/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1473341453190.jpg (612x816, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration
opensource.com/article/18/5/bash-tricks
reddit.com/r/commandline/comments/9udeyn/bash_tips_for_everyday_at_the_command_line/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: flube.gif (460x405, 98K)

Attached: 1538441156487.png (200x300, 47K)

Here we go again

Attached: stallman.jpg (1880x1634, 555K)

Hey Jow Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

Attached: 1541431337593.png (800x800, 596K)

one
last
time

Attached: Gnu.gif (419x289, 5K)

Was it Jow Forums's doing?

R.I.P. Ian.

Attached: 1541431450414.png (1025x767, 848K)

How does one backup and sync his dotfiles and stuff?
My idea is to make 2 scripts to backup and restore files while keeping the directory hierarchy, (example backup script):
cp -f ~/.vimrc backup-dir/
rm -rf backup-dir/.mozilla/firefox/default/chrome
cp -rf ~/.mozilla/firefox/default/chrome backup-dir/.mozilla/firefox/default

etc, etc. Then I could git init in one directory above backup-dir, and keep track of all files and scripts versions as well as push them to some remote repository as a backup.
Is there a better way to handle this?

GNU stow

Windows

>this explanation needed an image

What are some cool Free Software related podcasts?

>Stow is implemented as a combination of a Perl script providing a CLI interface, and a backend Perl module which does most of the work. Stow is Free Software, licensed under the GNU General Public License.
hhnnnggg
thanks user, I'm in for a GNU/ride

Do emacs guys use the GUI or the -nw ?

>sudo apt-get install girlfriend
>error: no installation candidate

Attached: 6A780825-8F18-48CC-9352-6A78F67F0BA5.jpg (640x674, 53K)

Am I doomed to have bad quality screen recording with obs and an AMD card?

when I open certain links in some programs it'll open the wine internet explorer and keep spawning multiple instances until I kill the process. I tried setting the default browser in the Default Applications thing in KDE but it resets every time I set it. What's going on here?

How is using Parabola as an everyday desktop OS? Is the lack of non-free software an issue at all?

Gentoo

Maybe try hyperbola instead

Have you tried apt instead of apt-get?

dnf install girlfriend
Error: Unable to find a match

why?

apt search girlfriend
>Sorting... Done
>Full Text Search... Done
>trannie amd64
>anime-girl amd64
>landwhale amd64

sudo apt install anime-girl

Thoughts on Wicd as an alternative to NetworkManager?

The sticky should say
help %{builtin,keyword}%
instead of
help %command%

Attached: CopyQ.zNCYip.png (700x700, 38K)

>touch girls
>you have no permission to touch

I can fake-root into her mainframe though can't I?

How do you figure stow is a better tool than git there?

Is it more stable to set up NFS on a Windows PC to sync with a Linux NAS, or would it be better to get Samba working on Linux?

I'm trying to add new fonts on urxvt but I'm stuck with something on xorg. I read that I need to add the font paths to /etc/x11/xorg.conf.d, but this path is actually a folder, and the confs inside don't seem to be anything related to what I need. Pls help this brainlet

why does creating new directories directly under / feels as if im doing something horribly wrong

GNU/Linux*

What's the best aur helper nowadays? Apparently yaourt became abadonware while I wasn't looking.

Because it is.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration

is creating it anywhere else besides /home any better? under /usr for example?

It highly depends on what you want to do.
Name some exsmples. Also read man hier to get an overview about the GNU/Linux filesystem in general.

They're both very reliable. Usually the only time you want to bother with NFS is if you need minimal overhead for 10GB+ connections or if you're on a *nix only network.

>man hier
Neat

well, i cant hide the fact that i have ran out of space for muh games. I have created home partition after root one so if i want to resize home at the expense of root i would have to shrink root and move home to the left, and i am more than nervous about that. so my alternative is to create another directory somewhere besides /home which will serve as another steam directory At least i dont have to move root

that's fine

I had a vps (not mine, but whatever) in some shithole-stan half the world away. From time to time it had some problems, like high load average seemingly out of nowhere, random freezes and lags and whatnot. But at least I didn't have to pay for it. Eventually it went down completely and I gave up on it. Today I've logged into google search console and noticed that google bot has managed to access the web page that was hosted on that vps. There are like 2-3 successful GET requests each month. Meaning the vps isn't completely dead.

Wat do? How do I get in and fix this shit? The only way of access I have is root ssh. At the moment the vps is unresponsive to both ping and ssh attempts.

Attached: 1.jpg (326x326, 18K)

how do you know there is successful GET requests from google bot if you can't ssh to view the logs?

If you have hardware which doesn't need proprietary drivers, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Crawl stats in google search console.

current state of red hat
>make pre-babby bash tips post
>opensource.com/article/18/5/bash-tricks
>no (You)s
>shill in leddit
>reddit.com/r/commandline/comments/9udeyn/bash_tips_for_everyday_at_the_command_line/
>no (You)s
>go to bed
>try not to cry
>cry

don't they offer some sort of web ui where you can reboot and shiet?

>no manual entry
y u bamboozled me

Install GNU/Linux.

what is fine? shifting /home? that would be the most elegant option i have but there is always a little bit of uncertainty that something might end up fucked
also didnt windows permit to resize partiions at runtime? loonix, or at least gparted wont do it while mounted, also extending file system doesnt work on runtime while shrinking root so im only left with live usb right?

>opensource.com
Enemy of freedom.

Attached: 1541440123720.png (720x1219, 196K)

They do but I don't have access to it. The vps was bought and set up by some other dude who had all the credentials. All I have is ssh.

Are you sure you're trying the correct IP? Check the A record of the site that's hosted there (assuming no load balancers inbetween).
It doesn't necessarily have to respond to ping but ssh should still work. Did it have fail2ban configured? Could be that something you did got your IP banned.

I'm sure the IP is the correct one. The A record from the domain google bot used is still the same. It didn't have fail2ban but I've tried to connect through a proxy just in case. Traceroute/mtr goes directly to the last hop where the vps used to be but now the last hop is silent. So the network between me and vps is fine.

I'm thinking it's just a software issue on the vps itself. Some process went full retard and munching on the resources or there is a fork bomb or something like that.

If I make an endless bash loop with ssh in it what should I use as the command to execute on vps? Assuming I can get through. ps wauxf just to see what's going on?

df -h

i installed free pascal
i installed the ide

when i made a program and try to compile
it says "can't find unit system used by ***** "
what does it mean and how can i fix it?

Attached: 1540829725366.jpg (539x405, 114K)

unironically Gentoo. if you don't want a million years of compile time (ie youre running a core 2 duo), then grab either clover os or nixos

I think most use the GUI. But I'm just guessing, and I don't use emacs myself.

man head

what are some cool GNU Bash tricks

How do I manage /tmp and /var/tmp files? In windows it was safe to clean out any temp folders (under most circumstances). However I cleaned out /tmp and on reboot pulseaudio had reset to default volume levels. Does the OS clean these regularly (I saw something systemd related enabled)?

You don't manage them, the OS does it for you.
They are cleared at each reboot, no need for cleaning.

ssh dedvps 'ps wauxf; echo; df -h; echo; free -m; echo; uptime'

In the endless loop. Now all I can do is hope for the best.

Hello. I am trying to use localroot exploits on my Vmware Linux. I ran successfully an exploit called Dirtycow on my machine. Unfortunately now, it spits out errors of this nature:
tcsetattr: Invalid argument

Is there a way to revert this? I mean, I can just reinstall Linux VM but I wanted to solve it without doing that. Any ideas? Google does not provide a direct solution. I am using Ubuntu.

yay

info coreutils

Pure GNU bash GET request.
exec 3/dev/tcp/wttr.in/80; printf 'GET /Berlin HTTP/1.1\r\nConnection: close\r\nHost: wttr.in\r\nUser-Agent: curl\r\n\r\n' >&3; while IFS='' read -r line; do printf -- '%s\n' "${line}"; done &-

Install Gentoo

Is it worth pulling over 100mbs of go dependencies? Doesn't really matter on desktop, but I'm pretty short on space on my netbook.

My script wont run when starting my session.
In my .xinitrc it contains:
exec dwm
~/dwm_status &

I made sure what the script is made executable with chmod +x, but still nothing. If I run this script myself it shows.

Why did the NSA do it?..

How do I animate this in my lock screen?

Attached: 1525472602250.gif (800x600, 174K)

faggot, he's been posting that exact same post since forever

Now that RHEL is killing KDE, is it still worth using on Fedora?

>RHEL is killing KDE
Finally.

Gentoomans, please do recommend me some decent fonts. I have noto-ttf package installed, but for whatever reason my terminal (Konsole) and firefox refuse to use Noto Sans Mono as a monospace font for some reason.

Huh, not exactly what I wanted to type, but I think I made my point clear. lol

Do you have a .xsession that source .xinitrc?

What does exec do?

use systemd instead

>look guys I can't install debian

RHEL doesn't have XFCE, LXDE, MATE, ... either but they do alright in Fedora. It's not as closely coupled to RHEL as most here seem to imagine.

Fixed it, all I did was just reverse the order.
exec below, the script first.

Do they send assassins or how are they going to achieve that?

The exec line must be the last line. Make sure and it will work.

Is there a point of using others than the one in rhel? Its obvious that they will put more effort into default one and neglect others.

i approve this pasta, it's useful to see how many newfriends are itt

>Is there a point of using others than the one in rhel?
Gnome is a piece of shit code by noobs.

>recommending a Jow Forums meme distro
>recommending NixOS instead of GuixSD

Attached: 1541349467303.jpg (600x376, 37K)

> recommending jewish communist (((free software)))

Linux looks very interesting, even if some of the screen colours and menu options appear to be a little out of the ordinary.

But you are missing a vital point, a point which takes some experience and depth of knowledge in the field of computers. You see, when a computer boots up, it needs to load various drivers and then load various services. This happens long before the operating system and other applications are available.

Linux is a marvellous operating system in its own right, and even comes in several different flavours. However, as good as these flavours are, they first need Microsoft Windows to load the services prior to use.

In Linux, the open office might be the default for editing your wordfiles, and you might prefer ubuntu brown over the grassy knoll of the windows desktop, but mark my words young man - without the windows drivers sitting below the visible surface, allowing the linus to talk to the hardware, it is without worth.

And so, by choosing your linux as an alternative to windows on the desktop, you still need a windows licence to run this operating system through the windows drivers to talk to the hardware. Linux is only a code, it cannot perform the low level function.

My point being, young man, that unless you intend to pirate and steal the Windows drivers and services, how is using the linux going to save money ? Well ? It seems that no linux fan can ever provide a straight answer to that question !

May as well just stay legal, run the Windows drivers, and run Office on the desktop instead of the linus.

Please stop. That's not even funny.

That's what your mom said.

Low quality bait there

Attached: low-quality-bait.jpg (340x191, 4K)

is that guy still alive?

Thinking of switching to debian. I've been using ubuntu so far and I often find myself compiling from source to get the newest releases so I'd like to switch to a bleeding edge distro that is as stable as possible. Should I use testing or unstable for my purposes? How stable are they, say compared to arch? Should I just use arch?

Attached: 1540540166538.gif (750x500, 18K)

> Its obvious that they will put more effort into default one and neglect others
By that logic KDE users should only run Neon and GNOME users should only run Fedora, and these two together would be like 90% of the install base. It's almost as if integrating these DEs with other distros isn't actually that hard, and different considerations drive most people.

Ubuntu and debian Sid are not that far apart. I'd go for Arch if you want even more bleeding edge. Fedora has plenty of good stuff too.