Perfect mix of stability + a ports system with bleeding edge packages

>perfect mix of stability + a ports system with bleeding edge packages
>installs in literally under 10 minutes
>clean code with documentation so good you will literally just read it for enjoyment
>not a single bit of bloat to be found
>project leader is a man of integrety, will never step down and let his OS be CoC'd
>will have the biggest epenis on desktop threads
why the FUCK aren't you using OpenBSD?

Attached: the-eternal-pufferfish.gif (800x725, 293K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsdfoundation.org/activities.html
openbsd.org/innovations.html
quora.com/Is-TRIM-support-at-the-OS-level-still-necessary-or-are-more-recent-SSDs-able-to-deal-with-it-automatically
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2014.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2015.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2016.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2017.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2018.html
man.openbsd.org/FreeBSD-11.1/jail.8
jcs.org/2017/09/01/thinkpad_x1c
man.openbsd.org/fstab
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>MemeBSD, no TRIM
I use FreeBSD.

I'm scared that I'll have to spend weeks figuring out how to get it to run on my hardware with all of the drivers and shit.

my main computer is an AMD A10 from like 2015 and openbsd just werked on it, radeon graphics and all.
My only other computer is a c2d acer laptop and it just werked there too
My ADATA ssd has been running fine for almost a year now

In that case, maybe I'll give it a shot

>using CoCed OS
>doesnt understand that modern SSDs do TRIM on firmware level
kys

>modern SSDs do TRIM on firmware level
source?

>why aren't you
Because audio is choppy, browser is slow and kernel crashes when copying files to phone

Also high power consumption

Also no Bluetooth.

>COMPLETELY INCOMPATIBLE WITH WINE

Attached: 11.png (450x472, 189K)

Bluetooth a shit on my laptop anyway but yeah the other stuff blew it for me. I need my vaporwave and if I can't listen to it on my computer OR copy it to my phone I'm finito

what?
sndio is widely considered the best audio sever out there
use dragonflybsd then
ftp them to your phone

>sndio
That may be so but music still skipped. It could have resulted from any number of things but the bottom line is, it was a problem I had on OpenBSD that I don't have on Debian.
>ftp
That would have probably worked.

I might give it another shot. There's a lot I do like about OpenBSD.

>Because audio is choppy
I don't have this problem
>browser is slow
6.1 or 6.2 was completely useless with firefox. I think 6.3 and 6.4 have fixed the issue.
>and kernel crashes when copying files to phone
Oh shit lol

But hey if it does not work for you it's fine there are plenty of other OS to pick from.

My grievences with OpenBSD are autistic anti-GPL shit like lets keep over 10 year old compiler in base because of the license. There is nowdays clang thou also in the base. Also filesystem is outdated as fuck. And yeah that fucking firmware shit that they don't ship install with those.

>open it up
>run fw_update
>run x
if it DOES support your hardware that's it.

>kernel crashes
what the fuck? have you run current? report pls to openbsd-bugs if it persists.

>kernel
I have not run current, it was on 6.4.If I do reinstall OBSD, I'll report the bug. I was dropped to a ddb prompt and followed the FAQ, so I have crash info (saved images to phone camera.) Only part I didn't do yet was objdump.

>ports system with bleeding edge packages
That's sadly not true and i'm an advocate for OpenBSD.

Just don't pull the plug to often out of the blue and your hdd/ssd and fs will be just fine.

please do.
>use the sendbug utility, copy+paste the content into an email client and remove some of it and send to [email protected] .
good luck m8.

which packages user? maybe someone'll give them some attention.

(1/3)
OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
SSD TRIM is vital to supporting SSDs, as without it, they degrade quickly due to unnecessary reads and writes. Sadly, OpenBSD has decided not to support this.
OpenBSD also does not offer a modern filesystem option. You simply get the very old BSD "Fast File System" or FFS.
Why is this important? Because when most people think of a secure system, they think of being resistant to evil hackers breaking into it. But that's only one part of security. InfoSec can be generally split up into three components: Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability.
In this triad, availability seems to be the one that's lacking here. Who cares how hack-resistant your system is if the data you're protecting is corrupted?
That's not even getting into the volume management stuff that's missing, and the snapshots, and the everything.
"b-b-but MUH BACKUPS!!"
What are you even saying? That bitrot all of a sudden doesn't exist anymore? That backups are the one and only thing you should do and should not be supplemented by a more stable filesystem?
You do realize that if the filesystem is not secure and does not protect against bitrot and corruption, your precious backups are going to be fucked, because you'll be backing up corrupted data. Who even knows how far you'll have to roll back in order to get to a clean state?
"ZFS is one big thing! Very not-Unix! Just combine tools, bro"
OpenBSD doesn't have logical volume management either. Even if it did, FFS doesn't have the checksumming, bitrot protection, etc. Even if it did, OpenBSD softraid doesn't support as many RAID levels as other operating systems' solutions. It's just a worse deal all around.

Attached: puf800X689.gif (800x689, 69K)

(2/3)
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really.
OpenBSD also does not have NFSv4 support even 18 years after its standardization. This is an issue security-wise because version 4 is the only one to offer authentication with Kerberos plus encryption with the krb5p option.
A common retort to this argument is that the NFSv4 protocol is "bloated", and that's why OpenBSD doesn't support it. Going off this, the OpenBSD project seems to think that authentication and encryption are bloat. Take a moment to consider that. It's certainly a very strange stance indeed, for such a "security-focused" operating system.
Let's of course not forget that OpenBSD lacks a Mandatory Access Control solution such as SELinux, AppArmor, or TrustedBSD, which provide benefits that are relevant to companies, organizations, and governments looking to better secure their systems and classified data.

Attached: no-sign-hi.png (600x600, 20K)

(3/3)
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
"but it's open source! Someone could just fork it"
Oh yeah because surely they'll be able to maintain the entire OS
Actually now that I think about it, that really depends on the person/organization that does it. And they might actually have some sense and be able to fix some of the issues listed here.
It's official. OpenBSD would be better off if it shut down and was restarted.
>C Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU C extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?
>Miscellaneous
OpenBSD's pf has inferior performance, as it only utilizes one core of one processor. GNU/Linux's netfilter firewall does not have this problem. Neither does pfsense.
OpenBSD does not support any 802.11 Wi-Fi standard newer than 'n'. It also lacks Bluetooth.
WINE doesn't exist on OpenBSD.

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

>inb4 software shouldn't be responsible for hardware bits being flipped
Since the apparent takeover of the Linux project by trannies, there has been a lot of talk about moving to other operating systems, with one of the main choices being OpenBSD. One of the criticisms of this OS is that its filesystem does nothing to protect against bitrot and data corruption in general. OpenBSD fans have responded to this by claiming that storage device makers are to be blamed for failures. Others have suggested that it is a result of 'bullshit writes' from large and bloated programs such as browsers.
To be fair, I agree that modern browsers are shit, but I've been noticing this as a trend from OpenBSDfags on here. Shifting the blame from the OS to someone else. It's hard drive manufacturers, and if it's not them, it's browser devs.
Pointing fingers doesn't solve problems. Actions do.
What can hard drive manufacturers do to make their hardware failure-proof? Is that even possible with today's technology? No manufacturer has done it in the history of these computer components. What evidence makes you think they can do it now?
What can browser developers do to fix their software? If they do not make their browsers as bloated as they are, 90% of the web will stop working, and that would prevent many people from doing what they want/need to do, since everything is done on the web. Perhaps there is room for a discussion on how the bloat got this bad and how to reverse it, but as it stands, the WWW won't be changing any time soon, and because of that, browsers can't change any time soon.
So it is clear that regardless of who should be 'rightfully' responsible for the issue of bits being flipped, there is only one party that can do anything about it, and that is the OS developers.

>why the FUCK aren't you using OpenBSD?
not comfy enough

Again these.

If only FreeBSD girls would spend same amount fixing their OS, maybe it would become usable.

libxfce4ui is outdated. I pointed out yesterday in a post that i tried compiling the new xfce-screensaver, that relies on a head of xfce_widget_reparent, which isn't present, so the compile fails. The feature has been introduced in 2016 and the version available in ports is exactly on the same patch level as the one available via binary package. This applies to a lot more packages than just this one. And before i start building the entire xfce suite from scratch, i'd rather continue using the shitty fedora setup i have now. I don't want to bother the maintainer because i tried following up on the dependencies and i can't be arsed. I can't really contribute because i don't know any C and i wouldn't be able to adjust the source to include shit like pledge, etc.

Why haven't you killed yourself yet? I mean your life is so meaningless that you have to post this shit over and over again.

post things that openbsd users cant do

Attached: 2018-11-05-1541432308.png (655x358, 34K)

>get hacked
>get remote code execution
>get privilege escalation
Oh i am so jelly

Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:
>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>Any kind of journaling FS
>SSD TRIM
>NFSv4
>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>802.11ac networking
>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>AMD Vega graphics
>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>Broadcom wireless
>Bluetooth
>WINE
>LUKS/dm-crypt
>Linux compatibility layer
>Mounting ext filesystems
>free(1)
>lsblk(8)
>Proper virtualization (vmd/vmm is awful compared to KVM+QEMU or even Virtualbox)
>and probably more

seething

What about Nvidia graphics card support?
And raven ridge support (including Vega graphics).

This applies to you as well

>My grievences with OpenBSD are autistic anti-GPL shit like lets keep over 10 year old compiler in base because of the license.
They use clang now

>muh storage filesystem
Use raid or softraid. HDDs have some protection built-in to combat bitrot.
>2 holes is nothing to brag about
There is a lot of shit in the default install. As an example, how many systems include a capable web server out of the box? There is a lot of surface area actually. Don't pretend otherwise.
>Openbsd doesn't have NFSv4
There may be very good reasons they won't even consider support. Also, a lack of a security protocol is not inherently a security issue. You look at the system as it is without the protocol as if the protocol doesn't exist and ask if the system is secure to assess that question without bias. Encryption is not some magic fairy dust that just makes things secure. Sometimes adding a new protocol that sounds to secure creates more security problems than it solves due to increased attack vectors and surface area.
This is directly from Theo
>NFSv4 is not on our roadmap. It is a ridiculous bloated protocolwhich they keep adding crap to. In about a decade the people whoactually start auditing it are going to see all the mistakes that ithides.
>SELinux, AppArmor
Look at jails, pledge, unveil, and priv sep
OpenSSH is very secure but doesn't use those bloated methods.
>A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down
Far from true now. Donations are on the rise. Corporate sponsorships as well. Don't take my word for it. Look yourself:
openbsdfoundation.org/activities.html
Funny thing is that freebsd is getting fewer donations now than openbsd.
>Rant about c standards compliance being bad
That's just personal taste. What actually matters is how high quality the openbsd codebase is and that they continually audit every piece of their source tree (everything in default install).
>It also lacks Bluetooth.
They took it out for security reasons.
>openbsd innovations openbsd.org/innovations.html

BTW I have you to thank why I use openbsd now. Thanks.

LMAO triggered by softraid

Attached: 111111.jpg (681x1029, 151K)

>package manager which checks for package updates by checking each package ONE BY ONE
>have to manually disable KMS or otherwise you get a blank screen because you haven't run fw_update yet
>missing many console keyboard layouts

it just feels like Linux 10 years ago

>robust filesystem
>btrfs
CHOOSE ONE

BTRFS IS LITERALLY THE SHITTIEST FILESYTEM IN EXISTENCE

radical pro-BSD anti-Linux shill Ted T'so quora.com/Is-TRIM-support-at-the-OS-level-still-necessary-or-are-more-recent-SSDs-able-to-deal-with-it-automatically

>> 68366307
>> 68366337
>> 68366357
Meme as dumb as ever.

- SSDs handle wear leveling in firmware now.
- OpenBSD's base system is nicely full featured. You can do a lot without installing anything external. The only package on my router is Tor and the only one on my webserver is CGit.
- Along with the base system OpenBSD has security features like ASLR, strict malloc, retguard, stack canaries, and more, that benefit ALL packages. I'd rather run packaged software on OpenBSD than Linux.
- You make a big deal about NFSv4 but you don't actually use it, because it sucks.
- Every RHEL machine I've ever seen in industry has SELinux turned off. Your fancy MAC won't do you any good if it's too complicated for even sysadmins to use.
- The call for donations worked. These days OpenBSD has no trouble keeping the lights on:
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2014.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2015.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2016.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2017.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2018.html
- OpenBSD isn't strict ISO C, they happily and logically extend the standard where it makes sense. Meanwhile GNU land gives you shitty extensions like strfry() and not anything useful. 2018, and you still can't call arc4random(), arc4random_buf(), or arc4random_uniform() with glibc! What a fucking joke.

Only decent point is lack of a good filesystem, but FFS with software RAID will be enough to prevent bitrot. Nothing wrong with running DragonFly/HAMMER2 on your backup server if you feel that way.

Why does OpenBSD use xterm, I thought it was bloated or some shit?

No support for unicode.

Literally all *BSD videos available on YouTube are made by pajeets. I can't stand reading endless documentation so I prefer videos or podcasts. In other words there is no way for me to get into BSDs without listening to pajeet tech talk.

>Literally all *BSD videos available on YouTube are made by pajeets. I can't stand reading endless documentation so I prefer videos or podcasts. In other words there is no way for me to get into BSDs without listening to pajeet tech talk.
An OS with direct UNIX roots isn't meant for brainlets anyway
learn to read and come back nigga

How is the wifi on it OP?
Xorg okay?
Drivers?
Which laptop works best with openbsd

>Which laptop works best with openbsd
Imaginary.

>ports system with bleeding edge packages
They port random Linux apps with minimal testing and no upstream support for BSD. Many packages are outdated and security is not a concern for anything outside of the base system.

>They port random Linux apps with minimal testing and no upstream support for BSD. Many packages are outdated and security is not a concern for anything outside of the base system.
So just like arg leenox?

Stop pretending winfag

>Wi-Fi
No GUI manager but it's a non-issue, I use wiconfig
>Xorg
They have their own fork, Xenocara
>Drivers?
Whether they work well or your device is unsupported.
>laptop
ThinkPads are always a good choice. On my Latitude even the pen and touchscreen are supported.
ThinkPads and Latitudes

where's ZFS, HAMMER2 or even BTRFS
where's jails
where's VMs
where the fuck are the features that a server is supposed to have?

oh right, OpenBSD doesnt have it kek

meme OS

>Either they work well or the hardware's unsupported
Fixed

>where's ZFS, HAMMER2 or even BTRFS
It's rumored that HAMMER2 may be ported.
>where's jails
In the base system.
>where's VMs
In the base system.
where the fuck are the features that a server is supposed to have?
You mean things like pf, httpd, opensmtpd, etc? In the base system.

Pastafag here. That's really the worst part. Obviously OpenBSD isn't going to hold up very well as a regular desktop system, but that's to be expected to a certain extent. It's BSD Unix, so it's meant to run on servers and mainframes and shit, but it doesn't compare very well to other OSes in that sphere either.

That's not how it works. It won't work without OS TRIM support.

>It's rumored that HAMMER2 may be ported.
I'd like some confirmation on these rumors. If it's true, I may actually take another look at OpenBSD.
>jails in the base system.
that's FreeBSD. you may have gotten this idea from the manpage hosted on "openbsd.org"
man.openbsd.org/FreeBSD-11.1/jail.8
but if you look, that's from the FreeBSD manual, which OpenBSD just happens to host for whatever reason.

No AC WiFi

HAMMER is a wish, not something currently happening. Unlike ZFS which has no chance of ever happening.
Wear leveling works fine without OS TRIM support, especially if you're not using decade-old SSDs.

>bleeding edge packages
I love OpenBSD, but OP, please don't lie. The packages only get updated once every six months at BEST. Most of the packages haven't been updated in a long, long while.

Install Windows 10 then, if you're retarded enough to use closed-source software.

Because networking and the package manager never work for my installs. There is no way I'd install it natively

Nvidia doesn't support any OSes other than Windows, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris. What would you expect from closed-source hardware with closed-source drivers? It's sad.
xterm is a good terminal, it comes with many useful features. Since the features are useful, I wouldn't call it bloat. They remove stuff like Tektronix mode too, in OpenBSD.
>Xorg okay?
Very. OpenBSD comes with every, or nearly every X.org program. xclock, xedit, xman, xbiff, the whole suite. Very useful.
>Drivers?
As with any open source OS, you'll run into problems. I don't know if any video card from this decade works.
If OpenBSD had video drivers, it'd be the best desktop, though. Unlike FreeBSD, it doesn't crash when you use a browser. (^:

here's openbsd installed and running on a very new ultrabook
jcs.org/2017/09/01/thinkpad_x1c

The six months cycle is on -stable. I'm on current and I usually get a new version of, say, Firefox or Emacs within a day or two of its release

soft journaling is the functional equivalent.

these fags are going for the death by attrition strat with their gay posts. noone is gonna reply to you after the first one but that's not your objective is it?

I don't see any mention of a video card. The astronomy software I use truly needs a discrete video card in order to render.
I also only use desktops, not laptops. However, it is neat to see OpenBSD working on something that recent.

Apparently you can make it work with most AyyMD cards. NVIDIA has practically no support.

>-current
No thanks.

And even on -current, a lot of the packages are out of date. Multiple years out of date, even. There are some programs I only compile from source since my ports submissions were ignored or not replied to.

what the fuck kind of OS can support only 1 filesystem?
Can you even mount ext4?

The only reason to run -stable is if you are running it as a server OS, otherwise -current is just fine

I must be lucky then, every package I use is pretty up to date

Who the fuck said it only supports 1 FS?

man.openbsd.org/fstab

That's really untrue, especially given that some of the partition sizes are by default too small to compile -current. Try compiling X with the default partition sizes. I dare you.
>inb4 ``Oh I meant snapshots not -current!!!''
That's totally possible, when using popular packages. I should try again with the port submissions, they really were simple.

You don't need to compile the system by source if you want to run -current... The FAQ recommends using a snapshot as starting point. And I do agree that the default partition sizes are not the best, but I never used the default anyway.

Sorry dude. Post em again, mention that you've submitted them before with no response. Ports stuff does fall through the cracks sometimes.

I just tried it out again today and the video drivers are fucked and it's stuck at 1024x768 maximum resolution. Pretty disappointed 2bh

what driver? what does xrandr say? i have no trouble with radeon.

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 5120 x 1440, maximum 8192 x 8192
DVI-0 connected 2560x1440+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
2560x1440 59.95*+
DVI-1 connected 2560x1440+2560+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
2560x1440 59.95*+

I think I'm gonna take a look at the logs again, after I shut the system down and put it aside for later I found out that the stock Radeon X300 in it had been replaced with an 8400GS which was why it was loading the Nvidia drivers that were confusing the shit out of me before.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with my shitty KVM switch, I've noticed my OS 9/8 Macs shitting themselves with it as well and not properly recognizing the monitor they're attached to.

does it support my luks encrypted partitions?

>why the FUCK aren't you using OpenBSD?
Because it uses 100% proprietary binaries produced in some guys basement that they refuse to release source for and there are FBI backdoors.

Just kidding I don't use it because it has no drivers and no support.

I guess 99% of professionals are retarded enough to use closed-source software.

I went and tried it again and managed to force a proper mode to be available but when I try to swap over to it it just shits itself with a BadValue error. Think I'm just gonna throw something else on it and wait for a better candidate to show up.

Correct.

>money makes things better
Todd Howard tier argument

People in this tread are so retarded.

Because it's a heapload of time wasting shit.