ITT: Snek oil of modern tech

I'll get the ball rolling: Mechanical keyboards

Attached: 1 6k7-t4XHg74vJhMfJpDouw.jpg (468x266, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

saferemr.com/2017/09/5G-moratorium12.html
saferemr.com/2018/07/international-perspective-on-health.html
healthimpactnews.com/2018/5g-technology-is-coming-linked-to-cancer-heart-disease-diabetes-alzheimers-and-death/
eluxemagazine.com/magazine/dangers-of-5g/
ehtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/Scientist-5G-appeal-2017.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-X
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Evo_4G
techrepublic.com/article/samsung-hynix-micron-sued-for-dram-price-fixing-that-could-have-raised-pc-prices/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anything Elon Musk related

>inb4 triggered redditors

>netbooks

Attached: 1541192742193280312.jpg (700x669, 62K)

Are you claiming that rocket that isn't even finalized on paper isn't gonna take me on vacations to Mars in 2 years?

Snake oil? Mech switches are more comfortable to type on than membrane ones. Loud clacking is a bonus
>>cherry mx blues 4 lyfe, faggot

>implying the surface of Mars isn't bombarded by volatile solar radiation and it would make a nice place to vacation at

Attached: 1397408639064.png (904x596, 404K)

>+144Hz screens
>2160p and up
>anything marketed for """audiophiles"""

video monitors

Attached: 1541274688840.png (1146x1403, 912K)

Wrong

Attached: spacex heavy.webm (800x444, 68K)

5G

4G is already fast enough to burn through a data plan in minutes.
4G is already fast enough to stream in high definition.

Most people don't even use the speeds provided by 4G. Most people just read Facebook or Twitter or chat with friends or read an article. They don't use existing bandwidth.
Even when people watch a video on Instagram or (rarely) YouTube, they don't use the most out of 4G.

There is no need for 5G, nor is there going to be. We have reached the end in terms of phone resolutions, 300+ ppi is the limit. We can't see any better. Resolutions are not going to improve, and so video sizes are not going to increase either. Just like music file sizes haven't increased in years (in fact we no longer even store music at all).
Which brings us to the second biggest snake oil: big storage for consumers. We no longer need it.

Attached: 1355006373982.jpg (168x148, 13K)

Anything higher than 60 fps

Disagree with the storage point because I don't trust cloud services, or an algorithm tracking my media choices
4k is also a meme

>we don't NEED 1+ghz

>just store all your data on (((the cloud))) goy

But we did need CPU speeds, and we still do today.
But some other things we don't need.

Ethernet at 100mbps was introduced in 1995.
Ethernet at 1gbps was introduced in 1999.
Even today consumers won't fully make use of a 100mbps ethernet connection, especially if it's just connecting to their modem/router.

Storage needs are reaching a plateau. Many file types have peaked in terms of file size (such as music). Screen resolutions are reaching a peak in terms of what the eye can perceive (about 300ppi give or take). Video sizes will soon plateau too.
Even if you store all your media locally, you won't need all that much extra storage in 5 years time compared to what you need today.

You guys are like the libtards who've been saying
>IT'S OVER BLUMPFY!11
for years. You don't know when to accept defeat. Trump is POTUS, and that South African "snek oil salesman" has become one of the richest people on Earth while you've done nothing but tugged on that minuscule growth between your legs you'd like to call a penis.

>Video sizes will soon plateau too.
>implying new forms won't emerge as new tech becomes feasible
The future is VR, grandpa. Movies and games where you're there on the scene.

I don't agree, Netbook as a concept is ok. A cheap laptop just for browsing the internet and doing some light office work isn't a bad idea. The problem with netbooks was the godawful hardware that wasn't powerful enough to handle this simple task. Shipping with 2gb of ram when the OS takes 1.3gb alone is fucking retarded. The CPU were too weak, the ram too low and the HDD space too small. Great idea, shit execution. Snake oil is a product advertising a solution while knowingly being assured that it doesn't solve the issue.

I remember when we had a thread on Jow Forums some years ago (like 2009) about how stale silicon valley has become and I replied about looking at people like Peter Thiel and Elon Musk and some guy replied like "I googled the guy seems cool thanks"

I wish I'd bought Tesla stock instead of Apple (can't complain tho)

5G isn't for the customer, it's for the benefit of the mobile companies.

>Even today consumers won't fully make use of a 100mbps ethernet connection
I'm guessing you don't copy files over a network ever. 1gbps becomes a bottleneck with anything but the oldest spinning drives. It's obviously the limit on SSDs and also RAID arrays and newer 7200 RPM drives. Saying 100mbps is somehow enough is ludicrous.

5G isn't about wireless speeds, it's about slowly killing you and your family more efficiently than 4G and WIFI does while ensuring that you pay to be radiated to death with microwaves.
saferemr.com/2017/09/5G-moratorium12.html
saferemr.com/2018/07/international-perspective-on-health.html
healthimpactnews.com/2018/5g-technology-is-coming-linked-to-cancer-heart-disease-diabetes-alzheimers-and-death/
eluxemagazine.com/magazine/dangers-of-5g/
ehtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/Scientist-5G-appeal-2017.pdf

Boy that's not true. Do you even into tech?

The primary purpose of 5G is to drop the wattage needed to access the interwebs. Everything else is just icing on top of it.

>He believes Musk is gonna take people to Mars in 2 years with a non-existent rocket
>Supports Drumpf
It al checks in

>5G kills you slowly
>but you access information much faster so you spend less time waiting for websites to load

>overall a net positive

Didn't think this one through, did you?

>implying I do either of those things
You know you're fucking up when your only responses are shit you made up.

Blame Musk promoting weed

Wait until Huawei or Samsung put a 5G modem in their phones, you won't stop hearing about it.

I remember when HTC put an early 4G modem in a Verizon-exclusive phone which was actually a separate 45nm modem with a 65nm transceiver and consumed so much power it halved the phone's battery to 3 hours and turned it unusable with overheating warnings displayed on the screen.
And reviewers were like "How can you even buy an iPhone, it doesn't even support 4G".

Of course, by next year Apple was using the proper 28nm modem which worked just fine and was (one of?) the first to do it.

Basically, when the time comes for the 5G gimmick to be launched, they'll make it seem like the second coming of Jesus. It's bollocks.

Technically he did that by just doing that podcast. Joe Rogan is a spineless textbook libshit.

Mechanical keyboards don't promise to do anything other than be keyboards, and they do that. Not exactly snake oil.

They're more like a cheap sub-luxury for autists who use computers a lot.

Those were around for decades before Musk.

Wrong.

Attached: SpaceX.webm (853x480, 761K)

Shut up. Musk is a genius, he made a rocket more powerful than the best rocket from the 60's

>Those were around for decades before Musk.
Then please, show us, when, where and why were they forgotten?

Also wrong.
The Falcon Heavy is not as powerful as the Saturn V.

Musk's achievements in rocketry are landing and reusing rockets, and making it extremely cheap to launch to space (compared to the competition and historic figures).

Once the Raptor engine is operational, it will also be the first full-flow staged combustion engine in operation. The Soviets originally built one but never operated it. NASA believed it was physically impossible. SpaceX has already tested the engine and it's working.

Attached: SpaceX.png (445x156, 18K)

Brainfart, sorry. When I wrote "mobile companies" I meant the mobile networks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-X

Nothing Musk has done or wants to do is new. He's literally this generation's Steve Jobs. Taking old tech and ideas, wrapping them up in shiny plastic and marketing it well.

The DC-X couldn't land autonomously you fucking moron.
>Another focus of the DC-X project was minimized maintenance and ground support. To this end, the craft was highly automated and required only three people to man its control center (two for flight operations and one for ground support).
Wow, it's almost as if you're a fucking moron who mindlessly parrots shit he hears in youtube videos.

see

Cloud

I have a 144hz 1440p screen and it's the best hardware purchase I've ever made faggot

The DC-X, like the New Shephard, were not orbital launchers.

The difficulty of going into orbit is getting enough horizontal speed, not going straight up and then coming back down.

The DC-X vertical test flights were no different than SpaceX's very early grasshopper test flights. Nothing like the real thing.

>get ridiculously cheap access to a supercomputer
>on a per minute rate
>from your couch
>at a moment's notice
>snek oil
wut

They use your computing power as part of their cloud.

Go home, Steve, you're drunk.

>UHD Phone screens
>Ultra thin everything
>Techwear

The DC-X never flew even remotely close to space, for starters.

While the technology probably could've allowed recoverable boosters much earlier (hell, Buran could manage a fully autonomous re-entry and glide landing back in the 80s), the fact is that SpaceX was the first to implement them successfully.

Mechanical keyboards
Water cooling
"Gamer" anything
144Hz+ screens
NVMe SSDs
3200+ MHz RAM

>gb
you're killing my insides

>Being a giant piece of shit that had the money to hire good engineers is something to be proud of

Musk is a massive shit bag who had the good fortune to be in the right place with the right people
His hyper loop concept will never work and he needs to learn to fucking shave

Attached: img_2937.jpg (820x595, 148K)

>Shipping with 2gb of ram when the OS takes 1.3gb alone is fucking retarded
The vast majority of netbooks shipped with 1GB of memory and Windows XP ULCPC, which could run on as low as 128MB of RAM.

I thought it was about better tracking? Aren't 5G cells smaller?

>dedicates his whole life, health and ever-increasing fortune to the betterment of mankind
>has a proven track record of not caring even if he goes broke doing it
>massive shit bag
You have an interesting definition of shitbag.

Musk being a shitty person does not make SpaceX and Tesla products snake oil.

see

Oh I see, you're a commie

Read a book moron

Attached: Unions.jpg (604x591, 51K)

That is not what I'm claiming though, the things SpaceX make might be useful in the future but he's a bloated, arrogant, ruthless cunt who's doing little but pissing money away on fantasy products,abuses his workforce and can't keep his mouth shut

Also
>Tesla
>Useful
The future is in mass transport and vehicles with swappable batteries, Tesla is a money pit for idiots

>Mention unions once
>Automatically a commie
Good strawman

>fuck private ownership (of cars)
>he abuses his workforce (who are free to quit at any time)
>muh unions
>speaks his mind
For someone claiming not to be a communist you sure sound like a communist.

When you're older you'll be able to put a label on people like "Commie" and ignore what they say without having to read commie crap like "the future is in mass transport".

Labelling people and putting them in categories is useful. Stereotypes exist for a reason. It saves you a lot of trouble. All the successful people do it, chief of all the President.

I hope you'll also realize the car is a symbol of individualism and freedom one day.

he's not spineless, he just doesn't give a fuck about anything unless it stops him from smoking weed.

>he's not spineless
>he just doesn't give a fuck about anything
I don't think that's an upgrade. That's true, he's a hardcore brown noser. He flip-flops on every issue (except weed) according to his guests' preferences, it's disgusting.

>He flip-flops on every issue (except weed) according to his guests' preferences, it's disgusting.
I don't see why. you don't have to have a political opinion on every little thing, especially topics you never bothered to educate yourself in.
I don't personally share Rogan's mentality but I also don't see what's wrong with it.

the bottom thing isn't even illegal. what the fuck are you talking about?

I didn't say fuck private ownership of cars at any point though? I said that Tesla was a money sink for idiots

The way that the power source is distributed in the vehicle means the entire car has to be essentially treated as disposable as its cost prohibitive to replace them

Note I said that vehicles with replaceable power sources are the future, there are already E-Motorcycles on the market that have this feature and cars aren't too far off

>speaks his mind
>Lies about taking his company private to fuck with investors
>Accuses a man of being a pedophile with no evidence because the man hurt his fee-fees by pointing out his useless thing was useless
>Whines like a spoilt child when people take issue with an extremely wealthy and relatively powerful man acting like an idiot

Such a strong voice for good in this dark world

>one guy single-handedly provides half a million jobs
>b-b-b-but he's MEAN ON TWITTER!
Yeah, he's the spoilt child with the hurt fee-fees. Based on your complete absence of self-awareness, I'm guessing you're...17 years old.

So, once again since you're slow. Musk is not a visionary. He's not an engineer. He has no idea how any of the things he wants to do work. Everything he wants to do has either been done or started by other people. All he is is a guy with a lot of money to buy the people who actually get this shit done.

yeah but he has money and power so that means we have to kiss his feet when he does mildly generous things that he directly benefits from

Attached: bootlicker.jpg (750x757, 49K)

>He's not an engineer.
>implying he wasn't the engineering lead in the first rocket
you're so salty I'm starting to think you're a democrat.

I like "gamer" rigs for sale though. You can get a machine with decent specs comparable to scientific computing workstations for about 60% of the price.

You just have to put up with the "game aesthetic styling".

>*on
obviously

nothing you said is in the categories he provided.

>being this stupid

>data plan
>the end in terms of phone resolutions,
Don't let outdated modes of commerce get in the way of better non-wired connectivity options. Not everyone can afford a microwave hookup.

>nb4 NPC invasion to defend The Musky Weed man

Too late, the bootlickers have already arrived to protect daddy baby man

Some of us want to see that big fucking mars rocket fly.

sub 240Hz eyelet detected

What about real time low latency game streaming? All you need is a screen and an internet connection and people claim 5g tech can push 144 frames of 4k goodness while accepting my inputs with under 3ms of latency

t. jew

Attached: 1523585348246.jpg (2950x2001, 1.21M)

Sponsored posts aren't allowed.

Attached: reynolds-foil.jpg (1200x800, 120K)

Thoughts of elon and his companies aside, that's fucking impressive.

You clearly don't understand what snake oil means and are just an assmad kid who feels a need to shit on Musk.

Attached: 1532178246040.png (670x728, 554K)

Yes, most normies don't need a ton of storage since they use all this cloud garbage, which is precisely why HDDs bigger than 1, maybe 2, terabytes aren't being marketed towards them. The only people buying big hard drives are the ones who actually need them, so it's not snake oil.

>HTC put an early 4G modem in a Verizon-exclusive
Is this the one?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Evo_4G

>t. never tried high refresh rate gaming
60 is a slideshow.

You have to go back.

>doing little but pissing money away
Who the fuck are you to tell someone else how best to spend their money? Also you contradicted yourself real good there. Go to bed, kid.

techrepublic.com/article/samsung-hynix-micron-sued-for-dram-price-fixing-that-could-have-raised-pc-prices/
It is though.

It is when it's anti-competitive.

smartphones
More powerful, but less capable and more expensive than computers. The screen cracks, suddenly unusable. Locked down hardware. Terrible apps.
Worst meme of the decade, probably the century.

But how are they snake oil?

They "solved" a nonexistent problem (internet anywhere!) in order to get far more information about you in real time. Think location, phone info, call/sms timing and network, in-app telemetry, etc. All of it was to mine you for information, and buy subscription products disguised as apps.
I'm doing an experiment this year where I don't use my phone for anything except calls. No internet, no gps, it doesn't even come with me so it can't track my location.

>implying this doesn't make musk based and redpilled

(cont.)
I worked for an ad company that would download huge video ads to your phone while on wifi, so it can play them while you were on mobile or while disconnected. It would then wait until you were back online to send telemetry data back (views/clicks/conversions). Ever wonder why apps seem to bloat and take all the space on phones? This is partially why.
Our primary clients were F2P games, usually advertising *other* F2P games. Each would be a separate instance that stored ads EACH. We weren't the only one in the space either. There are dozens of ad companies for every conceivable niche.
All this is happening on your phone right now. Now ask yourself: what did you buy?

Yes it is you stupid nigger

>They "solved" a nonexistent problem (internet anywhere!) in order to get far more information about you in real time.
If you think being able to access the internet or use GPS almost anywhere then you're a fucking idiot. You're like those stupid fucking boomer sharing their bits of wisdom on facebook about how smartphones ruined everything. Too bad you've got it all backwards. Mobile internet and GPS came first, because they were actually useful and marketable features, but then those pesky Jews figured out how to milk those features to the very last shekel.
P.S. I'm looking forward to your dumbass reply which will basically boil down to "I don't need it therefore no-one else does therefore it is useless".

>If you think being able to access the internet or use GPS almost anywhere
*is useless

>but then those pesky Jews figured out how to milk those features to the very last shekel.
That's my point. Before smartphones, there was a federated number of discreet devices. Lots of different MP3 players, GPS devices, feature phones with texting, an emerging market of smartphones (palm, blackberry, Windows CE) that fell short, and digital cameras. If anything the only key piece was an internet connection from these devices. They needed another device for the internet. At first we all liked smartphones precisely because we didn't need all those separate devices.
But now? It's only Apple and Android. Likewise you *need* internet connection in order to use many of the apps on your phone. This isn't a problem when you are always connected, but again you are now *constantly* sending information back.
>I'm looking forward to your dumbass reply
I honestly don't have one. I am part of the problem. Way back when I used to lament fixing the never-ending stream of crap that Windows users infected themselves. The smartphone fixed this by being relatively unbreakable for the average user. But I got what I wished for, because now it's almost unbreakable for me as well. That's why I call it snake oil. Beware of technology that takes power from you.

Too bad you never will L M A O

Attached: 1540022442828.jpg (680x704, 52K)

Those fucking "gamer" glasses that are just tinted yellow.
I saw a guy on campus wearing them the other day and had me look through them like they would do fuck all.