>but muh fax machines

>Japan's NTT Docomo was the first to turn off 2G in 2011. The other Japanese players quickly followed the market leader.

GSM is literally ancient shit using narrow-band audio codecs from the late 80s for speech that make you sound like you sit in a enclosed barrel. EDGE is a slow-ass high-latency excuse for an internet connection. What's your shithole's excuse for still keeping it around?

Attached: flag.jpg (740x315, 42K)

anonyminity

Reliability

The gaming republic from which we stand on, so help us God

Attached: 9C55D0A4-F060-4F40-ADC1-2490ADE303FA.jpg (499x547, 78K)

Reliability. If you're in a place without 4G, you most likely have EDGE.

Oxymoron.
t. brainlet

Nobody even sells 2G equipment anymore, so the carriers have to buy and tear down already broken hardware to fix theirs.

We're turning off 3G at the end of this year, 4G LTE+ up to 4CA, with 5G rolling out next year.

I was finally forced to go in and swap my 3G sim for 4G a little while ago.

4G can be deployed on the same frequencies occupied by 2G, not an argument.

3G and 4G signal is very weak in my area
in the city 20km away from here perfect 4G signal
until 4G has 100% coverage older signals will stay

Boomers. When they're all rounded up and shot we'll have LTE/5G.

Compatibility

>muh dumbphone from the early 2000s must be supported

Attached: 1536358437726.jpg (800x668, 52K)

>only phones and fax machines use GSM
This is a technology board. Leave.

M2M fags should stop holding everyone back and get with the times

>What's your shithole's excuse for still keeping it around?
money

In India they are turning off 3G, but 2G remains as there are way too many older dumbphones that use it for calling

calm your manboobs faggot. being disrespectful toward ancient tech just shows your illiteracy. now get your cumcrusted ass off this venerable board back to /ptg/

>What's your shithole's excuse for still keeping it around?
An FCC chairman who just can’t stop sucking corporate dicks.

>He thinks the corporate dicksucking move is keeping around an old technology for compatibilities sake instead of forcing everyone onto 5G, requiring new phones for everyone.

Doesn't 2G have much better range?

No, but it's everywhere.

2G penetrates wall you much better, 3G will get shut down before 2g, sometimes you need a low bandwidth high coverage network.

Germany here.

Basically because its Newland

>2G penetrates wall you much better
Tech illiterate retard.

I had to dumb it down for autists like you

Back to the shitting street, rajeesh

Wut?

Not an issue related to 2G/3G. When those get shut down, the cell service providers will simply transition those towers over to 4G so as to not hurt their coverage.

Range and wall penetration are entirely frequency dependent. So long as whatever G standard offers lower bit rates for use as signal strength drops, you won't notice a difference. There's nothing keeping you from running 2G at 60 GHz and having all the coverage issues of high band 5G, or running 5G at 200 MHz and allowing ridiculous coverage at the cost of needing a decent size antenna that can't be hidden away inside your phone.

Installed base of devices such as elevators, alarms etc.

A promise was made. Now the telecom companies have to live up to that. If they don't they risk nobody trusting them over the next round of IoT devices they believe will make them stinking rich.

Depends on the frequency but in genertal the answer is yes. 2G at 900 MHz has ranges measured in km, 5G at 2+ GHz has a range measured in 100s of meters while the 80 GHz band has a very short range.

Verizons 2G is pretty much all shut down.

AT&T and T-Mobile by the end of 2019.

>2G
>*sip*
>Now that was a network you could rely on

Attached: bb3b8bdd101a19d72c8a67e16a73c3881df81bdfr1-380-349v2_00.jpg (380x349, 25K)

>A promise was made.
What promise? Do you have a written contract that they provide 2G for how long?

For me it is range because where 4G or 3G doesn't work 2G always works no matter what and battery life for smartphone, if I am not using mobile data then the constant shifts between good and bad signal zones drain my battery to a significant extent.

Not a written contract, that is not even needed. It was sold in as a lasting standard and uses such as in devices were encouraged since they expected a lot of traffic from this. Later they added clauses such as certain subscriptions not being allowed for devices but by that time the installed base was huge.

Sure, they could weasel out by saying that policy was not official, that their salesmen were not following the company line, etc etc but that would not help. This is about credibility as a partner not the finer parts of the law and the telecom companies have realised this.

>people should have to constantly buy new products to keep them working years down the line

so your carrier can throttle you on it after you pass 2GB on your """unlimited""" plan

If you weren't a city dweller you'd understand.

dirtcheap modem chips for embedded devices

t. corpo r&d dev

They are replacing 2G with CAT-M1 and NB-IoT, both of which will work a lot better for m2m use cases.

>the 99.999% of people who have devices compatible with newer standards should finance keeping legacy shit around for those five boomers who still use their nokia bricks

Switzerland reporting in.

>National carrier Swisscom still operates 2G.