Glt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread /

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1470084440802.png (2267x1763, 685K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/arm64/iso-cd/debian-9.5.0-arm64-netinst.iso
distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20181101T214502Z/install-amd64-minimal-20181101T214502Z.iso
mirror.dal10.us.leaseweb.net/archlinux/iso/2018.11.01/archlinux-2018.11.01-x86_64.iso
cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.19.1.tar.xz
llvm.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>glt/

What's a "glt"?

Wow you really fucked the op

Attached: 1527633663337.jpg (400x400, 89K)

Is there a way to get ranger image previews to work with mounted sshfs folders?

Here is to the best distro around. Good taste OP.

GNU Looser Thread
t. alpine just linux user

Thats Devuan

Linux is a kernel.

>mfw Debian Sid on desktop and Debian stable on just about everything else

Attached: super nut.jpg (480x475, 15K)

Probably not. SSHFS is still SFTP and thus has no concept of thumbnails, only file transfers.

How can I set up "Libraries" under GNU/Linux like on Windows 7? They're basically an Explorer shortcut that lists the contents of multiple folders in one view. For example I have a documents library that shows the contents three different folders in one view.

Words have no inherent meaning, but mean whatever people most commonly think that they mean. Context matters and it's not a problem for words to mean different things in different contexts. To suggest otherwise is childish PC nonsense.

Kernel.

Would it work if i installed ranger + w3mimg on the remote computer and using ranger through ssh instead or do you know of another alternative i can use instead?

you replied to baite

I don't care what that particular user's intentions were. There are people here who legitimately believe that nonsense.

Linux is a kernel. That's a fact.

debian/ turd

As there are people who have next to zero experience with anything yet actively avoid Debian because a couple of zoomers on this board say bad things about systemd. This is a place of shitposting and disinformation, most things aren't even worth replying to.

Help please I'm just trying to edit my i3 config file with "nitrogen --restore" to keep my wallpaper but its giving me errors.

>ERROR:CONFIG: Expected one of these tokens: , '#", 'set',......
does it need to be in a specific part of the config file?

You can't do anything interesting with your systemd-based OS that i can't do with my systemd-free one, nor do anything more easily. Meanwhile, your system is bigger and more complicated than mine. That makes it bloat.

Not disagreeing, just pointing out that beginners shouldn't blindly follow advice on Jow Forums and develop a purist mentality just because.

I agree both posts here.

It's not just because if you explain why you're right, that's the point.

Never mind I figured it out

But the thing is - not everyone is going to made anything with OS at all. Its just a tool to start another tools. If it works why would you want to do "anything interesting"? In the real world nobody cares about "bloat" except a few autists.

>glt/
>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***
>glt/

Attached: 1512585483595.jpg (600x512, 25K)

>nobody cares about "bloat" except a few autists
And this is how we identify systemd bigots

Attached: fuck NSA-systemd.jpg (1414x965, 274K)

>installed Linux Mint 19 on Surface Pro 4
>setup browser, zfs file system, d/l a good kernel for peripherals
>cam won't work
>sleep/hibernate won't work
>how do i install MSoffice?
>use some dark mode theme
>except it's not dark mode
>when in library, pull out this cool-retro-term and pretend to be awesome
>cannot reach same levels of comfyness as in W10

I'm thinking about switching back.

>In the real world nobody cares about "bloat" except a few autists.
Referring to people who know more about something than you as "autists" is a lazy way of excusing yourself for your own ignorance.

Attached: 1510353897672.png (377x281, 160K)

anyone know a working tray extension for thunderbird in mate 1.16.2?

Dolphin and Nautilus with their built in sftp:// support probably can.

im ricer

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-11-04 22-58-09.png (1920x1080, 591K)

B-But that's clearly Ubuntu with the Arch icon hacked in.

>Arch
>riced
>as Ubuntu
And how low have you fallen

Is Shepherd the best init system?
Solves all the real problems systemd also "solved" like dependencies and service restarting on crashes, and it's literally hackable with Guile.

Heard that the project doesn't even get a lot of updates because it's so hackable it's often easier just to add a feature on your own than it is to add it to the init system itself. That's the kind of shit I love to hear about my software.

>from red hat.
>too big to be audited
>having actually looked at the changelogs from systemd updates for awhile, I'd estimate about 75% of it is written by ubuntu and debian devs by now.
>systemd 400,000 lines of code
>linux kernel 10 million lines of code.
>OK kid.

Linux Kernel is a kernel. Linux typically refers to a Linux Kernel distribution for desktop or server use.

You're pretty much saying "No it's not an apple, it's a granny smith apple."

Anybody else use Howl as their text editor?

Attached: howl-editor-logo.jpg (255x255, 16K)

Attached: CopyQ.zSlzJJ.png (255x255, 115K)

Dont wanna let noobuntufags get mad so hiding ur power level. Brilliant

So I just installed my Nvidia Drivers from the Debian Backports Repo, which was 390.87-2. I'm on Linux MX, which wanted to install 384 by default, but I chose the Debian backport because it gave me the option and it was a more recent update.

Was I supposed to go with the default? Should I reinstall the driver?

Every time I exit/restart X, pulseaudio maxes out 1 core at 100% until I kill and restart it. Why the fuck is it doing this?
The Googles do nothing. :'(

>Nvidia
Don't use that word here. GFY, you're a plague.

It it works keep it, 384 is really old desu

Sell your GPU and buy an AMD one.

>using inferior 2 generation old hardware
Nah

You go back to /v/, you're clearly a gen z bandwagon meme'r
You'd know from 1990-20XX nvidia was the only option due to ATI's shit drivers and even worse hardware. If nvidia didnt exist the video stack on linux would be archaic and stuck at 320x240p

AMD couldnt fix the ATI drivers and even gave up on their own drivers cause they are so shit. The open source lack performance compared to nvida

I installed the latest Debian Repo version (390.82-2), but I get that slight screen tearing when scrolling up and down a page on browser. It was the same on Windows 10 before I upgraded to the latest drivers for my 1060 GPU.

Is this a case of Nvidia not playing well with Linux? Is there anything else I could be doing to optimize?

why is partition resizing available only on unmounted ones? how to resize without using liveusb environment

Nvidia drivers are absolutely shit in that camp. I used to run a 3.5 with proprietary drivers and it still teared from time to time. Using the nvidia setting for the composition pipeline worked, but it eventually always broke. I've had 0 problems with a 580, sold that 970 and never looked back.

bla bla bla
GFY you're not welcome on this thread.

>why is partition resizing available only on unmounted ones?
Because dev are more interested in providing useless features instead of doing what must be done for 30 years.

Because it would be extremely difficult and error prone to try and write a way to do that on an online partition, so people don't even try.
It's just not worth the monumental amount of effort.

>Is this a case of Nvidia not playing well with Linux?
Yes
>Is there anything else I could be doing to optimize?
Yes, there is an option in nvidia-settings, in your screen options, click on "advanced" and select "force full composition pipeline", if it's present for this driver

>bla bla bla
>i cant refute the claims made cause im a underage b& gen-z retard
Its ok ,nvidia wont go anywhere and will always be there when your shitty ati card dies from heat exhaustion at 10% load. Meanwhile nvidia will INNOVATE while ayyyyyymd follows in its footsteps

History dosent lie

gparted wont let me unmount home to resize, fiddling with fdisk seems a little bit too spooky

>Because dev are more interested in providing useless features instead of doing what must be done for 30 years.
You cant dynamicly change the partition layout you dumbfuck.
How the fuck are you going to resize it when the os is using the drive?

>gparted wont let me unmount home to resize
Cause you're fucking using /home right now as you are logged in to the user and using its files
holy shit how the fuck did retards like you get access to a linux iso?

>You cant dynamicly change the partition layout you dumbfuck.
If I wrote the OS that the kind of things that would be possible.
>How the fuck are you going to resize it when the os is using the drive?
And do you mean that if I rewrite some sectors the kernel and my computer will explode? Ridiculous.

Use gparted from the liveUSB...
friendly thread

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think that you should be asking yourself whether or not you need pulseaudio. Some people do. Most people don't.

That behavior sounds like the result of a bug. If you can't just get rid of pulsaudio, try rolling it back to an older version.

Linux is released as tar.xz.

>If I wrote the OS that the kind of things that would be possible.
Go fucking do it. You cant and it would be so buggy no oen would fucking bother with it, like they haven't FOR SIXTY FUCKING YEARS.

>And do you mean that if I rewrite some sectors the kernel and my computer will explode? Ridiculous.
You're asking to change the tires and the frame of a car while you're going 200 mph down a curvy road.
You're changing the bounds of the partition its self, how the fuck are you going to do that while its being used ans you constantly write data too it?

I made an .iso out of it bitch

Log out and log back in as root, then try it.

What are some cool terminal commands?

No.
cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/arm64/iso-cd/debian-9.5.0-arm64-netinst.iso
distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20181101T214502Z/install-amd64-minimal-20181101T214502Z.iso
mirror.dal10.us.leaseweb.net/archlinux/iso/2018.11.01/archlinux-2018.11.01-x86_64.iso

>fglt.nl
Why can't you even properly setup Let's Encrypt so it actually refreshes the cert?

Attached: _.png (714x575, 41K)

>Go fucking do it. You cant and it would be so buggy no oen would fucking bother with it, like they haven't FOR SIXTY FUCKING YEARS.
So I don't have the right to criticize because I'm not doing it? (That's exactly your argument, but you won't probably understand that).
>You're asking to change the tires and the frame of a car while you're going 200 mph down a curvy road.
Ridiculous. VM (virtual memory) can handle the few pages that need to be remapped during the process. I'm not talking about changing the memory, but only the HD.
>You're changing the bounds of the partition its self, how the fuck are you going to do that while its being used ans you constantly write data too it?
Ho my gosh, it's too hard to rewrite routing tables during running. How could the internet work in that case?

Seriously, you're an ignorant, and, if you're a coder, a shitty code monkey

cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.19.1.tar.xz

I didn't even know this thread had a website

>Seriously, you're an ignorant, and, if you're a coder, a shitty code monkey
Do it right now. What ever language you want.Post it in fewer then 100 lines.

Attached: 1541094050094.gif (480x360, 1.61M)

>Do it right now. What ever language you want.Post it in fewer then 100 lines.
Here we are. When people can't stand criticism they always rely on that fallacious argument of doing thing. Pathetic.

That is not a linux iso
Words can have multiple meanings you gen z trash

Kinda need Nvidia/CUDA for 3D productivity purposes though.
Ok thanks.

What else is it? NT? Hurd?

>4.19
So that's it we will finally get rid of the 4.18 ?
>4.18.16
I just want to see it change now, just because...you see...

Attached: 5f2fe2e9e4852b63d35b6f93d7d7866b.jpg (400x400, 26K)

A "Linux ISO" refers to a Linux Distribution, a userland(such as LLVM) and Linux packaged together in a variety.

This, I have no problems using ALSA

Linux is a kernel.

llvm isn't a userland you glorious faggot

Usually that's a bug in your card's ALSA driver, or maybe something stupid your distro did with Pulse. You might be able to avoid that that by setting
exit-idle-time = -1
in your daemon.conf, which is in /etc/pulse or ~/.config/pulse.

Where did i infer it wasnt?

>blaming ALSA for an obvious Pulseaudio bug
Yeah, that will fix it

LLVM suite replaces gnu.
llvm.org/

How do you guys feel about MX Linux?

I assume you have a bug report to go with this obvious Pulse bug?

I was surprised to hear that the 4.18 kernel addressed sound issues with the spectre x360 which is the laptop that I sadly use. The only reason I found out about that is because my audio started to mess up after upgrading to that version. Thank the dudes for fixing whats not broken

Should be called MX GNU/Linux.

>NOTABUG
>WONTFIX
Typical attitude of Pulsecrap (yes, the same developers of THAT one too)

It's good for what it is, but I'd rather just use Debian.

They have a ton of backports. They're focused on producing a ready to use distribution with GUI interfaces for as much as possible. The forum is pretty decent. They cater a little too much to retards, but the intention is good. XFCE itself is (imo) inherently bunk at this point in Debian because it runs the old release with bugs that have been fixed upstream for years, so that's unfortunate. It's a pretty good distro over all though, definitely about as good as it can be. In my experience though, Debian itself runs better since every little deviation the devs make from Debian, they have to keep track of and maintain (backports, apt preferences, systemd shit, system configurations)

It reminds me a bit of #! back in the day.

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a debian based preconfigured desktop.

Attached: mx.jpg (1024x640, 110K)

It's called Xfce.

> sound no work
> grog blame yellow stickman
Lennart is a dick, but you're a fucking idiot. If you lose 5 hard drives in the same computer, do you blame Western Digital or your power supply?

Attached: ... .jpg (409x453, 18K)

Bad example. Drives all fail eventually. That's why RAID exists.

>why is the thing we didnt correctly address for X years suddenly functioning properly the wya we want it.
>why are my outdated configuration files no longer working after my driver was updated in the kernel?