Switched from Android to the iphone XR and might go back to Android

Like the subject says, I wanna go back. I switched to iPhone because I just want my shit to work and wanted a phone that would work well for 3 years.There's all these things I appreciate, but all these things that don't make sense to me and drive me nuts. I realize that there's an adjustment period but I'm not sure I can get over it.

I'm looking into android options and I'm not sure what would be good. The google pixel 3 seems overrated. The note 9 is too big. I'm coming from a samsung galaxy s7 active and so tired of how slow it has gotten + the screen's been replaced twice under warranty so I sort of wanna stay away from samsung. What's a phone hat's good at multitasking and will stay fast for 3 years?

Things that drive me nuts about the apple:
- when you press the top left corner it scrolls to the fucking top of an article or text message and you can't turn the feature off. This happens a lot as sometimes that's how you go back to the previous screen

- You can't switch wifi networks from the pulldown menu...you have to go all the way through settings

- there's no back button

- the home key is a little stupid and slow because instead of double clicking, you have to drag up and hold until all of your apps show up

- siri is terrible. Google voice integration doesn't work very well for obvious reasons. I can't

- the stock keyboard isn't great because you can't long press for punctuation. You have to press and then press just to use a comma. So I use gboard but obviously there's integration problems.

PROS:
- phone is fast and simple
- apple airpods are awesome and work so well. I know there's bette rsound on the market but I'll miss these things.

Any advice? Do I eventually just get used to all of this shit or should I go android?

Attached: iphone xr.jpg (571x654, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0tx3nmA2pSM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you get used to it desu but it’s up to you. i prefer ios to android.

Attached: 44200F60-9DB3-473D-9145-C52D8C83780E.png (828x1792, 2.02M)

>not sure what would be good
what network are you on? honestly you should have just posted this rant in /spg/ instead of creating an entire thread to it

Motorola, Google, and OnePlus make phones that stay fast. The XR should be pretty good though especially the battery life, most of the things u listed are habits that will get natural.

>there's no back button
just swipe right at the bottom edge

Like all things, you get used to it. I switched to android 2 months ago and while I still miss the heck out of iOS, I dont hate android as much noe

I never got used to it and went back to return within my carrier's window, got an LG instead. Currently enjoying it.

>phone is fast and simple
Depending on what you use the phone for, this experience will differ.
>airpods are awesome
Theyre bluetooth. They will work on android you fuck.

I apologize. Was legtimately looking for discussion though desu. I want to love apple because I love my macbook and integration would be amazing but the phone itself is almost so simple that it misses key things like an efficient way to go back.

I'm with fido (essentially rogers)in Canada. I'd be buying the phone outright though as my grandfathered plan is too awesome to give up by resigning.

I'm hearing that the pixel 3 was rushed out a little too soon. In particular, this review: youtube.com/watch?v=0tx3nmA2pSM

Also, can anyone tell me why google is dubbed as having the best android interface?

That goes to the last app...not back to the last page or previous window within the app.

Yeah, but they're awesome because they're not in-ear and intrusive like a lot of the other ones. Any they connect os much more quickly than any of my wireless headphones. I guess it's the advantage of a company making truly wireless headphones directly for a specific phone.

they say Google has the best interface because it's stock Google on their designed hardware, so it's Android how it was supposed to be run, or that's the theory at least
Honestly Motorola, OnePlus, and any other device that has good stock software and developer support, like the Essential PH-1, will offer great responsiveness and the software is mainly as good as the developers working on it
I'm using a 1.5 year old Moto G5+ with Resurrection Remix on it and it works amazingly well for 3rd party ROM

lifelong iphone user here and currently using the XR, this phone certainly has some usability quirks but it’s nothing I can’t get used to, I just hope face id actually is self learning and becomes a little more reliable but it’s not that big of a deal to me. Also try using assistive touch if you aren’t already, it’s a virtual button that you can customize and you can press, long press, and double tap it.
Just give it a couple weeks because it really is a huge difference coming from android, and if it’s still not quite acceptable then just switch to another android phone, the one plus 6T is looking pretty good.
And one more thing, if you get a phone grip thing like a pop socket it makes it much easier to use the phone regardless of hand size.

Attached: 333CEE4F-CB6D-48E0-8262-E0F7F0D3CC3A.png (828x1792, 226K)

Swiping from the left edge is the universal back gesture

devs literally have to manually code that out for that not to work

>t. iOS dev

Interesting. Thanks. Didn't the essential flop? Like, everything about it in theory is awesome but so many of them were returned. Lol I'm in marketing and the phone company we had was pushing them so hard only to be so disappointed by all the returns.

Another question for you guys: doesn't it drive you nuts that you can't set default apps for siri? Like, when I ask it to play a song, it doesn't automatically go to spotify. And when I ask it to give me directions somewhere it uses apple maps which is so much shittier than google maps. Is there something that I'm missing?

Hmm thanks for that. I just checked and I have it off but it looks like this could be very useful. Out of curiosity, how do you have your double and long press set up? Do you find that you miss 3d touch?

Gotta admit, guys...I've never been on g before and you guys are all pretty nice. I'm usually on /trv/ or Jow Forums and you all seem so helpful. I appreciate it.

Also, the problem with trying this out is that I have one week left to return the phone to apple. After that, I'll have to sell it second-hand and will lose money. I have one day off later this week so only one day to sort out my replacement and want to figure it all out before that day comes.

Shit, about the airpods, I am actually a fan of the design. It doesnt fuck your ear like other earbuds do. Sure there is better ones but the quality you get when you buy the phone, fucking pristine.

my setup is in the screenshot
single is menu, double is app switcher, and long press is screenshot

and yes I miss 3D touch since it was helpful for scrolling up, down, and across text, but I don’t really mind going back to the old way of dragging around the text instead of just moving the cursor from the keyboard. As for app shortcuts and stuff I never really used it.

also Jow Forums tends to be pretty dumb like other boards, but depending on how you word your OP you can get sensible replies

Android is for poor people. If you can afford it on finance I don't see a reason not to go for iPhones.

there's a few anons on here who run essentials and they love them
they're amazing devices and have had several software updates and polishing since it's release
its developer community is one of the best out there and keeps it relevant aside from Essential itself, which has not gone belly-up by the way

turns out you can move the cursor by long pressing the space bar actually so I don’t even need 3d touch at all

Any anons here successfully integrated google into their iphone?

>no back button
You can swipe right from the left edge of the screen (not the home bar). It works like the back button on most apps. Doesn’t work on the Amazon app.

>gestures
You don’t have to wait if you pull up and the right, its like the blackberry 10 gesture.

Yo, you changed my life hahaha. That's 2 cons down, then. There might be hope. I wanna love the iphone but I'm still 50/50 right now.

Another newbie question: will I notice the difference in the next 3 years between the xr and xs in terms of speed? I know that there's a difference in ram but I also know that ram is less important for apple than generally for androids.

I don't really care about the dual camera but the xs feels like a sturdier phone and I actually prefer that it's smaller. The only reason to switch would be because the extra 1gb of ram will make a difference in a couple of years.

I am a total macfag but just use what you like nigger. However the following is something you should probably know about app history.

ios isnt like android, most of those "running" apps don't actually run in the background. what looks like apps that are running when you hold and swipe up is more like your browser history. You aren't meant to close these unless they have a problem. tldr you are doing it wrong. I used to clear all open applications on my android but ios handles it differently under the hood. Android apps run more like a minimized PC program, most iOS apps do not, they have to unsuspend and catch up when you go back to them. Only music apps and a few others run in the background. Google tried to bypass this or some shit, by making silent music play so they could botnet your ass at one point. Sometimes you can see, if you go back to a game the timer takes a second to catch up. Apps don't run like that.

Hmm so if iphone apps need to unsuspend why does it still run so quickly?

Thanks btw to everyone. I'm learning so much in general. I'm generally not a techy person as I've become a minimalist over the past couple of years. My laptop and my phone are the only 2 things I really splurge on as I use it for work

Get a pixel 2 xl, can get them cheap on eBay used. Got mine mint for $350.

iPhone has very fast internal storage which helps with unfreezing apps. This is why they don't support expandable memory because the operating system needs fast access. The result is you don't need to close unused apps to conserve battery or due to paranoia about being tracked. Apps aren't doing shit, only close them if the app crashes and needs restarting or whatever.

>Android is for poor people.

Attached: mario_no.png (1000x1515, 47K)

>iShit
Found your problem.

Attached: 1525678810088.png (532x2612, 890K)

damn, I'm reading the spg and realizing how fortunate I am to be able to buy a phone outright. I don't know what you guys are doing for work, but I promise that shit gets better over time if you put the work in and are willing to move for opportunities.

t. grew up poor so I know the struggle but eventually finally made it. Hang in there guys

itoddlers btfo!

if you still have your s7 root it an install lineage or another stock custom ROM you'll get another 3 years out of it fine desu

Just wait a couple months and trade the XR for a Galaxy S10 when it comes out

How is your S7 already obsolete? Didn't it come out the same time as my iphone 7 which still feels brand new?
Also I think in iOS 12 you can now quick-change your WiFi by hard pressing the symbol in the control center, can't try it out right now though.