GPU Passthrough Thread

Have any of you guys set up a GPU passthrough? If so what's been your overall experience with it? Just got mine setup but Looking Glass is a little disappointing, performance isn't that great, I mostly just switch my monitors input to the passed through GPU when I want to do anything serious.

Attached: screenFetch-2018-11-05_21-35-30.png (3840x1080, 1.78M)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.level1techs.com/t/windows-10-1803-as-guest-with-qemu-kvm-bsod-under-install/127425
console.systems/2014/09/how-to-pair-low-energy-le-bluetooth.html).
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it works, but is just inherently pretty clunky. i've given up on it and just decided to have a windows desktop for gayming/rendering/computing and a manjaro laptop for doing mostly everything else. i could really only see it being useful if you want to have some crazy lan party linusshilltips style

Just get a cheapo GPU for Linux or integrated intel. Its a pain to figure out how to set it up, but once you have a dual GPU set up going, it works perfectly.

I set it up on my homeserver.
Since it's already headless I didn't have to deal with that.
It was mostly painless, except I had to deal with audio issues. IO performance is also poor, and some games don't work well.

It's a waste of time and never really works perfectly. You're better off rebooting or using a separate machine. If you're just trying to play games, wine+dxvk works for most things now.

I don't really get the point of looking glass when almost every monitor has 1x DP 1x HDMI at the minimum and every GPU has the same
why not just swap display inputs?
>It's a waste of time and never really works perfectly
care to elaborate? I was planning on trying it next computer build and would like to know what problems to expect

It really helps to plan your build around it
However unless you really need to it's better to just dual boot.

Go to level1techs forum. They have passthrough gurus.

>set up passthrough
>favorite games bluescreens the vm every time

Attached: c7da468a.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

game*

This may help

forum.level1techs.com/t/windows-10-1803-as-guest-with-qemu-kvm-bsod-under-install/127425

I passthrough and it works great. Not sure what everyone's problem is. The only game that's weird is Street Fighter V but I think that's because the 3 cores I pass to the VM on my 6-core machine only show up as 2-cores and SFV is sensitive about CPU. But that's really it.

I totally second this, used some batch script so that I can even play borderlands splitscreen.

I'm gonna try looking glass one of these days, looks mighty interesting

Check your CPU topology
I pass 3 out of 4 cores, it's barely enough. But anything on the host is super slow, including guest IO.
At least everything kinda worked and I didn't have to deal with too much fuckery.

Does GPU passthrough work with thunderbolt?

yes

Had a similar experience with Looking Glass, but switching monitor inputs works well enough for me. All my peripherals use bluetooth so I just plug my BT adapter into a USB port connected to a passed trough controller and that's it for input and audio. Had to change the BT id's for my keyboard and mouse to match those assigned by the Windows guest to have them connect automatically under both OSs (console.systems/2014/09/how-to-pair-low-energy-le-bluetooth.html).

I've only tried a few games on the guest but performance seemed to be about what I'd expect for the hardware (R9 270, 2c4t of Xeon 1230v2, 8GB RAM) even though I'm running the GPU in a PCIe 2.0 4x slot. One of the reasons for setting this up was to get Folding@Home running on the R9 270 since it wouldn't work under Linux at least with the amdgpu driver stack.

Will probably be doing later too to have more flexibility on said server. It was actually a lot easier to set up than I expected.

Same problem with Looking Glass, low framerate, so I just switch the display input, but since it only has 1 HDMI port, that means manually disconnecting and then plugging in the other cable. I will probably end up killing the port, so I bought a cheap chinese HDMI Switch, but it died after a week, I guess I'll buy a second screen with the proper number of inputs.
The VM performance in general is great, but shit based on the source engine stutters like hell, totally unplayable, and PUBG crashes on launch, but that's expected considering that it's programmed by literal monkeys.
For input I'm using evdev passthrough, it just werks and allows me to quickly switch control between the host and guest.

Try setting MSI for PCI interrupts.
Try CPU pinning or even isolcpus if on linux host.
Try setting games to realtime priority in the guest.

Has anyone managed to use hotplugging with the AMDGPU driver? I configured X to ignore the GPU the second GPU and it manages to pass it to the VM successfully, but then everything on the host gets fucked up: certain programs get stuck and crash with a kernel oops in dmesg, even after returning the GPU to the host. For now I'm just using the vfio-pci driver, but it keeps the fans running at a really fast speed until the VM boots and the Windows driver grabs the device.

Works for me, Fedora keeps crashing every couple of days though I don't know why.