Breaks xorg

>breaks xorg
whoa... so this is the power of gentoo gahnoo plus linucks

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.gentoo.org/669648
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Non_root_Xorg
archlinux.org/news/xorg-server-116-is-now-available/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

use command line

>having xorg on your system
user, i....

heh it broke for me two days ago too

It was on purpose
Read this: bugs.gentoo.org/669648

>Xorg

It didn't break xorg here or on any of my machines.

I'm gonna guess you didn't have the correct USE-flags and used something like startx without systemd like indicates.

Did I get meme'd on again? I thought gentoo was supposed to be stable?

Attached: 1541362416495.jpg (320x240, 22K)

it is, if you use the stable branch. which is probably something nobody here does.

everything breaks xorg desu

There was a concrete security issue with suid'd Xorg and this change made the default more secure in case similar bug finds its way into Xorg again, but this ebuild change also broke starting of Xorg for those users that had the lazy insecure setup. The change itself was fine, but not making a NEWS item that tells you your shit is about to break was a big fuck up from the gentoo maintainers

This literally happened to a kid on my team right before his presentation.

Dean if you're listening you don't have to use Gentoo. Or arch. It's ok to use Wangblows or Ubuntu or something. Use flags aren't that important

Fuck's sake, why are you using Gentoo if you're this hopeless? Either rebuild it with suid re-enabled, or:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Non_root_Xorg

Eh, updating your machine shortly before something like a presentation doesn't seem wise to me regardless of the OS. (E.g., just imagine your dude being hit by the recent W10 update bug that deleted people's personal files.) Also, on Gentoo it shouldn't be difficult to downgrade if necessary.

I just installed gentoo yesterday on my t420, and i was getting issues with getting startx to work. So from seeing this thread I should recompile xorg-server with the USE flag +suid? Also I guess im retarded because i didnt know it was necessary to run startx in root as well (although i tried that and it didnt work either)

Unstable branch is unironically more stable for me. This Xorg issue didn't apply to me. Works on my machine

No, the better ways to do it are for example setting up a display manager/login manager and letting that launch Xorg for you, or run Xorg as a no root user. The whole point of why -suid is the default now is that it is inherently insecure to do it that way.

Did you mean arch? Gentoo is stable as fuck, I know this is just shitty bait but if you broke something it means that you did something retarded

ah alright got it, thanks user.

Not this time. They set suid disabled by default in X.org. Had to reenable it manually. Haven't tried all of non-root X.org but I doubt it'll work on my machine.

>Not this time. They set suid disabled by default in X.org.
You really don't need suid root to run xorg.

It was a completely reasonable thing to disable even if the few setups that DID rely on it will have to do things correctly now or enable suid by USE-flag. But it's not something tat people should have enabled by default.

im tired of gentoo but everything else is worse

I suggest you try it user, I looked it up after mentioned it and it was pretty easy to get working.

not making a news about them intentionally breaking some setups was wrong, not even bumbing the -r version of xorg was even more retarded as that made it far harder than it needed to be for ppl to notice what just happened

guess I'm replacing startx with xdm

why would people run xorg as root anyway? It's insecure by default >archlinux.org/news/xorg-server-116-is-now-available/
This news is so old, I thought everyone moved on to non-root xorg

Maybe I'm a brainlet, can someone elaborate?

>x11-base/xorg-server suid

Attached: 1514941297977.png (403x448, 53K)

>Xorg

this is why nobody likes you

>xorg as root
I though using startx as user was the norm. is it not?

this, praise sway

arch doesn't have this problem :^)