Anyone here genuinely passionate about privacy and anonymity? I urge anyone and everyone to look into the 14 eyes...

Anyone here genuinely passionate about privacy and anonymity? I urge anyone and everyone to look into the 14 eyes. The VPN service you use is likely completely contradictory as many of the services servers are located within the 6/9/14 eyes jurisdiction.
restoreprivacy.com
I've yet to find a reliable, high quality, no log VPN that doesn't fall under the 14 eyes jurisdiction and I can't accept that genuine privacy is dead. Although technically using a VPN is the least someone can do to protect themselves. Let's discuss everything privacy/anonymity/counter-surveillance related.

Attached: big-brother-is-watching-you-big-brother-30058319.png (500x399, 51K)

Nobody cares pedo

>Cares about the right to privacy, must be a pedo. KYS bootlicker

Good thread, op. Have a bump.

>using a VPN for anything else besides privacy from yr isp
KYS

It's the Ayys

Even the best VPN is somewhat useless when the NSA has backdoors in Intel and AMD CPU's straight from the manufacturer. This shit goes deeper than what some people can actually comprehend. True privacy and anonymity are actually to some degree "impossible".

>right to privacy
I like to get privacy while I take a shit, I don't care privacy when I'm eating. What are you doing in the internet that requires "muh privacy"?

Well I'm aware of some companies that manufacture computers and cell phones that are made piece by piece in the name of privacy, unfortunately they are ridiculously priced. Figures. I do agree that the only way to be completely safe is to go off grid/no use of technology but in some aspects that's not even good enough. My main concern is protection privacy and at least taking some precautions and anti surveillance measures.

>"Why are you worried unless you have something to hide"
This is the same toxic thinking that helped us get to this point in the first place. Your opinion is literally invalid. I don't need to write you a novel on why privacy is a right everybody deserves, you should be able to put that together on your own.

I'm fairly certain that VPN providers don't have to log anything here in the Netherlands.
There is also no such thing as a decryption order like in the USA.
The traffic to and from your VPN can also be encrypted so it's perfectly safe.

What you should be worried about is your money trail.
And it's up to you, how safe you use the VPN, to decide how much personal information you send from the VPN. It wouldn't surprise me if there are hidden databases that log all metadata and can connect all traffic from a certain IP at the same date/time.

The Dutch police does have some worrying rights. Such as the rights to wiretap entire neighborhoods and hack computers.
So our country is a bit like the wild west. Both the user and police can do anything they want.
If you encrypt everything, you're safe and nobody can touch you.
If you don't secure yourself, then might get tapped and hacked.

Actually, the Netherlands doens't have backdoors for systems. And no decryption orders for the suspect.

But if your VPN provider can access your information (without implementing a back door) then he has to cooperate.

End-to-end encryption is a must I agree. Here in the US a huge issue huge issue that not a lot of people are aware of is the use of imsi catchers and other cellular surveillance devices buy local state and federal law enforcement. The Harris Corp "stingray" etc. it's a gray area and has several times been ruled that it's not unconstitutional to use them. They basically intercept all of your cellular data before it reaches the cell tower thus unencrypted. They can and do spy on entire cities. I guess you can use encrypted messaging apps like signal but this seems like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

You have to work with the means that you have.
Encrypting everything is the future. And we're quickly heading that way.

That's also why more emphasis is (going to be) put on hacking devices, so you can evade the encryption altogether.

But even with encrypted data you can often tell through metadata with who you communicate, at which times, where you are, what your social circle is, what your interests are and so on.

So when the agencies intercept information the content of the messages usually aren't the most interesting parts. It's more interesting to create a social profile of a person so you know if he's a threat or not.

"I'm not a sheep so the wolf won't eat me", said the pig.

Gotta love the smell of astroturf in the morning.

>I like to have privacy while taking a shot
It's almost as if allowing devices that are compromised into every single corner of your life is going to be counterproductive towards your goal of private shit taking.

I am super passionate about it, I'm looking into actually building new tools to get privacy back to the common people. Specifically I want to build a private mobile device.

HOWEVER, my studies of cyb/sec have shown me that privacy is... multi-tiered. Governments *currently* don't have enough power to process all the data they're collecting and spy on everyone. But yeah, they're collecting your shit.

the VPN bit is in the same category, really.

Privacy isn't dead, it's just a gradient, like everything else in security. Having a VPN at all is awesome. And if you're truly paranoid, I'd have a separate device running CentOS and Whonix VM's, with it's own VPN, and it's own Identity, ideally isolated from the rest of your network.

I disagree. Just because there is a backdoor in the hardware does not mean you can't mitigate it. Have you ever heard of SELinux? Or NDS?

The problem is that you need security to have privacy, but having security does not mean private.

If you want true privacy learn cyber security. If I set up a properly configured firewall with outbound rules that were made by hitler himself, any general purpose malware will not be able to communicate.

But yeah, nothing is perfect. What's new there. All forms of communication can be intercepted.

I've been considering having a dedicated device separate from personal accounts with centOS and qubes VM with a VPN etc. Thank you for your input.

This, but not everyone has access to the tools and knowledge to do so.

Let me explain why privacy is so important to you
-to buy drugs, tor blah blah
-to post something politically incorrect
-to do some 1337haxx
-to view whatever wierd fetsihes you have

Any other scenario where muh privetzz is so important?

yup. This is why I want to get good premades going. Something easy that works. Alas, that will cost a lot of money to produce and maintain. Privacy will have a cost

boy you must love your government. Privacy is not for when things are going right, it's for when things are going wrong. And sometime in the not too-distant future, these profiles the companies have been building on us will enable them to be quite good at predicting and manipulating our behavior. Enjoy being a cuck to your government. And if you're an American, go exercise your 2nd amendment right and kill yourself

working on projects that are protected by an NDA

For the last time, you shouldn't have to be involved in criminal activity or anything like you are saying to care about privacy. If you don't give a fuck about it then go shit up another thread.

Attached: 1538322345812.png (621x702, 56K)

if he's an american then the founding fathers are rolling in their graves. The country wasn't built that long ago, how are you already forgetting what it was built for? And why?

>passionate about privacy and anonymity
You misspelled paranoid

I for one am an American and I'd be willing to bet that he is too. The fucking pure stupidity in these statements is baffling.

I frequent homosexual dating sites and like to send dick pics.

Your behaviour has been deemed inauthentic and your account has been suspended.

nice paid shill VPN review site

I had similar thoughts but it's not all like that.