing as an USB storage and allows you to drag and drop files.

Thanks, looks like it's gonna be the Note 5

>do they explode like other chink brands
Samsung is Korean

are chinkphone dual cameras really fake? I know xiaomi and huawei are good, I'm asking about brands like Vernee, Meizu, Oukitel

I've got a Key2 LE...really wish I went for the standard version because lack of capacitive keys really makes a difference.

Still a good phone. Getting used to my keypress shortcuts took some getting used to, but overall am happy w/ the experience.

Camera is lacking if that's something you're worried about, but it's not much worse than any midranger you'd find.

Zenfone

Galaxy S8/S9, Note8/9, Pixel 2/2 XL, Pixel 3/3 XL, LG G6/V30/V35, Sony XZ2 Compact, Moto X4, Razer Phone 2

Yes

I haven't looked, but can you get Android Pie on it?
If not, no, it's insecure and you shouldn't buy it. If yes, it's probably a decent buy if you get it at an appropriately low price.

Redpill me on the mi mix 2s. Is it actually worth it? What are the pros and cons from someone who actually owns it?

the screen is nice, but it's no OLED
selfie camera can be annoying since some apps won't flip if you flip the camera
miui v10.0.4.0 has fixed notifications
camera is nice, AI mode just adds quite a bit of saturation

Attached: IMG_20181029_134817.jpg (3648x2732, 3.22M)

Is there any other phone that's as good/better at the same price point?

What QC issues? Got mine for 340 a few months ago and no issues

>custom ROM
don't you have to trust some random indian guy on xda though?

I think there's something wrong with the camera, it made the buildings look all blocky and pixelated [spoiler]/jk[/spoiler]

google nokia 8 microphone, lagging, screen artifacts, or just browse xda threads. the phone is held together by hot glue so replacing faulty parts is not possible, even if you take it to service they'll either replace everything but the screen (if it's intact) or just give you a new phone. it's a joke.
>few months
report back after a year

>Is there any other phone that's as good/better at the same price point?
Mi 8 perhaps.
>custom ROM
>don't you have to trust some random indian guy on xda though?
Please educate yourself on this. And even the name tells you - AOSP (Android Open Source Project). All custom ROMs are open source, meaning everything can be examined (which it is before updates) and be compiled on your own machine as well. There's no blind trust there.

Is there any real difference between the 5T and the 6 other than the notch?

I just bought a LG G7, what am I in for?

Attached: 1536018366337.jpg (1744x1446, 162K)

Bootloops

They're supposedly better than the older G series phones, but have a cheap backup phone laying around just in case. LG soiled their reputation over the past few years.

I just bought an iphone se on ebay. It appears to have ios 11 on it with an option to upgrade to 12. Should I do this? I know the phone is a few years old at this point I don't want to slow it down or cause any other problems.

Attached: download.jpg (243x207, 10K)

Better performance and cameras on the OP6.

Had a KeyOne as a daily phone well over a year. Then I switched to iPhone 8+ and as bad as it feels to admit it, I'm not going back to physical keyboard.

What's a good sub 300€ phone that's small (Xperia compact size or not much larger)?
Most of the phones I see are 5.5" or larger, fuck that.
I'm not looking at iPhones.

12 is better than 11, but not better than 10

Update it to the newest version, unless you're planning to jailbreak it. Apple did a lot of work to get iOS 12 to run faster, especially on older devices:
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/ios-12-on-the-iphone-5s-iphone-6-plus-and-ipad-mini-2-its-actually-faster/

My privs battery shit the bed randomly one day.

I'm not sure what to do about it, I'm back on my busted up G4 for now.

>I know the phone is a few years old at this point
You can't even watch HD content on it, that's how "old" it is.

Mi Mix 3, Magic 2, Z5 Pro or 6T?

Attached: lenovo-z5-pro-vs-honor-magic-2-vs-mi-mix-3.jpg (810x460, 57K)

By anything noticeable when you actually have it in your hand?

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-lg-g7-thinq

Thinking of upgrading my lg g5 to a g7

564 ppi screen and cool camera for 400 euros

What do you think ? Will people watch my cringy videos on the subway if they're colorful enough ?

Attached: file.png (1012x801, 148K)

Mix 3.

yeah but it's tiny

You won't find one for that price unless you get a used xperia compact. Might be able to find a new z5 compact for that price, but good luck w/ that.

Pretty much every phone in that price and size bracket is going to be severely underpowered, assuming you're looking for a sub-5" display.

Bump it up to 5-5.2" and you have a lot more options

OnePlus 5T has an aluminium back, OP6 is glass

XZ2 Compact or Pocomeme?

I like having the physical camera button and I think Sony is the only brand who still has them.

What would be the best options at 5 inches?

For 300€ I'm really torn between the Pocophone and Honor Play
Poco has the 845 but I'm worried that it being Xiaomi will be an issue for me living in Germany, are there any major lte bands missing compared to other phones?
And I've heard about an issue with the digitizer making the phone lag, is this a big issue and/or is it fixed?

Attached: AAAAA_Cat.jpg (564x564, 69K)

XZ1 Compact sells for 299€ new here, and it was on sale for 199€ at one retailer recently. I'm sure you can find it at similar prices in other European countries:
geizhals.eu/?fs=XZ1 Compact

Die globale Version hat alle für uns relevanten LTE Bänder.
Xiaomi fasst immer weiter Fuß bei uns, kannst die Dinger ruhigen Gewissens kaufen.

>For 300€ I'm really torn between the Pocophone and Honor Play
Poco easily, Kirin 970 just can't compete with SD845.

>I'm worried that it being Xiaomi will be an issue for me living in Germany
If you buy it locally in Germany then you'll have a proper 2 year warranty and local support

>are there any major lte bands missing compared to other phones?
It has all the major bands for Europe. The bands it is missing are mainly used in the Americas.

>And I've heard about an issue with the digitizer making the phone lag, is this a big issue and/or is it fixed?
That's the touch latency issue. The touch display doesn't react to touch as fast on the side edges of the display as it does on elsewhere. Xiaomi have said they're looking in to fixing the issue, but if it's a hardware issue it could be unfixable.

Check the reviews and photo samples. If the camera is fake, the portrait mode photos will be entirely blurred with a clear non-blurred circular area in the middle as opposed to the subject being in focus and the background blurred when both cameras are properly used.
Seconding Mix. If you're gonna sacrifice the headphone jack, you might as well have a cool looking gimmick
I'd get the Sony, particularly if you prefer smaller phones
Network won't be an issue, it's a global model and has all the bands you need. Don't know how bad is the touch screen issue, I don't own one but there are anons here that do so somebody else might answer that.

I'm gonna buy an Xperia XZ1, try to stop me.

Pricing aside, is there a better Android One phone than the Pixel 3? It's new phone time, my second proper smartphone, and my first couple of years of dealing with Androids fractured ecosystem has made me really appreciate wanting a vanilla, rootable phone without having to fuck with flashing it constantly.

Should i get a S8 right now? Or should i go for the pocophone on the same price point.

Attached: file.png (810x590, 216K)

Cool and good. Any idea when it's coming out in Europe? Or should I get it from China?

>curved screen
Yikes!

We just got K2 LE at work. The kb is nice but android isn't BB and the integration leaves a lot to be desired.

If you value custom ROMs, performance and battery life Poco, otherwise the S8 is a better choice.
I think I've read somewhere it will be available in Europe by the beginning of next year, but I think the china version already has all the bands used here.

If the battery is fine there should be no problems.

can i asx about tablets here? looking for a good tablet for manga mainly, so im trying to find a screen ratio of

1:√2 > 4:3 = 16:10 > 16:9

i know 4:3 is technically better than 16:10 but the video would be garbage, and 1:√2 would be perfect so im willing to overlook it.

Im looking at the mi pad 4 right now because its pretty cheap, but honestly even an ereader might be good i think (i think?). current screen is 6.5" so im trying to get something thats bigger (8" narrow minimum)

Teclast M89

This. Once you're using a non-shit screen keyboard on a decent phone the physical keyboard becomes redundant in most cases and you will love the added screen real estate for everything else. I went from being a blackberry purist to just looking for the biggest and best screen and i haven't been disappointed since.

Can anyone recommend a good case for the XZ2?

t. butterfingers

Attached: Mokoemi-Fashion-Lichee-Pattern-Shock-Proof-Soft-5-7-For-Sony-Xperia-XZ2-Case-For-Sony.jpg (800x800, 83K)

Looking for the best phone under 500$ with jack and without notch. Preferably with dual sim. Should i go for Galaxy S8 or Meizu 16?

scotland?

kawaii as fuck

Attached: infobar-series.png (750x563, 279K)

Should I get a new phone and carrier (StraightTalk) now, or should I keep Verizon and gUDP and wait for 5g to be rolled out?

Attached: Verizon-vs-Straight-Talk-Comparison-1.jpg (700x700, 37K)

im looking for a phone for around $500 to replace my nexus 6p

i honestly just want the closest thing to an upgraded 6p with a headphone jack

no mediatek pls

You might be using Verizons network with Straight Talk anyways.

I have a chance to grab a new (other) Pixel 2 XL for $450. It seems that QC in general is better than the 3rd gen but I keep reading reports about the display lottery. How prevalent is the issue? Does anyone in /spg/ own one?

Why does the SoC matter if it's just for reading manga?

Honor V10 any good?

custom rom support. i care about muh freedoms

Huaweis would be such good phones if they didn't have absolutely atrocious LTE coverage.

poco for pure raw performance, if you want actually a well built smartphone with good looks go for samsung. But keep in mind, it won't last for a long as it has low ram.