/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Butterfly Edition

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 701c.jpg (1215x1734, 228K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jUibaPTXSHk
gnome-look.org/browse/cat/109/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

post ur freedumbpads

Attached: IMG_0717.jpg (4032x3024, 1.44M)

i got an x250 for 200$ shipping incluided, did i do good, Jow Forums?

To the L520 user, cooling is cucky, CPU might have been swapped. But would still be fine for what you use it

I'm considering buying my first personal laptop soon.

How long do thinkpads usually lasts? Is it a good programming laptop (java and devops, so you know it can be heavy)?

Are parts easily upgradeable?

PLS RESPOND

Attached: 1541277659104.jpg (1280x720, 66K)

decent

No offence but why the fuck would I buy some shitty old laptop that's probably go some sweaty fat neckbeard faggot's grease all over it?

You got a folder of these ads somewhere?

I'll clean the grease before sending it, I promise.

Is that a battery for the disk drive slot?
And does it matter to performing libreboot if you swapped out the cpu?

thanks, but i gess i'll should ask for half the price if he swaped the cpu (it also have 4G ram and the old 320G HDD so he's selling for a way to high price anyway)

\>How long do thinkpads usually lasts?
Performance wise, even the 2013 models perform really well compared to modern systems. You could even go with the later Core2Duo systems and get good performance if you use Linux.
Build quality is about the best that you can get before your laptop turns into a ToughBook (the shit military uses in the field). Do regular maintenance (which is much easier compared with other laptops) and there's no reason it should die on you for years and years to come.

>Is it a good programming laptop
The keyboard is the best out of any other laptop on the market. The older keyboards (like the ones found in the X220 and T420) could pass for desktop keyboards, but the typing feel on the new keyboards is still pretty great. Some older T-series models can have quad core processors which is pretty helpful and 16GB of RAM. If you want more the new P-series can have hex-core Xeons and 32GB of RAM.

>Are parts easily upgradeable?
Depends on the model. The X-series has always had soldered in CPUs, and the modern ones even come with soldered in RAM, IIRC. The T-series stopped having upgradable CPUs with the T440p. Beyond that, most ThinkPads have storage and RAM easily accessible. Display upgrade isn't terribly difficult either. Lenovo have hardware maintenance manuals available right on their website, so you can easily see how to replace any given component.

yes
no but if its a t60 check the lcd panel to make sure its compatible

No matter how much you clean it you can never wipe away the shame from all that 2d nip shit you fap to 6 times a day.

Based. Do you get a lot of mileage out of it?

Why should I be ashamed? 2D women are superior, this is a well known fact.

Attached: 3dpd.jpg (638x696, 126K)

Which models sport that feature?

works for browsing, email, music, animes, shitposting. regular Jow Forums loser stuff

yes

I have this issue with my Thinkpad where it completely freezes for a couple of seconds every few minutes. This only happens on battery power, not when it's plugged in so I think it's something to do with the power settings. Any ideas? It's a Thinkpad Yoga 260 and I'm on Windows 10.

Has anyone on here actually swapped out the panel on a w520 for a real IPS one?

Thinkpad forums have lots of info on “panel upgrades”, until you look up the panels they used on panellook and realized they just swapped tn-shit to tn-shit.

I’m looking at buying a w520 and putting in the LP156WF4(SL)(B1). I’ll only buy a W520 if the IPS swap is possible and not too difficult (i.e. no fragile handmade cable bullshit)

Thoughts?

Attached: 5B4DFEC4-A7AD-430E-94F3-3FEA09FC8074.jpg (600x572, 215K)

Only the 701C does AFAIK.

Good luck finding one in decent condition though. One I just looked at on eBay was going for $300 and looked like it took a trip through the sandpaper and chunky concrete factory given how beat up it was.

T420 keyboard replacing:
are all FRU numbers made with equal quality?
t. bought a 45N2141 broke 7 months later and tactlility is much lower than my friend's (not sure what FRU his keyboard has)

Attached: 1264439898787.png (406x438, 46K)

>bios locked by supervisor password

feels fucking bad

Attached: classic-sad-frog.jpg (650x650, 37K)

Just unplug the BIOS battery?

give it back

It doesnt work on Thinkpads.

No way, it must have some additional power source then, look for a capacitor near it probably

nope, password stored in an eeprom which doesn't need a battery. xx30 & older you gotta short the scl & sda pins on startup.

xx40 and newer the password is secured in some better way so yer fucked on those

the W520 is literally the best TN panel put into a laptop. Miles ahead of everything but the very highest end end IPS.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Attached: 2018-11-05-1541458510.png (1920x1080, 2.02M)

i have a t440p but i want a 1080p ips screen and bigger ram
does it have to be fru whitlisted or any can do?
i dont get those auo or lg screens for the 440p in my country its very hard

Where do you guys get your thinkpad spare parts? Need to replacements and ebay seems overpriced

Corporate building dumpsters

I don't need spare parts because thinkpads never break.

I accidentally won an auction for a 1440x900 T400 with ati. 50 bucks with shipping included.
Should I pay or do I back out? I already have 2 T400's but they're both 1280x800 CCFL

Attached: Comfy_NEET_Blapu.png (704x604, 232K)

Any way to remove cigarette smell from a thinkpad?

>yeah man it’s a stinking heap of dogshit
>but as far as stinking dogshit goes, it’s the best! slightly less smelly than that other shit!

Oh, you're another plebbit nigger who thinks that TN=bad
go back.

So are older Thinkpads the only way to go to remain free from MOSSAD niggers?

>650:1 contrast
>over 100% of srgb
>looks fine up to 85 degrees
>but muh ips

actually one of the best lcds ever put in a thinkpad and you're being a little piss baby because of some weird value system you built up in your mind after reading too many reddit posts

yep

@68373899

>whiteknighting a literal PANEL DISPLAY TECHNOLOGY

Attached: C1F596D7-C32B-4DEE-BF6A-A2F360621785.png (516x656, 500K)

What does Stallman use?

youtu.be/jUibaPTXSHk

Attached: 1540247582809.jpg (413x311, 40K)

Are there any thinkpads that doesn't have an SD card slot? Do the current gens still have them?

>looks fine to me!

Attached: 701C5B19-75AB-4056-B1B6-2AD5AF9E6EE9.jpg (547x411, 99K)

Will Thinkpad trackpoint nubs work in my Dell Precision M4800?

I miss my T420/430 feel

Attached: 20181103_191052.jpg (1738x978, 506K)

is t60 15 inch good for 38 usd with battery power adapter and hdd

Any reason why it shouldn't? Physically they both look the same - a pointing stick.

name ONE reason I shouldn't buy an HP Envy x360 with Ryzen 5 2500u and active stylus support. Goes for 652$.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1500x1000, 202K)

Differing dimensions for the pointing stick. I wouldn't put it past any company to use different measurements to avoid patent infringement.

Shoddy build quality.

nice humblebrag faggot

My Lenovo G550 lasted me almost a decade before the HDD died. I replaced it with another HDD and it still works and it will keep working. I don't throw my laptop down a staircase and I don't run a chainsaw through it. I don't need an actual tank of a laptop.

Attached: g550.jpg (530x430, 33K)

Surface Pros exists and is actually made/designed from early on to be 2in1s

WHY IS MY x220 SO HOT

they are always like that

I DONT KNOW DID YOU TRY REPLACING THE THERMAL PASTE AND CLEANING THE FAN AND HEATSINK FINS

Do msata ssd drives get very hot?
I just put a salvaged one in my T430 and these two cables are pressed against it, it even bulges the cover a tiny bit.
Is it ok or is this a fire hazard?
Also what are those two cables?

I DID BOTH AND IT'S STILL A SPACE HEATER MY x230 JUST WERKS WHY IS THIS A THING

If a buy a t440p keyboard from GZEELE in Ali I'm gonna get chinked?

Any recommendations?

Attached: 1541434178934.jpg (472x605, 241K)

Arranged to trade my HD 6670 for a t61 locally. Only apparent issue is the smell of cigarettes. Wish me luck lads.

How can you store all your stuff on a older thinkpad?

Where's the trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1535314171406.jpg (1280x1280, 780K)

x220 with coreboot and grub. i got work on making grub look "pretty". does anyone know how to change the 'gnu grub' text to something else?

Attached: IMG_1105.jpg (4032x3024, 1.57M)

This might be of interest: gnome-look.org/browse/cat/109/

not exactly what was looking for and i found my answer already. though i appreciate the help.
you have to build grub from source(i did already for my coreboot payload). it's hardcoded into grub/grub-core/normal/main.c. i'll try it tomorrow since i'm about to go to bed.

with me

Attached: 1538080271061.jpg (1280x1280, 710K)

i found an x20 laying around is that libre-bootable?

Does anyone here own a A485? Thinking of getting one just for playing old games while I'm on business travel. Mostly concerned with thermals and whether the mobile ryzen is even worth anything.

Why does this garbage general even exist?

There's no one who lurks that's particularly interested in helping people.

Attached: woodblock printing.jpg (1053x800, 186K)

Attached: FaceApp_1535314286459.jpg (1280x1280, 787K)

hey im in the market for a new laptop but not trying to break the bank so probably $350 max
all im gonna be using it for is internet, vegas, photoshop, and fl studio

any reccs?

Hey trapgays, is there a laptop as cute as the X120e but with more modern specs?

I have some autismal needs for security, let's say I buy a new thinkpad like T480 or something like that, if I use bios password and use bios hdd password and let's say this laptop gets stolen, how hard would it be for someone to get to my data? Or would I also need to use software side full disk encryption to be safe-ish?

I have a T510 that turned off in the middle of web browsing, and won't come back on. I've:
>reseated the RAM, tried different modules
>reseated the CMOS battery
>done the one weird trick where you hold the power button down without the battery in
>looked inside for obvious blown caps, etc
but to no avail. What broke, Jow Forums? It was so sudden ):

last i checked, it was just about impossible to remove the bios password on most thinkpad models

so you should be ok

Bios password I'm not too worried about but if it's stolen then they have physical access to my system so then if ssd is not protected in any way they can just plug it in to different system, what about then?

I patched my BIOS via hardware and didn't break anything!

if that's your concern i'd encrypt my disk either way

To the guy who helped me yesternight about the x230 whacked GPU, thanks, I did the lid test and it goes into sleep mode without a problem, furthermore, I found no problems / corrosion on the motherboard. I will check out a few repair shops etc. Just wanted to say, thanks for your help dude!

Bump, any ideas?

Yesterday my x220 started giving me a 2100 HDD0 error. Should I just replace the hard drive or is the motherboard fucked?

IIRC the T400-T420 don't have them

I only fap to gay furry snuff, thank you very much

install ubuntu
check the “encrypt this drive” box during installation

that’s literally it

What about windows, is there an easy solution like that as well?

You cannot start it at all or are you able to boot into safe mode? Check the outlet connection, if the indicators are working for the battery, try it with and without basically. Also might be a good idea to test it with another HDD. Also check and reapply thermal paste to the CPU and GPU. Do not force it till you do these. If you can run in safe mode, run a general test of all hardware.

Check the HDD with a pc if you can.

No, the newer the windows the more bloat and backdoors you get. I would not even trust their encryption tools.

Nothing happens; I press the power button and the LEDs flash briefly, but nothing ever appears on screen. The CPU fan spins for a brief second as well.

I haven't thought about removing the HDD... Would it make a difference?

When it switched off did you get glitching on the screen or anything like tearing? Could be something overheating on the motherboard, that is my first guess. You can try starting it without the HDD but it will not go far anyway. Alternatively you can try to boot from usb if you have a portable system, that would be great.

Does it force restart after the LED flashes btw? So meaning, does it repeat this over and over again?

Nope, it just went dark like the power was immediately cut off. (Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe the internal power supply went bad?)
>you can try to boot from usb if you have a portable system
I can't even get that far, the machine is pretty much dead
It doesn't; LEDs and thinklight flash for half a second, then nothing

The high-gamut panel in the W520/530 is fucking glorious. I'm looking at one right now. I also have an IPS display on the desk for reference. tbqh senpai if you want to be a dick about it just by a fucking macbook and be done with it.

this

X60 or X61 with libreboot iirc

Anything wrong with a t460? Was looking at that or a t450, my friend said to avoid the 60's because the cpu's can lock up or something from that generation? T450 is cheaper, so looks good, but can't find one with a 1080p screen

I need help, what can i do to make usage of my t40, can it still be usable in 2018?

it'll make a decent paperweight

I am thinking it has to do with power itself as you suggest or something overheating on the motherboard. If you can open it up and check, would be the best option.