Linux over Windows

I decided to install Linux because never used it and have heard it can't run gaymes without some kind of emulation
>trying to keep myself from wasting time on gayming

I've stumbled upon elementary OS - it seems the most aesthetic to me. What do u think of elementary? If someone has used it would be cool if you'd drop something about your exp with it.

Attached: 483CBD52-F145-4BAF-94F8-DE34A619F1FF.jpg (800x450, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

protondb.com/
github.com/baskerville/sxhkd
youtube.com/watch?v=2O_r3Ph_eW8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's gay
Arch or bust

Just start with Ubuntu like everyone else. Also, steam will run most games on Linux now thanks to proton.

Elementary isn't too bad. You could of done much worse for sure

>it can't run gaymes without some kind of emulation
It can't run Windows or console games without some kind of emulation. [There are emulators for most consoles BTW, and partial emulation for Windows.]

It runs Linux games (open sauce, on steam and so on) without emulation and some games on Steam also have the Windows emulation bits integrated already.

It's alright for a beginner distro. Just get used to Linux on it and then jump ship to Debian.

and performance compared to windows is how good? will i have to settle for low fps?

> it seems the most aesthetic to me
You can make any of the Linux desktops look like some OSX thing.

But if you like its looks, fine, try it. You'll only find out which distro you like best with some trial and error.

Depends on the game and your hardware.

Just pretend it's generally a bit slower, although it may also be faster depending on the game.

tfw there will never again be a distro as beautiful as Mandriva.

Attached: 1473010029726.jpg (960x1440, 236K)

Not too bad for a starter distro ig. Once you get used to Linux things, distro-hop for a little bit and see what sticks. Even if something doesn't look pleasing at first, a little effort makes anything pleasing

The problem with GNU/Linux is proprietary software that's just not available or working properly, if you for example work as a 3D artist for a living you wouldn't be able to use essential programs like 3DS Max. Which renders it completely useless.

Pick a blue wallpaper. It's about the same.

I honestly didn't find it very pretty or interesting. Sabayon had more unique looks.

Attached: mandriva.png (1024x768, 132K)

DESU you would have been better with Linux Mint

also jumping to debian testing is worth a shot when you get used to linux

had you ever heard of wine and buying software at TPB?

There's a GTAV comparison and I think the Ubuntu PC was ~15fps behind (110fps vs 95).
I tested it out on my 2500k and RX480. In windows, I got stable enough fps to not notice any slowdowns. In Ubuntu with the same settings it was unplayable, and I think it froze a few times. That's just my anecdote though

It's mainly small time artists (who rely on adobecrap, maybe also your autodesk toy) and a few other people who have this issue.

If you're competent be an architect, do your drafts on another CAD software and then render it in Blender for the demo, and it's all fine, you get your hundred thousand dollars, and done.

Or run a national stock market or just about anything computer infrastructure that matters for a medium to large company today. Far more lucrative than being a lowly artist on Windows if money is your goal. Linux runs the world.

Xfce does it better...

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-05_17-16-25.png (1366x768, 1008K)

>elementary OS
Just be sure to pay for what you consume.

Attached: 2018-11-06_00-24-49.png (1180x932, 582K)

protondb.com/

ElementaryOS is pretty shit. Just use Linux Mint or Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Elementary OS is nice, but I felt it was too simple. Installing and using the tweaks tool for it makes it more usable. For my money though, Solus is the best option for an aesthetic and usable distro out of the box.

How do global menus work in linux, do they have hotkeys?

I just installed the packages in the AUR for it, and yes, you program your own hot keys and use the software specific ones too.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-05_21-11-03.png (1366x768, 244K)

github.com/baskerville/sxhkd

You made a good decision because if more people installed Linux over Windows the lame gaming industry would have to migrate over to the superior operating system

post yfw Mandriva One 2007 edition

metisse in the house boys

youtube.com/watch?v=2O_r3Ph_eW8

Katia you fucking pleb

chink botnet

maybe you are the useless one who can only use one app

Attached: 6d5.png (1280x720, 276K)

Don't listen to the morons here retard. Just use whatever you want and stay with it.

this is the right answer, the hive-mind has gone retarded and these faggots are totally useless

>i installed gnu/linux on a whim and I did not research anything beforehand and now my programs wont work
Should've and could've stayed on Windows

Attached: 09fc4e9c91c629ad1da252894c10fb6b68273eda8ecf24ea287525b6beff07b1.png (249x251, 98K)

It's okay. You'll return to Windows in a week anyway

Don't listen to these dick shitters. Unity is acceptance, and there's no reason why you should not join the Arc linux master race. You can install any DE you want, even that really ugly one that people Gnome 3. Those other two guys that are telling you to do what you want to do are telling you to not do what you want to do by telling you to do what you want to do, so I think you should do what you originally wanted to do and do what you want to do. Which is to install Arch Linux. Install the global menu bar. Eat your cake, with the most up to date ingredients. Why use spoiled eggs like Debian when you can install gentoo.

Gentoo. It will keep you from playing games for a while.

> elementary
> no gayming

At least install arch, where Nvidia drivers are a pain to set up right

Not that Manjaro or antergos crap either where they set up everything for you

> Seems most aesthetic

Real talk though, you can install multiple DEs, and you're probably gonna end up on a wm with a bunch of tui everywhere anyways so

Attached: 463f2e5499aa16ee69349c80c36dfabc118d44fb025d38c966ae550e716c419f.png (383x400, 23K)

Ugly font

choosing elementary os is kinda like marrying a girl that you know is a slut and being surprised when she's sucking my nigger dick

That is just a DE, it is an insignificant part of the distro.
>where Nvidia drivers are a pain to set up right
No, it is very simple to set them up in Arch.

Your mom is the comic-sans of people.

You should try this yourself to see how well it works on your hardware. Remember to change Steam settings so it will try to use Proton on every game (unless that's now the default). Steam also has Linux games. Games outside Steam might run very poorly, though.

Gen - and I cannot stress this enough - too

It's been 10 years I'm only using GNU/Linux instead of Winzozz.
Elementary is a fucking cancer, I use arch sometimes debian. I don't use ubuntu e ubuntu-based distros since 12.10... If someone ask me I prefer windows to ubuntu unironically.

Using it right now on my laptop.
It's pretty good once you understand it's workflow.

Regarding GNU/Linux itself. it's a lot worse than Windows in terms of desktop use. Your hardware probably perform worse and some things which you took for granted will not work out of the box. So, if you are not ready for the challenge - stay away, otherwise - welcome to the free world.

Attached: 1521545202088.jpg (960x716, 200K)

>elementary os
>Just be sure to pay for what you consume
Implying that he has to pay for linux distro