/spg/ - Smartphone General

Nokia 9 PureView Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: _20181106_135302.jpg (1536x1152, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8-8161.php
phonearena.com/news/Huawei-EMUI-9-Android-Pie-update-launch-date-P20-Mate-10-Pro-Honor_id110732
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why?

the most retarded hyped shit i've ever seen. Seriously. You have to be quite a brainlet to believe this ugly thing is going to be the redeemer of Nokia. Some retard made a 3d mockup, put it out online and now everyone passes this as an official image.

Need a new phone, got an Iphone 6 Plus right now, but its dying #bendgate
Huawei (Mate 10 Pro) caught my eye and maybe Nokia 7.1 since I‘ve seen Nokia being recommended a bit. I‘d appreciate new suggestions aswell.

Not like PureScam
You may even hide it like that: PuresCAM

>no notch
disgusting

>Not
*more

>no self-respect
cute

I know it makes NO sense but the cameras on the nokky 9 remind me of the kawaii spider, even tho he only has 4 main eyes XD

Attached: 1521604607916.jpg (962x839, 159K)

So I ordered Xiaomeme Note 5. Is there any difference between normal Note 5 and Note 5 AI?

Sounds like you should have figured that out before you ordered it

It's the same phone

Is Xiaomeme's MIUI decent or should I as soon as I get the phone install Lineage? I plan on installing it eventually anyway, I'm afraid of the botnet.
Unrelated: quitting smoking is a pain in the ass when you get the craving.
Thought so, I could not find anything about it besides that it's just a software update.

>moar cameras

Just make sure what you have is the good one, aka the sd636 with dual cam and not the sd625 single cam.

Ogh yeah, I made sure to order the one with 636 and dual cam. The strange thing is it will have 3gb of ram and 32gb of storage but I can't complain for the price.

I like the new oneplus phone but I don't want to be associated with pooey Indians, hwat do?

buy it to signalize the company that we don't want and don't need a headphone jack

Just got my Poocomeme. Touchscreen seems perfectly fast, no bleed anywhere, feels good man. Date on the box says 2018.09.

how bad is lenovo's "ZUI"?
compared to huawei's EMUI for example

Mate 10 hasn't had any major version updates, still stuck on 8.0, didn't even get 8.1

nokia won't let you unlock your bootloader

As somebody with trypophobia: this shit is vomit inducing in me.

How is the headphone jack quality?

You mean the sound quality? I have nothing to compare it to and my shure215 aren't that high end to hear much difference anyway so I don't know.

What's the deal with type c headphone jacks? Apple and Oneplus claim they provide more clarity with a clearer signal. Jow Forums fags and reddit fags make it seem like it's a wire made of rusted mud and makes your music sound awful.

There really can't be a significant difference...

Attached: Screenshot_20181018-195549.png (1080x1920, 1.49M)

And price/ convenience wise, who cares, I'll buy like 6 of these. For home theater, Bluetooth speaker (yeah I actually don't even plug it in) car, headphones, and some back ups

Attached: Screenshot_20181106-055121.png (1080x1920, 405K)

Olé olé tortilla here.
The Redmi Note 5 and Note 6 Pro are the same price and have the same specs as far as I can tell. The only difference I can see is that the Note 6 Pro has a shitty notch. It's ugly, but not a deal breaker for me.

Should I get the Note 6 Pro or the Note 5?

Attached: 2018-11-06_14-52-03.png (978x285, 133K)

>Should I get the Note 6 Pro or the Note 5?
Mi Max 2

Mi max 3*

How do black friday/ deals normally work in the states? When do they start appearing? First time I'll be there during it and I want to grab a nice phone under $300

Attached: 1541282646849.jpg (3264x2448, 1.33M)

Why is xr 3g talk time so shitty?

Attached: xr-battery.png (369x328, 14K)

It tries to be iOS more than iOS itself, so like half the useful Android features have been cut out. Huawei's shit is at least usable out of the box.
Marketing bullshit. With the 3.5 mm jack, the DAC is usually a part of the SoC, with USB-C audio it is in the dongle. So ultimately the quality will depend on that part. Considering Apple can't be assed to include a fucking fast charger with their phones, I doubt the included dongle is anything beyond the cheapest crap.
I see no point in the note 6 and I doubt the support will be longer than for the Note 5, considering they are same-year models. Hopefully that answers your question.

Are black fridays really that good for phones? Currently have none and around $200 budget. Is it really worth waiting?

All I use my phone for is web browsing, and sometimes taking photos

meh, usually the only deals on phones around BF are for flagships, and that's usually through providers, not unlocked models
well at least in the US this is the case, if you're expecting to get a OP6T for under MSRP during Black Friday you're only kidding yourself

NO, it's garbage.
Because buy XS. What are you, poor?

I'm from the philippines and all these fucking names of the xiaomi redmi 5 is confusing me, currently what I see are the redmi 5 plus and the plain redmi 5, what's the difference?

The difference is Mi Max 2 is better.

>I'm from the philippines and all these fucking names of the xiaomi redmi 5 is confusing me, currently what I see are the redmi 5 plus and the plain redmi 5, what's the differenc

redmi 5 plus is the inferior redmi note 5, the redmi 5 is the worst of all. get the redmi NOTE 5. the ph website has it my ph bro.

>buy XS
But it's even worse

Attached: xs-battery.png (383x303, 18K)

please kill yourself

What we have is mi mix 2s. No max yet I think.

to add to this, get the M1803E7SH model which is the Taiwan Global model because it picks up the most bands

Huawei Matebook D

Redmi Note 6 Pro vs Mi A2 ?

Which one is the mid-range champion?

Attached: kYSv5U5.gif (420x315, 1.91M)

Redmi Note 5 M1803E7SH

That's just proof of how shitty an "upgrade" the RN6 is. I highly doubt someone buying an RN5 are looking for superior selfies.

Just buy 2 apple phones and use one while the other charges

Chinks do 11/11 so maybe you'd find something there.

>buying a chinkphone

About to order OP 6T.
Is it worth spending extra 30 eurobucks for 8Ggb RAM version or is 6gb perfectly sufficient?
Is there any hypothetical situation where I would feel the shortage of RAM?

Attached: Screenshot_2.png (628x549, 109K)

it's probably more than sufficient.
People have a tendency to buy phones or other electronics way beyond their means.

Most people only web browse and yet they still buy 1k+ phones

Where do you think you are?

They've been starting earlier and earlier, with the huge price drop (if there is one) still happening on Black Friday. Lots of online places start having deals early as well.

They play this shit up too so there's no worry about a surprise sale.

Isn't note 6 a downgrade from note 5.

The Blackberry Torch really gives away the age of that image.

phone salesgirl just sold me an S8 for about 200 cheaper than what it currently goes for in the stores. Monthly payments for 3 years, so it's not an amazing deal, taking into account that in 3 years it'll be an ancient device, and I'll stil be paying for it (unless I pay it off before that).
Basically getting it for the same cost as one of these devices from their store:
>Honor 10
>Huawei Nova 3
>Asus ZenFone 5
>Huawei P20 128GB

I can return it during the first 2 weeks, if I don't turn it on or charge it or do anything with it basically.

I currently have an S5 which is pretty fucken beat up, but somewhat works still.
Was wondering what do you guys think about the S8?
Is it as easily rootable as the S5? Is TouchWiz still as shit? Anything very good/bad about S8 I should know about?
Experiences?

I'm really 50/50 on if I'm gonna return it as soon as I get it or not. Sadly I won't even be able to use it to see if I like it..

Pros/cons so far:
>+ It's not broken, and it's a bit newer than my current S5
>+ Double the ram
>+ 4x more storage, which is nice
>+ IP68 water resistance
>| An O.K. price. Not great, not shit.
>- Don't have a lot of dosh to use on a phone
>- TouchWiz
>- The S8 is kind of an old phone (1½ years). Feels weird buying it

Any thoughts?

>to add to this, get the M1803E7SH model which is the Taiwan Global model because it picks up the most bands
thanks anons

So is it true that Google captcha doesn't work on EMUI or have I been hoodwinkled?
I was considering buying an Honor Play but this piece of info has me confused.

Will it really be ancient though? It's a great device and could be used much longer depending on what you use it for.

Only reason I get a new phone is when my old old breaks

I was using the original Moto Jow Forums for the past five years or so, but just picked up a brand new Moto G5 (3GB RAM, 32GB storage) from a liquidation sale for $89.99. It's a really nice phone considering what I paid. It feels like light-years ahead of the original, and I finally have LTE, but I can't help but feel that it's less ground-breaking than the original in the overall context of the market. It just feels like Motorola got lazy. The value proposition that was so obvious in the original has kind of disappeared, especially with the G6 (what does that phone do that no other $250 phone can't?).

Attached: motorola-moto-g5-plus-7.jpg (936x527, 50K)

Well it'll be 4½ years old by that time. I'd say that's bretty ancient for a smartphone, taking into account that the average lifespan of a smartphone is a bit less than 2 years.
>Only reason I get a new phone is when my old old breaks
Yeah, me too, but currently my S5 is at a point where it's not reliable anymore. Mainly mic/speaker stops working randomly, and it reboots randomly.
So it's basically at a point where it's smart to buy a new phone, if I'm getting a good deal.

yeah the g6 is in a weird spot. There are many phones for the same price, or cheaper that are better.

if you're going to be paying monthly for three years you might as well get something released in the current year

I'd say the average lifespan is much higher than 2 years. Just because people break their phones, or opt for a replacement doesn't mean they all the sudden become shit.

Sure if you want to play whatever new game on the phone it could go slow, but besides that with basic shit. Calling/web browsing/taking photos. You can use a phone for 5 years easily

Good point. But I think I'll be paying it off a lot sooner, probably max. 1 year.

Anyone know how I can tell if the phone is Exynos -based or not?

US, Canada, Latin America and China gets Snapdragon, every other place gets Exynos. GSMarena lists the different variants:
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8-8161.php

Ah, good. Thanks.

Does my dream phone exist?
>No curved screen meme
>No notch meme
>Fully lineage OS compatible
>Under 155 x 75mm
>Battery over 3000mah

Where can I buy these mousepads?

What do you guys think will be the next big phone innovation?

Hey /spg/ I need your opinion. Should I get the Pocophone F1 or spend some extra to get the OP6T?

I think it's one of the arts[Jow Forums thinks this message is spam]cow custom mousepads. You used to be able to get them for $0.99 with a coupon.

If you're an ameriburger don't get the Poco you'll have shit 4g reception. If you are from somewhere else it depends.

Redpill me on LG

Does my dream phone exist?
>1970's electronic components
>1970's steel body
>fully debian OS compatible
>removable battery
>headphone jack

All their phones have bootloop problems and brick constantly
shitty slow updates
do not buy

extra pci-e slots are a bonus

Same

Does anyone know how to add that "driving mode" shortcut to an android phone's home-screen? It's not an app in itself but part of the Google Maps app instead.
I had that on my old phone and I can't remember how I did it. My new phone doesn't have it and I've been trying to find that option somewhere in Maps to no avail.

Attached: 1024x1024sr[1].jpg (1024x1024, 49K)

long press on home screen -> widgets -> Maps -> Driving Mode

Looking to buy a new phone, but most the of ones I want are jack-less.
Is missing a headphone jack really a big issue? I listen to music constantly on my phone. From my understanding I can just plug my headphones using usb-c adapter, right? What's the big deal?

Isn‘t it supposed to be updated?

Other than that, you have alternatives for me? Can‘t afford the Mate20 Pro at this point

I don't have that on my widgets list.

>Only reason I get a new phone is when my old old breaks

I sort of know this feeling. I had an iPhone 3Gs from 2010 until early 2016, by which point it was almost unusable because "lol, this app no longer supports iOS 6". After getting a 6s I realized how much great new stuff I was missing out on. Everything was miles ahead of the old hardware in every way imaginable. I sort of resolved myself to upgrade "every two years" after that, in order to keep up with the latest features. But when I went shopping for phones (including Android headsets) earlier this year, I found that not much has really changed. It seems the pace of innovation has slowed down. So I'm probably going to keep the 6s until it breaks, or until Apple decides that it wants to bring in the good old planned obsolescence. Which, judging from the amount of support the 5s has received, will probably be a while from now.

Nevermind, I found it. You have to open the app go to settings > navigation settings > scroll down to the bottom and the "add navigation shortcut" option will be there.

I just got a moto e5 Play for about the same price. Good overall but I had to use Precise Volume on this to get the volume low for the built in speaker for music.

Weird, it's there for me

Attached: Screenshot_20181106-182159.png (720x1280, 199K)

Yeah it's definitely slowed down. That's why I got my first smart phone. My ipod touch could no longer use the new skype app.
It seems now there isn't really any issues with older phones using old apps, or web browsing etc.
I think some crazy new shit will have to come out to totally phase out old phones.
My brother is still using an iphone 6s he just bought this year too

phonearena.com/news/Huawei-EMUI-9-Android-Pie-update-launch-date-P20-Mate-10-Pro-Honor_id110732

You have to watch with older phones and make sure they support volte.

what's best new phone to be able to root, currently have galaxy s5 but battery being a pitty

carrier: t-mobile
want SD card capability

what's your budget?

MIUI is the ultimate chink bornet, install lineage os as fast as possible.

no limit to price? get whatever flagship samsung has desu or pixel 3

Is the Alcatel 1X worth getting for around 100 dollars?

>can't unlock bootloader for 30 days
thanks china

I need a pay-as-you-go, data-only mobile plan for my laptop's WWAN card. What's good? I'm in the US

Speaking of pay as you go.

What is the no contract plan for someone that basically just wants a #, and use for emergencies.
Right now I've been on t-mobile for a while and it's $3 a month.

I finally did it, after 2 years I dropped my phone and cracked the screen of my Galaxy S8+.

I checked getting a new screen and it costs over $200 for it, I bet repairs would be around that price as well. Do I repair it or just save up for a new phone?