Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: xikagoedtnvx.jpg (1920x1080, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XsuJb9L0meM
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/KERNEL.md#kernel-patch
wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/real_time_info
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for two threads are better than one.

Stallman is a faggot, prove me wrong.

How do I just learn more about gahnuu + linnuks? I find it hard to motivate myself when all I do is shitpost and everything just werks and I dont have problems on my machine.

Don't really know jack shit about the environment, how do I just learn what its all about? Was browsing around starting at / some stuff is common sense like /sys and some of its sub directories, but how the fk are you supposed to know what everything is doing, do people actually understand everything that happens on their machine or is it just a meme

Break something then fix it.

I'm trying to setup japanese input.
I've installed the japanese language pack for Ubuntu (I'm on the latest Xubuntu if it matters) but when I try to sudo setxkbmap ja, I get error loading keyboard description, I've searched online and the provided solutions didn't work for me so if anyone has any idea what it might be, pls tell

Ironically I did some googling on Xorg and why people memed about it being shit, apparently its use case wasn't even designed for being a desktop environment, all the years of piling on and duct taping this aboomination has made it incredibly buggy, laggy and just unextendible - as people say.

To what extent is this true? Supposedly wayland is the solution to this - but then again it wont even run most thing since most things give support for Xorg and waylands backwards compatibility through Xwayland or whatever isn't even functional in general

How do I just get an overview of "what is gnu/linux" so I can just see the big picture, cause to me right now it just seems like linux + a bunch of shitty packages glued and stapled together which werent even originally designed for linux

GNU/Linux*
man hier

You should use a search engine which respects your privacy instead.

Can someone redpill me on flatpak? Is it supposed to get rid of dependencies and for easier updates/removal? Is this a future or just a meme?

Has anyone managed to get Haiku to run in Virtualbox? I selected the ISO and hit "Start", then it gives me this error message:
The virtual machine 'Haiku' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Running it as Headless or Detachable Start gave the same error. Any ideas?

Attached: haiku_logo_white.png (605x179, 890)

Nah just not reasonable, everyone knows google gives the best results for everything, even stallman admits himself sometimes to using google on very few occassions, plus every search engine is a botnet so nothing lost. At least I use icecat.

Stallman doesn't use Google.

why do you think it gives the best results?

>stallman admits himself sometimes to using google on very few occassions

Youre misquoting me.

Anecdotally ggd gives me shit when I compare it with google

If I wanted to edit a cmake to point to the right .so file for installation, which file would I edit? It seems to be written to /usr/local/lib/ as opposed to /usr/lib/ where it is stored on my system.

Which is better for a persistent live install, Ubuntu or Arch? I've had experience with both and don't necessarily prefer one to the other, but was mainly concerned with the speed of them. My kali usb still feels a bit slow compared to booting off an SSD.

Puppy Linux. Neither Ubuntu nor Arch are meant to be primarily run from a live disk. That's why we have Puppy.

Attached: PuppyLogo.jpg (300x300, 36K)

Does the memory footprint help? I always figured the slowness came from the read/write speeds of the drive.

Google gives you good results because it spies you mong.

Knoppix,Slax,Puppy,SlitaZ

No, I have not, at least with CLI ffmpeg. Obs does have the option to use an ffmpeg output while recording, but it doesn't have one for streaming. Even then, the video comes out blurry. The only reason I'm using obs is for ease of streaming. I'm trying to use Windows less and this is one of the main things I want to settle. Maybe it's something dumb that I'm missing or just how obs is handled on debian Sid. I have no problems with it on Windows.

Attached: current_state.webm (1280x720, 1.56M)

So it's outputting 720p, that's definitely something. Holy shit I'm retarded.

youtube.com/watch?v=XsuJb9L0meM
>5 Distros for Low End Hardware
Controversial?

Is there a GNU/Linux alternative to portableapps or something similar?

Appimages

Thanks

> useless 3rd party ubuntu / arch / debian spins
> fucking mint
> unflattering audio, camera angle, lights
Apply yourself, user.

Any suggestions for data recovery tools for a dumb user that accidentally rm -rf'd the wrong directory? i havent re-written any new data to the hdd that got wiped so in theory the data can still be possible to recover right? Ext4 partition if that matters. The total filesize should also be only around less than 100gb on a 1tb drive.

Just restore from your backups.

Good thread.

i heard that getting autocad or any other proper cad software running on Stallman/Torvalds systems is pretty tedious or straight out impossible
is there any hope if i would like to do so?

I use gentoo

testdisk
photorec
dd-rescue
Booting from a live usb of course

What is the best Anime for Linux?

I have specified --disable-gtk-doc but its spent the past 6 hours compiling in "gtk/docs/reference"
What the fuck is gnome doing now?

I don't wanna slander BRL or VariCAD folks as not "proper", but not really for the big brands. The API support is non-trivial to do as a VM or WINE, and nobody is going spend 4~5 figures on the AutoCAD license + vendor blessed GPU and then not shell out $150 for the vendor supported OS.

>testdisk
>photorec
I was trying out photorec which seems to might have worked but ill try out dd-rescue aswell while im at it, thanks user.

Restoring from backups is much better.
Why won't you listen?

Attached: 1541538332.jpg (353x401, 54K)

In the sudoers, what's the difference between
userx ALL=(ALL:ALL)
and
userx ALL=(ALL)
Is the latter just combining the upper two?

Whats the most powerful cpu that can be currently librebooted?

Because that WAS the backup

I was hoping to trigger more capslock than that.

Its not as bad, i do have backups of the stuff that was actually important.

How do I make it so the browser displays larger image thumbnails instead of the list with a preview on the right?

I read you do something with: aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
But not sure what.
I have tumbler installed.

Attached: Screenshot.png (1180x893, 114K)

Pic related is how I'd like it to look.

Currently using the Linux-MX distro, which is Debian based and uses the Xfce desktop.

Attached: Windows-File-Explorer.jpg (1859x1201, 223K)

I told you last fucking thread
Install that god damn patch and stop wasting my time

Uhh if you're using XFCE you would have Thunar which allows you to do that by simply clicking View -> As Icons (which is the default).

thunar isnt the file chooser that is used in the browser

Oh right I didn't read the "browser" part.
I just drag and drop the files from a file manager window.

You can just open any file manager and simply drag-and-drop the file instead of selecting it via the file chooser dialog.

Attached: 15400535397740.jpg (811x667, 91K)

>opening 2 windows to do the work of one.
No.

>keeping file browsing in the file browser instead of in the web browser
yep, ridiculous

So you want a html browser, a javscript browser, a dynamic content browser, a media browser....

When will Arch meme me for real?

>this morning do pacman -Syu
>ffmpeg updates, kool
>in the evening try playing a vid, oh shit mpv whines about different ffmpeg
>do pacman -Syu again and get new mpv
So I guess there would've been a very short span of time where I would have not been able to use mpv but it got resolved pretty quickly.

Trying to install a linux on a 2012 MacBook Pro. Everything works fine except wifi.

I don't have trouble initially installing wifi on any distro, but after a little bit it stops. It still shows it's connected, but no data gets through. Turning off/on wifi works for a little bit, then it fades out again. F*cking broadcom.

Any anons with a fix? I've tried *buntus and Fedora.

Did you use broadcom firmware or open source firmware?

>where I would have not been able to use mpv
Use mpv-build-git

But I don't want to drag and drop? Isn't there a way to make the browser use the thumbnail viewer?

FUCKING
INSTALL
THE
GOD
DAMN
PATCHES
YOU
FUCKING
[spoiler]INVALID[/spoiler]
Seriously you could have solved your problem yesterday

You really are a complete idiot. I'm not going to stop posting about it until I know how to do it.

How's sound editing on Linux? Are JACK and ALSA decent? I've seen Reaper being ported to Linux, but how are native Linux DAWs?

Linux is a kernel.

how does one run Windows games under WINE if they don't require installation and consist of an already working directory of exe and dll's?

Thanks for nothing, asshole.
All idiots here, please don't reply to me.

$ wine botnet.exe

but can I do it through PlayOnLinux?

Please stay friendly and professional.

any KDE fags in here? how do I get rid of this thing?

Attached: dous.png (1280x1024, 1.07M)

openvpn error keeps spamming my syslog

ovpn-update-resolv[23875]: Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in /etc/openvpn/update-resolv.conf:16: [ (2.4.6)

I never touched that conf file how do I fix it
everything works but I still dont like how often I see it in my log

>idiots please don't reply to me.

Then fucking learn how to do it?
No one here is going to hold your hand. Google how to fucking apply patches. what the fuck do you want? Someone to ssh in to your fucking terminal and do it for you?
You are the single most worthless person i have ever seen in my life.
You have your answer from yesterday, you even linked the fucking patch in your own post.
FUCKING APPLY THE PATCH

I installed ZeroBrane but when I run it via rofi or command line, it does nothing. How do I run it?

Using Arch with i3.

sauce?

disgustingroast.com

Alexandr Mavrin, the most talented photographer I know by name

Attached: tumblr_nco5r2oBjI1rarm68o1_1280.jpg (1280x878, 182K)

I use this as login screen. Shit is cash
t. homosex

Attached: B9j-kcilpHQ.jpg (1280x942, 178K)

Cry all you want, idiot, I'm still not going to stop.

>disgustingroast.com
Maybe don't be an asshole

>has answer
>wont read a paragraph
>I WONT STOP TILL I GET AN ANSWER

because your answer is trash, and you're clearly a moron.

I've been using the god damn patches for fucking years now faggot.

and at the end of the day, you're still a moron.

I have icon view in my gtk filechooser.
You refuse to learn how to apply a patch.
Its deadly obvious who is the retard here

Coming from someone as clearly braindead as yourself, that doesn't say much.

Attached: retard.png (536x16, 5K)

>using Arch

Attached: 458cd3006955b68bf602bf9a9d8d51a180c34f4e0a1498f16796fe617b4bdd6a.png (1083x621, 119K)

Dabbling a little into sound, is perfect if you want to dive deep. Jack is considered a professional sound system too but I don't know much about it.

>not managing your mirrorlist with one easy command.

So? How does that prove you're not a braindamaged sperglord? You have severe mental issues dude.

My filechooser is patched :)

and yet you're a braindamaged idiot. Ouch.

How about low latency issues
I've heard Linux sound module implements low-latency without patching the kernel

in bspwm, if i have two programs open in the same workspace the most recently launched one gets permanent focus for some reason. the old program has a little shadow at its side because it's "behind" the new program. so any sxhkd keybinding only affects this newly opened focused program that i can't switch focus from. does anyone know how to fix this in the config

does (( )) make a subshell in bash

Sorry didn't went that far but I know you can easily patch the kernel github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/KERNEL.md#kernel-patch

Is a step-by-step guide if you want to squeeze to the last bit with custom patches. Some good recommendations there.

Reminder to # tune2fs -m your ext4 filesystem from the default 5% reserved block count.

Just get a realtime kernel(zen,ck,pf) and you should be good

This is a really badly informed advice. I do not need a realtime kernel, realtime kernels are needed when industrial robots or lasers are involved, they do not necessarily reduce audio latency.

You want a real time kernel to do music production. You want a realtime kernel if you want high quality low latency playback.
ALSA,JACK and PULSE all support real time kernels and optimize for it

wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/real_time_info