Raspberry Pi

Are there any real uses for a Raspberry Pi that can't be done on an old shitter laptop or phone? Redpill me Jow Forums.

Attached: 2358-02.jpg (1200x900, 975K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Aatp5gCskvk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pi-Hole is god like and an MPD server is always a nice thing to have.

Both of those things could be done on an old shitty laptop, but there is no reason to do so unless you already have the laptop and can't afford a Pi

nope, but the raspberry pi will be more compact & more power efficient. It also can talk to things using the GPIO pins, which is something a laptop can't do without added hardware.

pocket sized laptop

Pretty much the only reason I want one, that and for use as a nintendo emulator.

You know that you can do a shit load of things with a raspberry pi, right? If your "real uses" are limited to shitposting then yes, you can do that with any laptop or phone.

>he doesn't own a smartphone
>he doesn't have any sort of computer

Oh look, it's this thread again.

Put it in the drawer you stupid faggot, don;t buy shit unless you have a use for it.

this idiot doesn't get the point
the pi does everything that a laptop or phone does
and it's the size of a matchbook
and consumes under 1 watt
and is unobtrusive

>Be any smartphone

I have a single pi running Pi-Hole, Airsonic, NextCloud, and tt-rss all at the same time.

There's a solid community built around it. Most of the software/hardware will just work, rather than having to mess around with linux wifi drivers on an old laptop or something like that.

If you just want a simple server and can do it on an old laptop, you're better off saving the $25

Damn, Airsonic seems like exactly what I’ve been looking for as a Music replacement to Plex.

How do I get my pi - hole to block YouTube ads on phones and streaming devices?

I'm gay if that matters at all

youtube hosts their own ads I'm pretty sure, so only way to do it through pihole is to block youtube

there are no 5V output pins on most laptops

Which phones have GPIO?

I love these bot posted recycled threads which give the impression of board traffic though. Sadly infinity chan’s /tech/ has like 3x the activity of this board once you subtract the Chinese shills and bots who infest this place. Sad!

It's pretty great, I use Clementine to connect to it at work though because the web client, while pretty and nicer to navigate, is fucking bad at streaming big uncompressed .flac files. There's a transcode option but I don't care enough to set one up.

wtf is raspberry pi?

>wtf is raspberry pi?
The answer is not revealed until you buy one.
Then you have to ask Jow Forums what to do with it

>be any smartphone
>can only install shitty operating systems
>no driver support
>cant add decent peripherals
>no ethernet port
>cant flash OS via microSD card
>shitty telemetry built into hardware
>battery goes bad in 2 years

there are no 5v i/o pins on rpi either

Tiny computer with an ARM cpu and a gig of ram that runs on microSD and a slimmed down version of linux.

Pros: $35
Cons: You spent $35 to post a question on Jow Forums

Say I want a server for:
>Hosting email
>Backup storage
>Running scripts that perpetually fetch stock prices
>Hosting a personal website
Which of these can an rpi do at the same time?

Virtually everything, it depends on the load

Yeah. I haven't noticed chink shills though, more Indian but I'm a brainlet.

Thanks for answering. Guess I'm ordering one tomorrow.
I had almost given up on running a home server after figuring out I pay for my electricity.

>4 captchas
What the fuck

Are you a communist? What I do with my money is none of your fucking business

You'll run into bandwidth issues for file transfers, but it could handle the processing load. The Pi's ethernet is limited to the bandwidth of the USB bus, so you might want to look into other boards. The Orange Pi or the cheapest, on sale, last gen Synology NAS enclosure might be worth it.

You can always have more than one
Certainly more power efficient than any server

Can a Raspberry handle 1080p hevc video?
If so I can think to replace my old Xeon server

use the gpio idiot

Thanks, I'll look into those.

Max throughput for the ethernet on a raspberry pi 3 b+ is 300mbps, would that be sufficient for a mail server? I've never set up a mail server but was considering it with my pi.

That sounds good enough, but I don't have experience with running my own mail server.

Universal Serial Bus wants to have a word with you.

>would that be sufficient for a mail server?
Absolutely

WhenPoisonTap(Raspberry Pi Zero& Node.js) is plugged into alocked/password protectedcomputer, it:

emulates an Ethernet device over USB (or Thunderbolt)

hijacksall Internet trafficfrom the machine (despitebeing a low priority/unknown network interface)

siphons and stores HTTP cookies and sessions from the web browser for the Alexa top 1,000,000 websites

exposes theinternal routerto the attacker, making it accessibleremotelyvia outbound WebSocket and DNS rebinding (thanksMatt Austinfor rebinding idea!)

installs a persistent web-based backdoor in HTTP cache for hundreds of thousands of domains and common Javascript CDN URLs, all with access to the user’s cookies via cache poisoning

allows attacker toremotelyforce the user to make HTTP requests and proxy back responses (GET & POSTs) with theuser’s cookieson any backdoored domain

doesnotrequire the machine to be unlocked

backdoors and remote access persisteven after device is removedand attacker sashays away

youtu.be/Aatp5gCskvk

Attached: PoisonTap-exploiting-locked-machines-wRaspberry-Pi-Zero.jpg (1280x720, 196K)

>old shitter laptop
The shittyness of these things can get annoying but yes, they are a viable competitor for raspberry.

>phone
Difficult to install linux on these things.

Pihole doesn't do any magic. You can conf traffic intercepting stuff yourself.

All of those. At the same time.

Keep in mind that the Pi has a 100Mbit NIC. This may or may not be an issue, especially with backup storage

>Using RPi
>Not just baking ARM SoCs into your PCB

>Both of those things could be done on an old shitty laptop, but there is no reason to do so unless you already have the laptop and can't afford a Pi

I would argue that it's more expensive to run it on an old shitty laptop vs a PI. the power costs would eventually catch up with you.

I don't get it, you guys don't use SOCs as clients for your home media center?

There IS one thing that requires a Raspberry Pi and that an old laptop can't do: the Google AIY project kits REQUIRE Raspberry Pi hardware.

It's difficult to get even other ARM SBCs to substitute for these projects, as their software are written specifically for the RPi platform.

I'm using mine (RPi 2B) as WOL server, git repository server, Transmission client, DHCP server, Nextcloud server, and as web server for few apps i wrote in PHP for my own use, among one is simple music streaming app (see pic).

Attached: music.png (960x816, 58K)

PiHole can be done on a phone and even a laptop.

Nice. What I would like to be able to do is grab windows logon credentials from a locked workstation. Anyone know how to do that? I bought a USB rubber ducky and plan to try out mimikatz but being able to do it on a pi would be decent too.

>phones
Most phones can't run a proper linux distro bare metal so you're stuck with running linux on top of a most likely insecure and outdated version of android. There's also the issue of dongles, good luck connecting a charger, ethernet and maybe an external hard drive to a single micro-USB port. Having a device with an aging battery permanently connected to a charger is a fire hazard and some phones don't work without the battery so you'd have to put extra effort into bypassing the battery detection.

>laptops
Laptops are infinitely better than shitty pis for home server applications, but the pis beat them when it comes to hobby "electronics" projects where you may need a small computer with GPIO.

>Ethernet on phones
Why? You have WiFi.
>external hard drive
Why? You have mSD.

>Why? You have WiFi.
Better speed, lower latency, one fewer device to hog the wireless bandwidth of your shitty consumer wireless router, one fewer thing to troubleshoot when your dicky phone server is unreachable over the network for some reason.

>Why? You have mSD.
IF your phone has an SD card slot, and even then, you're paying premium for storage by buying expensive SD cards instead of cheap hard drives (cheap per GiB), which kinda defeats the point of making a ghetto home server in the first place.

>the power costs would eventually catch up with you
Using worst-case local electricity prices and assuming a 10 Watt power difference, you could break even in 2.6 years and start saving more than a dozen bucks a year afterwards. The catch is that you have to use a shitty pi instead of a powerful laptop.

Attached: file.png (983x175, 24K)

You can get a 32GB mSD for less than 7$. That's more than enough for a server. In fact, a server would be fine on 32GB internal storage.

I added the external hard drive as an optional thing in my original post, if your server is meant to be something like a NAS. Obviously, 32 GB would be far from enough for an application like that.

If you don't know why you need one, then you don't need one.