/pcbg/ processors

Tech pleb here. Gonna build a gaming pc and was wondering if amd processors are any good or if intel is the way to go?

Attached: ladda ned (1).jpg (225x225, 5K)

this smells like bait but I'll take it. What's the refresh rate of your monitor and what games do you play

Intel is the best choice for gaming.

Attached: image.jpg (2000x1543, 250K)

Right now AMDs the way to go. You would be stupid to buy Intel right now. Intel has production problems which caused a 50% price-hike on their products while prices on AMDs CPUs has gone down. What used to be a situation where we had a $200 Intel CPU vs a comparable $200 AMD CPU has become a choice between $300 for the Intel CPU or $170 for the comparable AMD CPU. You get about half the performance per dollar buying Intel compared to what you get with AMD. This situation will probably last until the end of Q1 2019.

Check your local prices, if it's very different (which I doubt) then act accordingly. If it's anything like here then Intel's not really a choice unless you really want to pay twice as much for the same performance.

Attached: intel-amd-prices-nov-2018-fs8.png (1352x1662, 191K)

1080p high refresh rate = go intel.
1440p+ = go amd.

or zen 2 if you can wait.

pretty much this
if you can wait, then wait for zen2
if you can't, intel is better for 1080p, difference gets very low at 1440p and virtually zero for 4k.
and, as usual
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

>implying Intel and AMD had same prices
(lol

Intel was always the more/slightly expensive brand

There was never a time in their history that they are tied with AMD in pricing, its how they became the premium brand while AMD's low pricing always placed them as the inferior budget brand

Who gives a shit

(You), when someone overtakes your gaming accounts and/or credit card gets charged for stuff you did not buy.

Dont wait. Youll be perpetually waiting for better. Im on a 1920x and the fucker does its job well. Came from an i7 4770. Its like which car is better- whichever one offers best value at the best cost; and you must be ignorant to not see intel's failures this year.

>1080p high refresh WITH a GTX 1080Ti or better = go intel.
>anything else = go amd.
FTFY

You fucking serious now?

200GE + RX 570 is the best choice

Stupid advice, everyone on the internet is giving this advice.

I understand their mindset but it's a stupid mindset for obvious reasons.
If you can't see the reasons then you're stupid as well.

k bye.

these
the only thing you have to know beforehand is the GPU vendor, not the entire fucking build.

So you should plan your build around your case?

>BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR

The charitable interpretation of that advice is that they usually mean is that you should not get a 1000$ GPU if you're going to play in a 1080 monitor and 60Hz because it's overkill and vice versa, that you shouldn't get a 200$ GPU for a 1440p/4k 144Hz+ monitor.

But both of those are stupid.
First, overkill doesn't hurt, it just means it will last you for more years, and maybe I just wanna play a highly modded skyrim or whatever.

As for the second part, I don't care if my monitor is 4k or 8k or 69k, I might have such a monitor but I might wanna play at 1080p, like fu people.

see

Funny guy!

You plan your build around your needs you retard.

Most people want to play videogames, so let's Look at what the current consoles have and double that. PS5 is rummored to be a quadcore Ryzen APU, so either get intel hexacore or wait for zen2 and an "acceptable" unlocked motherboard, ideally with 4 DIMM slots for future upgrades. Worst case scenario, you can get the high end CPU for that socket few years down the line from craigslist. No, used parts aren't scary, especially CPUs, if it works it will work for decades.

PSU will last you over a decade, so 400-500W bronze/silver PSU is worth the investment over noname uncertified shit, even if it reportedly has the same internals, no QA no buy.

I'd say 1440p/165hz is about the limit you will notice, so just buy a nice HDR one. 4K is a meme for games. Freesync doesn't cost shit, but just like Gsync, it doesn't matter if you just push 165fps and higher.

Whatever's left just dump into GPU, make sure it's atleast (x)x60 class or AMD equivalent. You can always turn down graphics settings, you can't turn down CPU/RAM requirements.

If you code, just get a thinkpad and then dump your code into a headless server running on the big-dick socket CPU from either vendor for compiling.

>WITH a GTX 1080Ti or better
1070 and 1070ti will easily blaze past 144hz even on newer titles at 1080p

AMD just doesn't have the high clocks for high refresh 1080p

Even at 1440p Intel is still faster

>intel is better for 1080p

Why's that?

getting a shitty core2 duo with a 1050ti to drive a fucking 1440p 144hz monitor is almost as stupid and a waste as an 9700K with a 2080 driving a 1080 60hz monitor.
so plan your build around your monitor, you dumbfucks

The monitor can be used for stuff other than your first build, though. Monitors last several generations.

faster single thread performance

How is faster single thread performance going to benefit at 1080p resolution more than at, say, 4k?

Because GPUs start stretching their muscles at 1440p and especially 4k

Raw CPU power is best measured at 720p and 1080p where the GPU isn't affecting anything on the system yet

At 4k its all GPU power, it doesn't matter what CPU you own

Intel also has higher clocks and higher IPC which helps a ton on games

I don't understand. You make it sound like GPUs do nothing at 1080p. That is obviously not the case.

>Even at 1440p Intel is still faster
technically its faster, but you're retarded to pay 50% more for 5% extra performance

the gpu processes instructions from the cpu faster then it can take it.

gpu sits around longer doing nothing waiting for the cpu.

cpu becomes bottle neck at 1080p

Intel single thread out performs amd. it is able to give the gpu more jobs to do