I just downloaded android studio and I'm planning on making a first person pixelated dungeon crawler

I just downloaded android studio and I'm planning on making a first person pixelated dungeon crawler
I also have 0 (zero) knowledge of java (or any programming language, really)
I also procrastinate on everything

Tell me to give up

Attached: android-studio-logo.png (730x365, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

love2d.org
stabyourself.net/mari0/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

there are already games better than your is ever going to be. Just download one.

The real problem is that you're trying to make some söy soaked pixelated retro garbage.

give up

try a game engine instead
I recommend Godot

Your game will be shit, give up.

do it fgt

Pixel dungeon is an open source game on Android. I would start there.

You have a weird fetish

>Pixel Dungeon (and spin-oofs)

Use a simple, fast, and well designed 2d game engine.
>love2d.org
The community there is strong on the forum so they'll be able to help with with any problems that you'll have as a beginner. Game engine also supports all mobile and desktop platforms.

Pic related is made with this game engine.
>stabyourself.net/mari0/

Attached: mari0.png (800x448, 12K)

Go to and look up the /AGDG/ general. If you're interested in making actual games, rather make simple games to learn programming, you will find more info there. Gamedev is as much about art direction and game design as it is about programming.

Unity (and to some degree Unreal) a popular engine for people with little to no programming skills.
GameMaker is a game engine for people with no interest in learning programming to make 2d games.
Unreal (using blueprints) is a game engine for people with no interest in learning programming to make 3d games.
Godot is the only modern FOSS game engine that is gaining traction and seems to be the one that free software people are rallying behind.

I wouldn't look at other game engines. They have either very little support or are too genre specific and meant for tech illiterates (e.g., Adventure game studio, RPG maker and others).

t. have made a semi successful indie game

Gonna agree with this user. Don't do it OP. It'll be hard and you won't get anywhere and if you don't actually care about learning to program but only want to make games then using a game engine will make things far easier on you. Unity is a good place to start and something like game maker is also good. I've seen people who trained to be artists all their lives be able to make nifty stuff with it. I believe game maker is all 2D though so Unity is your best bet for a 3D game. Also, learn C# and none of that pseudo javascript that's being phased out of unity.
Unreal with blueprints might be good but I haven't tried it

>I also have 0 (zero) knowledge of java (or any programming language, really)
>I'm planning on making a first person pixelated dungeon crawler
Yeah well good luck with that, why don't you try making a MMORPG as your first game with no programming knowledge, you doofus?

Continuing on my post, here's some more thoughts:

I've recently been to game jam (in a city with 200k population) and I was the only developer there out of 20 or so who was not using Unity. I am not sure how locked down Unity is and what the disadvantages are, but consider the following:
1) Unity is most likely the most documented game engine
2) There's a lot of people who know Unity, so if you'll eventually need collaborators the pool of talent will be bigger
3) Corporations flock to technologies that are cheap and have wide adoption rate (see Java). Most gamedev jobs where I live are looking for either Unity developers or regular C/C++ devs to work with an internal engine.

Together with a game engine you'll need tools for art. I suggest:
Aseprite (not free but open source, $15 licence and seems to have a lot of support among indie devs)
Photoshop
Blender (for 3d modelling)

Consider buying a wacom tablet early when learning gamedev. A cheap one will cost $80 but will do wonders for the quality of your work.

Based and red-pilled. Love2D or sdl are the only good choices

>Love2D
use Godot

Godot is garbage. The performance alone is laughable.

>The performance alone is laughable.
Please elaborate, was thinking of switching to Godot on my next project.

What you are trying to do is impossible.
You must start by buying a java book and learning basic java.

No, it isn't. Stop being a fucking retard. Love2D is a joke.

>Love2D is a joke.
Explain

get Unity or GameMaker Studio. With java alone you'll spend a year working on engine/physics/lighting and all other shit that available of the bat with game engines

Give up

make it lewd and it will go smoothly

I'm considering getting a wacom. Can you say what purpose it would serve for game making and how it can increase quality?

Not that user but, get one of the real cheap knockoff wacom from aliexpress or similar. They're like $20. You can learn to do concept art in Krita or Photoshop if you don't value your money. You can probably also use it in Blender. Get involved with other local game devs if possible, there's such a broad range of knowledge involved in game dev that it helps to at least see how others do it. Watch devcasts too.