Worth the investment

>live in high density apartment complex
>power goes out
>UPS kicks on and keep my router & modem online
>comfy.jpg
>only wireless SSID broadcasting is mine, which reads "CNN = FAKE NEWS". Normally 50+ SSIDs
>power stays out for hours
>continue using the web as normal in the dark

Buy a UPS during Black Friday. They're not too expensive (~$100) and can last over an hour if you have low-watt essentials plugged in (router and modem).

There is nothing more comfy than still being connected to the internet on your laptop when the power goes out. Yes, you could have had similar with just smartphone + tether, but this was better.

Attached: 1540528625053.jpg (461x375, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

energytransition.org/2015/10/german-power-outage-only-once-every-four-years/
news.com.au/technology/environment/why-south-australias-blackouts-are-a-problem-for-us-all/news-story/bc3bbc8be17d80844bc05ab7f5760d56
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_power_outages
denver.cbslocal.com/tag/power-outage/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>There is nothing more comfy than still being connected to the internet on your laptop when the power goes out.

Living in a first world country with a proper power grid would be far comfier.

I'm in the Bay Area in CA. Shit happens. In this case, somebody drove into a telephone pole.

But my power doesn't go out.
Not once in the last 20 years I used my computer.
t. Germany

I'm a Brit who's lived in the US, France, and China.
The only place I've lived with power problems was the USA.

last power outage was 15+ years ago, excluding sheduled maintenence
t. swede

lol sounds about right. Thank you for reaffirming my belief our power grid is 3rd world tier.

but doesnt the UPS start screaming because no power?

Nah, at least not my model. It starts beeping every minute when it's about to run out of juice, which for me was 1.5 hours later.

I work in a hospital lab and all our machines use UPS. When we get a new machine, the manufacturer gives us a new UPS for it. The older ones are free for anyone who wants them. Right now i have 2 APC SMT1000. Its great not having to worry for brown outs and black outs. Which aren’t usually issues because i don’t live in a shithole third world country but is useful because sometimes we lose power for a full second when the utility company shuts down a plant after peak hours

My model screeches every 30 seconds. I have two of them. One for the PC and another for the router plus TV in the other room. A few weeks ago my centeal heating somehow overloaded and i had to go flip the breakers. But while i was figuring out what the fuck happened, those fucking UPS were screeching at max volume

>sometimes we lose power for a full second when the utility company shuts down a plant after peak hours
so you do live in a third world country

>Buy a nice UPS
>connect modem/router, desktop, monitor and NAS to it
>power never went out once in 3 years
I'm slightly disappointed.

t. center italy

Having a UPS is a good idea, but a lot of these consumer grade models are really only good for buying you some time so you can shut all of your power hungry stuff off gracefully. Also keep in mind the natural degradation of the battery; it will have to be replaced after a few years.

Attached: 1458616696577.png (396x396, 304K)

Pretty much every modern UPS allows you to mute the alarms

As fire hazardly as the wiring is in my house in Italy, the power has only been out for a few minutes total in the last 3 years I've lived here. (that wasn't caused by me blowing the single 25 amp breaker that feeds every circuit in the house)

You can still have damaging voltage fluctuations.

>smartphone + tether

this is what an intelligent human would do

you nigger

>be me
>Live in rural nowhere in US
>Power grid goes out occasionally
>Have large solar system plus battery backup
Feels good man

Attached: cigar.jpg (657x527, 36K)

why waste your mobile internet bandwidth or use its shit speeds?

I've found numerous UPS in dumpsters but never bother taking them. Batteries are either removed or will certainly need replacing. I almost kept a Dell rackmount one but after watching a video on it the thing sounds like a jet engine. It'd be nice to have but the power rarely cuts here anyway, maybe like 1-2 times a year, so not really worth bothering with.

>waste your mobile internet bandwidth
do they still have data caps in the third world?

I've never experienced a power outage in my life (Netherlands). Saves me from having to buy an UPS in the first place.

This, last time out power went out was in 1940 and not our fault.

Do you faggots have blackouts?

jesus christ i live in third world country yet i have yet to experience blackout except the scheduled maintenance that last for 5 seconds. even a fucking storm we still have power

Yall europeens don’t have hurricanes either. Funny how that works out.

People can't drive and tends to hit power lines, lightning strikes a transformer sometimes knocking the power out. These are the only circumstances where I've experienced a power outage.

>Buy a UPS during Black Friday
SSSSHHHHHHIIIIIIIILLLLLL

see I've had this UPS for 2 years and this was the first time it was needed for an extended period.

The reviews online claim only 20-30 minutes, but it's all about the wattage of the devices that rely on it. With a router and modem only, it lasted 1.5 hours. If you have a NAS plugged in, that's a very practical use for one of these, but you won't get those numbers.

this. Also high latency

energytransition.org/2015/10/german-power-outage-only-once-every-four-years/

Living in Florida, it's normal to expect a power outage for least a handful of days out of the year, due to hurricanes. My city has been out for about week at least each year for the past three years.

>The only place I've lived with power problems was the USA.
If you still had doubt about the US being a third world country...

Europe has twice the population density of the US.
People in the US are spread out and handle power differently inside and throughout states.

I don't live in a third world country so power outages are extremely rare.

how comes i live in australia, a country with a population more sparse than the USA, and not once have I had a power outage

If the privatized shit electric companies invested in redundant paths instead of executive bonuses this wouldn’t be a problem.

>CNN = FAKE NEWS
based

>t. liar
news.com.au/technology/environment/why-south-australias-blackouts-are-a-problem-for-us-all/news-story/bc3bbc8be17d80844bc05ab7f5760d56
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_power_outages Australia has a big one almost every year

We used to get unlimited by default. They introduced caps for more shekels and now they sell unlimited back to us like it’s some kind of special privilege for even more shekels and the zoomers are eating it up.

Sure owned those libs

Batteries are cheap, recommend Hitachi CSB series

>But my power doesn't go out.
>Not once in the last 20 years I used my computer.
>t. Germany
German here. I'd rather have 10x as many power outages in exchange for lower prices.
0.30 € / kWh is ridiculous.

>his ssid isn't U+262D

>The entirety of australia is a single user on a Chinook Imageboard.

I've been doing this since the early 2000's. Why did it take so long for you to catch up?

>buying surplus switch from craigslist sysadmin surplus garage
>here kid have these free UPS don't know if they even work
>they work great
Several servers in the rack and the networking gear in the basement all on battery backup, we have an hourish to shut down servers and at least 6 hours of network being up. Construction constantly in progress in my area as they build fucktons of apartments and every few months, someone fucks up and breaks a power line. At least we have gigabit fiber, that only went down once when some hobos burned down their squat and took out the utility pole next to them. Took a day for the ISPs to get the lines rejoined correctly, 15 trucks out on the street the whole time.

the original post makes a generalization about Australia too

PG&E bribes the shit out of the California legislature. Ain't happening.

Attached: f0x4smbeo5w11.jpg (639x636, 55K)

Ausnet serviced areas have brown outs 2-3 times a week and black outs are once a month on a good month.. it was never really this bad until the Chinese state grid corporation took ownership now you get spikes and dips and a UPS is almost necessary for a desktop computer, nobody puts large caps in power supplies any more (for maximum efficiency) so they don't hold really up well under constant random brown outs.

Hong Kong doesnt count as China

I know it doesn't, that's why I said China.

UPS is justified in this situation but for brownouts you could easily upgrade the primary capacitor in your power supply and the power loss wouldn't come close to running a standby battery system(about 10% from memory).

my modem/router combo has a battery slot for this purpose.

really? is it its own country? does china not cuck it?

The HK identity is slowly being eroded away by dumb insect mainlander politics. I expect it would be more or less the same as PRC or (((Taiwan))) in a few years, unfortunately.

>being a phone poster and an edgelord
What's it like being a manchild

You can always just desolder the speaker if there is no built-in way to turn it off.

>analyzing a post for details to see if it was posted on a phone or not
>come to conclusion from flawed analysis
why don't you take a look in the mirror?

>debate buying a UPS
>power goes out for an hour the next friday
>buy a UPS
>no power outages in the six months since then

most of you don't realize how common brown outs are because your PSU capacity just absorbs the problem for you. ideally that would never have to happen because your UPS would handle it. also a UPS is a good surge protector, which hey lightning happens frequently in many locations that people live in

>power goes out
>"lemme just get my smartphone and turn on tethering to enjoy inferior speeds"
>power comes back five minutes later
>"lemme just do that again backwards"
the thinking man's choice

Remember to buy the gamer edition for more fps

Attached: cp_footerad_pos4_53017.jpg (275x131, 13K)

What the fuck UPS did you buy that lasts for hours? Mine will power my PC for maybe an hour. They typically are designed to last for 15 minutes their their rated max load.

A PC uses a ton of power.
Typical consumer UPSes get 20-30 minutes, but it's all about the wattage of the devices that are plugged in.
With a router and modem only, mine lasted 1.5 hours. If you have a NAS plugged in, that's a very practical use for one of these, but you won't get those numbers.

LTE has better speeds than many wired providers.

That's what I figured. My UPS is rated for 1300 watts or so but my PC only draws about 100 at low load, so it lasts for a while.

lmao, di dove sei? anch'io ho preso un paio di UPS dopo il temporale di sti giorni

Better theoretical speeds... if you live in a shithole.

>it's real
my sides

>hey everyone look at me my SSID is edgy please give me attention

by that logic, taking the time to address it gives them exactly what they want, brainlet

B-b-but what about my computer with a 1080ti...

>Bay Area in CA
He said FIRST WORLD country.

My UPS has saved my gear a couple of times now. I got one with a hot swappable battery.

>cali
>first world
lol

last time my power went out in Denver was 2003 during a 7ft snow storm..
what weather do you have that cuts your power? oh wait, none at all. you're in a 3rd world shithole.

>tfw genuinely unlimited was 25€/month in 2012
>then shit got "deregulated"
>"unlimited" is 30+ from most carriers and is actually limited to 5gigs

You fucking JEWS, it's literally the same simcard connect to the same network I have in my modem that I pay only 5€/month! You're not even hiding it, it's has the same branding and logo on it!

denver.cbslocal.com/tag/power-outage/
Disproving anecdotal evidence is easy

link a good ups then bich

>amazon
>sort by average review
why are people struggling to use the internet in 2018?

because bandwidth costs money here when some amerifat with uncapped internet can spoonfeed me

Goddamn greedy fucking republicans I swear.

>DIA outage
not denver, retard. my house hasn't lost power since then.

I'd be willing to be the expansion of the United States forced poor implementation of their power grid, not to mention as OP stated he is relying on building maintenance for providing reliable power.

So many Republicans in California.

Attached: 1E37C6F6645444E9BB42080DCD489722.gif (600x338, 3.55M)

Of course, don't you watch the tech youtubers?

Attached: gam.png (866x573, 787K)

How are APC UPSs?

Get more than 1. Big guy for your PC if it has high power requirements. Smaller one for your gaming console/tv. Same for your internet/router/AP.
If you hear all 3 click, then whole apartment drop. If you hear only 1 click then a test, but if same one clicks to switch over then you may have a bad outlet.

>Hong Kong
>Multiple typhoons every year
>Stability rating over 99.9999%

>be me, living in new condo
>workaholic sysadmin, no friends
>power constantly fucking about between contractors fucking up, ice storms and shit
>stay home and play vidya and watch tv and shit
>have always used UPS' on all electronics
>have a SMT1500 for TV and home theater system
>stanley cup playoffs on, don't follow hockey but have it on in the background
>BRAP. power goes out so i go onto the balcony for a smoke
>can see the entire north part of the city is dark except for my balcony
>hear a knock on the door
>neighbors could hear the game playing in the quietness of the outage
>can see my tv flashing since it's by the balcony door
>h-hey user, we were wondering how your power is not out? do you mind if we catch the last bit of the game? we brought beer.
>mfw i made friends because of APC

Attached: 1534634865509.gif (320x240, 3.73M)

>0.30 € / kWh
Holy fucking shit, I thought I was getting raped with 0.2 burger shekels.

Hah, that's awesome. How long did that last on those big electronics?

I'm envy you all, my shitty nation's capital has 30-60 power outages per year. hell, we're like tropical archipelago and yet we also have water interruptions every typhoon, like 20 typhoons per annum.

the tv, cable box and receiver don't really draw much more than 100 watts, so the run time was about 3 hours. watched the rest of the game and pumped some music when it was done while getting to know my neighbors.
i left the sub off of the ups of course. even setup a guest SSID on my APs so they could interwebs from their unit's when they left while the power was still out.

I live in the UK and my power goes out all the time. Literally 3rd world over here sometimes :(

APC SMT-1000 owner here, I have to say that having one is pretty damn nice, I live in a northern state and when we get some heavy weather it's a 50/50 if the power will go out, having one of these has saved my PC more than once.

For advance desktop gamer types make sure you get a pure sine wave unit. Those with laptop, older OEMs or whatnot, dont worry about it.

meant for

Attached: 1536364338406.jpg (516x541, 59K)

>Republicans
>bay area CA
404 NOT FOUND