Redpill me on CS degree

Redpill me on CS degree
I am a history major graduate who did some coding on the side and was able to get a job in the industry. Meanwhile my classmates who went in to CS and Cyber sec can't get any work after graduation and have to do unpaid internships.
I was thinking about getting a second degree in either math or CS, just for the sake of since I can study for cheap in Europe. I simply don't see anything useful that I am going to get from CS degree. I have learnt or can learn most of the practical stuff on my own and most of the theory is pretty useless, unless I am going to write my own compiler.

install gentoo

>CS != programming
You need to go to school for cs
>Europe
Why is your tech so shit. Come to the us. The west coast hands out paid internships and 6 figure return offers like fucking candy.

Autism,trap,neckbeard,gamers party 4 years

college doesn't guarantee shit. And since not as many people trust degrees in the tech industry, it's worth even less on its own.

You do need it however if you want to get certain jobs. BUT, again, there's no substitute for actually being good at what you do. Because if you're not, you won't get a job.

these people will be unemployed. You need to be good with people for a lot of CS jobs. They're team jobs, so if you can't work on a team what's the point of you at all.

why do women take picture like this?

> history major graduate
> I simply don't see anything useful that I am going to get from CS degree

lel

>women

Attached: 8758e3eec2f0378e0620b3f88b07bbf7.jpg (879x1280, 169K)

If you already have a job in the field and corporate doesnt have any incentives for you to get a degree, then there is absolutely no reason to get one. They are too much of a time wasting expense to count as a "nice to have".

Based

Programming isn't computer science and it never was.
Programming is a skill you learn, more similar to a trade then to an actual University degree.

If you go into CS to "program" then you are wasting an enormous amount of time and probably won't make it very far.

>math
Good luck, if you manage to do a math degree in 3 Years while also working full-time, then you probably will make it very far. More probable is that you will get chewed out during the first year.

If CS is not programming then how its more useful than gender studies?

>then how its more useful than gender studies?
Because there is more to a computer then program it. You have to build it, understand it and develop algorithms for it, that is what computer SCIENCE is about.

The point of science is NOT to create products, that is engineering, but to better understand how to engineer things.

It's like asking "If math isn't arithmetic then how is it more useful then gender studies".

>build it
You dont know shit about hardware
>understand it
As you dont know hardware you dont really understand the implementation
>develop algorithms
Thats programming

>It's like asking "If math isn't arithmetic then how is it more useful then gender studies".

But a math major is literally gender studies tier or you fell for the 300k starting meme

>You dont know shit about hardware
Why?

>As you dont know hardware you dont really understand the implementation
No?

>Thats programming
No, most papers about algorithms don't even include a single line of real code.

>But a math major is literally gender studies tier or you fell for the 300k starting meme
Guess we cut analysis, linear algebra, DEs and numerics from University then. Maybe we didn't need bridges or electronics after all?

>He thinks computer science is about computers

Either undegrad or neet. CS is a specialized math major

>CS is a specialized math major
Yes. A computer can be modelled mathematically.

Computer science existed before computer programming. CS is about computing, not computers.

Computing is using a pattern to turn data into other data. CS is mostly about analyzing and creating these patterns.

Yeah cs majors end up being great programmers, most of them even take software engineering classes in their undergrad so that they become capable of writing good code / become employable. In most cases a CS student will come out of their undergrad with a solid knowledge of algorithms, which is where most of their value come from in corporate environments. You shouldn't confuse algorithms with coding because you don't need a programming language to write an algorithm. Similarly, almost all of the top cited computer science books/papers do not have any code whatsoever in them, most notation is written mathematically. A professor in one of my theory classes literally had never written a program before.

CS in most cases is pretty much just applied math and in a few cases its not-so-applied math.

your friends probably didn't do to internships and are shit at technical interviews

a cs degree isn't a golden ticket, getting a job is pretty much merit based due to technical interviews.

And like any industry its pretty hard to get your foot in the door with a shit resume

>cs is applied math
No it isn't. Anyone who told you that undergrad cs is some theoretical math was bullshitting you hard. You wont do true cs like that until you start your masters / phd.

If your school is shit, then CS = programming. Otherwise cs should be a combination of algorithms and software engineering so that way you're actually employable.

most STEMfags can't read

lol where do you live

West coast. Didnt go to a top 5 school but a pretty decent one. CS there is actually under our engineering school.

yikes

Lmao it's better than trash schools that think their cs is some phd level theory. If you think that then you probably dont understand algorithms

Attached: The truth about CS.png (1155x409, 89K)

>I am a history major graduate who did some coding on the side and was able to get a job in the industry

This is very common.

Attached: CS degree jobs.png (823x378, 56K)

a cs major from a good school is very useful if you want to be a computer scientist. if you want to be a software engineer, it will open up doors for you in that avenue, but be careful about the amount of debt you go into. the median salary for a programmer is like 50k.

CS is a good degree, is full of rare random people like me xD

If you into computers, anime or gaming it's definitively for you.

Attached: image.jpg (495x600, 251K)

>Cyber sec not getting work
Your friends must be shit

>50k
Holy shit that's trash. Assuming you dont reside in buttfuck nowhere, you should atleast start at 90k if you went to school. Otherwise you got memed

>I simply don't see anything useful that I am going to get from CS degree
Because you won't. Go for math.
>and most of the theory is pretty useless
Then why the fuck are you considering going to school in the first place? Schooling is for theorizing, not job training. If mathematically proving that you can't prove nuffin about Turing machines doesn't give you a brain bonner, you shouldn't go.

If you want to do more important stuff where you work that requires some problem solving and optimization, a CS degree will get you there. Without a CS degree you're definitely employable, but you're kinda stuck in "full stack" or other bullshit like that that monkeys can do well. At least with a degree, you can work on network security, backend shit, and stuff with actual substance and logic.

Also if you want to get into AI, please don't try. My school offers an intelligence specialization that every fucking CS major and minor here takes thinking they'll get a cool ML job, when in all reality you're not going to get anything ML related at a job without a PhD.

lol history falls into the category of gender studies so be careful with your edges moron

>requires some problem solving and optimization
>a CS degree will get you there
No.

Because they are eurotrash, don't invite them over here or they'll invade with work visas like the curry niggers.

>All these people with reddit spacing