Innawoods Device

I recently found the apps plantsnap, alltrails, and fishbrain. I would like to make an offline innawoods device that combines these three things (plant photo identifier, hiking trail +gps, and fishing map). The fishing map doesnt need to be nearly as advanced as the one fishbrain uses, and is more of a optional bit. Ideally it would have rechargeable batteries and have a small solar panel.

Attached: Fishbrain.png (238x270, 51K)

So?

duly noted

This is OP

Im wondering how realistic this idea is, and whether its worth putting time into. I plan on going innawoods a lot after I move to the PNW.

Always worth the try, do release it when you are done

What would be a good base device for it? (Adruino, pi, etc) I have a lot to learn and need some suggestions. Also, what language should I use to code? I'm thinking Linux, but I want to make sure before I commit to it. I plan to add a touch screen, so it needs to be compatible with that.

Christ Almighty, the cringe level of this post, honestly OP you're better off hiring someone on upwork or elancer.com.

The fact that you dont know the difference between a programming language and a OS/Kernel (inb4 stallman fags) makes me feel it would take you at least a year before you're able to make something of the magnitude you're thinking of.

Having it reliably recognise plants might be a tall order, especially if it's about edibility, Also many solar solutions for phones require a batterypack.

Attached: 9114756.jpg (539x539, 18K)

I'm fine with it taking time. This project would serve two purposes: having a device like the one I described for myself and for others, and building skills. Im in an IT class at my high school and we've really only covered hardware, so my bad for not knowing much about the software side of things ig. I want to learn, and get experience, not just hire someone to do it. Now, do you have any *useful* suggestions.

I planned on adding rechargeable batteries, and I'm likely going to limit the plants to the PNW. Plantsnap has roughly 92% reliability which is a very good start. I assume I would just need to have the storage for the plant database, a decent camera, and a program to cycle through the pictures on the storage device and match the closest one to the photo being taken.

>Now, do you have any *useful* suggestions
Yes, give up.

The type of thing you want takes 4 years in embedded systems. This isn't something you can do before you go off to college underage B& faggot.

BTW the fact that you come to Jow Forums first before even googling(or God forbid, figuring out the basics on your own) the basics makes you unfit to program.

I'm sure I don't need to attend college for 4 years and spend thousands of dollars to learn to make a touchscreen plant identifier and hiking map. I figured you guys would be able to give me some feedback, and give some good suggestions and constructive critism (I.e. not "give up faggot"). I honestly dont know where to start in terms of software, and that's why I came here.

Dude, you are a little too full of yourself. Pick up any programming language and learn the basic algorithms first (C if you're not a complete brainlet or Python if you are) first and do some cli projects to get you up to speed. You have no experience, but are SURE that a giant project that requires vector math (touchscreen) will be easier then what you think it is. Not only will you have to learn a lower level language like C (or you could stick to python if you dont care too much about performance), but you'll also have to learn to build a GUI and communicate with a database that has been indexed. basically do youre research first before coming to Jow Forums expecting help when you couldnt even be bothered to research some basic points first.

>I don't know where to start
>lmao who needs college to do this
Pick one.
Also, underage b&.

Lmao
> I don’t need anyone to teach me

Yeah.. I spent 4 years in college because I’m an idiot huh? Those 4 years got me to where I understood why to write a certain way. You won’t have a clue what the fuck to do in any sort of matter.

Exactly this, doing this alone with experience would take years to get an usable product, without experience is completely impossible.

Alright, thank you. This is what I was looking for. I know python has a lot of uses as a language , but dont know a whole lot about c, c#,c++,etc. For a project like this, would python or C be better? I understand python will be more difficult. I didn't realize touchscreen required vector math, and now I do. The whole reason I came here is because I didn't even know what to start looking into first. I appreciate you giving me a place to start, at the very least.

The plant identifier might need to connect to the internet to do its image recognition magic, so I would check that for sure

>Implying I'm underaged because I'm in highschool
I'm a senior, 18.

Not saying college isnt valuable, I just previously assumed the project wouldn't be *that* difficult without college. I'd like to learn how to code, and everyone here has likely been where I'm at right now: Not knowing much, but with a desire to learn.

Never said that. Literally never said anything like that. I don't think college is stupid for STEM, I just dont plan on spending that much of my life on that. I plan on being an electrician, and going to a trade school for it.

>tfw i remember also when I was young, dumb and full of cum.
Okay, OP. Try and follow along, partly I feel bad for you, partly the Christian in me says I should help you no matter how cringe inducing your sense of knowledge is.

>First
Pick up python and learn the ABSOLUTE BASICS of programming. Variables, Scope, Iterables, Conditionals, Functions, Objects, etc etc. DO this before you even have another thought about your project.

>SECOND
Do some simple CLI projects so you see the workflow of an interpreted language like python and how it calls modules and functions, etc. I recommend a calculator or a text adventure rpg.

>THIRD
Once you've gotten AT LEAST a month of practice in the ABSOLUTE BASICS (which is what python is good at teaching, but it also gives you a lot of bad habits in relation to memory management, which may or may not effect your project, again I think it would be possible to do the whole thing in python, but I have no idea if python has any touchscreen libs...more on touchscreen in a sec) Now you can branch out to other languages or start learning about algorithms like bisectional search and trees.

>FOURTH
Once you have practiced in another language for a month or two (at this point I would recommend a compiled language like c or cpp) Now you can start thinking about how to put your project together here are some tips:

> You will need a relational database so your program functions can call the data they need to display, so start learning SQL
> You will need to learn about GUIs, start with Tkinter or Qt although both tend to be shit, I'm pretty sure they are both in python
>Want a plant photo identifier, better start learning machine learning algorithms
>touchscreen? I hope you liked linear algebra and calculus because you're working on planes and not with pretty pictures
>wnt it portable and to carry it with you? Get a SoC and pracitce, practice, practice programming on the SoC

I was concerned about that. I may be able to find a way around that by storing the photos on the device, rather than it needing to compare I to an online database? I know that will take up a huge amount of storage for that though. I'll look into it more, thank you.

I cant be bothered to find the resources I saved, since I need to get ready for work, but If this thread is around in 4-5 hours, I'll look for them on my lunch.

Good luck, OP. You're going to need it.

Okay, thank you. Do you have any resources you would suggest for learning python, SQL, qt, tkinter, MLA, c, or cpp?

Didnt take calc so rip me. I'll have to learn that or get in touch with someone who can help with that.

Lastly, what is a SoC? Not finding anything relevant when I search that

I appreciate it. I honestly did not mean to come off as a know-it-all lmao. I just didn't quite realize the magnitude of this kind of project Doesn't deter me though. I want to learn, and by God, I'm going to.

wouldn't the plant identifier require internet? all the ones i seen until now do.

If this thread is dead by then, my email is
[email protected]

Its just a burner email I use for miscellaneous things.

Why not cellphone+otterbox+solar charger+apps w/offline data.
Not sure which apps you need that have offline data (maps and translation exist) or why you can't just also use pdfs to supplement.

I suppose that could work, but Im not aware of any offline apps that can do what I'm looking to do.

I never really got an answer as to what I should use for a base device. I have minor experience with pi, but I'm willing to get familiar with other things as well. What would you guys suggest?