Only one ethernet port?

Why does every router at every price range have only one ethernet port?

The shitty router I got from my ISP has 4.

Do I have to get an ethernet switch to have more than 1 port?

Attached: hmmm.jpg (3262x1181, 272K)

that's modem you braindead monkey
go snap your spine

Attached: abstract bait.jpg (224x225, 10K)

that's a modem not a router

you connect a router to the modem

Uh...that's just a modem. They assume you have your own.

Attached: 1540682907356.jpg (244x208, 20K)

That's not a router you mong

because a modem is not a network switch

what is the point of having a separate router and modem and not a device that does both?

All these people saying it's not a router but it actually is.
Sure, it's a modem, but it's also routing packets between networks based on IP address, which makes it Layer 3 and a router.

Cost.

Recommend me an ADSL router modem combo

It allows you more control, if you potentially need a more advanced router, it's far easier to switch to something better if you have a standalone modem already.

Many people also get routers without wifi and use access points for wifi coverage.

Cost and I wouldn't trust the modem to not be a switch/router. If those are combined, you know that they are aiming for the budget poorfags so the quality will be shit.

*I wouldn't trust the modem to not be a *shitty* switch/router.

modulating/demodulating and routing are not mutually exclusive

maybe, maybe not. my modem can route but unless it has no uplink it will just bridge

Same reason you always buy a printer and scanner separately over those all-in-one craps. If one thing breaks, you only have to replace one thing.

when did a router or modem ever break for you? wtf?

I've had three cable modems die on me over the years.

Either you are intentionally baiting or you really are too stupid to be on Jow Forums

Attached: waitfuckwhat.jpg (450x517, 61K)

yes, they are, they have nothing to do with each other. you can put both in the same device but that doesn’t mean demodulating means looking up your routing table for the next hop

what can be shit in a router or modem? assuming that it reaches the maximum speed you're paying for anyway

it runs out of memory for the state tables or just in general and then you have to restart it.

smartrg 505n
TP Link w9970
An old ass motorola with fan cooling
Anything else is garbage.

>they have nothing to do with each other
So they are mutually exclusive. Are you ESL?

TRENDnet TEW-723BRM.

aren't*
bleh

It's not just about breaking. Another reason is because not all products and brands are created equal. You gonna want a good modem AND a good router. A modem/router combo might be a shitty router or a shitty modem. Or compromise both and just be all around shitty.

More pain in the ass though for backup power for an outage.

what makes these the only good options?

You know you could....you know....get something else that has both built in together and not waste a thread right? Now everyone is too busy explaining how stupid you are.

Attached: 1534069755055.jpg (852x480, 40K)

that's what you get for being a filthy jew.

Attached: 1541370799057.jpg (2970x778, 288K)

what's a good gigabit router? wifi optional because i can just hook up my current one to it

Mikrotik hex

that looks great, i might get it

>get all in one
>"aww damn the router isnt good enough"
>have to get a separate router or range extenders