/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1420209360807.png (641x534, 611K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/freemusicarchive
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: flube.gif (460x405, 98K)

Hello, Flube.

How do I get programs in mint to automatically find my second hardrive? I can see it in the file manager and transmission picks it up just fine but launchy qbittorrent etc. do not

It shows up in terminal just fine
>Babby's 2nd attempt at linux

Sort of shocked that this is the only problem I've had so far desu, everything else has been fine, even the printer works

what directory is your second mounted to?
go navigate to that folder in launchy/qbittorent
check $ mount
it might be /mnt or /media/bleh/something

What is the most Virgin linux distro?

Trisquel

Fedora

Found it, it was located inside media for some reason
Why the fuck would it put it there?

$man hier

/media This directory contains mount points for removable media such as
CD and DVD disks or USB sticks. On systems where more than one
device exists for mounting a certain type of media, mount direcā€
tories can be created by appending a digit to the name of those
available above starting with '0', but the unqualified name must
also exist.

The file-chooser should be able to share the "icon view" feature used in Nautilus, so that you can choose between list view and icon view (with thumbnails). I believe the Windows file selector already does this. Now how to do this I have no clue about, because I am not a developer. I guess either Nautilus should allow other applications to share this function (which could also be useful to file-roller e.g.), or it should be lifted out from Nautilus, making it a gtk widget or something?

arch linux

Windows

*tips*

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 2.30.22 AM.png (860x1296, 859K)

Can't beat the fatman.

Attached: 1481834088467.jpg (383x400, 29K)

is xfce the basedest and redpilledest desktop environment?

>taking a screenshot of a transparent png

i am seriously considering an Arch Linux installation

if he weren't such a brainlet he'd be using fedora

Attached: Screenshot_20181106_105152.png (160x160, 2K)

>try to install debian on a virtual machine to start off easy and comfy
>MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR
>this has happened 2 times
I have an msi laptop (ge72 2qd apache pro), what the fuck is happening? It's been always unable to run linacs (tried arch, ubuntu, bungie)

>implying is my screenshot not some random picture from interwebs

no u

Good thread.

Why?

because it's fast and simple and i just don't care anymore

arch
t. arch user

Linux is a kernel.

IMO it's a good learning experience. Not the install, that's easy as fuck and there's a gillion tutorials. But want to print? Oh, install cups and configure it, there might be permission issues so you have to fuck around with it, etc. Want wifi, oh you didn't install diaload, iw, wpa_supplicant during the install. This daemon doesn't automount, did you start and enable the service?
Just a whole bunch of little stuff.
I got frustrated by things that "just-werked" on other distros. A lot of the times it's not as simple as just installing via pacman, you have to do config stuff.

I distro hopped quite a bit, but every time I would go back to arch, there's honestly something about it: there's a well-sized community, pacman is fantastic, the AUR is a god-send, etc.

i3 nigger here, but I want to switch to dwm for dat tagging.
I'm trying to patch it and some of them just refuse to work, namely systray and uselessgap
I used both patch and git apply
Is it possible to paste the code in manually? If so, how do I know where to paste it in?
sorry for being a brainlet

What's the best way to convert/read a xlsx file in my terminal?

install ratpoison

>xlsx
open it in libreoffice/google sheets and hope for the best.

honestly the only other tiling wm I'm interested in is xmonad but dwm is better

Did it using xlsx2csv.
>based text formats
Feels at home again.

About to install Debian, which DE should I go for?
xfce doesn't have great multi monitor support, but the rest is mostly fine.
I like that GNOME is being actively developed and is unofficially the Linux DE. Moreover when even Canonical dropped theirs and is now going with GNOME.
KDE is a mixed bag for me. I've tried in two times, but didn't like it at all. That being said, that was a few years ago, things might have changed. Having a proper filepicker is also a plus.

I'm leaning towards GNOME desu, is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Attached: won't forget moot festive.jpg (480x519, 52K)

Is it possible to have a Vulkan capable mpv without compiling on a Ubuntu based distro? If so, how?

If it's been a few years then give KDE a try. Plasma 5 has come a long way: it's much lighter on RAM (still quite big in terms of package size) and is way, way, way less buggy than it used to be. I love the KDE apps like Konsole, Yakuake, Dolphin, Okular, etc.
If you want the Dolphin file picker for firefox, you'll need to install the opensuse-patched version of firefox (firefox-kde-opensuse on AUR).

But I don't see any reason not to use GNOME.
If you want to use wayland then GNOME hands down.

I have been using a laptop with L/Ubuntu for 7 years, but it just died. I'm planning to build a R3 2200g desktop to replace it. I starting having problems with Ubuntu when they moved to unity and moved to Lubuntu, should I stay with Ubuntu distros for my new pc or just move to another already? Which distro have the best support for the Ryzen integrated Vega card?

Attached: confused anime girl 15.jpg (362x346, 36K)

Terminals are mostly by preference unless I'm missing something.
I haven't tried dolphin in a while. Might go for it since thunar doesn't have built in search, I'm a little worried it's going to shit itself with the root picture folder being more than 20k unsorted images.
On that filepicker firefox, I'll be on the lookout for it, that sounds cash. Problem is the gigantic amount of tabs and windows I have open, would it be friendly just copying the .config or .local folders?
Also, on wayland, would that fuck up something like GPU passthrough in the future? What of everything that still uses X?

yeah terminals are def personal preference.
Dolphin is fantastic, I'm not sure about 20k of unsorted images though, never had this test case.
You can copy you .mozilla folder (or at the minimum the XXXXXXX.default folder (in .mozilla) which is the firefox session folder.
I don't know much about waland at the moment since it's very, very shit with KDE, so I don't bother.

To the guy who was asking for libre music yesterday: archive.org/details/freemusicarchive

how can i play a specific sound via a different port in pulseaudio? basically i have a script that plays a sound when my cripto shitcoins reach a threshold, but i want that sound to play via the speakers even when i have my headphones plugged. how do?

Attached: 1534620057295.jpg (1080x1312, 1.26M)

Why doesn't /fglt/ have a Code of Conduct?

Why you want to be gay tho?

KDE all the way

Ok, but why?

What's wrong with being gay?

Gentoo, duh
why would a person with sexual life even consider installing Gentoo

it's disgusting

all Jow Forums has a code of conduct, doofus
in fact it's constantly exercised, why do you think there are bans every minute

how do I stop wm hopping?

I think it's pretty cool
you think your taste matters more?

So how about this Jow Forums.

I take out the HDD in my laptop and just use Ubuntu on a USB bootloader.

Has anyone else done this? It sounds silly but my HDD is broke and I rather just carry my USB with me in case my laptop gets stolen again

Attached: 1539909636928.gif (385x250, 1.18M)

don't ask here is full of neets and shit advice. Truth is gnome is obviously a good desktop. Every major distro has it as default option, the keybinds it comes with are useful as fuck and natural, dynamic workspaces are kino, and is very stable. And it's getting more and more slimmer. With time I have no doubts it will be as polished as a mac (implying that's a good thing)

Is there a way to make sxiv's background color something other than grey?
Can it be transparent?

Can I make the window borders in i3 a gradient instead of solid colors?

If your drive is big enough for your needs sure lol

Not without patching the code yourself.