Why don't all CPUs have a low-level APU for troubleshooting? you are fucked if your GPU blows up

why don't all CPUs have a low-level APU for troubleshooting? you are fucked if your GPU blows up

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-APU_Ryzen-5-2400G-and-Ryzen-3-2200G-Desktop-APUs[1].jpg (2000x1125, 272K)

I thought CPUs with an APU were the standard nowadays

Not for everyone, up until 2017 AMD fx chips needed a GPU unless the board was super low end and had an onboard igp.

It's the only reason im not buying ryzen. I don't why my whole system to be rendered useless if my graphics card shits the bed.

You mean IGP.
APU isn't the name for integrated graphics, APU is a style of processor that tightly integrates CPU+IGP with coherent memory between the two for higher throughput in compute workloads.

Though I agree with your sentiment for different reasons. The IGP is a useful accelerator and can be utilized without taxing the discrete GPU at all. Intel has long leveraged the IGP for things like video encoding with quick sync, and AMD should do the same with their HSA benefits.

Only from intel in the desktop space.
AMD's Ryzen processors have no IGP.

Why would you want to pay ~30$ for something that basically never happens unless you are screwing with the BIOS, even though when it does happen you are certain to buy a new GPU anyway? This is like those people who tried to justify the 7740x.

Are you really willing to pay that sort of premium for something that will almost certainly not happen? Just buy more insurance or something.

Intel doesn't have this problem. My 2011 sandybridge CPU has a shitty integrated GPU to fall back on in case my GTX 1060 dies.

you actually want the amd zen igpu to run freesync on a nvidia card op :^)

What would be really 10/10 stellar is if a new generation of Ryzen CPUs had and IGP, and you could use it to do GPU pass through with a discrete GPU.
That would be absolutely incredible.

If by "premium" you mean an extra $50 for intel as opposed to an extra $400 for a replacement gpu, then yes I am very willing.

Why? You are paying that much for something that will almost certainly not happen. Are you also just going to completely give up on using GPUs and never bother getting a new one afterwards? What is the point?

>save 30 shekels on the cpu
>drop in your old card or buy one for less than 30 shekels

the integrated graphics of an intel CPU aren't equivalent to a $400 GPU, dumbass.

If you need uptime then you need spare parts on hand. If you don't have any, you'll have to buy a replacement of any given part that fails. It might not be the GPU that fucks you over. Do you not have an extra pc or a bin full of old GPU, ram, hard disks, motherboards and so on? If not why make a fuss about the GPU in particular?

because if you're going to add a dedicated GPU anyway the die area is better used for more CPU stuff.

The point is I'd rather not have an unusable computer while I save up enough money to buy a gpu.
I never said it was you dumb retard.
I don't have spare parts, I've never built a PC before. I'm making a fuss about the gpu because it's the only thing you don't particularly need to have a functional computer, unless you have a ryzen chip.

$50 alone is already enough for a used GPU that is infinity times better than an IGPU. If you just think about it in the long run you can imagine what a waste this is. Imagine you buy 10 computers in the future, 50$ premium each time for something that (being very generous) happens once. Congrats, you spent $500 on being able to use a vastly slower computer for a couple days at most. If you had insurance like this for every other component, some that actually have a much higher chance of being faulty, you'd be spending 500$ more each time, enough for a whole new computer. I don't get how people can be this bad with money.

>IGP
>functional
It is a waste of die space that people buying high end CPUs don't give a shit about. All having one does is encourage Best Buy monstrosity $1000 computers with no dedicated GPU and people equating your brand with that garbage.

Attached: 1455927433863.jpg (455x628, 64K)

>I don't have spare parts, I've never built a PC before
You need to be 18 or older to browse this website

Thunk this then. You can go on Ebay and get a basic ass pci-e graphics card for $10 or one as good as a ps4 for $40. One time. You can use this extra for any problem in any computer, and it's still cheaper than paying the $50 premium even one time.

u r dumb

I just have this thing called money that allows me to buy a new gpu the next day.

Dude, just get any shit card for literally free from the garbage bin just in case your GPU dies.

Then just buy a 10$ or less old ass GPU off ebay you mongoloid

You know not everyone wants the space on the silicon taken up by IGP dye, most people would want a better CPU if they're buying a desktop. You can literally just buy some shit $20 GPU if you need to troubleshoot.

Heat buildup and lack of space on the CPU's PCB.
If you have a CPU which already hits 60 degrees, adding a GPU (even a small one) will make the temp jump even more.
Not to mention the GPU will take up space which would be better spent on more CPU.

Intel does have this problem if you're not a poor person with a low end desktop. No iGPU wasting die space on my Xeon.

Because it's a waste of die space. And no, I'm not fucked if my graphics card dies, because I have two RX 580s sitting around as spares.

You're fucking stupid. You could buy a spare used card to act as a display adapter in an emergency from Ebay for a lot less than the price difference between Ryzen and Intel. But then I'm sure your handler has given you an excuse to use for why this suggestion doesn't work for you.

>you are fucked if your GPU blows up
I agree that it's quite annoying that consumer boards from AMD don't have a GPU and the CPUs don't either. It really doesn't have to be on the CPU, btw. There's server boards with a VGA output on the motherboard and I still have a very old Athlon II X3 system with a Radeon r600 chip and dedicated 128k RAM (not exactly much) on the motherboard. Modern AM4 boards could have had that, they already have graphics outputs in the back, so it wouldn't take much. But it's probably just a matter of cost.

>Why would you want to pay ~30$ for something that basically never happens unless you are screwing with the BIOS
Yes. And I already did that, I bought one of those nvidia 710 fanless GPUs. It's too weak to be usable for anything, it's basically like a Intel iGPU (or worse?). It gives a video output if I need to go into the BIOS or otherwise fix a mostly headless server (like if a HDD dies or something).

Basic video capability on AM4 boards would probably push price up like $20 and I am guessing vendors figure that they would sell far less if their board was $20 more expensive (and had that feature) compared to other boards.

the real problem is the likelihood of having to install new drivers when you switch a card

Basically this.

Why would you add ~10% to the cost of EVERY single CPU you buy when you can instead just get a used old GPU that works for $20?

An iGPU doesn't really help with trouble shooting because if the iGPU doesn't work, and dGPU doesn't work, that still doesn't tell you much when you don't have another dGPU that you can verify works yet doesn't work in the non-working machine.

>In the same thread AMDrones say "it's cheaper", then go on to say "just spend more money xD"

Insufferable

Intel CPUs (all mainstream at least, HEDT and Xeons could be excluded depending on which one you get) does have built-in video graphics for just your example (post).

AMD is a sore thumb in this regards with their CPUs as it has taken a long time to catch up with Intel (and are arguable not 100% there yet but are definitely good enough for most users) in terms of performance and power consumption, but a pure CPU does have it's own design merits (not having a weak and almost unused in-built GPU that barely gets used, consumes power and is an additional part that could fail in a computer although the last point is unlikely but possible).

Downside with those Ryzen APU with the Vega graphics is that the onboard graphics is so powerful (more so than the in-built Intel video graphics for now) that it literally eats into the PCI-E lanes so if you want a graphics card you also need to upgrade to a CPU (no built in graphics) from the APU that will work with the existing motherboard (not likely an issue after a BIOS update, etc).

Personally I am fine with their being Pure CPUs and that onboard graphics from the motherboard are a thing of the past.
I am confident to troubleshoot my PC if anything goes from and that is generally what spare parts are for (graphics cards particularly, physical slot for 2.0 and 3.0 are mostly consistent and can be used to some degree for such troubleshoots for failed Graphics card).

>you are fucked if your GPU blows up
This is why you don't load your gpu up with thermite.

>Why would you want to pay ~30$ for something that basically never happens unless you are screwing with the BIOS, even though when it does happen you are certain to buy a new GPU anyway? This is like those people who tried to justify the 7740x.
You can use it with win10 to use freesync with nvidia cards.

Intel had integrated graphics for eons, sure they weren't blazing fast but they work for basic stuff and the newest ones from 3 years ago can actually run games at 1080p

AMD is just too dumb and too poor to implement them on their current architecture, their drones would love to imply that IGPs don't matter and will just shill you into buying a discrete GPU

...If for some reason your GPU shits the bed and dies, you are going to buy a new one yes or yes. The difference with Ryzen is that you can use the price difference from an equivalent intel chip towards buying a new card.

you act like i don't have a pos 4850 that i bought in 2008 laying around if i need to troubleshoot. there is no excuse for needing a igp. just run to best buy and buy a shitty $30 video card and return it after 30 days if you were to autistic in keeping one of your old video cards.

>I never said it was you dumb retard.
you implied you mongrel.

Attached: 1539102314534.png (1228x1502, 944K)

same reason intel doesn't include a $5 dollar heatsink on their $300 processors

Or I could not pay anything extra for the CPU and in the extremely unlikely event that the GPU does die, I could grab an old one out of my old parts closet. In the cosmically unlikely event that the GPU dies and all of the old ones in my old parts closet also die at the same time, I could just stop at the store on my way home from work and get a GeForce 210 or some other barely functional GPU for $20.

>Or I could not pay anything extra for the CPU
fun fact they don't pass the savings of removing the integrated gpu onto the customer